• William Kretschmer

★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 29 Oct, 2014

Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians.
    Silly pulp sci-fi fantasy with a touch of steampunk, only the creatures, ships and Mars landscapes are worth the show.

• Earl Woods

★★★★ Watched by Earl Woods 17 Mar, 2012

A Pastiche of Mars
    I am a very young man; how young I do not know. Possibly I am but twelve, perhaps younger; but I cannot tell, for I have never aged as other men, nor do I anticipate adulthood. And yet I feel that I cannot remain a very young man forever, that some day I shall grow to full maturity from which there is no coming back. I do now know why I should fear adulthood, I who…

• Jason Bally

Added by Jason Bally

How did this movie ever get greenlit? Who thought this was a good idea?

• twiggyleaf

★★★★½ Added by twiggyleaf

I watched this when it first came out but just re-watched it again today. Both times I became wonderfully immersed in the rich story telling and splendour of the scenes, the monsters, the characters and the adventure. Some stunning effects but never just standing alone. I believe this was the director's first live action movie and it sure is a good 'un. Taylor Kitsch is epic as Carter!

• rewatchvalue

★★½ Watched by rewatchvalue 04 Nov, 2015

John Carter is like a reverse superman where a human from earth is transported to another planet and gains powers that he uses to save the planet's inhabitants.

This is a by the book, trope by trope, hero movie. You got the hero that does good because he has to, the princess in distress who is forced to marry the bad guy, and in between there are fight scenes and aliens. It's not bad but nothing new.

• Emily

★★★ Watched by Emily 02 Nov, 2015

The only thing that got me through this man-fest of a film is the fact that Lynn Collins' character existed.

Had that princess/professor of science/all round badass with weapons not been there to tame my raging mind about the lack of female characters, I probably would've switched off shortly after the whole 'my name is NOT Virginia' debacle.

But then again, I should have expected that situation to arise. The name of the film is a man's. Why couldn't it…

• Marna Larsen

★½ Added by Marna Larsen

Just the most boring five hours of my life.

• Jackson Leocadio

★★ Watched by Jackson Leocadio 29 Oct, 2015

Quando criança eu tive a oportunidade de ler e curtir algumas das histórias em quadrinhos de John Carter de Marte que vinham como extras nas revistas do Tarzan que meu pai guardava de sua juventude. Em alguns aspectos, o filme até consegue evocar a nostalgia daquelas aventuras pulp. O grande problema é que ele falha naquilo que toda space opera deveria ser, despretensioso e divertido na medida certa. Não que a película tenha grandes ambições temáticas, mas trata a história…

• Rob McGregor

★★½ Watched by Rob McGregor 20 Oct, 2014

In which... critics are exceptionally too harsh about this... it has problems... but I think some people made plenty of issues up to make it seem worse when it flopped... like kicking it when it was down...

• Matias Gallipoli

★★½ Watched by Matias Gallipoli 05 Oct, 2015

Q se yo, esta bien. Seguramente podria durar un toque menos, y la cara del pibe este no se q onda, pero hay algo q desconcentra.

• Andreas Walther

★★★★ Rewatched by Andreas Walther 25 Oct, 2015

John Carter's manifold issues start as early as a misconceived, useless prologue that kills the sense of wonder of later scenes. Everything to do with terms like Sab Than or negotiations over a marriage or "science" isn't just a drag, it's tedious. Taylor Kitsch doesn't fit well as a selfless hero with constant, annoying reminders that he just wants his "cave of gold". We heard you the first time, gold digger. Lynn Collins' character is an empty vessel for unearned…

• Richard

★★½ Watched by Richard 25 Oct, 2015

Unfairly maligned as being a total flop, but ploddingly cumbersome in places.

Some of the most beautiful spaceships I've seen in a while.