• Phil Sternwise

★★★★ Added by Phil Sternwise

Solid drama, great Kung Fu, and lots of that thing that a lot of people hate out there, what do they call it these days... "substance?" Anyways, this is a must-see film even if you're not into Kung Fu. The only flaw as I see it is the cheesy Hong Kong white actors, (playing the british people) they could have gotten better.

• Zachary Abraham

★★★ Watched by Zachary Abraham 02 Dec, 2014

Ip Man one of those films I found while searching for a random movie to watch that actually turned out to be good. Ip man fits the criteria of being a Kung Fu Genre film. It is based around martial arts and the culture that surround it. This is especially shown in the fight sequence between Ip man and the British boxer.

• Ryuutei

★★★★ Rewatched by Ryuutei 01 Dec, 2014

Pretty awesome movie, filled with drama & beautiful scenery.
    ZhenZiDan is handsome in this movie.

• kungen

★★★★½ Watched by kungen 30 Nov, 2014

It´s a masterpiece, enough said.

• Lee Towler

★★★ Watched by Lee Towler 24 Nov, 2014

Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene. Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene. Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene. Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene. Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene. Donnie Yen's bad acting. Fight scene.

Those fight scenes were fucking nice though, weren't they? I love martial arts. When I went to my local after-school karate class as a kid, I almost got my yellow belt. That's how much I love martial arts. That's dedication right there. Seriously though,…

• Tracy

★★★½ Watched by Tracy 16 Oct, 2014

IP Man is one my first martial arts movies and it is a joy to watch. The story is fun and the fights are well choreographed and intense! I'm excited to watch more movies in this genre.

• Graham J

★★★½ Watched by Graham J 10 Nov, 2014

Ip man tells a compelling martial arts story and has more than a few sincere performances. The drama serenades you in a way that’s not unlike Ridley Scott’s Gladiator for example, all large gestures and a yearning, sweeping score. But often with movies like this, I crave for the fighting scenes (which are key to its entertainment value) to be left to breathe - whereas here, they are cut up, slo-mo’d, close up, and as a consequence diminish that wow…

• Dave13

Added by Dave13

This film fits under the category of "Kick flick". There are many instances where we see martial arts fight scenes. For example, we see Ip Man and Miura fight each other and demonstrate their skills. Ip Man prevails in the end and shows how dominant he is.

• Julie Nelson Mallery

★★½ Watched by Julie Nelson Mallery 12 Mar, 2014

Ip Man is a gear shift movie, one that starts out a certain way that makes the viewer think they know exactly where it is going and ends up in a completely different place. A biopic of kung fu master, Ip Man (Donnie Yen, very zen and completely serviceable, if not a bit boring and one note throughout), this film starts out positively silly. The island of Foshan is an idealized place where everyone seems wealthy, the sun is always…

• Cheree Anderson

★★★ Added by Cheree Anderson

Your Movie Muse Says:

OMGness! The fight sequences are some of the best I've seen in any action movie... period. Beautifully shot. Expertly choreographed. So good!

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 01 Nov, 2014

Ip is a uniquely compelling protagonist, and even if his story sometimes gets bogged down by a not-too-subtle nationalist message, he's still got great theme music on his side.

• Kamala_Chan

★★½ Watched by Kamala_Chan 08 Jul, 2014

Finally sat down to watch this after seeing it's sequels roll out and having a ton of people tell me about it. I love Donnie Yen, and his fighting was certainly up to usual standards in this, it just wasn't my style of film. A good biopic on the man behind Bruce Lee though, and I would be interested at least to see the next installment just to see how they connected.