• Nick Britton

★★★★ Watched by Nick Britton 04 Feb, 2016

Damn... really stirring some Sino-Japanese shit up here.

• Travis Lytle

★★★½ Rewatched by Travis Lytle 04 Feb, 2016

A fists-flying action film based on the true story of the martial arts legend who would go on to count Bruce Lee as one of his pupils, "Ip Man" is an effortlessly engaging piece of work. With its bone-crunching fight sequences and authentic narrative core, the film provides a serious-toned, emotionally resonant, and highly energized experience.

Taking place during Imperial Japan's invasion of China, "Ip Man" revolves around Donny Yen's Yip Man, master of the Wing Chun martial art. Pressed…

• Craig Duffy

★★★½ Watched by Craig Duffy 04 Feb, 2016

I kinda wish that American patriotic propaganda films could include badass kung fu battles. It might make them a bit more tolerable. Donnie Yen's natural screen presence and the wonderful action set-pieces made this worth a watch, but you could really see all the seams and the deliberate construction. Hopefully with him in Hong Kong for the rest of the series things can be a little less "Rah Rah!". For a story of early Ip Man, I prefer The Grandmaster. But this was OK too.

• cookecharlie

★★★½ Added by cookecharlie

Slightly oddly paced film but incredibly enjoyable nonetheless and featuring a very interesting villain

• pstead

★★★½ Watched by pstead 02 Feb, 2016

Martial arts not really my thing. The film looks beautiful & it's fine.

• Blair Russell

★★★★ Added by Blair Russell

Everybody Wing Chun Tonight! Sorry, I had to get that obvious joke out of the way.

While I do not know if I'll be able to squeeze in a showing, Ip Man 3 is playing at two different theatres in the Orlando area. I had never seen the first two films in the series but I figured I should in case I do decide to see 3 now rather than waiting for streaming. I heard strong things about the films…

• Shadowrose96

★★★★ Watched by Shadowrose96 30 Jan, 2016

Finally Netflix gets it completely right with the recommendation! Though it now seems to be a on a Donnie Yen kick...which isn't a issue, but variety is the spice of life.

This is a semi-biographical movie, with all the fun of a martial arts film but a lot more heart (more importantly physics). I've seen quite a few of Donnie Yen's films, and every time I see him move I desperately wish I had even the smallest amount of quick grace he has.

• ℜ

★★★ Watched by amb 28 Jan, 2016

Nationalism!

• PachZorter

★★★★ Watched by PachZorter 28 Jan, 2016

A classic-feeling martial arts film that also feels new. Really cool shots and effect work make this movie worth seeing.

• rambosremodeler

★★★★½ Watched by rambosremodeler 27 Jan, 2016

One of the best martial arts films I've ever seen. I can't believe I'm just now seeing this. Bring on part 2