• Tracy

★★★½ Watched by Tracy 16 Oct, 2014

IP Man is one my first martial arts movies and it is a joy to watch. The story is fun and the fights are well choreographed and intense! I'm excited to watch more movies in this genre.

• Graham J

★★★½ Watched by Graham J 10 Nov, 2014

Ip man tells a compelling martial arts story and has more than a few sincere performances. The drama serenades you in a way that’s not unlike Ridley Scott’s Gladiator for example, all large gestures and a yearning, sweeping score. But often with movies like this, I crave for the fighting scenes (which are key to its entertainment value) to be left to breathe - whereas here, they are cut up, slo-mo’d, close up, and as a consequence diminish that wow…

• Dave13

Added by Dave13

This film fits under the category of "Kick flick". There are many instances where we see martial arts fight scenes. For example, we see Ip Man and Miura fight each other and demonstrate their skills. Ip Man prevails in the end and shows how dominant he is.

• Julie Nelson Mallery

★★½ Watched by Julie Nelson Mallery 12 Mar, 2014

Ip Man is a gear shift movie, one that starts out a certain way that makes the viewer think they know exactly where it is going and ends up in a completely different place. A biopic of kung fu master, Ip Man (Donnie Yen, very zen and completely serviceable, if not a bit boring and one note throughout), this film starts out positively silly. The island of Foshan is an idealized place where everyone seems wealthy, the sun is always…

• Cheree Anderson

★★★ Added by Cheree Anderson

Your Movie Muse Says:

OMGness! The fight sequences are some of the best I've seen in any action movie... period. Beautifully shot. Expertly choreographed. So good!

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 01 Nov, 2014

Ip is a uniquely compelling protagonist, and even if his story sometimes gets bogged down by a not-too-subtle nationalist message, he's still got great theme music on his side.

• Kamala_Chan

★★½ Watched by Kamala_Chan 08 Jul, 2014

Finally sat down to watch this after seeing it's sequels roll out and having a ton of people tell me about it. I love Donnie Yen, and his fighting was certainly up to usual standards in this, it just wasn't my style of film. A good biopic on the man behind Bruce Lee though, and I would be interested at least to see the next installment just to see how they connected.

• Adrian vom Baur

★★★★ Watched by Adrian vom Baur 25 Oct, 2014

After watching "The Grandmaster," I suspected that Yip Man's life probably wasn't well-suited to a traditional movie narrative, and after the first time jump and history-explaining title card, I was afraid that "Ip Man" was going in a similar direction: great fight scenes, little narrative cohesion.

But "Ip Man" actually has a simple solution for the un-movie-like structure of the real Yip Man's life: just make stuff up! That's how we get a more traditional martial arts-movie storyline and tons of great fights against evil Japanese soldiers. And while the historical inaccuracies may be a bit troubling, this makes for a much more entertaining movie.

• Spencer

★★★★ Added by Spencer

One of, if not my favorite martial arts film. Loved this movie in 2008, and I still love it now. Sets the bar for any martial arts film, and I have yet to see any recent films that come close.

• SleepyDino

★★★½ Watched by SleepyDino 10 Oct, 2013

「葉問」
    7.6
    看得下去的武功片已經很稀有了,
    是不是因為這樣所以覺得這部片還不錯 ?

• Pedro

★★★★ Watched by Pedro 13 Oct, 2014

Una de las películas basadas en la vida de Yip Man, el maestro de Bruce Lee. En este caso se sitúa durante la ocupación japonesa en China y como le afecta a él y a su entorno. Va a su ritmo pero las coreografías son bastante espectaculares.

Ah, y Donnie Yen repartiendo a base de bien, que mas quieres.

• Cameron Target

★★★★ Watched by Cameron Target 03 Jun, 2014

FUCK YEAH 功夫!!! Interesting anti mainland anti japanese subtext. (although quite obvious)