• Clint Luciantonio

★★★★ Watched by Clint Luciantonio 01 Jun, 2015

The mental breakdown as portrayed in cinema was never the same after this cult favourite hit the theatre backs in '90. This may be because unlike other attempts at this portrayal, the revelation at the end was satisfying and appropriate, allowing perceptive viewers to place the pieces into the bigger picture as they are revealed without giving up the tense atmosphere created. Nothing in this film, be it the continuity, narrative, sound design, or tone, has a firm footing in…

• jolocus

★★★★ Watched by jolocus 28 Jun, 2015

I went into this movie completely blind. Only things I knew were that it's a horror movie and that it's hard to find in Germany.

The movie follows Jacob Singer, a vietnam veteran who has crazy stuff happening to him. I don't wanna spoil too much so I'm keeping this pretty vague.

First, the opening is great. We start at a scene in a war camp and the sudden shift is great and perfectly acted. First they all just talk…

• NarcissusWaffle

★★★★½ Rewatched by NarcissusWaffle 26 Jun, 2015 1

"I'm alive!"

I remember having seen this movie before I got internet at my house. I heard good things about it prior, I remember how good of an actor Tim Robbins is, and it caught me at a perfect time.

It tells the story of a Vietnam war veteran who starts seeing bizarre hallucinations and reviving the memories of his dead son. Hilarity ensues.

I rate this movie as high as I do because, as slow as it is, I…

• pirs

★★★½ Watched by pirs 24 Jun, 2015 1

"According to this, you are already dead."

Nice little portrait of PTSD, the horrors of war and army conspiracies. Definitely a dark and realistic approach to warfare, and how it deconstructs men. Whereas films like The Thin Red Line show death surrounding life on a contemplative fashion, the psychological drama of Jacob's Ladder focuses on the rawness of what happens to a soldier after combat, after images so disturbing people subconsciously block them.

Very good.

• Daan Janssens

★★★½ Watched by Daan Janssens 23 Jun, 2015 1

Getraumatiseerde Jacob (Tim Robbins) baant zich een weg door de gekte van de wereld om hem heen. Hij wordt achtervolgt door lugubere hersenspinsels, duistere gedachten en vreselijke herinneringen. De film toont niet slechts één verhaallijn, maar een karakter vast en verloren in meerdere. De ene een ware nachtmerrie, de ander een opluchtende droom. Maar wat is de werkelijkheid? Op een verwarrende, maar slimme manier wordt het verleden en de werkelijkheid van Jacob aan de kijker vertelt. Met op het einde…

• Juan Bacaro

★★★★★ Watched by Juan Bacaro 23 Jun, 2015 1

Impresionante obra de arte. Siempre me habían recomendado ver esta película y me tocó posponerla por mucho tiempo (un cuarto de siglo, para especificar).

"Jacob’s Ladder" no es solo un impactante trabajo de insólita dirección con ímplicita denuncia y protesta sobre los trastornos posguerra. Es también una de las películas más dramáticas, terroríficas y sensorialmente efectivas al describir los infinitos recodos de una mente enferma en el umbral de la muerte. Un magistral viaje subjetivo como pocas veces he visto…

• Jon Birondo

★★★★ Watched by Jon Birondo 21 Jun, 2015

Watching this many f*cked up films isn't bad for me right?

• Herrguth

★★★★ Watched by Herrguth 14 Jun, 2015

Movie #13 in Scavenger Hunt #3.
    Task #13: A film that makes you question the sanity of either the actor or the director!

This movie is brilliantly put together.
    Tim Robbins and Elizabeth Peña both deliver great performances.
    The dialogue is sometimes questionable and I thought that it lost a little pace in the last half hour.
    The visuals were great and made sure it maintained a mysterious and creepy vibe throughout the movie.

• Gabriel Normand-Roy

★★★★ Watched by Gabriel Normand-Roy 06 Jun, 2015

What a ride. A strange one. Think about an electrocardiogram. See the pikes, the ups and downs. Imagine yourself in a little roller coaster taking all these ups and downs. You can't leave the attraction. You might get lost. You have to do it until the pikes are nothing more than an infinite flat line so it's safe to get out, be free. Reality or imagination? Those are the words I kept asking myself during this film. You are in the head of Jacob Singer. There doesn't seems to be any way out. Is there?

Amazing performance by Tim Robbins.

• JohnTyler

★★★★★ Added by JohnTyler

One of the most original and disturbing horror films ever made, Jacob's Ladder is beautifully acted, perfectly directed, incredibly well-written, and features some of the most frightening visual imagery ever put to film.

• soggy

★★★½ Added by soggy

AAAAAH!!! I'M IN HELL!!!! This movie genuinely feels like you're in hell for 2 hours. It's horrible. It's great!

• longcoldwinter

★★ Watched by longcoldwinter 15 May, 2015

Sort of a well-remembered oddity from the back-end of the 80s for lots of people it seems, imdb ratings and all that. Didn´t get to see it until a week ago although I remember it sitting around in my hometown´s closest rental.

Unfortunately it´s one of those horror movies that try to avoid being horror movies in the first place, not unreasonably since it´s 1990 and horror ain´t selling much these days. So what we get here is a story…