• Kamala_Chan

★★½ Watched by Kamala_Chan 08 Jul, 2014

Finally sat down to watch this after seeing it's sequels roll out and having a ton of people tell me about it. I love Donnie Yen, and his fighting was certainly up to usual standards in this, it just wasn't my style of film. A good biopic on the man behind Bruce Lee though, and I would be interested at least to see the next installment just to see how they connected.

• Adrian vom Baur

★★★★ Watched by Adrian vom Baur 25 Oct, 2014

After watching "The Grandmaster," I suspected that Yip Man's life probably wasn't well-suited to a traditional movie narrative, and after the first time jump and history-explaining title card, I was afraid that "Ip Man" was going in a similar direction: great fight scenes, little narrative cohesion.

But "Ip Man" actually has a simple solution for the un-movie-like structure of the real Yip Man's life: just make stuff up! That's how we get a more traditional martial arts-movie storyline and tons of great fights against evil Japanese soldiers. And while the historical inaccuracies may be a bit troubling, this makes for a much more entertaining movie.

• Spencer

★★★★ Added by Spencer

One of, if not my favorite martial arts film. Loved this movie in 2008, and I still love it now. Sets the bar for any martial arts film, and I have yet to see any recent films that come close.

• SleepyDino

★★★½ Watched by SleepyDino 10 Oct, 2013

「葉問」
    7.6
    看得下去的武功片已經很稀有了,
    是不是因為這樣所以覺得這部片還不錯 ?

• Pedro

★★★★ Watched by Pedro 13 Oct, 2014

Una de las películas basadas en la vida de Yip Man, el maestro de Bruce Lee. En este caso se sitúa durante la ocupación japonesa en China y como le afecta a él y a su entorno. Va a su ritmo pero las coreografías son bastante espectaculares.

Ah, y Donnie Yen repartiendo a base de bien, que mas quieres.

• Cameron Target

★★★★ Watched by Cameron Target 03 Jun, 2014

FUCK YEAH 功夫!!! Interesting anti mainland anti japanese subtext. (although quite obvious)

• rkornhauser

★★★ Watched by rkornhauser 03 Oct, 2014

Las peleas están muy bien. Mi problema con esta película es el tono y al ritmo en que van contando la historia. Con tono me refiero a que a veces parece biopic, a veces parece que nos están contando una leyenda. Al hacer eso van metiendo personajes que parece que van a ser importantes y luego no lo son tanto y luego resulta que sí. Y supongo que el ritmo se ve afectado por lo anterior. Aún así es muy disfrutable.

• Curtis

★★★★ Watched by Curtis 15 Sep, 2014

I went into this expecting a lot of exciting martial arts and not much else. And I came away with a pretty compelling period piece. And, of course, some amazing fights.

If I absolutely had to complain about something, it might dip just slightly into melodrama toward the end. But overall, a very satisfying and enjoyable action drama.

• Hannah M

★★ Watched by Hannah M 12 Sep, 2014

I'm never sure what to do with martial arts movies because no matter how good they are, I always kind of zone out during the actual fighting, which is usually the whole point of the movie. I did think the story surrounding this one was pretty interesting, but the final battle just didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me in terms of the overall story arc. I guess this movie was OK, it's just... not for me.…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

The unnecessary nationalist sentiment and weak social commentary may wave off some viewers, but Donnie Yen's master skill is a joy to watch on screen regardless.

• James Frazier

★★★ Watched by James Frazier 11 Sep, 2014

Entertaining piece of Chinese propaganda, though I'm starting to wonder if martial arts fights have gotten so good that they're virtually indistinguishable from one another.

• dpettinger

★★★★ Watched by dpettinger 17 Aug, 2014

Donne Yen plays Ip Man or Yip Man, a reluctant Kung-Fu grandmaster and the film basically follows his life as it is affected by the Second Sino-Japanese War.

The first half seems a little like a 'take' on many of the old Kung-fu movies, with the various martial arts clubs trading blows and insults in a fairly light hearted way, then in the second half it changes quite dramatically and becomes a bit more of a serious film with actual…