• Daryl Purdie

★★★★★ Added by Daryl Purdie

Turn off lights, hook up to a big screen, turn off the phone, watch, concentrate, enjoy.

The best non-film-film I can think of. (Right now anyway)

• fuguette

★★★★½ Watched by fuguette 12 Apr, 2012

Stunning. No other film makes me feel more like an extraterrestrial observing human culture. All the terror and beauty of consumptive, manic modern life.

• Alexandra

★★★★★ Watched by Alexandra 20 Aug, 2014

Perfect.

• Nick C.

★★★★★ Added by Nick C.

Koyaanisqatsi is one of the most purely cinematic films ever made. To see this film on a big screen would be a dream come true for me. Koyaanisqatsi is a film that everyone should experience at least once. It's an experience that makes you feel like you are seeing the world for the very first time. It is truly unforgettable.

• Ian W. Hill

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian W. Hill 16 Aug, 2014

Good for a loud background life-out-of-balance kind of evening.

• Clint Cullum

★★★★★ Rewatched by Clint Cullum 10 Aug, 2014 1

Though largely didactic in nature, Godfrey Reggio's use of montage and imagery makes this one of the few films of its ilk to transcend its art-house pretensions and become a genuinely ruminative work of art and a startling vision of man on the precipice of the 21st century. The notion of technology replacing the natural world as the host of life is even more true now than in 1983.

• Elijah Davidson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Elijah Davidson 11 Aug, 2014

Do you think the Oscar Meyer wieners comprehend the process of their becoming?

This would make a great triple bill with Playtime and The Lone Ranger.

• Colin Rudge

★★★★ Rewatched by Colin Rudge 30 Jul, 2014

A wonderful film full of some of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. However I have difficulties with some of Godfrey Reggio and Ron Fricke's works, mostly for the way that most critics and audiences (and filmmakers who have plundered this film for visual techniques over the decades) seem to approach these non-narrative works for their aesthetic qualities (which I did in the first sentence!) but often ignore the polemic qualities of the way the images are chosen,…

• Andrew Swafford

Added by Andrew Swafford

Large scale cinema, in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Tree of Life, condensed, hardened, and crystallized to its purest form. Now, like most of my fellow human beings, I must say I prefer the human-centric character narratives of the Kubrick and Malick films I just mentioned, but Koyaanisqatsi is a singular experience that is completely worthwhile. To make another comparison, Koyaanisqatsi is the thematic subtext of The Matrix out in plain sight--if you've ever entertained the…

• Dustin Baker

★★★★ Watched by Dustin Baker 27 Jul, 2014

After a few rounds of garbage that left me not feeling like watching anything at all, I decided to throw something on that could be non-committal but also out of the box to grab my attention again. It worked. The point of the movie isn't anything new (Guess what? We be fucking things up, yo), but it delivers its message in fine form, playing beautiful images and music for you while letting you come to natural conclusions. Not being beat over the head with the message was a refreshing feeling in this day of horseshit viral news articles being shoved in your face everywhere.

• Steve Rogers

★★★★★ Watched by Steve Rogers 23 Jul, 2014

I love Philip Glass and this is Philip's first film sound track. It's exhilarating and dynamic, amazing and tragic, and certainly very non-conventional. The structure of the movie crests at the 1:10 mark. Amazing piece.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

No plot, dialogue,
    But a treatise on our world.
    It's mesmerizing.