• Jeremy Sheffield

★★★★★ Watched by Jeremy Sheffield 18 Feb, 2015

This movie is not only a great kung fu movie, but it is an all around great film. The drama that unfolds in between wonderfully choreographed action scene will keep you heart invested in the film long after the adrenaline has left your system. This is a must see!

• ruizinhoandre

★★★★ Watched by ruizinhoandre 22 Jan, 2015

Good movie about martial arts, with the master being an amazing fighter. Although the story was a little predictable, I still enjoyed it

• Anthony Albarran

★★★★ Added by Anthony Albarran

Period drama/martial arts film centered on Ip Man, the legendary Wing Chun Kung Fu master who would go on to teach Bruce Lee. Good story, great martial arts sequences.

• aProtagonist

★★★★ Added by aProtagonist

it may resemble pure Chinese propaganda at points, but the raw ferocity of the plot-driven fight scenes more than makes up for it

• Eric_Novello

★★½ Watched by Eric_Novello 25 Jan, 2015

Parte biográfico, parte ficcional, conta a história de Yip Man, lutador de artes marciais, antes e durante a ocupação da China pelo Japão. Yip Man é uma figura histórica por diversos motivos, entre eles ter sido o mestre de Bruce Lee.

Lado ruim: o filme é bem lento, indeciso entre o humor e o drama, as personagens femininas são fracas e o roteiro não é dos melhores.

Pontos positivos: os atores são carismáticos e as lutas muito bem coreografadas, tornando-se os pontos altos do filme.

• Matt Fisher

★★★½ Watched by Matt Fisher 19 Jan, 2015

Largely this is just me and my own mental block, but whenever Kung Fu-ing is not on screen in a Kung Fu movie, I just impatiently wonder "Where's the Kung Fu"? And the better the Kung Fu-ing the harder I wonder and end up antsy with anticipation. This had some very very good Kung Fu.

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★ Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 16 Jan, 2015

Though most people probably are unaware of these films, the various Ip Man films to come out of China since 2008 have been pretty well-liked by the internet community. The first is even placed in IMDB's top 250, which is not necessarily a statement of quality, but it does the show the film does have an audience. It seems less that the whole film community is a buzz with the films, and the more the dedicated passion of a smaller…

• OreoSpeedwagon

★★★★★ Added by OreoSpeedwagon

Donnie Yen in one of his best kung fu role, if you like kung fu movies and haven't experienced Ip Man, you're missing out. It's the quintessential kung fu movie, as is the sequel.

• Jryanmua

★★★½ Watched by Jryanmua 07 Jan, 2015

I've been meaning to see Ip Man for years. As an advocate for great kung-fu in cinema and an admirer of Chinese film's simple, yet engrossing stories, this relatively recent film of the old tradition was on the top of my Eastern watchlist (only behind House of Flying Daggers, which I tackled a few weeks ago).

It's centered on Ip Man, of course, who is based on a historical kung-fu master who inspired many Chinese people in a time of…

• JaySalahi

★★★½ Watched by JaySalahi 06 Jan, 2015

B (86)

• William Kirkbride

★★★★½ Rewatched by William Kirkbride 05 Jan, 2015

Donnie Yen is such a beast.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 25 Dec, 2014

Some very nice fight scenes tacked onto a nationalistic history lesson. Ip Man here is so perfect, badass, and saintly that I never felt any real conflict.