• Jeloy

★★★★½ Watched by Jeloy 15 Apr, 2014

Incredible martial arts film with a nice narration to it. First movie to get me interested in Chinese martial arts. The movie transfers its emotions very well.

• Chevalier

★★★½ Added by Chevalier

Wilson Yip doesn't take big risks in this biopic, where Ip Man beats Japanese imperial soldiers one after another. Donnie Yen portrays the master with a good sense ofhumble dignity, understanding that even when this is a MA film, Ip Man was not a Wong Fei Hung.

• Boost

★★★½ Added by Boost

Great action and directing. More melodrama than necessary, but that was the biopic vibe they were going for. Realistic sets and costumes, good acting. Interesting translation in the ending. "The Chinese won and ended a war that lasted 8 long years" The Chinese were on the winning side, but right up until the nukes China was losing. Quite a spin!

• Dnl Crnll

★★★★★ Added by Dnl Crnll

This is a great movie. The fighting is perfectly paced and integrated into the story so nothing feels contrived. And Donnie Yen's soft touch acting style fits perfectly. Love!

• Lilias

★★★½ Watched by Lilias 24 Mar, 2014

Interesting historical context, beautiful use of color, and some wicked fight scenes.

• Dnl Crnll

★★★★★ Added by Dnl Crnll

Perfect movie

• FanBoyCritic

★★★ Watched by FanBoyCritic 23 Mar, 2014

Ip Man(2008)
    Starring:Donnie Yen,Hiroyuki Ikeuchi,Fan Slu-wong,XIong Dailin,Wong You-nam,Simon Yam,Lam Ka-tung,Calvin Cheng Kasing, and Chen Zhi Hul
    Directed By:Wilson Yip
    My Review
    My friend better be happy that I finally saw this but i know for sure that he won't be happy with the rating. I wish that this film would have showed us some scenes were he is actually training the famous action all star himself Bruce Lee, that would have been cool and interesting to see what there relationship…

• Charlie Derry

★★★½ Watched by Charlie Derry 05 Mar, 2014

A fascinating story and some excellent karate displays.

• Danny Gray

★★★★ Watched by Danny Gray 19 Mar, 2014

I don't watch many kung-fu films, I don't know much about martial arts, I don't know how accurate the historical events depicted are and I don't know how autobiographical this film is.

There was no reason why I should've loved this film anywhere near as much as I did! Brilliantly choreographed fight scenes, a simple yet engaging story with a lovable hero and detestable villain, all set against a stunning Oriental backdrop. My only problem now is trying now to find a version of the sequel with English subtitles...!

• Kevin Lu

★★★★ Added by Kevin Lu

IP IP IP

• Headnoob

★★ Watched by Headnoob 31 Dec, 2013

Aside from the lead performance and some nice choreography here and there, not a great film, final fight was sorely lacking in weight and the nationalism was just laughable.

• Mark Barrett

★★★★ Watched by Mark Barrett 24 Feb, 2014 4

Ip Man is a semi biographical martial arts movie directed by Wilson Yip, focussing on the life of Wing Chun Grandmaster Yip Man. He is played by actor and martial artist Donnie Yen who trained in Wing Chun under the guidance of Yip Mans eldest son for 9 months in preparation for the role.

The story is based around a period of time when Yip Man is living in Foshan, South China. There are martial arts schools on every street…