• Crookshanks

★★★½ Watched by Crookshanks 01 Sep, 2015

A semi-biopic about Yip Man, also known as Ip Man, the martial arts expert that brought Wing Chung, among other notable martial artists such as Bruce Lee.

It takes its action seriously. The film's camerawork is pretty good (a little bit overdone for my taste, sometimes making for some cheesy moments), but it captures some pretty fantastic action. Donnie Yen, who is really fantastic in this movie just like everyone else, looks amazing during these incredible fight scenes. These people…

• Ricardo Trejo

★★★★ Watched by Ricardo Trejo 26 Aug, 2015

"I'm just a Chinese man."

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Matthews 22 Aug, 2015

A fantastic martial arts movie starring Donnie Yen, this dramatises events in the life of one of the most influential martial arts masters ever. And it's also great entertainment from start to finish.

• dueta

★★★ Watched by dueta 13 Jul, 2015

Miura: [after witnessing Ip Man single-handedly defeat ten Japanese fighters at once] What's your name?
    Ip Man: I'm just a Chinese man.

• LaraAbdallah

★★★★★ Watched by LaraAbdallah 08 Apr, 2015

I have really gotten into martial arts films this year but this is more than that,it's set during a war and you get to see how this man who had built this incredible life had lost everything and was forced to begin again. I also think it's really cool that Ip man's son played him in the film.

• CartoonSA

Watched by CartoonSA 12 Apr, 2015

Fuck whoever suggested this as a gateway into Eastern Eye for someone who thinks kung-fu fight movies are dumb as shit. The ~ twenty minutes of the movie that wasn't dumb slap fighting was mediocre at best. Disclaimer I played Age of Wushu for a long time (Also love Monkey Magic) and I have a bunch of good sentiment towards the overarching genre. This movie -> dumb doo doo.

• sjc4ye

★★★★½ Watched by sjc4ye 10 Aug, 2015

Great martial arts film, and a good (true) story.

• Guido Arteaga

★★★★★ Added by Guido Arteaga

Another Chinese masterpiece! This movie was so much more than I expected! Great job guys! Simply superb.

• Tarryn-tino

★★★★★ Watched by Tarryn-tino 26 Jul, 2015

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!

This was unreal! I could quite easily watch this movie over and over and over again! And I may just end up doing that! What an amazing story and executed so well!

Donnie Yen was epic, watching all of his fight scenes I was totally transfixed on what was happening on the screen, he moved with such grace and ease. It would have been amazing to watch the real Ip Man fight. Not only the way he moved,…

• edkupfer

★★½ Watched by edkupfer 02 Feb, 2015

Enjoyment: 5/10
    Quality: 6/10

• macdude

★★★★½ Watched by macdude 21 Jul, 2015

This movie is an awesome example of a good action movie. Based on the true story of Bruce Lee's master, Ip Man follows this martial artist who fights for his family, friends, and countrymen. Yes some of the action is over-the-top both in violence and even in unrealism, but this never once knocked me from my comfortable seat of awe. Every fight scene was entertaining and meaningful, bringing new elements in every battle and never once growing tiresome. This film…

• Banners

★★½ Watched by Banners 13 Jul, 2015

'I'm just a Chinese man.'

In almost every review of a sports film I have written, I have argued that they are not really about sports. Whether it is Rocky, Million Dollar Baby or Whiplash, they are made great by the human drama and the richness of the themes behind the physical exertion. Ip Man proves my point. For, while its fight scenes are dexterous and exhilarating, they fail to stand for something bigger. The drama simply doesn't stand up.…