• Mariska

★★★ Added by Mariska

A story about devoted and dedicated man and his pursuit for perfection in sushi-making craft. He only owns a small, 10-seated sushi stall yet his dishes earns 3-Michelin star.

Beautifully shot, ultra-mouth watering, do not watch this on an empty stomach.

• Jason Cregan

★★★★ Watched by Jason Cregan 03 Jul, 2015

On the surface, a film about sushi doesn't sound very entertaining. But this certainly is. Centred on Jiro Ono, one of the best chefs in the world, this documentary is about far more than sushi. It gives us an insight into passion, love, rivalry, hard work, and pure dedication.

The saying that it takes 10,000 hours of practice at something to become a master has never been proved to be so wrong. 4/5.

• Juliette

★★★★ Added by Juliette

JIRO let me tell you something : my taste buds and I will wait as long as it takes but we will not go to Japan without visiting you!!

• Eli H

★★★★ Watched by Eli H 20 Aug, 2015

When Jiro and his eldest son went to visit Jiro's childhood friends, I was elated with this feeling that life can be so wonderful--it's overwhelming. Such a nice life moment in the most beautiful film about sushi.

• Keith

★★★½ Watched by Keith 29 Jul, 2015

Textbook crisp and clean modern documentary with the perfunctory Philip Glass score, symmetrical still-life closeups, and gushing praise for a highly specialized skill.

More time focusing on the family dynamics and history [AND THE HORRIFYING FISHMARKET] would have been appreciated.

• Pedro Groppo

★★½ Watched by Pedro Groppo 14 Aug, 2015

Puff piece.

• Joakim

★★★½ Watched by Joakim 18 Aug, 2015

Odd musical choices in this one. Almost jarring how it doesn't contain a single eastern melody, but is compiled completely out of western music. Felt out of place many a-times.
    Fascinating look at simplicity, repetition and the strive for perfection.

• Robert

★★★★ Watched by Robert 17 Aug, 2015

“I fell in love with my work and gave my life to it.”

In a world where processed food reigns supreme and low quality ingredients becomes the norm, a dedication for perfection in food is admirable. It isn’t just about the right ingredients however, as years of training and painstaking effort are required while working towards continuous improvement. It’s not an easy craft by any means, and it comes with great sacrifice.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi introduces us to Jiro…

• Shadia Pradsmadji

★★★★½ Watched by Shadia Pradsmadji 13 Aug, 2015

Very beautiful philosophy told in a very sophisticated yet calm way. Full of passion--I can sense that.

And yes, now I want to grab some sushi.

• Dreception

★★★ Watched by Dreception 11 Aug, 2015 4

A fairly conventional documentary on some riveting/inspiring subject matter. The film focus's on Chef Jiro who runs Sukiyabashi Jiro, considered by many to be one of the best sushi restaurants in Tokyo, if not the world. Jiro is currently 89 years old and continues to make sushi and work at the restaurant night and day. This documentary delves into his work mentality, his family/personal life, some of his techniques, what a meal at the restaurant is like, and an overall…

• Pranav Birajdar

★★★★ Watched by Pranav Birajdar 06 Aug, 2015

Here's some reasons why you should watch this documentary:

1) He is helmed as the master of all masters when it comes to Sushi.
    89 years old, Jiro still works at his three star Michelin restaurant with only 10 seats, no menu, an advanced booking of at least a month (an year in some cases) and only one recipe,
    2) With almost 79 years of experience, he is undoubtedly a hallmark of hard work, love towards ones passion and a…

• russman

★★★★ Watched by russman 09 Aug, 2015

I've always wanted to eat octopus Oldboy style