• Declan

★★★★ Added by Declan

Ip Man is loosely based (ie mostly made up) on the experiences of the real-life Yip Man, a martial arts teacher who taught Bruce Lee amongst others. Set during the Sino-Japanese War, this provides a much more realistic setting than many kung-fu films, which lends it a certain gravitas, all of which is handsomely staged in a way you would expect from historical epics, but not kung-fu films. But never worry, this IS undeniably a kung-fu film as well, featuring…

• Cinemaddict

★★½ Watched by Cinemaddict 03 May, 2014

This was like having to eat a tootsie pop when all you wanted was the tootsie roll. Really good martial arts sequences are surrounded by a plot that made me think "Oh, they went with formula x, how interesting. I know absolutely everything that's going to happen and how. Sure hope the martial arts scenes are extra good." And, I guess to the movie's credit they are, but those scenes are wrapped inside a really generic and tiresome attempt at…

• Sam Erazm

★★★½ Watched by Sam Erazm 22 Apr, 2014

How interesting. Upon watching this movie, I realized the only other martial arts film I can remember seeing was also a post-2001 production, Fearless from 2006 starring Jet Li, where imperialist powers occupying China were the primary antagonists. Then there was also The Good, The Bad, The Weird, which was a primarily Korean production but still had imperial Japan as the enemy, as in this film.

My recent experience with Western films - the way the foundation myth of America…

• Jeloy

★★★★½ Watched by Jeloy 15 Apr, 2014

Incredible martial arts film with a nice narration to it. First movie to get me interested in Chinese martial arts. The movie transfers its emotions very well.

• Chevalier

★★★½ Added by Chevalier

Wilson Yip doesn't take big risks in this biopic, where Ip Man beats Japanese imperial soldiers one after another. Donnie Yen portrays the master with a good sense ofhumble dignity, understanding that even when this is a MA film, Ip Man was not a Wong Fei Hung.

• Boost

★★★½ Added by Boost

Great action and directing. More melodrama than necessary, but that was the biopic vibe they were going for. Realistic sets and costumes, good acting. Interesting translation in the ending. "The Chinese won and ended a war that lasted 8 long years" The Chinese were on the winning side, but right up until the nukes China was losing. Quite a spin!

• Dnl Crnll

★★★★★ Added by Dnl Crnll

This is a great movie. The fighting is perfectly paced and integrated into the story so nothing feels contrived. And Donnie Yen's soft touch acting style fits perfectly. Love!

• Lilias

★★★½ Watched by Lilias 24 Mar, 2014

Interesting historical context, beautiful use of color, and some wicked fight scenes.

• Dnl Crnll

★★★★★ Added by Dnl Crnll

Perfect movie

• FanBoyCritic

★★★ Watched by FanBoyCritic 23 Mar, 2014

Ip Man(2008)
    Starring:Donnie Yen,Hiroyuki Ikeuchi,Fan Slu-wong,XIong Dailin,Wong You-nam,Simon Yam,Lam Ka-tung,Calvin Cheng Kasing, and Chen Zhi Hul
    Directed By:Wilson Yip
    My Review
    My friend better be happy that I finally saw this but i know for sure that he won't be happy with the rating. I wish that this film would have showed us some scenes were he is actually training the famous action all star himself Bruce Lee, that would have been cool and interesting to see what there relationship…

• Charlie Derry

★★★½ Watched by Charlie Derry 05 Mar, 2014

A fascinating story and some excellent karate displays.

• Danny Gray

★★★★ Watched by Danny Gray 19 Mar, 2014

I don't watch many kung-fu films, I don't know much about martial arts, I don't know how accurate the historical events depicted are and I don't know how autobiographical this film is.

There was no reason why I should've loved this film anywhere near as much as I did! Brilliantly choreographed fight scenes, a simple yet engaging story with a lovable hero and detestable villain, all set against a stunning Oriental backdrop. My only problem now is trying now to find a version of the sequel with English subtitles...!