• Sir. Dale Hutchinson (Real Name, Fake Title): Movie Opinionist Extraordinaire
  • Miles Hardman

★★½ Watched by Miles Hardman 30 Nov, 2014

There's a joke here about having to live through the mistake that is K-PAX over and over, forever. In truth, it's not that bad. Kevin Spacey plays Kevin Spacey (and then some), but Jeff Bridges is one of the few stars of the show alongside composer Edward Shearmur who does a solid job with the score. The problem is that the film is hugely imposing yet never literate enough to justify the stringency of its various messages. And it's nowhere near as good as its two close relatives: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Under The Skin (or The Man Who Fell To Earth).

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Wooldridge 19 Oct, 2005

This is a finely crafted drama that in a lot of ways rests solely on the performance of Kevin Spacey, and he is of course up to the task. It doesn't hurt to have a co-lead in Jeff Bridges, an actor I never get tired of watching. The two are predictably brilliant in the confined spaces of the narrative, and the story fascinating as it opens up. Is this patient 'K-Pax' a complete nutter, or is he really a being from outer space? In case the reader hasn't seen this film yet, I won't reveal the answer here. It's a solid adaptation from Ian Softley.

• Jacob C-S

★★★ Watched by Jacob C-S 27 Nov, 2014

An interesting film about a man who claims to be from another planet. It does feel a bit too long and it doesn't utilise the engaging concept to its full extent.
    However, Kevin Spacey breathes life into his role and the ambiguous ending is thought provoking.

• Cameron Morewood

Watched by Cameron Morewood 12 Nov, 2014 2

Watched this for my psych class, and, um, wow... not good.

I was under the impression that a lot of people liked this movie, and I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is - why? For the first hour or so, K-PAX is fine. Nothing about the film is particularly gripping or intriguing, but Spacey kept me at least mildly entertained. Of course the depiction of mental illness within the other characters is unsavory to say…

• Thomas Ballard

★★★★★ Watched by Thomas Ballard 03 Nov, 2014

100th film I've rated on letterboxd and Oh my, what a fantastic movie it was. A curious movie that makes you think and does not fail to entertain, with amazing performances from Jeff Bridges, although Kevin Spacey steals the show in every scene. A fantastic movie that I absolutely loved.

• DrewVesu

★★★ Added by DrewVesu

this film starts so well, but ends up ruining a great premise, with a random murder plot. ugh, almost good.

• jimmyjone

★★★ Added by jimmyjone

Kevin Spacey plays this guy who's all like "I'm so super cool and the planet I come from is so much cooler than Earth. You don't even know how cool it is. And how cool I am, because I'm from there." He wears sunglasses to really cement in your mind how much of a cool guy he is. But then you find out that maybe he really is human, but maybe he's not, ooh wow mystery. Jeff Bridges is really…

• Lee Saunders

★★★ Rewatched by Lee Saunders 04 Sep, 2014

Starts out well enough, but seem to dip in the middle when Prote is strangely susceptible to hypnotism, yet huge doses of mind bending drugs do nothing what so ever!
    We also find that "Seeing" in ultraviolet light is quickly put on the back burner, and disregarded.
    In reality this would obviously mean Prote IS in fact an alien!
    So, although muddled at times, the good parts are good but the dated parts are awful!
    Could've been better all round

• Jude Seymour

Watched by Jude Seymour 26 Oct, 2001

Sure I can tell you that today I listened to the Firewater album and saw
    "K-Pax," but these are just sorted facts. Facts that in 60 years I can’t tell my grandkids. You think they’ll care that I saw "K-Pax" on October 26th? Do you think "K-Pax" will even be around in 60 years? (I saw it, trust me it won’t).

• Charlie Derry

★★ Watched by Charlie Derry 03 Jun, 2014

I've read reviews of this film describing it as "smart" and commenting that the viewer was "engrossed". I had to laugh. Were they being serious? Spacey and Bridges are both good, admittedly, but it just felt so mediocre. I was interested at times, but it never lived up to anything.

• Lobezno Estepario

★★ Watched by Lobezno Estepario 08 May, 2014

La forma de contarlo es demasiado chorra para tomarla en serio, porque no puedo con ciencia ficción sobre extraterrestres que vienen a aleccionarnos desde su supuesta superioridad moral y menos aún con los dramas sentimentaloides carentes de sutileza. Al menos Spacey y Bridges tienen química cuando comparten escena.