• Merriweather

★★★★½ Added by Merriweather

I love it!

• Infernal King

★★★★★ Rewatched by Infernal King 28 Aug, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?"

"That is the coolest thing I've ever seen!"

Iron Man accomplishes what I heretofore thought was impossible: it makes the first act of the hero's origin story (before he attains his powers) the most enjoyable part of a comic book movie.

Tony Stark is a guiltless hedonist living the ultimate playboy lifestyle with narcissistic charm and dexterity. A rich weapons manufacturer, he…

• Conan Tan

★★★★ Rewatched by Conan Tan 04 Jul, 2015

This film is that good, that if it didn't do well, the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe would most likely not exist. It also shows that Marvel does not need to rely on its most popular characters (Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four). It somehow made a successful template for a Marvel Studios film. That also means this film also started the weaknesses of a Marvel film like underdeveloped villains. The Iron Monger should have appeared in more movies though. The casting is great especially Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 21 Aug, 2010

A not bad superhero movie. Downey Jr is decent, but the final battle was a bit of a let down.

• Buddy Moore

★★★★ Watched by Buddy Moore 25 Aug, 2015 2

Robert Downey Jr. is perfect as smug-playboy-millionaire-who-develops-a-conscience Tony Stark. The film has the right amount of humor, and Downey handles it deftly. Iron Man has always seemed the most plausible (and invincible) of the super heroes, so much that I almost find this one conceivable.

I'm watching the Marvel Cinematic Universe in order (most of them for the first time as well), and I'm tempted to jump past the Hulk just to see Iron Man 2 ASAP.

• Elliot Fane

★★★½ Rewatched by Elliot Fane 24 Aug, 2015

Probably one of my favourite Marvel films, but this is only a 7/10, so it isn't saying too much about Marvel! Overall, it's entertaining to watch, the story is very engaging in the first act and the lead performance is pretty good.

I think the film suffers through the typical Marvel cliches of a fairly weak villain and a checklist of things to have in a studio blockbuster to try and make it more appealing to general audience and not break any boundaries.

Otherwise, a pretty good superhero movie!

• nagoya

★★★★ Added by nagoya

The only super-hero film I have seen. I enjoyed it

• mfulton

★★½ Added by mfulton

C+

• Tim Lawrence

★★★½ Rewatched by Tim Lawrence 21 Aug, 2015

An exceptionally solid note on which to start the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's actually rather astonishing to go back and see Robert Downey Jr. playing a well-rounded and three-dimensional character with an actual arc, rather than the self-caricature he's become, to varying degrees,* in subsequent films. This film's first act is some of the strongest cinema Marvel has produced; it's instantly engaging and brisk without feeling rushed or sloppy. Even though the following two acts lose a bit of steam…

• Capitan Nudillos

★★★★ Rewatched by Capitan Nudillos 21 Aug, 2015

And here we have the most loved and super cool hero of all time, even more than Batman (at least in movies). Two millionaires, one with exquisite taste, this one with an incredible personality. What if they fight? Not to save the planet, but for tits or the seal of the coolest person in the world of superheroes!

• Jeremy Heilman

★★ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 02 May, 2008

The glib, ironic tone that prevails here seems an ill fit with the insistence upon spectacle. The lumbering action scenes are remarkably devoid of any suspense. The entire movie seems standoffish, as if we should all be so in on its jokes that we don't actually need to be entertained.

37/100

• Janne

★★★ Watched by Janne 15 Aug, 2015

Watched this movie for the first time only 7 years after its release. Several of my friends have been telling me that Iron Man is a good Marvel movie - and they were right, Iron Man was a good movie. There are some batmanesque elements at play, as Tony Stark has no actual super powers, but rather uses technology in his advantage. Unlike newer Batman films, however, Iron Man is quite a light-hearted film.

I'm not sure if I really…