• celiney26

★★★★½ Watched by celiney26 13 Nov, 2015

"9/10"

• TDotRome

★★★★ Watched by TDotRome 15 Dec, 2015

I'm a huge food doc fan, so this may have suffered from my breadth of viewing history. It had huge buzz when released. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the story of this family. I want to go and eat at both restaurants!!

• Luis_989

★★★ Added by Luis_989

Este documental es un retrato apetitoso sobre el trabajo y la vida del chef de 85 años de edad, Jiro Ono, el chef más viejo en ganar tres estrellas Michelin (por su restaurante de sushi de solo 10 plazas, en Tokio: Sukiyabashi Jiro), La película es tan limpia y simple como una de las creaciones de su sujeto. Lo peor que se puede decir de la ópera prima del cineasta David Gelb es que es tal vez esta un poco…

• Nick Grant

★★★ Watched by Nick Grant 06 Feb, 2016 1

A good portrait.

I'm not so sure I think Jiro's a good guy though. He dissuaded his sons from going to college, and claims he thinks it'd be best if they did the same thing day after day. He also jokes about having been a bully when he was younger, which doesn't cast his supreme dedication to sushi in a good light. Everyone involved - including former employees - seem happy, though.

The movie claims that, "with every bite you…

• ConnerRWood

★★★★½ Watched by ConnerRWood 02 Feb, 2016

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this is one of my favorite documentaries that I've seen. I'm growing a larger respect for them.

• Lucas Cherkewski

★★★★★ Watched by Lucas Cherkewski 30 Jan, 2016

This is a masterful study of legacy, expressed through the long tradition of a craft, through the consideration of the craft and its impact on the environment, and, ultimately, through the interaction of a father and his sons.

• Meredith VandenBerg

★★★½ Watched by Meredith VandenBerg 28 Jan, 2016

This documentary is making me crave raw fish at 12:20 in the morning. What an interesting art this is. Everything seems so particular and perfectly crafted. I can't imagine ever spending what comes out to be around $250 on sushi. But boy, does this food look good.

• uhhhhh

★★★½ Added by uhhhhh

A fascinating portrait of the expertise that a singular focus affords.

• Killian

★★★★ Added by Killian

This was so beautiful and so awesome, I love movies about cooking

• phrosen

★★★★ Watched by phrosen 21 Jan, 2016

For when you want to have your sense of selfworth crushed all the while looking at pretty foods.

• Sean Dzenawagis

★★★★ Watched by Sean Dzenawagis 21 Jan, 2016

A surprisingly enjoyable documentary about a food I'm not particular interested in. However, while watching I discovered a yearning to travel to Tokyo and pay nearly $300 for some of Jiro's acclaimed sushi. Well shot with a slew of interesting asides and life lessons. Well worth the watch.

• viacely

★★★★½ Watched by viacely 12 Jan, 2016

A documentary of 85 year old Jiro Ono, a shokunin of sushi in the pursuit of perfection. Beautifully executed and interesting even if you're not into cooking yourself.