• MarcInman

★★★★★ Watched by MarcInman 23 Apr, 2014

Two things: Danny Aiello's explanation of death and hell and what the ladder is were worth 5 stars alone.

• onemarathon

★★★★ Rewatched by onemarathon 18 Apr, 2014

Jacob Singer is a Vietnam vet who is suffering from trippy nightmares and daytime visions. His dream-reality is fraught with fears of both conspiracy and the supernatural. It is often difficult to tell if Jake is awake or not, and what has transpired since the last scene, and what the hell does any of this mean?

Tim Robbins does a super job as Singer, and as an interesting little twist, Danny Aiello appears as his "angel" chiropractor. Seemingly little, anyway,…

• Dragonknight

★★★★ Watched by Dragonknight 17 Apr, 2014 5

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• anne_f_

★★★★ Watched by anne_f_ 09 Apr, 2014

I have little idea exactly what was going on here, but thoroughly enjoyed this nightmare story nonetheless. One to watch again.

• Marc D

★★★★ Rewatched by Marc D 09 Apr, 2014

An oddity not just for lurid erotic thriller director Adrian Lyne, but for anyone seeking conventional thrills from this downbeat, haunted film. This is the gritty, grainy New York of the late 80's (when it was filmed), and the fantastic creeps tangibly into the docu-realist surroundings like sickly mutations. For a psychological thriller, it has some of the most grotesquely insinuating imagery this side of a David Cronenberg film: Jacob (Tim Robbins) reaching past what looks like a raw, pink…

• Devon Graham

★★★★ Watched by Devon Graham 02 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Owen Hughes

★★★ Watched by Owen Hughes 24 Feb, 2014

I really wanted to like Jacob's Ladder. I've never quite warmed to Tim Robbins as an actor, but after watching and liking his performance in The Shawshank Redemption more than I thought I would, my expectations did increase in anticipation of this psychological horror/thriller of a Vietnam-vet suffering PTSD.

The weird, dream-like (or, rather, nightmarish) quality that haunts the film was the most interesting part. The atmosphere throughout was constantly teetering on the verge of collapse into either a deep…

• hodorhodorhodor

★★★★ Watched by hodorhodorhodor 21 Mar, 2014

Even having read about the twist, it was still a genuinely terrifying and moving film. Interestingly, this movie appears to mark the first use of the now-familiar visual horror trope of the fast-head-shaking-thing (cf. girlmeetsfreak.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jacob__s_ladder_head_shake_by_elberto333-d4sqsck.gif). Yes, this move was introduced to the world by the same guy who directed Flashdance. Now you know!

• ktepi

★★★★ Added by ktepi

aka the Adrian Lyne movie that isn't about sex.

It's nice when a movie still holds up almost 25 years (!) after you first saw it, and even nicer when it holds up even though you know the twists and what's going on. Good work by everybody involved, and reminded me why I learned Matt Craven's name - there was that period of a few years where he showed up in everything, and somehow everything he was in was always worth watching. Good job, Hardware!

• acanac

★★★★½ Added by acanac

one of those movies that ekes out a miserable, grimy landscape. it doesn't seem like a classic at first, but the images and ideas haunt you so prominently after it's over that before you realize it, you've begun to breathe in fear and wonder

• Neal Anderson

★★★★½ Added by Neal Anderson

Easily one of the most undervalued horror films ever made.

• ainsworth

Watched by ainsworth 13 Mar, 2014

pretentious parody on the whole survival-horror genre. instead of directing a viewer through the "windmills of the mind" the director chooses a "misdirection". ba-dum-tss.