• Matheus Albano

★★★★ Watched by Matheus Albano 21 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• John

★★★★ Rewatched by John 18 Oct, 2014

Adrian Lyne's look inside the mind of a Vietnam veteran is both chilling and unnerving. Tim Robbins, in one of his most memorable roles, perfectly walks the thin line between sanity and madness.

• Marq

★★★★★ Rewatched by Marq 18 Oct, 2014

Halloween Hype 2014, Part XIV

One of my favourite films. As stylishly striking and emotionally compelling as ever. Best watched very late at night in the dark, for maximum discomfort and to becoming enraptured by film's dreamlike qualities.

Watched as part of this year's Halloween Hype viewings, but also to appreciate Elizabeth Peña excellent performance after her recent passing this week. Beautiful work.

• Active Dynamics

★★★★½ Watched by Active Dynamics 17 Oct, 2014

Fantastic story, excellent acting, creepy visuals and thought provoking themes. Only dropped it down a half star because of the ending.

• Adam Slusar

★★★★½ Watched by Adam Slusar 16 Oct, 2014 3

A brilliant effort from Fatal Attraction director Adrian Lyne, Jacob's Ladder is an unsettling tour de force led by an outstanding performance from Tim Robbins.

• Jordan Sarnovsky

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan Sarnovsky 12 Oct, 2014

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life..."

The deterioration of the human condition is quite possibly the most unnerving thing to watch. I can't put my finger on what it is that makes this film so affective, but it's simply innately creepy. Yet it's extremely serious and psychological for a horror film. Perhaps that's what makes this stand out comparably to the more recent horror films: entirely different approaches to the idea of fear.

• Tony Garcia

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tony Garcia 12 Oct, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR: Day 12

Jacob's Ladder deliberately withholds information in such a way that we are left unable to reason the differences between the two worlds our main character Jacob lives in, guiding us with promises of answers & explanations. For this film to truly satisfy our curiosity, it has to throw us under the bus. This film is the prime example of unpredictability while remaining intriguing. One of the main things Jacob's Ladder has going for it is…

• 48ONIRAM

Watched by 48ONIRAM 10 Oct, 2014

One of the things that makes this film so effective is that, at first, Jacob is not exactly what we expect from the protagonist of a film of this type. He's not dour or cracked or gloomy. Despite all he's been through he is quick to laugh and joke, friendly with his neighbors and coworkers and seems well liked. He's happy with his new love and seems on a path to recovering from his trauma. It makes everything that happens…

• Wilson

★★★ Watched by Wilson 09 Oct, 2014

Jacob's Ladder is a creepy post-war thriller, vaguely unsettling and at times horrific; that is anchored by a strong central performance by the always good Tim Robbins. I quite liked Adrian Lyne's early 1990s visual touch, though the more horrific the film became the less sure Lyne's handling of the material was. My major issue with the film, beyond the unreliable narrator being a great concept in novels that is often annoying in omniscient films, is that the whole concept,…

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe DiCanio 24 Sep, 2014

Rating: B+

• Daniel Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Rodriguez 07 Oct, 2014 2

Hoop-Tober Film #8

In the immense horror spectrum, Jacob's Ladder stands somewhere around drama and war, as it shows a man literally and figuratively fighting his demons and hallucinations about the tragedies of his life in and out of the war. A fantastic performance by Tim Robbins and the hellish imagery of his hallucinations are the highlights of this underrated classic. And it's always good to see a great movie from the year I was born!

• Joe DiCanio