• Rian Mercer

★★★★ Watched by Rian Mercer 29 Oct, 2014

I went into this expecting a regular horror film, but Jacob's Ladder is so much more than that. Reality is obscured throughout the film with flashbacks and the titular character haunted by literal and metaphorical demons. The cinematography helped to create a dark, grimy urban environment that served as a modern hell, and the small details (particularly at the start of the film) that help to hint at the film's ending as well as allude to the film's philosophical elements…

• Philmjohn

★★★★ Rewatched by Philmjohn 10 Oct, 2014

Wow, I'm really happy that a friend recommended this great film for consideration in my Cinematic Vietnam retrospective. (I’m still not going to include it as a “Vietnam” film. Yeah, the subject matter’s there but this is certainly more in the genre realm, and most definitely not of the War type.) Anyway, I remember watching part of this in the early 90’s but since it didn’t mesh with my teenage idea of a horror film, I only made it through…

• Collin Souter

★★★★½ Added by Collin Souter

Whatever happened to Adrian Lyne? I can't say I miss him, but having just re-watched this film, I can say the guy had an amazing eye and always had a top-notch team of editors, composers and cinematographers working with him. "Jacob's Ladder" is by far his most accomplished work, a film that holds up remarkably well today. Bruce Joel Ruben's screenplay, like "Ghost," effortlessly bounces around with tones, at once creepy and hallucinogenic, then suddenly turning emotional and tender, all of it anchored by Robbins, who deserved more recognition for his work here.

Definitely worth a re-visit.

• Jack Cox

★★★★ Watched by Jack Cox 25 Oct, 2014

Jacob's Ladder is a thinking person's horror movie, with one hell of an surprise ending and supported by brilliant acting by Tim Robbins as the title character. It's a truly heartbreaking story, because as noted in the end credits, during the Vietnam war, the U.S. Government used experimental drugs on soldiers.

Undoubtedly, Jacob's Ladder was an influence on other horror related media, especially the Silent Hill games the rapid head shaking in some of the hallucinations as well as the…

• Nathan Anderson

★★★★½ Added by Nathan Anderson

31 Days of Horror: #23

Accompanying Illustration:
    nathanandersonart.tumblr.com/post/100781552844/31-days-of-horror-23-film-jacobs-ladder

Jacob’s Ladder is among the most tense, yet subtly disturbing films I’ve ever seen. It expertly uses the twists and turns in its story to create a very uneasy and unique experience. Definitely among my top ten horror films ever.

• Matheus Albano

★★★★ Watched by Matheus Albano 21 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• John

★★★★ Rewatched by John 18 Oct, 2014

Adrian Lyne's look inside the mind of a Vietnam veteran is both chilling and unnerving. Tim Robbins, in one of his most memorable roles, perfectly walks the thin line between sanity and madness.

• Marq

★★★★★ Rewatched by Marq 18 Oct, 2014

Halloween Hype 2014, Part XIV

One of my favourite films. As stylishly striking and emotionally compelling as ever. Best watched very late at night in the dark, for maximum discomfort and to becoming enraptured by film's dreamlike qualities.

Watched as part of this year's Halloween Hype viewings, but also to appreciate Elizabeth Peña excellent performance after her recent passing this week. Beautiful work.

• Active Dynamics

★★★★½ Watched by Active Dynamics 17 Oct, 2014

Fantastic story, excellent acting, creepy visuals and thought provoking themes. Only dropped it down a half star because of the ending.

• Adam Slusar

★★★★½ Watched by Adam Slusar 16 Oct, 2014 3

A brilliant effort from Fatal Attraction director Adrian Lyne, Jacob's Ladder is an unsettling tour de force led by an outstanding performance from Tim Robbins.

• Jordan Sarnovsky

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan Sarnovsky 12 Oct, 2014

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life..."

The deterioration of the human condition is quite possibly the most unnerving thing to watch. I can't put my finger on what it is that makes this film so affective, but it's simply innately creepy. Yet it's extremely serious and psychological for a horror film. Perhaps that's what makes this stand out comparably to the more recent horror films: entirely different approaches to the idea of fear.

• Tony Garcia

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tony Garcia 12 Oct, 2014

31 DAYS OF HORROR: Day 12

Jacob's Ladder deliberately withholds information in such a way that we are left unable to reason the differences between the two worlds our main character Jacob lives in, guiding us with promises of answers & explanations. For this film to truly satisfy our curiosity, it has to throw us under the bus. This film is the prime example of unpredictability while remaining intriguing. One of the main things Jacob's Ladder has going for it is…