• Michelle

★★★★½ Watched by Michelle 15 Feb, 2014

This film was such a wonderful surprise! I loved it and can't believe I hadn't seen it before. I love the fact that it is based on a real individual, and the fight scenes were crazy awesome! An inspiring drama with great acting and storytelling!

• rassoodocks

★★★★ Watched by rassoodocks 22 Feb, 2014

We've got some dazzling martial arts over here, with the Sino-Japanese war as a backdrop. The story really makes you invested in the results of the fight scenes, so they're more than just eye candy. Very action-y for a biopic, but historical accuracy didn't seem to be the point of this movie anyway. Overall, that was one hour and forty-six minutes well-spent.

• Bob Hovey

★★★½ Watched by Bob Hovey 27 Oct, 2012

This film and it's sequel Ip Man 2, are a couple of historical dramas that play fast and loose with historical fact. But unlike many of these types of films (where changes are made to provide a 'sellable' story, or to shorten or clarify the narrative, or to make filming easier), here we have a somewhat unique situation ... Ip Man, one of the early proponents of martial arts (and mentor of Bruce Lee later in life) is a cultural…

• Jamie Huggett

★★★★ Watched by Jamie Huggett 19 Feb, 2014 1

The fight choreography in this is a joy to watch, it's incredible, and the story underpinning it all is also very interesting.

• Curt

★★★★ Rewatched by Curt 16 Feb, 2014

Ip Man is centers around the legendary creator of Wing Chun - a rare breed of Chinese martial arts. The events of the film are loosely based on the real biographical account of Yip Man himself, starting in the 1930's and continuing right through to Japanese occupation of Foshan.

This film just kicks ass. The first thing we see is Yip Man fighting a stationary wooden doll - and even this is really impressive. From this moment on I knew…

• JMSavoyBoy

★★★½ Watched by JMSavoyBoy 15 Feb, 2014

The fight scenes were extraordinary, and quite beautifully shot, I just dont feel compelled to label it legendary as so many people have told me it is.
    Maybe Im missing out on something ...

• Movie Lord

★★★★★ Watched by Movie Lord 14 Feb, 2014

In a word brilliant

• The Briquette

★★★ Watched by The Briquette 09 Feb, 2014

This is an attempt of a biographical film, but ended up with no real direction and being far too disjointed. It felt far too much like a Chinese propaganda film - honour, power of the people under a leader, and all that.

The martial arts sequences are superbly choreographed, helped to no end my their magnificent execution by Yen as Ip Man. I can't stress enough how good these are - they vastly increased my enjoyment of a film with a less than interesting plot.

• Jari Kuisma

★★★★ Watched by Jari Kuisma 02 Feb, 2014

This is one of the most original oriental kung-fu movies. It is really sad but still good action entertainment also. Not your basic kick-ass movie.

• Injektilo

★★★★ Watched by Injektilo 03 Feb, 2014

Le hacen falta mas películas de artes marciales a mi vida.

• wolverinefactor

★★ Watched by wolverinefactor 27 Jan, 2014

This did nothing for me :(

• Kars Alfrink

★★★★ Watched by Kars Alfrink 26 Jan, 2014

Donnie Yen is quite possibly my favorite martial arts film star. The fights do not disappoint and everything is gorgeous to look at. The story is entertaining enough if at times a bit melodramatic or heavy handed in its nationalism.