• phil haigh

★½ Watched by phil haigh 05 Jul, 2015

Not easy to turn Burroughs's pulp into slush.

• Anton Bitel

Added by Anton Bitel

First published by movieScope

Accidentally transported to Mars, broken Confederate general John Carter (Taylor Kitsch) acquires miraculous powers, rediscovers his own humanity, saves others and transcends death itself  - yet despite this (and the hero’s messianic initials), the story comes less from the Big Book than from Edgar Rice Burroughs’ 1912 proto-SF serial novel Princess of Mars (aka Under the Moons of Mars), and subverts its own Jesus plotting with the decidedly sham cult of ‘Issus’.

Eye-popping creature effects and…

• Alberto Farina

★★★ Watched by Alberto Farina 30 Jun, 2015

Indomitable Confederate captain gets transported from the post-Civil War America to Mars and he gets involved in a major fight for power. Disney's apparent gamble to adapt Edgar Rice Burroughs 11-books saga into the next "Star Wars" has a lot going for it - budget, eyepopping visuals and a tangible effort to give its simplistic, 1910's adventures a modern twist. Unfortunately, muddled narration, unfocused characters (and an awkward flash-back structure that only pays off in the final sequences) rarely allow any real entertainment.

• eschwa22

★★★ Added by eschwa22

6/10: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆

"A rare gem in the adventure genre."

• Statler_Waldorf

★★½ Rewatched by Statler_Waldorf 25 Jun, 2015

Yeah, it's still not really that great. And yeah, I still kind of love it anyway.

• beonyi

★★½ Watched by beonyi 19 Jun, 2015

Es como un bolsa de patatillas, la abres y esta medio vacía

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 14 Jun, 2015

SUPER Underrated. Its not the greatest film ever, but this easily satisfies my desires for a sci-fi film

• kurazaybo

★★★½ Watched by kurazaybo 09 Jun, 2015 2

Un buen ejemplo de como hacer una película épica con muchos elementos fantásticos. El mundo de John Carter tiene ya más de un siglo de existencia y aunque puede decirse que comenzó como ciencia ficción esa etiqueta francamente ya no le queda. Lo maravilloso es que no importa cuando tienes un mundo tan rico y tanta acción.

John Carter es un militar que, durante la guerra civil norteamericana, por casualidad es transportado al planeta Marte. En este universo Marte es…

• Colin

★★★★ Watched by Colin 07 Jun, 2015

yo this is actually great

• Bradley

★★½ Watched by Bradley 06 Jun, 2015

John Carter is one of Disney's growing number of failed attempts to replicate the incredible success of Pirates of the Caribbean. I didn't actually hear about this film until the fact that it was a box-office bomb had been widely publicised and I hadn't heard of the source books either, but it seemed interesting so I gave it a shot.

It's directed by Andrew Stanton, a Pixar veteran, which seems like an odd choice. I felt he did a fairly…

• PuRock

★★★ Watched by PuRock 23 Nov, 2012

Random Retro Review
    Time since viewing:
    2 years, 6 months, 13 days

Looking back, John Carter definitely got a bad rap. But that comes with the territory when you spend an exorbitant amount of money and the film doesn't completely awe the world.

It was adventurous, with good VFX. It played in completely new worlds. Most importantly, it was quite entertaining. Unfortunately, those worlds were unfamiliar to the general public, the marketing of the film was bad, and Taylor Kitsch…

• Diz Hooper

★★★★ Watched by Diz Hooper 05 Jun, 2015

It seems that I enjoyed this more than most people did. I do agree that the movie could have been a little shorter with some of the politics of Mars cut out. However, I really liked the imaginative visuals and designs in this film. It's a good science fantasy film that just didn't a chance with the way it was marketed.