• dx

★★★★½ Added by dx

This film is a pure cinematic experience. It is able to say so much without actually saying anything at all. It inspires simultaneous wonder and terror. The film is full of mesmerizing evocative imagery, as the camera tells the story with great elegance and detail. This film demonstrates the power and beauty of cinematography, from the exhilarating shots of the camera zooming across landscapes and highways to the haunting scene of what would appear to be phantoms of people slipping…

• adri0

★★★★½ Watched by adri0 28 Apr, 2016

I've never thought a film without narrator, characters, speeches or subtitles could be much entertaining, let alone meaningful. Koyaanisqatsi is a sequence of carefully chosen and placed footages of mudane happenings along with a mind blowing soundtrack. It's like a video clip of a progressive symphony of 1h20min.

It's very hard to explain with words. It just made me reflect how humanity is just a nature manifestation, despite of the special meaning we give to it due to the fact that all of are humans.

• Reece Roberts

★★★★★ Watched by Reece Roberts 28 Apr, 2016

Breathtaking.
    When you come to think about it. Human beings are no worse than the sausages and Twinkies (?), passing through the big factory of life, seemingly unaware of the perils of the universe until it's penultimate end.
    It's a film, open to interpretation of cause with no dialog no coherent structure or plot it's very much a collection of edited images, trying to give a sense of scope to the way the world was seen through the eyes of…

• Quinn Of Spades

★★★★ Watched by Quinn Of Spades 26 Apr, 2016

KOOOOYAAAANISQAAAATSIIIII
    *BUM BUM BUM*

• Mike D'Angelo

★★★★ Rewatched by Mike D'Angelo 30 Mar, 2012

73/100

[Originally written on my blog.]

Wow, Man The Despoiler shows up way earlier than I'd remembered—only 18 minutes in. I'd thought the nature-to-civilization ratio was more or less 1:1. Honestly, though, I can't say I much care what environmental/ecological/Hopi-ass thesis this film is trying to push, as the footage is so mesmerizing that it renders ideology irrelevant. Even if you're the sort of person who's happiest alone in the wilderness, you can't deny that the 20-minute time-lapse aria showcasing…

• Sillie

★★★★½ Watched by Sillie 22 Apr, 2016

Very original & a bit challenging, but the message is deep & powerful. A bit dated (it has been ripped of so many times since its airing…) but the score & cinematography/photography are still really great.

• Lucas Hill-Paul

★★★★½ Watched by Lucas Hill-Paul 20 Apr, 2016 1

I want this played in my house on a loop.

• Amber M

★★★★½ Rewatched by Amber M 16 Apr, 2016

Just as enthralling as it was the first time I watched it over ten years ago. The film holds up.

Dat Kuleshov Effect.

• MandelBroSet

★★★★★ Watched by MandelBroSet 16 Apr, 2016 1

Film #14 of the Scavenger Hunt #13 hosted by PleinSoleil
    Item 27 - An Avant-Garde film.

The opening shots of Koyaanisqatsi focus on natural imagery. The flow of water, clouds, vast canyons, etc. Then shifts its focus to imagery more man-made, industrial.

This could be seen as the interplay between the man-made and the natural and the relationship we share with the earth. I saw it more as an argument for the man-made being an extension of the natural.

The…

• Dan

★★★★★ Watched by Dan 12 Apr, 2016

Damn

• jokainii

★★★★ Watched by jokainii 10 Apr, 2016

Like a more modern version of Man with a Movie Camera, but with a much less glamorous view of humanity. Grander in scale, and equally as impactful.

• Dead Moon Night

★★★★★ Watched by Dead Moon Night 10 Apr, 2016 3

ko.yaa.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life out of balance. 4. life disintegrating. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

There is something beautiful in everything. Koyaanisqatsi (not an easy title to remember) is more than just a movie. It's a fascinating experience, a journey for your eyes and ears. No dialogue or narration, only breathtaking images and fantastic music. Koyaanisqatsi needs to be experienced on bluray!