• SaneSide

★★★★ Watched by SaneSide 05 May, 2016

A great throwback to the golden age of martial arts films. Very well choreographed and surprisingly emotionally compelling. Great at what it copies and just subversive enough to set itself apart.

• mattheweg

★★★★ Added by mattheweg

Marvel movies are dumb.

• Rakestraw

★★½ Watched by Rakestraw 27 Apr, 2016

All of the fight scenes were incredible, the filming and the choreography; although, I will say they are entirely predictable because no one - I mean no one - even comes remotely close to matching the skills of Ip Man (motherfucker's like a Wing Chun Superman). He destroys everyone, but at the same time I enjoyed witnessing him destroy everyone.

Everything in between the fighting...uhhmmmmmm...no thanks. Donnie Yen has one facial expression and he deploys that facial expression in a…

• Rashad Lateef

★★★½ Watched by Rashad Lateef 26 Apr, 2016

Portraying Yip Man as nearly superhuman came close to unnerving me. But on the other hand, it feels awesome to watch someone so great at what they do – because they do it best.

And right now I'm talking about Donnie Yen as much as his character.

• Takawira

★★★★★ Watched by Takawira 28 Apr, 2016

eepsy voo

• Braden Hamm

★★★½ Watched by Braden Hamm 23 Apr, 2016

If martial arts were this fun to watch in real life, UFC wouldn't be a thing.

• Nick

★★★½ Added by Nick

A martial arts flick with more heart and soul than most. The martial arts, choreography, and nature of the film are so beautiful and enthralling you'll forget you're even watching a movie.

• Glorbes

Watched by Glorbes 23 Apr, 2016

Solid, entertaining martial arts film, with Donnie Yen giving a quiet. dignified performance. The "true story" aspect of this gives me pause, as it follows a very neat and tidy narrative, and idealizes Ip Man as someone possessing god-like power. If you can swallow that the story has been hammered into something that feels a bit genre-standard and biopic friendly, you'll have a good time.

I liked it enough to want to check out part 2 at least.

• rossboyask

★★★★ Rewatched by rossboyask 24 Apr, 2016

One of the best martial arts films of modern times.

• Paul Mizzi

★★★★ Watched by Paul Mizzi 23 Apr, 2016

Hansomly made martial arts bio-pic featuring a comanding lead performance from Donnie Yen. A great story supported by top notch production values and great martial arts choreography.

• Benjamin Rorick

★★★★½ Rewatched by Benjamin Rorick 20 Apr, 2016

That 1 vs 10 fight tho

Cheers!

• PatrickRipoll

★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

Resembles nothing more than an old-fashioned Hollywood crowd-pleaser, with it's big historical backdrop, Donnie Yen's genuine good-nature and movie-star smile, and intertitles (at the start, introducing the Japanese occupation, and the epilogue) straight out of the Michael Curtiz playbook. Hell, even the xenophobia* feels like classic Hollywood.

And as far as old-fashioned Hollywood crowd-pleasers go, this is well-crafted entertainment. It's remarkable how much tension Wilson Yip is able to wring out a scenario where the main character never even appears…