• LuBayeh

★★★★½ Added by LuBayeh

Muito bom! Recomendo.

• Juan Carlo Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Juan Carlo Rodríguez 07 Jul, 2014

There have been more movies about Bruce Lee's near-legendary teacher in recent years than I can count, but this is the one that started the recent trend. Donnie Yen plays the titular character with stoic and charming badasserie, in a story about a man that not only defends his country's traditions, but its pride. Must-see martial arts battles that you cannot believe till you see, but Yen is also a fantastic actor.

Han habido más películas sobre el casi…

• BobJordan

★★★★ Watched by BobJordan 12 Jul, 2014

A very special film. Donnie Yen is simply a force of nature. Honestly, I found the politics and the other character performances only good - not great. The martial arts are good throughout, but honestly, Yen takes everything to a higher level, both the fights and the rest of the character development as well. He is the reason this film is great.

• jhiou

★★★★★ Watched by jhiou 02 Jul, 2014

Wing Chun no seu melhor, uma arte marcial proveniente do Kung fu.
    Yip Man!!!
    Bruce Lee foi uns dos seus discípulos!

• mattmav45

★★½ Watched by mattmav45 26 Jun, 2014

Outside some damn cool displays of kung fu there is unfortunately not much to find here.

There is something innately cool as fuck with kung fu done right. The choreography basically writes itself in many ways. The film absolutely excels in this respect. It knows how to do kung fu, plain and simple. Perhaps this is all testosterone-fueled but in the end it is what it is.

I'm just going to be honest here and say that the story and…

• Aaron T. Rex

★★½ Watched by Aaron T. Rex 26 May, 2014 2

Apart from the fight scenes which are pretty decent I really didn't dig this at all. It seems to have gotten mostly great reviews which I don't understand. The acting is pretty bad and the film looks... maybe not terrible but definitely on its way down that path. It's too long and the focus is all over the place. Donnie Yen has a weird smile.

• Oscar Rosales

★★★ Watched by Oscar Rosales 24 May, 2014

I really didn't need to watch this film as I already watched THE GRANDMASTER, a superior film in every conceivable way. The fight choreography is terrific, but as a biopic it feels pretty weak. DONNIE YEN's Ip Man is to TONY CHIUI WAI LEUNG's Ip Man what JOHN CUSACK's Nixon was to FRANK LANGELLA's.

I'm glad the second half went deeper and improved the whole film, because the first half left me wondering why didn't they cast Jackie Chan.

• Marcos Fontes

★★★★ Watched by Marcos Fontes 18 May, 2014

Um filme lindo tecnicamente e, o mais importante, carregado de boas lições de vida. Gostei muito!

• Matt Heiser

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Heiser 01 May, 2012

It's always reinvigorates me when I see movies that thrill/excite me, something that has been happening less and less for me with all of the movies I've already seen (I've been hitting a bit of a winning streak by watching more Asian films lately, particularly Ang Lee's pre-Hollywood films). In this case, it's the best action/martial arts film I've seen in the last 3-4 years probably. Can't wait to see the sequel.

• Sam Rajan

★★★½ Watched by Sam Rajan 15 May, 2014

"It's not about the style, it's about you." [in subtitles]

Ip Man has a much better variety of bone-crunching action than some of the martial art action movies that I've seen such as The Raid and The Raid 2. However, what makes The Raid and The Raid 2 quite great is the intensity of the story that exists behind it. This is especially true in the first movie where we as a viewer were completely uncertain how any of the…

• Rodrigo Jorge

★★★★★ Watched by Rodrigo Jorge 11 May, 2014

This is about as good as a Kung Fu film can get.

• Declan

★★★★ Added by Declan

Ip Man is loosely based (ie mostly made up) on the experiences of the real-life Yip Man, a martial arts teacher who taught Bruce Lee amongst others. Set during the Sino-Japanese War, this provides a much more realistic setting than many kung-fu films, which lends it a certain gravitas, all of which is handsomely staged in a way you would expect from historical epics, but not kung-fu films. But never worry, this IS undeniably a kung-fu film as well, featuring…