• Hanna

★★★★½ Watched by Hanna 17 Apr, 2015

This film has what I can confidently say are the most well done, beautifully choreographed fight scenes I have ever seen in a movie. They were visually stunning and so interesting and I sat in awe during the entire movie. In addition, I was overall a really great film, and while not something I would have searched out on my own, I'm glad my friends made me watch this.

• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 13 Apr, 2015

Part of my Double Feature Challenge

I worked in Malaysia for a couple of years in the 1970s, and the town where I lived didn't have a lot of nightlife. Fortunately, there were two movie theaters that changed their films every week or two. One showed mostly American and Indian movies along with some local Malay features while the other specialized in Chinese dramas and martial arts productions, which all seemed the same to me, trying so hard to fill…

• Guzco

★★★★ Watched by Guzco 10 Apr, 2015

One of the best modern kung fu films. Not just the choreography is insane, but the story and characters are really good too. Ip Man is a badass, but also has a contagious smile.

• Owen Erasmus

★★★★ Watched by Owen Erasmus 10 Apr, 2015

Or five stars for the fight scenes and three for the stirring historical epic that makes wartime Hollywood depictions of the Japanese seem nuanced.

Ip Man helps the needy, wont take rice from the japanese and eventually his wife gets to realise she was wrong to want him to pay attention to his child rather than duel passing kung fu masters. I guess we probably wouldn't be watching without the fight scenes so it's wrong to complain about the TV…

• Scrambled Face

★★★½ Watched by Scrambled Face 02 Apr, 2015

Donnie Yen is Hong Kong's biggest action star, but I have not seen many of his movies. Ip Man was one of his huge hits, spinning a patriotic tall tale about the early life of the titular Wing Chun Grandmaster who went on to train Bruce Lee. As Yen plays him, he's your standard badass who's trying to live a life of peace and harmony but keeps having to beat down fools, be they friendly rival teachers, thuggish braggarts or…

• Zaw Mine

★★★★ Added by Zaw Mine

Kung fu meet awesomeness.

• El Grizo

★★★★½ Watched by El Grizo 15 Mar, 2015

As good as everybody says it is. The 10 - man fight sequence at the Japanese dojo is the most ass - kicking fight since the bar brawl in Ong-Bak.

• CinemaClown

★★★★½ Watched by CinemaClown 14 Mar, 2015 5

Martial arts in cinema generally have this tendency to go way over-the-top in its depiction. Some find that overly exaggerated action ridiculously fun while for others, it's plainly stupid. However, there are also a few examples out there that have captured this combat style in a very grounded manner while managing to stay within the laws of physics. And Ip Man is definitely one of those flicks.

Ip Man is a semi-biographical account of the legendary Chinese martial artist Yip…

• NinjaDomoEsq

★★★★ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 14 Mar, 2015

So this was a surprise. I thought I was tuning into just another kung-fu film, when in truth, this actually has a story to tell and is artfully done. The lead actor playing IP Man is also a joy to watch as is the rest of the cast and crew. Picture a Kung-fu version of Schindler's List and that's kind of what IP Man is like. It's not perfect and I don't know how I feel about the certain liberties it takes with IP during the war, but it's refreshing, interesting and I look forward to the rest of the series.

• Travis Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Travis Wilson 11 Mar, 2015

Incredible action scenes while telling us the story of a man who refuse to teach the Japanese their type of martial arts during the China/Japan war. Based on a true story of the man who taught Bruce Lee. The story is very good. The fight scenes are brutal, but fantastic. Two sequels follow, which I am curious about. I will have to check them out.

• Michael Boyle

★★★½ Watched by Michael Boyle 09 Mar, 2015

Part of my Around the world in 80 movies list!

Ip Man tells the extremely exaggerated real life story of Kung Fu Grand Master (Yip Man) and his life leading up to and during the Japanese occupation of China during WW2.

This movie is a lot of fun. The fight scenes are great and Donnie Yen does a great job portraying the unimposing but fiercely tough title character.

While the movie was fun, it never felt real to me. Ip…

• Jeff

★★★★½ Watched by Jeff 02 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Thoughts that went through my head while watching in somewhat chronological order:

"lol Donnie Yen doesn't have elf hair in this movie. Thought he was Gil-Galad in Hero"

"Okay, so what is Wing Chun"

"OH, so that is Wing Chun"

"I have the feeling his son is gonna get killed in this movie. Just like how I predicted the plot of Solomon Kane"

"Hitting that wooden thing looks harder than anything he's done so far in the film in terms…