• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Watched by Bryan Colley 25 Feb, 2015

I was expecting a martial arts movie like The Raid but instead got a historical drama loosely based on a real martial artist and the Japanese occupation of China in the 1930s/40s. There's still a lot of fighting and the Ip Man performs at superhero levels, but every fight scene has dramatic weight behind it, which makes all the difference. Even if you know Ip Man will win, the fight could change the course of the story. It's the one…

• Chase Eiland

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 11 Aug, 2014

Seriously amazing martial arts choreography and cinematography and fantastic storytelling.

• John O'Neill

★★★ Watched by John O'Neill 19 Feb, 2015

Sammo Hung. Sam. Mo. Hung.

• Kyle Hoover

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Hoover 18 Feb, 2015

I loved the story telling in this movie. Very well done. The action is amazing as well as the actors.

• pillole di cinema

★★★½ Rewatched by pillole di cinema 24 Jun, 2013

I combattimenti sono pochi ma buoni e la qualità c'è. Ma anche se si fa vedere bene Ip Man è ancorato all'agiografia, genere scontatissimo.

• Jeremy Sheffield

★★★★★ Watched by Jeremy Sheffield 18 Feb, 2015

This movie is not only a great kung fu movie, but it is an all around great film. The drama that unfolds in between wonderfully choreographed action scene will keep you heart invested in the film long after the adrenaline has left your system. This is a must see!

• ruizinhoandre

★★★★ Watched by ruizinhoandre 22 Jan, 2015

Good movie about martial arts, with the master being an amazing fighter. Although the story was a little predictable, I still enjoyed it

• Anthony Albarran

★★★★ Added by Anthony Albarran

Period drama/martial arts film centered on Ip Man, the legendary Wing Chun Kung Fu master who would go on to teach Bruce Lee. Good story, great martial arts sequences.

• aProtagonist

★★★★ Added by aProtagonist

it may resemble pure Chinese propaganda at points, but the raw ferocity of the plot-driven fight scenes more than makes up for it

• Eric_Novello

★★½ Watched by Eric_Novello 25 Jan, 2015

Parte biográfico, parte ficcional, conta a história de Yip Man, lutador de artes marciais, antes e durante a ocupação da China pelo Japão. Yip Man é uma figura histórica por diversos motivos, entre eles ter sido o mestre de Bruce Lee.

Lado ruim: o filme é bem lento, indeciso entre o humor e o drama, as personagens femininas são fracas e o roteiro não é dos melhores.

Pontos positivos: os atores são carismáticos e as lutas muito bem coreografadas, tornando-se os pontos altos do filme.

• Matt Fisher

★★★½ Watched by Matt Fisher 19 Jan, 2015

Largely this is just me and my own mental block, but whenever Kung Fu-ing is not on screen in a Kung Fu movie, I just impatiently wonder "Where's the Kung Fu"? And the better the Kung Fu-ing the harder I wonder and end up antsy with anticipation. This had some very very good Kung Fu.

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★ Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 16 Jan, 2015

Though most people probably are unaware of these films, the various Ip Man films to come out of China since 2008 have been pretty well-liked by the internet community. The first is even placed in IMDB's top 250, which is not necessarily a statement of quality, but it does the show the film does have an audience. It seems less that the whole film community is a buzz with the films, and the more the dedicated passion of a smaller…