• Brian

★★★½ Watched by Brian 10 Apr, 2015

Underrated sci-fi with some captivating settings and satisfying action. Whilst not perfect by any means, it kept me hooked till the end!

• Mrchef

Watched by Mrchef 06 Feb, 2016

Watched for the upcoming The Next Picture Show Podcast. (thenextpictureshow.tumblr.com/)

I'm giving this a like because to my surprise it wasn't completely terrible. It's not very good either but I can see why extreme fans of fantasy would really enjoy it as the world is very detailed and has lots of imagination.

• Aaron White

★★★ Rewatched by Aaron White 06 Feb, 2016

Bumping my rating up a bit after a second viewing. There is plenty that could have been done better, but this is still a very good story idea played out in an entertaining fantastical world.

• Gaines

★★ Watched by Gaines 05 Feb, 2016

I did not need to see a remix of Avatar and Attack of the Clones even if said remix was actually the great-grandfather of both. I enjoyed *some* comedic bits (though the movie peaked early with the Looney Tunes-style Bryan Cranston interrogation scene), and some of the hammier performances, especially James Purefoy's. He seemed to have much more fun than the others.

• Alexander Balagot

★★½ Added by Alexander Balagot

must die?

• Kevin Koeser

★★★ Rewatched by Kevin Koeser 04 Feb, 2016

There are so many fun, creative action scenes, it's a shame what happens between them is so convoluted and boring.

• Arthur Freitas

★★★½ Watched by Arthur Freitas 04 Feb, 2016

Ok, vamos falar de John Carter:

Eu não entendo como gostam mais de Avatar. John Carter tem uma história bastante legal, atuações excelentes (o elenco é muito esforçado e trabalha muito bem, mesmo com quilos de CGI em cima) e a direção de arte é fantástica, misturando bastante do futurismo antiquado dos livros pra tela. O problema é que Stanton brinca com a narrativa de modo porco, cria uma metalinguagem no meio que é bastante gratuita e torna a história…

• Klep

★★★½ Rewatched by Klep 01 Feb, 2016 2

In the spring of 2012 there was going to be a movie coming out. An effects blockbuster. Something of a sci-fi fantasy based on a long-standing property with a devoted following. It would hit theaters like a train and go on to become one of the most successful films of all time. That movie was The Avengers, and we are not talking about it today. No, we are talking about the other effects-based sci-fi fantasy blockbuster based on a long-standing…

• Paulo Godchalk

★★½ Watched by Paulo Godchalk 02 Feb, 2016

John Carter is a dumb film, but it's not without its charms. For one, I kind of love that super fast lizard-dog thing -- and the cartoony action, especially John Carter's unexplained ability to leap hundreds of feet, is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the goofy action is tempered by a convoluted premise, which is dryly conveyed through expository dialogue: typically one character very seriously explaining something important to the uninitiated (and the audience).

I really think that if there…

• Samira Ahmed

★★★★ Watched by Samira Ahmed 31 Jan, 2016 2

Made as if Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Prince of Persia, the original Planet of the Apes & a dozen 80s fantasy films never had been. Has the confidence of its own loyalty to the books. Didn't Carl Sagan have a poster of John Carter of Mars on his door at Cornell? The framing device really worked at the climax - and the time travel/rip van winkle and especially the flashbacks to his return home after the Civil War were as melancholy…

• Caleb Steele

★★ Rewatched by Caleb Steele 01 Feb, 2016

Spluh, as if!

• jto111

★★½ Added by jto111

An average film, which was given a real kicking from the critics.