• JP Doug

★★★★ Watched by JP Doug 18 Nov, 2015

"His name is Ip Man."

Containing some of the best orchestrated action sequences, 'Ip Man' has a superb story (mentor of Bruce Lee) with a historically fascinating backdrop (Japanese Invasion of China). Donnie Yen excels as the stone-faced, calm kung-fu master who is challenged by locals, travelers, and is pit against Japanese masters. With plenty of dramatic tension between characters and fight scenes used sparingly for maximum effect, this is essential watch for any karate film fan or action fanatic.

• Vinnie De Craim

★★★ Added by Vinnie De Craim

More a series of highly entertaining and expertly made action sequences/set pieces than a true biographical account of Ip Man. Its overdramatic tendencies and over-the-top action make it a great action flick, but the story greatly suffers because of it.

• codytrandall

★★★★ Watched by codytrandall 09 Nov, 2015

I've never seen a movie 180 so fast. But great kung fu movie, if you can pass the rampant nationalism.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• jlynnmay

★★½ Watched by jlynnmay 03 Nov, 2015

Having watched the sequel (Ip Man 2) first, I was disappointed by the serious tone of this movie. It wasn't as playful in its cast of characters and novelty action scenes, and the tone was surprisingly heavy. My favorite scene was the one where Ip Man trains the factory workers and we get to see chubby old women fighting! I also just really love this actor's portrayal of Ip Man. The comically expressionless face reminds me of watching Lovey Smith coaching the Bears.

• James Rankin

★★★ Added by James Rankin

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Bruce Lee's one-time teacher wins the Second Sino-Japanese war with Wing Chun martial arts mastery and awkward dialogue. The action finds an enjoyable balance where the old-school fight sequences (flour explodes from clothing with each impact) are electrified by slick editing.

• The Royal Ocean Film Society

Watched by The Royal Ocean Film Society 25 Aug, 2015

Chosen by: Joe P.

• Marlo Muñoz

★★★★ Watched by Marlo Muñoz 13 Sep, 2015

Excelente cine de artes marciales, con una historia que mezcla drama y acción sin que ninguna opaque a la otra, un protagonista principal de lujo una figura antagónica cumplidora, ademas, la dirección artística y las coreografías de los combates son de primer nivel.

Basada en la historia del pionero del Wing Chun Yip Man (aunque con muchísimas licencias artísticas en pos del espectáculo), este filme es el primero de una trilogía planificada a principio y que deja ver lo mejor del genero de acción de artes marciales.

• draclax

★★★★★ Rewatched by draclax 24 Oct, 2015

This film is easily the best martial arts movie that has ever been made. The fight scenes are executed perfectly and are some of the most gripping fights you will ever see in a movie. The scene where Master Ip takes on 10 men at once will have your heart racing and keep you on the edge of your seat.

The film prides itself on loosely following the story of Grandmaster Yip Man who pioneered the form of martial art…

• Begbie

★★★★ Rewatched by Begbie 22 Oct, 2015

IP Man is a great martial arts film starring Donnie Yen that takes place during the Japanese occupation of China during WWII. It is based on the martial artist who ended up training several masters including the legendary Bruce Lee.

I haven't watched IP Man in a few years.. action scenes have excellent choreography (Sammo Hung is the action director ) and are reminiscent of Jet Li's 'Fist of Legend' (with less wire work). If you are are looking for a solid martial arts film check it out.

• Jamestuddsworth

★★★★ Watched by Jamestuddsworth 22 Oct, 2015

I'll have a cigarette with Ip Man anyday.

• Luke

★★★★½ Watched by Luke 19 Oct, 2015

One of the best martial arts films I've ever watched.