• Matt Taylor

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Taylor 29 Mar, 2015

One of the best blockbusters of the best ten years?

I'd say so.

One of the best blockbusters of my lifetime?

Probably.

One of the best blockbusters of all time?

I like to think so.

Everything works together so well and not a single minute is wasted. It's also beautiful looking, well acted (Marion Cotillard is unreal), and has one hell of an ending. I hadn't returned to it since high school, and it definitely held up in my mind.…

• bigfilmguy

★½ Added by bigfilmguy

this Film is such a minefuck

• Jeremy Clark

★★★★★ Added by Jeremy Clark

If movies are shared dreams, then Christopher Nolan is surely one of the world’s most inventive dreamers, given the evidence of Inception. With its ambitious themes, elegant production design and a superb ensemble cast, he has proven his skill once again. Smart, innovative, and thrilling, Inception is that rare summer blockbuster that succeeds emotionally as well as intellectually, a film that takes radical, imaginative leaps on the way to its thrilling denouement. As layered dreamscapes crumble in a glorious symphony, as the subconscious maze unravels and characters reach catharsis, Inception attains a level of beautiful, high-class chaos that should be the envy of every filmmaker.

• Christian

★★★★★ Watched by Christian 23 Jul, 2010

One of my favourite movies from this decade.

• elias1026

★★★★★ Rewatched by elias1026 29 Mar, 2015

MOVIE A DAY FOR A YEAR - DAY 365

Film #4

As I finally wrap up my year-long challenge, I will watch all of my top four favorite films today. I start with Inception, my number four pick. I don't think that I can write a full and comprehensive review of Inception, at least not now, because I'm afraid to. I don't think that I could possibly capture the essence of this film, and accurately describe why I love it…

• juliankarian

Added by juliankarian

Another scene I could use for my essay is the opening sequence of the film, where Dom Cobb infiltrates a dream in order to steal information. In this scene there is a dream within a dream and there is cross-cutting to alternate between the two dreams. Particularly the cross-cutting that happens around the "kick" in order to wake Dom up helps the audience to how the two dreams affect each other.

• juliankarian

★★★★★ Added by juliankarian

I'm not sure what the specific time is in the movie, because I found the scene on youtube, but this scene is the climax of the movie, when all of the layers of dream begin to collapse and the characters wake up between the different dreams. This complex style of editing is heavily dependent on cross-cutting which was made possible by DW Griffith's Lonedale Operator in 1911. The Lonedale Operator created cross-cutting as a stylistic innovation, but it opened up the door for films such as Inception that rely on cross-cutting for the plot of jumping back and forth between dreams and reality.

• Dan Scully

★★★★ Added by Dan Scully

Summer blockbusters don't have to be stupid, and smart movies don't have to be slogs.

• Warren Mitchell

★★★★★ Watched by Warren Mitchell 16 Jul, 2010

Throughout the movie, the characters go through so many levels that it would virtually seem impossible to pull off each challenge. At the end, they prove that they are not only masterminds, but also superhumans.

Score: 100/100

Recommendation: Anyone

• Robert Frost

★★★★½ Rewatched by Robert Frost 25 Mar, 2015

Mindblowing cinema.

• Ben_Macdonald

Rewatched by Ben_Macdonald 17 Dec, 2012

Dominick Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a thief who uses a shared dreaming machine to enter others’ subconscious and steal corporate secrets. He is hired by a Japanese businessman to infiltrate the mind of a competitor and plant an idea in his subconscious. The plotting becomes increasingly intricate as dreams unfold within dreams and time becomes increasingly elongated. Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight) shuns the usual surrealist conventions of dream films in favour of the intensely logical. Because dreams only strike us as strange after waking, the dreams of Inception aren’t bizarre fantasies but showcase a skewed logic reminiscent of the illustrations of M.C. Escher.

• pared3s