• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

No plot, dialogue,
    But a treatise on our world.
    It's mesmerizing.

• Christopher Bowes

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Bowes 24 Jun, 2014

You know you're doing your job when every shot you took to question technology and commerce has been ripped off by technology and commerce. These were my five favorite images:

1. The first time the time-lapse photography combines with a moving camera, as Reggio and Fricke pan across tops of buildings and tail-light ribbons race the opposite way.
    2. The longest stationary shot, a United Airways jet carving through its own fumy haze.
    3. The brushed stainless steel of a…

• Nick Ondras

★★★★★ Watched by Nick Ondras 17 Jun, 2014

100/100

"Koyaanisqatsi...Koyaanisqatsi..."

= life.

Didn't need the title card at the end with the dictionary definition of its namesake, followed by translations of the Hopi prophesies chanted throughout the film. I mean, I was convinced I was watching a perfect movie up until that point, which felt like a totally hammer-headed addition tacked onto an otherwise majestically ambiguous case of abstract art house subversion.

...but while I wouldn't call that nitpicking necessarily, it's still so arbitrary in the grand scheme…

• Luke Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Luke Ryan 14 May, 2014

Blew me away. Utterly mesmerising, transfixing, hypnotic and just plain awesome. I love great composition and this is a masterclass in it. What I loved the most was how many different ways you can interpret the film. Is it an enviromental film? Is it a slight on mankind? Is it a commentary on commercialisation and consumersim? Maybe a simple look at man versus nature? Or even technology and how it has become us? I think it's all of those things…

View

• Juan Solo (Fishing with Juan)

★★★★ Watched by Juan Solo (Fishing with Juan) 08 Jun, 2014 4

It wouldn't be fair to call Koyaanisqatsi a film - its an experience.
    A film that captures the essence of a world in turmoil, on the run from a growing fear of what tomorrow may bring. There is no dialog, no conventional plot, no key figures, and no story arch. Rather, the camera creates a character in itself - it chooses the earth's landscape as it's prime specimen and captures it in such a way that personifies it as an…

• Mufasa

★★★ Added by Mufasa

Unique, stimulating, and very relevant.

• Pierre-Louis Valcourt

Watched by Pierre-Louis Valcourt 01 Jun, 2014

Obviously good, but hard to measure how much. As documentary, it's not much, but I always liked how vague of a term "documentary" was. What this should be looked at as is a music show, and it truly is great that way. Think you're too good to like a film merely for its visuals? Then come for its marriage with sound which already tells a story so much better detailed than that Spider Man that you think is sooo non-superficial.

• TJ Duane

★★★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 29 May, 2014

A tone poem about the American landscape--nature meets technology.

The score and cinematography are next-level.

This has to be seen to be believed.

• Ian Schultz
  • Paul Lister

★★★★ Watched by Paul Lister 27 May, 2014

Really phenomenal score by Phillip Glass. The way in which it marries with the images is truly wonderful. The films early images are all natural, rock formations, clouds gathering and dispersing. It almost feels foreboding in a sense. Then the music turns more sinister, man enters the scene. Big machinery, black smoke engulfing everything, war and destruction take over. But there is also life and progression and construction. The perspective of nature changes with man made objects. The reflections of the clouds in the sky from the skyscrapers. There is just so many powerful moments but I cannot but together enough cohesive thoughts on it yet.

• Muhammad Yasser

★★★½ Watched by Muhammad Yasser 27 May, 2014

1.5 for Philip Glass.

• Ben (Film Intel)

★★★ Watched by Ben (Film Intel) 19 May, 2014

"Photographically superb, regularly giving Reggio's work the feeling of an art installation rather than a feature film. Inseparable from the beautiful camerawork is Glass' soundtracks for the two films. Koyaanisqatsi's music is a blend of haunting Gregorian style chanting and busy synthesised melodies, creating a chilling meeting of the ancient and the modern". Full review at Film Intel