• Curtis

★★★★ Watched by Curtis 15 Sep, 2014

I went into this expecting a lot of exciting martial arts and not much else. And I came away with a pretty compelling period piece. And, of course, some amazing fights.

If I absolutely had to complain about something, it might dip just slightly into melodrama toward the end. But overall, a very satisfying and enjoyable action drama.

• Hannah M

★★ Watched by Hannah M 12 Sep, 2014

I'm never sure what to do with martial arts movies because no matter how good they are, I always kind of zone out during the actual fighting, which is usually the whole point of the movie. I did think the story surrounding this one was pretty interesting, but the final battle just didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me in terms of the overall story arc. I guess this movie was OK, it's just... not for me.…

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

The unnecessary nationalist sentiment and weak social commentary may wave off some viewers, but Donnie Yen's master skill is a joy to watch on screen regardless.

• James Frazier

★★★ Watched by James Frazier 11 Sep, 2014

Entertaining piece of Chinese propaganda, though I'm starting to wonder if martial arts fights have gotten so good that they're virtually indistinguishable from one another.

• dpettinger

★★★★ Watched by dpettinger 17 Aug, 2014

Donne Yen plays Ip Man or Yip Man, a reluctant Kung-Fu grandmaster and the film basically follows his life as it is affected by the Second Sino-Japanese War.

The first half seems a little like a 'take' on many of the old Kung-fu movies, with the various martial arts clubs trading blows and insults in a fairly light hearted way, then in the second half it changes quite dramatically and becomes a bit more of a serious film with actual…

• Sandro Wittwer

★★ Added by Sandro Wittwer

While the film has a few interesting fight scenes and, with Donnie Yen, a very charismatic lead, the film ultimately didn't work for me. The story was too drawn out, too unrealistic (which would be okay, if it wasn't sold as a biopic) and felt like propaganda to me.

• Sc8lo

★★★★ Rewatched by Sc8lo 14 Mar, 2011

Its been a long time since we had a Kung Fu movie like this. I would like to see more of Donnie Yen in these kind of movies. Lets bring the Kung Fu movie back please.

• Rackve

★★★★ Watched by Rackve 06 Aug, 2014

Ip Man es una biopic bastante entretenida y con humor, con su toque de drama la última media hora, las secuencias de acción están bien montadas y las coreografiaras son espectaculares.
    Me recordó mucho y tiene guiños a la trilogia Once upon a time in China, desde que las dos películas se llevan a cabo en la misma ciudad Foshan, también al principio utiliza el mismo discurso que la primera parte de Once upon... en el que las artes marciales…

• Shawna of the Shire

★★★★ Watched by Shawna of the Shire 06 Aug, 2014

Yeah it's a bit cheesy but the martial arts choreography is out of this world.

• JordanFerguson

★★½ Added by JordanFerguson

I am biased here, having seen The Grandmaster first. That is clearly the superior film, but not really a fair comparison. Wong Kar-Wai used the life of Master Ip Man as a canvas on which to paint another portrait of his pet themes with kung fu sequences to balance out the artful brooding, while Wilson Yip is making a flat out kung fu movie about a kung fu master. The fight sequences are consistently stellar (not as artfully composed or…

• Mild Sauce

★★½ Added by Mild Sauce 1

Some great fight sequences in service of a plot that seemed to carom from scene to scene with no sense of pace or development. As a stunt reel, very impressive; as narrative cinema, meh.

• Jonah

★★★½ Added by Jonah

Really amazing fight scenes, camera work, visuals. Not an amazing story but entertaining.