• SJHoneywell

★★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

The Scopes Monkey Trial
    Through mildly fictional lens.
    A true masterpiece.

1001plus.blogspot.com/2012/06/watching-oscar-inherit-wind.html

• Emmett Foss

★★★★½ Watched by Emmett Foss 27 Jan, 2015

Great movie. Spencer, March, and Kelly all give wonderful performances.

• Ingmar

★★★ Watched by Ingmar 20 Jan, 2015

Rather than being an agnostic wet dream as a member of my English class claimed (his phrasing was a little different), Inherit the Wind is a commentary on fanaticism, and the need to be open-minded. Religion is the backdrop, but by the end of the film ignorant devotees and cruel skeptics alike are criticized by the Stanley Kramer. As is the case in all his films, the message is blunt, but powerful nonetheless.

I often found myself admiring Ernest Laszlo's…

• Timothy85

★★★ Rewatched by Timothy85 20 Jan, 2015

Back in the days when Stanley Kramer was one of my favourite directors and Fredric March one of my favourite actors, I often gave this as an example of my least favourite work of both both actor and director. But, in the intervening years I have found an affinity for it. Much like Karmer's other message movies, it sacrificies subtlety for grandstanding. But, also like Kramer's most successful films (The Defiant Ones, On the Beach, Judgement at Nuremberg), the message…

• Jake Mulligan

★★★ Watched by Jake Mulligan 31 Dec, 2014

Hardly radical, but far more conflicted and jagged than Kramer's reputation would suggest. Reviewed the Blu-ray for EDGE.

• FakeRobHunter

★★★ Watched by FakeRobHunter 03 Jan, 2015

A bit too simple at times and doesn't always exist on a level playing field, but it's a sharp, witty and fast-moving slice of history all the same.

Worth it for Spencer Tracy's George C. Scott impression alone.

• Logan Jones

★★★★ Watched by Logan Jones 29 Dec, 2014

It’s fair to say that I may never have watched Inherit the Wind were it not for the fact that I was recently in a school production of it. I played the role of Henry Drummond, based on the infamous defence lawyer Clarence Darrow (a figure of great interest for Kevin Spacey) and here played by Spencer Tracy.

The film, by Stanley Kramer, is based on the play by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee, and is itself a fictionalisation…

• kikeherrmann

★★★½ Watched by kikeherrmann 26 Dec, 2014

La herencia del viento.

¿Ciencia o Fe?
    Extraordinaria película que juzga a un maestro por las enseñanzas de la teoría de la evolución de Darwin y que sienta muy mal en la anclada sociedad sureña de Estados Unidos.
    Un ortodoxo Fredrich March defendiendo la Biblia y atacando a todo aquello que pueda contrariarla, y Spencer Tracy, en un papel extraordinario, defendiendo al maestro, pero sobre todo atacando a la sociedad corta de miras y viviendo en el pasado.

Por cierto, el final no es como el de 12 hombres sin piedad.

• NellaiRajan

★★★★ Added by NellaiRajan

Inherit the Wind (1960)

Based on a real-life case in 1925, two great lawyers argue the case for and against a science teacher accused of the crime of teaching evolution

One of the finest movie ever made,The story line depicts how ignorance and blind faith and It's beautifully reflects the social values of that time. If you love to see court room drama then this is the perfect movie for you.
    Definitely worth your time .

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★½ Watched by Varghese Eapen 20 Nov, 2014

"Whoever brings ruin on their family will inherit only wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise" - Proverbs 11:29

Two Legends fight it out in a titanic tussle. I bet the Real Life Courtroom Drama was even more powerful for those who watched it...

• Scott Molling

★★ Watched by Scott Molling 15 Nov, 2014

I'm wholly unaware of the original context of this play, but watched in a modern context it has lost any real bite it might've once had. The debate of religion vs evolution is not particularly well argued by either side, and the characters (especially the religious ones) are so crudely drawn that there's no interest in painting any of them as real human beings. As far as the movie's concerned, they all just represent ideas. The one great take away from the film is Gene Kelly's performance, as he brings a necessary light-heartedness to the whole affair that's sorely lacking from the rest of the film.

• Juliano Cezar

★★★★★ Watched by Juliano Cezar 21 Oct, 2014

Along with 12 Angry Men and Judgement at Nuremberg, one of the best courtroom dramas ever made.
    The splendid acting of Tracy and March makes the struggle between them so intense and Gene Kelly's character has a cynicism that we all love to hate.
    Easily, one of the best movies I've ever seen.