• Matt Heiser

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Heiser 01 May, 2012

It's always reinvigorates me when I see movies that thrill/excite me, something that has been happening less and less for me with all of the movies I've already seen (I've been hitting a bit of a winning streak by watching more Asian films lately, particularly Ang Lee's pre-Hollywood films). In this case, it's the best action/martial arts film I've seen in the last 3-4 years probably. Can't wait to see the sequel.

• Sam Rajan

★★★½ Watched by Sam Rajan 15 May, 2014

"It's not about the style, it's about you." [in subtitles]

Ip Man has a much better variety of bone-crunching action than some of the martial art action movies that I've seen such as The Raid and The Raid 2. However, what makes The Raid and The Raid 2 quite great is the intensity of the story that exists behind it. This is especially true in the first movie where we as a viewer were completely uncertain how any of the…

• Rodrigo Jorge

★★★★★ Watched by Rodrigo Jorge 11 May, 2014

This is about as good as a Kung Fu film can get.

• Declan

★★★★ Added by Declan

Ip Man is loosely based (ie mostly made up) on the experiences of the real-life Yip Man, a martial arts teacher who taught Bruce Lee amongst others. Set during the Sino-Japanese War, this provides a much more realistic setting than many kung-fu films, which lends it a certain gravitas, all of which is handsomely staged in a way you would expect from historical epics, but not kung-fu films. But never worry, this IS undeniably a kung-fu film as well, featuring…

• Cinemaddict

★★½ Watched by Cinemaddict 03 May, 2014

This was like having to eat a tootsie pop when all you wanted was the tootsie roll. Really good martial arts sequences are surrounded by a plot that made me think "Oh, they went with formula x, how interesting. I know absolutely everything that's going to happen and how. Sure hope the martial arts scenes are extra good." And, I guess to the movie's credit they are, but those scenes are wrapped inside a really generic and tiresome attempt at…

• Sam Erazm

★★★½ Watched by Sam Erazm 22 Apr, 2014

How interesting. Upon watching this movie, I realized the only other martial arts film I can remember seeing was also a post-2001 production, Fearless from 2006 starring Jet Li, where imperialist powers occupying China were the primary antagonists. Then there was also The Good, The Bad, The Weird, which was a primarily Korean production but still had imperial Japan as the enemy, as in this film.

My recent experience with Western films - the way the foundation myth of America…

• Jeloy

★★★★½ Watched by Jeloy 15 Apr, 2014

Incredible martial arts film with a nice narration to it. First movie to get me interested in Chinese martial arts. The movie transfers its emotions very well.

• Chevalier

★★★½ Added by Chevalier

Wilson Yip doesn't take big risks in this biopic, where Ip Man beats Japanese imperial soldiers one after another. Donnie Yen portrays the master with a good sense ofhumble dignity, understanding that even when this is a MA film, Ip Man was not a Wong Fei Hung.

• Boost

★★★½ Added by Boost

Great action and directing. More melodrama than necessary, but that was the biopic vibe they were going for. Realistic sets and costumes, good acting. Interesting translation in the ending. "The Chinese won and ended a war that lasted 8 long years" The Chinese were on the winning side, but right up until the nukes China was losing. Quite a spin!

• Dnl Crnll

★★★★★ Added by Dnl Crnll

This is a great movie. The fighting is perfectly paced and integrated into the story so nothing feels contrived. And Donnie Yen's soft touch acting style fits perfectly. Love!

• Lilias

★★★½ Watched by Lilias 24 Mar, 2014

Interesting historical context, beautiful use of color, and some wicked fight scenes.

• Dnl Crnll