• Ryan

★★★½ Watched by Ryan 21 Jul, 2014

I think with another pass on the script to shorten the first act, tighten up the events that immediately follow, and work on character (particular the eponymous gentleman), this could have been a pretty great movie. But for what it is, it's not bad. Very enjoyable. I'd love to see Andrew Stanton work on more live-action, but with a better script and less of a free-for-all budget.

PS: love the music.

• RJ Myato

★★ Added by RJ Myato

This isn't particularly good, but its status as a megaflop is definitely based more on its bland title and lack of big names than any esspecially terrible quality. The effects and action are pretty cool actually. More tha anything I think this is just not the type of fantasy/genre movie people were into at the time it came out.

• Alexander Robinson

Added by Alexander Robinson

The story is non original, the characters are stupid and pointless, the visuals blend in too much with the bland Mars landscape and make them look AWFUL. In conclusion this film needs to be avoided like a disease. 2/10

• moviedave

★★★★★ Rewatched by moviedave 14 Jul, 2014

As a fan of pulp fiction writers, I have read and enjoyed most of E.R.B. books, including the Barsoom books.

John Carter (A princess of Mars) bluray. still holds my attention, I just love this movie.

I went to the cinema to see it in 3D. Now I am not a big fan of the 3D gimmick, most of the time it is there to purely sell a sub standard movie, the 3D effect is usually unnoticeable and not used…

• Ian Buckwalter

★★ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 06 Mar, 2012

• Richard Homer

★★½ Watched by Richard Homer 29 Jun, 2014

I like that they made Dejah Thoris more than just a damsel in distress. But I feel like they tried to make the story more than it is, make it more complex than it is, and made a bit of a mess of it. A shame.

• Joe Hastings

★★★ Added by Joe Hastings 2

After all the reviews and bad press this film had one awful reputation as a big budget box office bomb. Actually it wasn't that bad.

With Andrew Stanton in the director's chair I was more than willing to give it a shot. WALL-E was a great animation and I hoped he could carry his talents into live action. Maybe he should stick to animations for a while. Now it wasn't awful or a masterpiece really as it ends up somewhere…

• Justin

★★★½ Rewatched by Justin 25 Jun, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Chris Harvey

★★★ Watched by Chris Harvey 25 Jun, 2014

For everything this film gets right it gets just as much wrong. There was such potential for a clean and clear narrative and it was lost under the mess of the plot. There is a good film somewhere in the near 3 hour runtime.

• Garrett Irwin

★★ Watched by Garrett Irwin 09 Mar, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★ Watched by Grant Fitzgerald 22 Jun, 2014

EVERYONE IS WRONG!!! John Carter is one of the best Sci-fi fantasy adventure films made in the last 10 years. It doesn't sit as highly as something like Avatar, a movie I think is a marvelous entertainment, though many take the opposite stance on my opinion. John Carter is a type a film I would have adored as a kid, back when I first saw star wars. It is an great mix of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Star Trek…

• Alexson Philipiah

★★★ Added by Alexson Philipiah

Despite some odd special effects during the jumping/floating scenes, everything else in this movie is pretty great to look at. The attention to detail is fantastic. The story is incredibly familiar and yet it's also totally something I've never seen before. If anything, it's like a spin off StarWars film focusing on Anakin's homeland. The direction is very confident at times and there is this feeling that I am watching something very iconic and yet the lack of development on…