• El Grizo

★★★★½ Watched by El Grizo 15 Mar, 2015

As good as everybody says it is. The 10 - man fight sequence at the Japanese dojo is the most ass - kicking fight since the bar brawl in Ong-Bak.

• CinemaClown

★★★★½ Watched by CinemaClown 14 Mar, 2015 5

Martial arts in cinema generally have this tendency to go way over-the-top in its depiction. Some find that overly exaggerated action ridiculously fun while for others, it's plainly stupid. However, there are also a few examples out there that have captured this combat style in a very grounded manner while managing to stay within the laws of physics. And Ip Man is definitely one of those flicks.

Ip Man is a semi-biographical account of the legendary Chinese martial artist Yip…

• NinjaDomoEsq

★★★★ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 14 Mar, 2015

So this was a surprise. I thought I was tuning into just another kung-fu film, when in truth, this actually has a story to tell and is artfully done. The lead actor playing IP Man is also a joy to watch as is the rest of the cast and crew. Picture a Kung-fu version of Schindler's List and that's kind of what IP Man is like. It's not perfect and I don't know how I feel about the certain liberties it takes with IP during the war, but it's refreshing, interesting and I look forward to the rest of the series.

• Travis Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Travis Wilson 11 Mar, 2015

Incredible action scenes while telling us the story of a man who refuse to teach the Japanese their type of martial arts during the China/Japan war. Based on a true story of the man who taught Bruce Lee. The story is very good. The fight scenes are brutal, but fantastic. Two sequels follow, which I am curious about. I will have to check them out.

• Michael Boyle

★★★½ Watched by Michael Boyle 09 Mar, 2015

Part of my Around the world in 80 movies list!

Ip Man tells the extremely exaggerated real life story of Kung Fu Grand Master (Yip Man) and his life leading up to and during the Japanese occupation of China during WW2.

This movie is a lot of fun. The fight scenes are great and Donnie Yen does a great job portraying the unimposing but fiercely tough title character.

While the movie was fun, it never felt real to me. Ip…

• Jeff

★★★★½ Watched by Jeff 02 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Thoughts that went through my head while watching in somewhat chronological order:

"lol Donnie Yen doesn't have elf hair in this movie. Thought he was Gil-Galad in Hero"

"Okay, so what is Wing Chun"

"OH, so that is Wing Chun"

"I have the feeling his son is gonna get killed in this movie. Just like how I predicted the plot of Solomon Kane"

"Hitting that wooden thing looks harder than anything he's done so far in the film in terms…

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Watched by Bryan Colley 25 Feb, 2015

I was expecting a martial arts movie like The Raid but instead got a historical drama loosely based on a real martial artist and the Japanese occupation of China in the 1930s/40s. There's still a lot of fighting and the Ip Man performs at superhero levels, but every fight scene has dramatic weight behind it, which makes all the difference. Even if you know Ip Man will win, the fight could change the course of the story. It's the one…

• Chase Eiland

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 11 Aug, 2014

Seriously amazing martial arts choreography and cinematography and fantastic storytelling.

• John O'Neill

★★★ Watched by John O'Neill 19 Feb, 2015

Sammo Hung. Sam. Mo. Hung.

• Kyle Hoover

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Hoover 18 Feb, 2015

I loved the story telling in this movie. Very well done. The action is amazing as well as the actors.

• pillole di cinema

★★★½ Rewatched by pillole di cinema 24 Jun, 2013

I combattimenti sono pochi ma buoni e la qualità c'è. Ma anche se si fa vedere bene Ip Man è ancorato all'agiografia, genere scontatissimo.

• Jeremy Sheffield

★★★★★ Watched by Jeremy Sheffield 18 Feb, 2015

This movie is not only a great kung fu movie, but it is an all around great film. The drama that unfolds in between wonderfully choreographed action scene will keep you heart invested in the film long after the adrenaline has left your system. This is a must see!