• RezaSKhan

★★★★ Watched by RezaSKhan 05 Feb, 2015

Juste avant la nuit / Just Before Nightfall (Claude Chabrol, 1971) 8/10

A man (Michel Bouquet) strangles his lover who was the wife of his best friend (François Périer), feels terrible guilt and on the verge of a nervous breakdown confesses the affair and murder to both his wife (Stéphane Audran) and his friend. Both understand, forgive and forbid him from going to the police to give himself up. Chabrol uses a human act to delve into the psychology of…

• Lanny

★★★½ Watched by Lanny 09 Aug, 2015

arid, cold, compelling

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

A fascinating Claude Chabrol film, much more subtle in its effects than most of his work of this period (1971). Michel Bouquet is a model middle-class family man who kills his mistress—the wife of his best friend—in a fit of perverse sexual excitement. But neither Bouquet's wife (Stephane Audran, of course) nor his friend (Francois Perier) will allow him the self-indulgence of punishment. Chabrol adds another layer of irony through his careful use of consciously artificial tracking shots, which break the narrative at precisely determined points. Recommended.

• Wilson

★★★★ Watched by Wilson 13 Mar, 2015

Juste Avant La Nuit is an austere film about moral complexity that reminded me of the serious strand of the Woody Allen film Crimes and Misdemeanours; also it was shot in the way that reminded of Interiors, by Allen. It is a lot less playful in its construction and execution than the previous Claude Chabrol films I have watched recently, but it is exacting and meticulous. There is not a scene wasted, not a shot superfluous. A tense, literate and intelligent drama from a filmmaker, in Chabrol, at the very height of his powers. Murder has never been so ambivalent.

• Raúl Cornejo

★★★★ Watched by Raúl Cornejo 06 Nov, 2014

Navidad, culpa y láudano

• Rod Sedgwick

★★★★½ Watched by Rod Sedgwick 24 Apr, 2014 2

"Come and play . . . or I'll make you pay!"

Claude Chabrol continues to impress me with his meditative thrillers that are subtly Hitchcockian, but less sensationalist than what the 'master of suspense' offered us over his time, in fact I only know of Chabrol due to discovery, rather than by household name.

Without divulging the plot too much for the uninitiated, I will say only that it focuses on heavy moral concerns that see the film drift through…

• Aditya Gokhale

★★★★★ Watched by Aditya Gokhale 24 Apr, 2014

Claude Chabrol's "Just Before Nightfall" ("Juste Avant la Nuit") (1971) is one of those rare films that boasts of writing so intelligent, it forces you think, and in the process, re-think and question the principles you live by, and puts your own morals to the test!

Although built on familiar themes of infidelity and murder, Chabrol's story is a very fascinating meditation on profound guilt and remorse. With his grip firm on a narrative that is anything but predictable, Chabrol…

• paulsell

★★★★½ Added by paulsell

Chabrol was a master of psychological tension. After Le Boucher and La Rupture both of which I also love, this one continues a brilliant run.

• teamzizzou

★★★★ Watched by teamzizzou 25 Feb, 2014

Another top draw film from Chabrol.

• Peter Patnaik

★★★½ Watched by Peter Patnaik 06 Aug, 2013

A study of what happens when the film ends and the murder is free to return to his modern home and bourgeois strife. Charbol is a little on the nose here, but it's an enjoyable trip.

• tomas

★★★★★ Added by tomas

To watch Charles Masson (Michel Bouquet) descend to a place of near madness is such a nerve wracking experience. Such an outstanding film by THE master of suspense.