• Amalric

Watched by Amalric 15 Aug, 2015

One star for one hell of a performance by Tim Robbin's wig.

• Kai

★★★★ Watched by Kai 14 Aug, 2015

No way

• Not Ben Sachs

Added by Not Ben Sachs

In one of his first starring roles, Tim Robbins plays Jacob, an emotionally scarred Vietnam War veteran estranged from his wife and working as a postman in 1970s New York. But what begins as a muted social drama gradually turns into a surrealistic nightmare more unpredictable and terrifying than almost any other commercial American film. As JACOB’S LADDER unravels, it seems more and more likely that the “story” is really a hallucination, the result of Jacob having been a guinea…

• Jabba Jabba

★★★ Watched by Jabba Jabba 09 Aug, 2015

I've been wanting to see this for years, and had no idea about anything in the plot. Now that I've seen it, I feel a little cheated. It was good, but also felt a little empty and unsatisfying. There are some moments that are genuinely disturbing and creepy, but there is also layers of muddled story that don't pay off entirely at the ending. It might play different on repeat viewings, but the ending didn't entirely work for me.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 05 Nov, 1990

Adrian Lyne's "Jacob's Ladder" slipped into cinemas without much warning. As the movie unfolds it takes on various genres all within the "home base" of "Horror" -- but it goes much deeper than that.

Tim Robbins and the late Elizabeth Pena are the movie's greatest assets.

I've seen this film several times since that first time in the cinema. I was still a kid when I first saw it. I felt cheated by the movie's ending. In fact, I didn't…

• Himanshu Honey

Added by Himanshu Honey

a creepy and unnerving psychological thriller

• P_WM

★★★★ Watched by P_WM 05 Aug, 2015

Let down by a rather saccharine third act that seeks to provide closure for the audience and release for Jacob where events should perhaps grow increasingly tense as he follows the ladder (whatever it may be) further up/down, this is otherwise an excellent film .

Stunning, often horrifying, visuals and generally solid performances (excepting the, I assume unintentionally excoriating, love interest) combine with a mostly great story to make this a very memorable film. I feel it would have benefited from trying much less hard no to defy explanation: the scenes which perform this function feel redundant and out of place.

• Jez Meyer

★★★★ Rewatched by Jez Meyer 06 Aug, 2015

Man though, that final act. With a bit of tidying up this could have been one of the all-time best psychological thrillers, but instead it exasperates just as much as it impresses.

• Richard Trapp

★★★½ Watched by Richard Trapp 04 Aug, 2015

An effective, atmospheric mindfuck of a film with a terrific performance from Tim Robbins, Jacob's Ladder is a psychological thriller done right, even if it does feel incomplete and underdeveloped in areas.

• rewatchvalue

★★ Watched by rewatchvalue 30 Jul, 2015

What I really wanted from this film was a complete mind twisting story similar to Villeneuve's Enemy but Jacob's Ladder is not so different from many psychological thrillers. Once it's revealed that the government is behind responsible for his hallucination, it's kinda of a drag from there.

• Zuul

★★★½ Watched by Zuul 25 Jul, 2015

___________________________________________________________
    Film #27 of the "Scavenger Hunt #4" Challenge!
    Task #9. Film that takes place in a mental institution!
    letterboxd.com/zuul/list/scavenger-hunt-4/
    ___________________________________________________________

A scary nightmare of a film that tastes a bit like a Cronenberg flick.

The purpose of this film is to confuse the viewer as much as its main character, Jacob. What is real, what is a dream, what is a flashback? Am I going to hell?
    A haunting mix of post traumatic stress disorder, fever, hallucinations, horned demons,…

• Piers Dennis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Piers Dennis 19 Jul, 2015

This is one of the best psychological thriller/horror movies for many reasons, the first of which being that it follows a protagonist who is completely believable in his actions, conversation, and fears about his own sanity, much of which is due to Tim Robbins' compelling performance.

This movie is also terrifying.

The surreal imagery:
    blank faces on the subway, a bloody insane asylum, soulless eyes, humans moving inhumanly, even tentacle sex.
    All that and more combined with jarring sound effects…