• Greg Dorr

★★★½ Watched by Greg Dorr 27 Jun, 2015

Donnie Yen is fantastic in the title role, with a natural and charismatic gravitas, even when the screenplay sometimes forces Ip Man into inscrutable choices and never bothers to clear up his motivations. Like all good kung fu movies that pretend to be about history, it has a fantastic series of fight scenes that culminate in some very stirring, emotional bouts (which are almost certainly ahistorical).

Directed by Wilson Yip, Ip Man didn't jump out at me as a remarkably…

• katakarin

★★★★ Watched by katakarin 13 Jun, 2015

___________________________________________________________
    Film 3 of the "Scavenger Hunt #3" Challenge!
    ___________________________________________________________

I know very little about martial arts, so what pleasure I have from watching martial arts movies comes from the aesthetics of the fight. Ip Man brings beauty to its fight, but also ugliness, the gut-wrenching feeling of watching a jaw being broken or a skull smashed. In the beginning it is a peaceful, prosperous time, and the fights are for recreation and elegance. However, the onset of Japan's…

• Zuul

★★★½ Watched by Zuul 14 Jun, 2015

Film 3 of the "Scavenger Hunt #3" Challenge: A martial arts film!

I must admit I do not generally care for martial arts films, and the first hour of this film got me wondering where they were going with the story.

So this guy Ip Man (the main character) is the best martial artist in the village. Here comes a challenger, which he beats, now there's another challenger, what will happen next? Ok, still unbeaten (not even hurt). I am…

• Erika Neves

★★★★★ Added by Erika Neves

Bem, para ator favorito resolvi fazer algo diferente.Acho que já dá pra ter uma ideia pelo título do post, né?

Não escondo de ninguém que sou apaixonada pelos homens asiáticos, então seria impossível escolher apenas um nessa categoria, então decidi eleger o meu favorito de cada cantinho da Ásia.E o primeiro vai ser o meu maravilhoso Donnie Yen.

“Yip Man” foi um dos primeiros filmes que eu assisti dele, e até hoje, junto com “Flash Point” é o meu filme…

• Cory De Silva

★★★★★ Added by Cory De Silva

Brilliant.

• LillaLili

Added by LillaLili

Yip Man

• Ad Weterings

★★★★ Watched by Ad Weterings 16 May, 2015

Great fighting scenes, and some history. About a village filled with martial arts schools. They are concerned with who is the best. Ip man is ofcourse. He has no school and no students which is very weird because the second (after) and third (before) movies show that all he wants to do is promote his fighting style for all the world to see no less. His fighting is impressive as heck. No wonder he was the inspiration for Bruce Lee.

• Arkknight

★★★ Rewatched by Arkknight 23 May, 2015

He trained fucking Bruce Lee.

• Hamus

Rewatched by Hamus 22 May, 2015

You can trash talk the historical inaccuracies, occasional schlock writing, and utter misrepresentation of various cultures in Ip Man but you can't deny the awe and power of some of those fights scenes, especially the spellbinding "10 vs 1". That scene, along with Oldboy's corridor sequence and almost every Jackie Chan-choreographed battles, is at the top of my favourite fight scenes in cinema.

• Rob Schultz

★★★ Watched by Rob Schultz 05 May, 2015

I always like a movie about someone who is good at what they do. And Ip Man does it with a big smile!

• Leila

★★★★★ Added by Leila

One of my favorite martial arts movies. Donnie Yen is amazing and the choreography is superb. It is also heart wrenching and based off of a true story. Worth many rewatchs

• NeutronPong

★★★ Watched by NeutronPong 09 Jan, 2012

The first dramatization I've seen of Chinese life during (merciless) Japanese occupation, it set the stage for an uplifting reversal.