• Luke

★★★★½ Watched by Luke 19 Oct, 2015

One of the best martial arts films I've ever watched.

• Reece Stables

★★★★½ Watched by Reece Stables 16 Oct, 2015

Inspired by the early life of Bruce Lee’s master, Ip Man takes as many historical liberties as it does with the laws of physics but results is a mythical tale that is as compelling as it is beautiful.

A comparison could be made to Gladiator with martial arts, a man brought down into poverty by a dictator only to defy and stir a revolt by championing the people.

The set design is beautifully detailed and well captured. The choreography is wonderfully clinical and reflected in the editing which is choppier than a typical martial arts film but heightens the excitement.

• JustinBateman

★★★★ Added by JustinBateman

China, 1935. Martial arts clubs are gaining popularity and Ip Man is the undisputed master of Wing Chun, an increasingly well-known version of kung fu. But his peaceful family life and that of his contemporaries are turned upside down by the invasion of the Japanese. From a position of wealth, privilege and respect, Ip Man is forced into a life of abject poverty where Chinese are enticed into fighting Japanese martial artists for a bag of rice.

Getting martial arts…

• GenkiB

★★ Watched by GenkiB 22 Sep, 2015

I really liked “The Grandmaster” by Wong Kar Wai so when I heard this was pretty good, I had to check it out. Well, I heard wrong. This was pretty weak on most levels. In fact, I didn’t even watch the last ten minutes. I’d borrowed it from a digital library and my loan expired before I could finish it and I’m not interested enough to borrow it again. I give this a 4 outta 10.

• Ned Gilmore

★★★★ Watched by Ned Gilmore 22 Sep, 2015

Straight to the top tier of Kung Fu movies this goes.

• Hyrschall Damon

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hyrschall Damon 14 Sep, 2015

I love the martial arts in this movie!

• The Verminator

★★★★½ Watched by The Verminator 04 Sep, 2015

Donnie Yen...

that is all

• Lucas

★★★ Watched by Lucas 09 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This guy punches fast. Stoic Kung Fu master defeats local thugs and Japanese Army to win World War II for China; goes on to teach Bruce Lee.

• Conan Tan

★★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 12 Mar, 2015

I know this movie is not historically accurate but it is still good. If they make a third Ip Man movie, they should finally bring in Bruce Lee after just teasing about his appearance.

• Sam Barnett

★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Barnett 02 Sep, 2015

Third time watching this glorious movie. I have to say it did feel a bit slower this time around, as the beats feel a bit too neatly laid out. I found myself tapping my foot impatiently waiting to get to the 'good stuff' that had stuck in my memory. There are far more scenes and side characters than I had remembered. I considered bumping my review score down, but since it was closer to a 4.5 on my first two…

• Crookshanks

★★★½ Watched by Crookshanks 01 Sep, 2015

A semi-biopic about Yip Man, also known as Ip Man, the martial arts expert that brought Wing Chung, among other notable martial artists such as Bruce Lee.

It takes its action seriously. The film's camerawork is pretty good (a little bit overdone for my taste, sometimes making for some cheesy moments), but it captures some pretty fantastic action. Donnie Yen, who is really fantastic in this movie just like everyone else, looks amazing during these incredible fight scenes. These people…

• Ricardo Trejo

★★★★ Watched by Ricardo Trejo 26 Aug, 2015

"I'm just a Chinese man."