• Tommy Gibbs

★★ Added by Tommy Gibbs

Ip Man for me was take it or leave it. The first 30 minutes does a good job of building up the character of Ip Man and there are some moving scenes, along with the impressive action. But those moving scenes feel kinda separate from the film as a whole. I also found it predictable and slow in parts.

• PRY

★★★★★ Watched by PRY 16 Apr, 2016

The emotional punctuality of a charming drama, the crisp action direction and wow factor that clearly separates East-Asian film above the rest of the field (unless you're John Wick), and the resonate, satisfactory ending that comes with the best of fighting movies.

Fuck yeah, Donnie Yen.

• Chad Barton

★★★★½ Watched by Chad Barton 14 Apr, 2016

Donnie Yen and Lam Ka Tung are great in this. Very much enjoy the zany beginning stuff and how it transitions into the horrible war period. Even though that sounds like it wouldn't work on paper, it absolutely does in real life. There's some obvious propaganda but hey, what isn't? I mostly enjoyed the cinematography as a whole but it was extremely conservative. I believe it was Brian DePalma that said, "Why open with a shot of a city skyline?…

• Red_Dufresne

★★★½ Watched by Red_Dufresne 13 Apr, 2016

Impressive fight choreography but pretty predictable. Visually not very interesting and the vilification of the Japanese is pretty one note. Ip man is a too infallible and too perfect, so we don't get a sense that he might fail and this greatly reduces the tension. Even for a kung fu movie, the plot is VERY fucking thin and often the fight scenes feel superfluous. Otherwise the film is tightly edited and proficiently made, while also going over themes of tyranny and passivity in war pretty well.

• Jorge Carrillo

★★½ Rewatched by Jorge Carrillo 10 Apr, 2016

@ cheos

• amccabeuk

★★★★★ Watched by amccabeuk 07 Apr, 2016

One of the best martial arts films of recent years. Sublime.

• Criptictoumor

★★★★½ Watched by Criptictoumor 05 Apr, 2016

One of the best fighting movies I have ever seen. The fighting is great, the characters are not the deepest but interesting nonetheless and the story is great for a movie like that.

I'm excited to watch all the Ip Man movies - lets see how this turns out

• Regan McDonald

★★★★ Watched by Regan McDonald 03 Apr, 2016

I really wasn't sure what I was going to think about this. Martial Arts movies, although I do karate, have never really appealed to me, but I agreed to let Faisal pick a movie and this is what he chose!

I will still say that this is definitely a slow starter, you have to wait a bit before you really get into it and you have to overlook the bad acting at the beginning. Once the movie kicks in, literally,…

• Izzy B

★★★★ Watched by Izzy B 02 Apr, 2016

Surprisingly challenging

• Gonzo

★★★★ Added by Gonzo 1

Biopics are a hundred times better with some good, old-fashioned ass-whooping. Filmmakers, take note.

Ip Man is the man and Donnie Yen is a beast. Watching this film for the first time only made me even more hyped for Rogue One. If Yen pulls something like this on a bunch of stormtroopers, I'm gonna lose my feeble, little padawan mind.

If you got Netflix like me because of Daredevil, go give it a watch.

Highly entertaining and impossible to hate (just look at its ratings graph), Ip Man is recommended viewing.

• Jesús Lomelí

★★ Watched by Jesús Lomelí 11 Mar, 2016

BioPick del maestro de Bruce Lee, la cual se siente bastante dramatizada para el entretenimiento del publico.

Lo cual funciona para crear una divertida cinta de artes marciales, pero no creo que sea un BioPick muy fidedigno que digamos.

Con un carismático personaje central y una coreografía genial muy bien lograda, interesante pero definitivamente una cinta muy hallmark channel.

• filkatsxlt

★★★½ Watched by filkatsxlt 25 Mar, 2016

Ο μεγάλος δάσκαλος του Wing Chun, Ip Man έχει τα πάντα. Μια τέλεια οικογένεια, αρκετά χρήματα και ένα όμορφο σπίτι. Την εποχή εκείνη ο ίδιος δεν δέχονταν να διδάξει την τεχνική του όσα χρήματα και αν του πρόσφεραν . Αλλά όταν οι Ιάπωνες καταλαμβάνουν την Κίνα και την επαρχία Foshan κατά τη διάρκεια του 2ου παγκοσμίου πολέμου το 1937, ο Ip, αλλά και οι υπόλοιποι κάτοικοι της περιοχής, βρίσκονται σε καταναγκαστικά έργα ενώ αντιμετωπίζονται βάναυσα από τους Ιάπωνες που διασκεδάζουν…