• Jeff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff 24 Aug, 2015

Henry Drummond: I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands.

So you say you want to be an actor. Here is your lesson watch Spencer Tracy and Fredric March go toe to toe and you will see some of the best examples of reacting to your scene partne everr. These two can make…

• Kyle Sykes

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Sykes 14 Jul, 2015

Add this to my list of favorite courtroom dramas!! School teacher Bertram Cates (Dick York) gets put on trial for so much as having the balls to discuss evolution with his class. Prosecuting his case is the renowned Matthew Harrison Brady (Fredric March), a staunch Darwinist and a Biblical scholar.

Serving as Cates defense is another well known attorney Henry Drummond (Spencer Tracy), who happens to have known Brady for years. He was asked to come by the journalist E.K.…

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

The Scopes trial as “fictionalized” by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee. Spencer Tracy does his cuddly curmudgeon turn as Clarence Darrow; it's a lazy, vague performance, but its wit provides the only crack of light in the film's somber, gray overcast. With Fredric March as William Jennings Bryan and Dick York, soft in the background, as Scopes. Stanley Kramer directed this 1960 feature, and the material suits him obscenely well. 128 min.

• Rosp

★★★★ Added by Rosp

Nota = 8,5

• Ernst_Bitterman

★★★½ Added by Ernst_Bitterman

I wish I knew what it was that maked Stanley Kramer drive a piece of music into the gods-damned ground the way he did. He very nearly destroyed On the Beach the previous year with this tic of his, and he seriously undercuts this film with it. I think the damage is less severe in this case because you can almost believe a bunch of worked-up zealots belting out the same song over and again to the point of madness.…

• feedingbrett

★★★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 15 Jun, 2015 2

Included In Lists:
    Great Movies
    Strong Performances - Fredric March

The battle of science vs religion remains within the repeated discussions of our period, with loyalties still devoted to a singular side, and the idea of dabbling both would be an act of betrayal from either camp. The two divided concepts have played a tug of war against one another within my heart and mind, throughout the formulating years of my life, unable to decide which of the two made…

• Mike

★★★ Watched by Mike 09 Jun, 2015

This film was made in 1960.

I can't fucking believe we still have trials about teaching evolution in schools.

Points for Colonel Potter being in it.

• Scott Audetat

★★★½ Watched by Scott Audetat 25 May, 2015

Okay, I love me some courtroom drama. I hate religious bigotry. So while the court scenes were masterfully acted and paced, it was really, really hard to watch one lawyer spout off all this religious gibberish.

And when it was outside the court, it was a lot of backwards thinking people saying nothing but religious stuff.

Basically, it made me want to jump in the movie and bitch slap the Jesus right out of these people. I know that's harsh…

• Loz Villalba

★★★½ Watched by Loz Villalba 30 Apr, 2015

This was definitely an interesting watch. The back and forth between the main characters Drummond and Brady was just really spot on. The two really take those characters and run with it. Also, Gene Kelly as Hornbeck (who is really H. L. Mencken) was incredible.

• BAG

★★★★ Watched by BAG 30 Apr, 2015

An incredible display of acting skill.

This a perfect example of when an amazing script is combined with amazing actors. Gene Kelly steals every scene he's in.

• John Lagerholm

★★★★ Watched by John Lagerholm 14 Apr, 2015

Terrific writing. Gene Kelly is terrific. Always amazing to me that this is based on a true story. Seems so long ago.

• TOVALILL TROLL

★★★★ Added by TOVALILL TROLL

The fight, the strength, of two grumpy old men makes the theme of no importance - it´s a fight worth watching.
    The cynical Gene Kelly is perfect as a counterweight.