• Rodney Sedgwick

★★★★½ Watched by Rodney Sedgwick 24 Apr, 2014 2

"Come and play . . . or I'll make you pay!"

Claude Chabrol continues to impress me with his meditative thrillers that are subtly Hitchcockian, but less sensationalist than what the 'master of suspense' offered us over his time, in fact I only know of Chabrol due to discovery, rather than by household name.

Without divulging the plot too much for the uninitiated, I will say only that it focuses on heavy moral concerns that see the film drift through…

• Aditya Gokhale

★★★★★ Added by Aditya Gokhale

Claude Chabrol's "Just Before Nightfall" ("Juste Avant la Nuit") (1971) is one of those rare films that boasts of writing so intelligent, it forces you think, and in the process, re-think and question the principles you live by, and puts your own morals to the test!

Although built on familiar themes of infidelity and murder, Chabrol's story is a very fascinating meditation on profound guilt and remorse. With his grip firm on a narrative that is anything but predictable, Chabrol…

• paulsell

★★★★½ Added by paulsell

Chabrol was a master of psychological tension. After Le Boucher and La Rupture both of which I also love, this one continues a brilliant run.

• Peter Patnaik

★★★½ Watched by Peter Patnaik 06 Aug, 2013

A study of what happens when the film ends and the murder is free to return to his modern home and bourgeois strife. Charbol is a little on the nose here, but it's an enjoyable trip.

• tomas

★★★★★ Added by tomas

To watch Charles Masson (Michel Bouquet) descend to a place of near madness is such a nerve wracking experience. Such an outstanding film by THE master of suspense.