• Louis Gur

★★★★★ Watched by Louis Gur 01 Sep, 2015

The world is an amazing place. And if you want to see it as a whole, then go watch Koyaanisqatsi. Absolutely marvelous documentary that had me completely blown away by beautiful images. I will never look at the world the same again.

• Adam Cloutier

★★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Cloutier 30 Aug, 2015

This is always incredibly hypnotizing which is one of the best qualities a film can have. It's one that makes me feel that watching a film is the highest form of consciousness for me in that there is nothing more engaging or meaningful than it. I find it hard to disagree with anything in the film but regardless of agreeing with it Reggio presents his ideas concisely and with a lot of weight.

• Alex

★★★★½ Watched by Alex 22 Aug, 2015

Koyaanisqatsi - life out of balance.

What does the unflickering eye of the camera seem to say in Koyaanisqatsi as it flits between shots that span the entire globe, from the relics of the beginnings of human existence to the new highs of destruction wrought in the past century.

For most of the film, the camera seems to be the impartial observer, a sort of choice that found its beginnings in the Soviet film, Man with a Movie Camera. There…

• Adam Cloutier

★★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Cloutier 25 Aug, 2015

There's no need for dialogue because the juxtaposition of each image to another (i.e. the editing) and the images to the score communicate what Reggio wants to say. The antepenultimate shot and the text at the end of the film are two of the most moving things I've felt in all of cinema.

• Ryan Swen

★★★★★ Watched by Ryan Swen 23 Aug, 2015

I don't think I've seen a film where its quality improved so drastically in its second half. The first half, focusing mostly on the natural and impersonal world, while interesting, does tend to drag a little, but the second half, focusing on humans and technology, is a revelation. Reggio, Fricke, and Glass all put out work that comes together extremely well, with the editing perfectly fitting Glass's transcendent, gorgeous score. The time-lapse photography is perfectly utilized in tandem with excellent…

• Joachim Andersson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 23 Aug, 2015

I popped in the Arrow bluray just to check the quality and my two year old daughter was totally entranced by the hypnotic imagery, soon falling asleep in her mothers lap. That's the power of Koyaanisqatsi.

Edit: When she woke up she immediately started talking about airplanes and gave me the remote so that I could turn on the movie again.

• Ben Miranda

★★★★★ Watched by Ben Miranda 20 Aug, 2015

To try to put a film as purely visual as Koyaanisqatsi into words is an incredibly difficult task. This film exists on it's own plain of existence, and within it's own universe, conforming to neither documentary or narrative film, but rather it's own, borderline spiritual and meditative experience wholly unlike any other.

A complex visual tapestry of imagery tied together with possibly one of the greatest film scores ever written, Koyaanisqatsi simply presents the imagery without narrative or prior prejudice,…

• SilentDawn

★★★★ Watched by SilentDawn 19 Aug, 2015 5

80/100

Koyaanisqatsi, even with its entrancing glances on the world and those who wander within it, has a purer goal than hammering home a message or focusing on a larger objective. Godfrey's Reggio's film flows like a blank slate of visual/aural stimulus, provoking each viewer in a profoundly individualized way, and in return, Koyaanisqatsi molds into whatever the viewer is seeking. While I can't say that I was as impressed with this film as I was with Baraka, Reggio's grand…

• CartoonSA

★★★★ Added by CartoonSA

You have to be in the right mood to fully appreciate this one.

• Dave Eves

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dave Eves 15 Aug, 2015

A film that can mean something different to the viewer every time you watch it. The only film (series) that exists that relies fully on images and theme. No characters, no plot, practically wordless, yet fully 100% mesmerizing.

• Hugo César García

★★★★★ Watched by Hugo César García 08 Aug, 2015

Like life itself, the film contorts through moments of beauty, destruction, and human awkwardness. A visual symphony that's entirely in sync with what we're seeing and hearing. And a technical marvel that in an extended rhythmic sequence about the daily activities of humans and our automated lives (not too dissimilar to that of ants), left me in an emotional high thanks to its groundbreaking use of editing. The film also left me thinking about Kubrick and his use of camera…

• vixva

★★★★★ Watched by vixva 10 Aug, 2015

One of the most beautiful movies recently seen, will have to go for other two parts from this trilogy. Musical and visual pleasure that blends into remarkable experience.