• Mickey Chiechi

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mickey Chiechi 04 Jul, 2015 1

CHRONOLOGICAL SPIELBERG-A-THON FILM #8:

Being a fan of pulp adventure along the lines of Burroughs and Haggard makes it pretty tough for me not to love this movie. This could totally be a direct adaptation of a Tarzan novel.

Raiders is definitely the better movie, but this is more fun. It's propulsive, pulpy and nothing but setpiece after setpiece leading to another setpiece. There is always action going on, even if only on a very low key level. An early exposition scene in which Willie is trying to get the elephant to stop touching her is a perfect example.

Also, yeah, Willie's terrible. Oh well.

• FilmGuy1997

★★★★½ Added by FilmGuy1997

Despite being a little too dark, this film is entertaing and exciting.

• Alex_Baratheon

★★★ Watched by Alex_Baratheon 01 Jul, 2015

A somewhat lackluster prequel to its superior predecessor, The Temple of Doom attempts to tread new territory without much success. Instead of the lighthearted adventure I was expecting, I found a film that was sometimes akin to the brainless Hollywood action flicks of the 80s, full of unnecessary violence and over-stylized gore.

With that said though, The Temple of Doom is still an enjoyable film. The elements it retains from Indy's silver screen debut are just as fun, and the…

• Paul Phoenix

★★★★ Watched by Paul Phoenix 30 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I'll admit, action isn't my favorite genre. Unless the action involves stunts that would blow my mind, I'd prefer a thriller or drama any day.

That said - goddamn. Temple of Doom is one hilarious movie, and a very fun adventure. What an amazing sequel that surpasses its predecessor in many ways.

Sure, there are still a few ridiculous action tropes needed for the plot to move along, like the timely arrival of the cavalry to rescue Indiana from the…

• Eclectic Cinephile

★★★★ Watched by Eclectic Cinephile 25 Jun, 2015

Yes, I know this is one of the films that many people don't like. Yes I know it's controversial for its PG-rated violence. Yes, I understand that Last Crusade is considered better.

But, even so, I loved this film. I really really enjoyed it. I loved its darker tone, its homage to old British epics, and its ballsy "bruised-forearm" action-packed atmosphere.

Almost all of the filmmaking elements are good. The cinematography is awesome, the music is tension-packed and exhilarating, Harrison…

• Brandon

★★★ Watched by Brandon 28 Jun, 2015

First half, maybe even first 2/3 of this film, had me distressed due to how many different aspects of the film could be so downright bad. Whether it was the dumbed-down dialogue, weak narrative, or the oh so annoying supporting characters (I'm talking about you, Kate Capshaw), I was thoroughly disappointed and frankly uninterested. The third act rolls around, and finally The Temple of Doom picks up that energy, suspense, and tension that was expected after what Raiders of the…

• Arielle

★★★★½ Watched by Arielle 28 Jun, 2015

Feels like I stepped on a fortune cookie!

• Ken Guidry

★★★★ Watched by Ken Guidry 28 Jun, 2015

I thought I saw this movie when I was a kid. Now that I own the Indiana Jones boxset on blu-ray, only a few scenes rung a bell for me.

Not as good as 'Raiders' and Kate Capshaw is rather annoying, but goddamn, that last hour is just relentlessly thrilling.

• eschwa22

★★★ Added by eschwa22

6/10: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆

• SmokingPizza

★★★★★ Added by SmokingPizza

Yes, I'll have the chilled monkey brains with a side of Doom, please.

• Ross Bonaime

★★★ Rewatched by Ross Bonaime 22 Jun, 2015

As I said in my review of Raiders of the Lost Ark, I didn't grow up with the Indiana Jones films and therefore I don't have the inherent love for the series that most people do. With Raiders however, I can admire the quality action storytelling and the fantastic world that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have teamed up to create. I can't say though that there's all that much to admire in Temple of Doom.

Indiana Jones of course…

• Sean

★★★ Rewatched by Sean 20 Jun, 2015

Popcorn Palace at the Balboa Theater!