• CartoonSA

Watched by CartoonSA 12 Apr, 2015

Fuck whoever suggested this as a gateway into Eastern Eye for someone who thinks kung-fu fight movies are dumb as shit. The ~ twenty minutes of the movie that wasn't dumb slap fighting was mediocre at best. Disclaimer I played Age of Wushu for a long time (Also love Monkey Magic) and I have a bunch of good sentiment towards the overarching genre. This movie -> dumb doo doo.

• sjc4ye

★★★★½ Watched by sjc4ye 10 Aug, 2015

Great martial arts film, and a good (true) story.

• Guido Arteaga

★★★★★ Added by Guido Arteaga

Another Chinese masterpiece! This movie was so much more than I expected! Great job guys! Simply superb.

• Tarryn-tino

★★★★★ Watched by Tarryn-tino 26 Jul, 2015

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!

This was unreal! I could quite easily watch this movie over and over and over again! And I may just end up doing that! What an amazing story and executed so well!

Donnie Yen was epic, watching all of his fight scenes I was totally transfixed on what was happening on the screen, he moved with such grace and ease. It would have been amazing to watch the real Ip Man fight. Not only the way he moved,…

• Ed Küpfer

★★½ Watched by Ed Küpfer 02 Feb, 2015

Enjoyment: 5/10
    Quality: 6/10

• macdude

★★★★ Watched by macdude 21 Jul, 2015

This movie is an awesome example of a good action movie. Based on the true story of Bruce Lee's master, Ip Man follows this martial artist who fights for his family, friends, and countrymen. Yes some of the action is over-the-top both in violence and even in unrealism, but this never once knocked me from my comfortable seat of awe. Every fight scene was entertaining and meaningful, bringing new elements in every battle and never once growing tiresome. This film…

• Banners

★★½ Watched by Banners 13 Jul, 2015

'I'm just a Chinese man.'

In almost every review of a sports film I have written, I have argued that they are not really about sports. Whether it is Rocky, Million Dollar Baby or Whiplash, they are made great by the human drama and the richness of the themes behind the physical exertion. Ip Man proves my point. For, while its fight scenes are dexterous and exhilarating, they fail to stand for something bigger. The drama simply doesn't stand up.…

• Benedict Chiu

★★★★½ Rewatched by Benedict Chiu 19 Jul, 2015

A cohesive, dramatic, and thrilling retelling of the cultural war between the Chinese and Japanese through the martial arts of a man whose bravery speaks louder than words.

• Jayce Fryman

★★★★ Watched by Jayce Fryman 16 Jul, 2015

This is a very interesting film, both a biopic and a martial arts film, and I have to say it may be one of the best martial arts films I have seen. This is a story of a man who never wanted to be a fighter, but because of circumstances beyond himself, he was forced to become one. This is a beautifully choreographed film, with fantastic fight scenes, and a story about a truly great man. I would recommend it to basically anyone.

• michael little

★★★½ Watched by michael little 14 Jul, 2015

Engrossing biopic about the legendary Ip Man, master of the fighting style known as Wing Chung, from his early days in Fo-Shan province through the Japanese occupation during the second World War. The fight choreography is sublime, and the performances solid. Yen is great in the title role, bringing a calmness and understanding to his portrayal of a man facing his own obsolescence in a time of war.

• yon_lee

★★★★ Watched by yon_lee 12 Jul, 2015

The fight scenes in this film are amazing! Not many fight scenes in recent films are memorable, but this one stands out. Sammo Hung's choreographies are orchestrated to bring out the best in Donnie Yen's performance and it's sure to keep you entertained throughout the entire film. The story is also pretty good.

• nicklasjm