• dpettinger

★★★★ Watched by dpettinger 17 Aug, 2014

Donne Yen plays Ip Man or Yip Man, a reluctant Kung-Fu grandmaster and the film basically follows his life as it is affected by the Second Sino-Japanese War.

The first half seems a little like a 'take' on many of the old Kung-fu movies, with the various martial arts clubs trading blows and insults in a fairly light hearted way, then in the second half it changes quite dramatically and becomes a bit more of a serious film with actual…

• Sandro Wittwer

★★ Added by Sandro Wittwer

While the film has a few interesting fight scenes and, with Donnie Yen, a very charismatic lead, the film ultimately didn't work for me. The story was too drawn out, too unrealistic (which would be okay, if it wasn't sold as a biopic) and felt like propaganda to me.

• Sc8lo

★★★★ Rewatched by Sc8lo 14 Mar, 2011

Its been a long time since we had a Kung Fu movie like this. I would like to see more of Donnie Yen in these kind of movies. Lets bring the Kung Fu movie back please.

• Rackve

★★★★ Watched by Rackve 06 Aug, 2014

Ip Man es una biopic bastante entretenida y con humor, con su toque de drama la última media hora, las secuencias de acción están bien montadas y las coreografiaras son espectaculares.
    Me recordó mucho y tiene guiños a la trilogia Once upon a time in China, desde que las dos películas se llevan a cabo en la misma ciudad Foshan, también al principio utiliza el mismo discurso que la primera parte de Once upon... en el que las artes marciales…

• Shawna of the Shire

★★★★ Watched by Shawna of the Shire 06 Aug, 2014

Yeah it's a bit cheesy but the martial arts choreography is out of this world.

• JordanFerguson

★★½ Added by JordanFerguson

I am biased here, having seen The Grandmaster first. That is clearly the superior film, but not really a fair comparison. Wong Kar-Wai used the life of Master Ip Man as a canvas on which to paint another portrait of his pet themes with kung fu sequences to balance out the artful brooding, while Wilson Yip is making a flat out kung fu movie about a kung fu master. The fight sequences are consistently stellar (not as artfully composed or…

• Mild Sauce

★★½ Added by Mild Sauce 1

Some great fight sequences in service of a plot that seemed to carom from scene to scene with no sense of pace or development. As a stunt reel, very impressive; as narrative cinema, meh.

• Jonah

★★★½ Added by Jonah

Really amazing fight scenes, camera work, visuals. Not an amazing story but entertaining.

• cronic

★★★★ Added by cronic

8/10

• Dudley Christian

★★★★ Watched by Dudley Christian 14 Jul, 2014

Verdict: Haven't been able to say this much since 1999, but... Chinese action movies are more fun than most Hollywood actioners again.

• johnny_w

★★★★★ Watched by johnny_w 27 Jul, 2014

I haven't given any film 5 stars yet but this truely deserves it. This is a great if not perfect kung fu movie. I love the story and all the characters. This is a must watch for anyone who loves kung fu or action films.

• PKMG

★★★★½ Added by PKMG

Jackie Chan is really good at martial arts.

Who's Donnie Yen?