• Holden Meinhopf

★★★★ Added by Holden Meinhopf

Infection is a film by prolific Japanese horror director Masauki Ochiai (also known for 2008's Shutter). It takes place in an understaffed and underfunded hospital. A patient is brought in by an ambulance, but the hospital clearly cannot handle someone with an infection of this type. The hospital director, however, is convinced this will be the doctors' break-through discovery and bring them all fat grant checks. As with all horror movies, there are, of course, disastrous consequences.

What I liked…

• Alice Bishop

★★★ Watched by Alice Bishop 28 Feb, 2016

If you’re looking for an unintentionally comical alternative to hospital dramas like Grey’s Anatomy and Chicago Med, this low budget horror movie comes as a welcome substitute with enough green slime and spine-tingling atmosphere to keep horror fans satisfied.

Playing out as a J-horror version of Danish mini-series The Kingdom, the film may be a bit lacklustre when it comes to decent scares but it has enough atmosphere and sheer madness to amuse those with a taste for the subversive,…

• David Lecter

★½ Watched by David Lecter 27 Jan, 2016

Es una de esas películas que compro sin pensarlo dos veces con la convicción de que será una JOYITA.
    Y, bueno, no es tan mala.
    Es rara, pero no como David Lynch; es rara sin sentido.
    Empieza siendo bastante básica y eso juega a su favor, entretiene.
    Acaba sorprendiendo con un final interesante, o eso parece hasta que pasé más de un segundo intentando brindarle coherencia.

• Jarrett

★★ Watched by Jarrett 18 Oct, 2015

I'd seen this pop up on random horror 'best ofs' over the years, so thought I'd finally get around to watching it this year. Underwhelmed! Really felt like a cheap television production, with no real attempt to go beyond whatever limitations there were.

• Paul Waller

★★½ Added by Paul Waller

Wanted to like this one a lot more than i did.

It's sort of ace & also really shabby... I dunno what to make of it....

I don't wanna watch it again. I know that much.

• street

★★½ Watched by street 30 Aug, 2015

There's a malpractice suit heating up in Room 1, an old woman with dementia is obsessed with her own reflection in the hallway, the disgraced surgeon is feverishly sewing a bit of pig skin in the lab, and some sort of infection is spreading throughout the hospital thanks to the green goo that escaped into an AC vent.

There are so many narrative threads it's like someone took a hospital horror anthology and *shook it up* so all the stories…

• Darren Fx

★★★½ Watched by Darren Fx 07 Aug, 2015

"He looked at me and smiled"

Creepy, gory and confusing as fuck.

The twists were the highlights of Infection, which was not what I was expecting from a film marketed as a zombie film. Instead it incorporated elements of drama, zombie and ghost films all into one. The outcome is something that cannot be explained, only seen.

• JD Frew

★★★½ Watched by JD Frew 08 May, 2015

Film #25 of the Scavenger Hunt #2 Challenge
    A film featuring a disease
    ___________________________________________________________

A rather eerie Japanese horror set in a hospital and filled with plenty of green goo. Definitely strange, and tries to develop more story than is really necessary, but still an excellent watch. I'm a sucker for creepy hospital settings too.

• Grafield

★★★ Added by Grafield

Do you like movies where Japanese people turn into puddles of green goo, one by one? It's a pretty niche genre. There are some tense moments and a shock ending that falls a bit flat, but probably seemed like a good idea at the time to the writers. Some of the characters are pretty interesting, like the senior doctor who is willing to potentially sacrifice a patient or two if it means that his legacy is secured as the first to study and identify the titular infection.

• Boost

★★½ Watched by Boost 04 Jan, 2015

An ambulance drops a contagious patient off at a critically understaffed, isolated hospital. Is the hospital haunted? It's a scary movie from Japan, of course it's haunted! There are some good scenes, it's eerie, and there is a keen sense of dread. However, the effects are like Fulci incubated inside Nickelodeon Splat City. The direction leaves much to be desired.

• Javier

★★★★★ Watched by Javier 29 Dec, 2014

Loved every second of it

• zuhair vazir

★★★ Added by zuhair vazir

Horror has a new strain.

I always wanted to write taglines.

Jokes aside, Infection looks like a genre clone but turns out to be a dangerous bacteria that grows like sin, turning the people into even more numb creatures followed by a rapid liquidation of film assets. Hahahahaha.

The film by Masayuki Ochiai (Saimin, 1999') is fun to watch and it has that feeling of old Cronenberg and Carpenter films. Plus the twist in the end is hilariously creepy and…