• OreoSpeedwagon

★★★★★ Added by OreoSpeedwagon

Donnie Yen in one of his best kung fu role, if you like kung fu movies and haven't experienced Ip Man, you're missing out. It's the quintessential kung fu movie, as is the sequel.

• Jryanmua

★★★½ Watched by Jryanmua 07 Jan, 2015

I've been meaning to see Ip Man for years. As an advocate for great kung-fu in cinema and an admirer of Chinese film's simple, yet engrossing stories, this relatively recent film of the old tradition was on the top of my Eastern watchlist (only behind House of Flying Daggers, which I tackled a few weeks ago).

It's centered on Ip Man, of course, who is based on a historical kung-fu master who inspired many Chinese people in a time of…

• JaySalahi

★★★½ Watched by JaySalahi 06 Jan, 2015

B (86)

• William Kirkbride

★★★★½ Rewatched by William Kirkbride 05 Jan, 2015

Donnie Yen is such a beast.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 25 Dec, 2014

Some very nice fight scenes tacked onto a nationalistic history lesson. Ip Man here is so perfect, badass, and saintly that I never felt any real conflict.

• lobsta

★★½ Added by lobsta 1

Ip Man is a bit of an anomaly in the martial arts genre. For starters the protagonists struggles are based more on moral dilemmas as opposed to any physical challenge. Any fight scene therefore has it's dramatic tension pretty much removed, but the film does well to replace this with a appreciation of class/style/finesse and skill as carried out by our glorious Hero.

There's a few different schools of style in regards to Kung Fu movies, and this one has…

• Joel Edwards

★★★½ Watched by Joel Edwards 22 Dec, 2014

There wasn't a single computer in this whole movie.

• Dirk Massey

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dirk Massey 22 Dec, 2014

Cannot be improved

Amazing

• Phil Sternwise

★★★★ Added by Phil Sternwise

Solid drama, great Kung Fu, and lots of that thing that a lot of people hate out there, what do they call it these days... "substance?" Anyways, this is a must-see film even if you're not into Kung Fu. The only flaw as I see it is the cheesy Hong Kong white actors, (playing the british people) they could have gotten better.

• Zachary Abraham

★★★ Watched by Zachary Abraham 02 Dec, 2014

Ip Man one of those films I found while searching for a random movie to watch that actually turned out to be good. Ip man fits the criteria of being a Kung Fu Genre film. It is based around martial arts and the culture that surround it. This is especially shown in the fight sequence between Ip man and the British boxer.

• Ryuutei

★★★★ Rewatched by Ryuutei 01 Dec, 2014

Pretty awesome movie, filled with drama & beautiful scenery.
    ZhenZiDan is handsome in this movie.

• kungen

★★★★½ Watched by kungen 30 Nov, 2014

It´s a masterpiece, enough said.