• Lawrence Garcia

★★★★½ Watched by Lawrence Garcia 19 Nov, 2014

82/100

Went in with a bit of trepidation, given that Reggio's masterpiece is always described as experimental—which people often use as shorthand for an ambitious failure. Was expecting to admire the film, but not much more. Those preemptive reactions proved unfounded; Koyaanisqatsi just floored me.

Koyaanisqatsi plays out like something a higher life form or divine being would create to document the existence of human life—and all its attendant turmoil, messiness and complexity. It's an alien perspective that is both…

• Arik Devens

★★★★★ Watched by Arik Devens 15 Nov, 2014

An absolutely stunning visual achievement that’s also one of the most inspiring documentaries I’ve ever seen. Everyone should see this film at least once.

Well then, that was intense. Intense in a visual sense, this film is unbelievably beautiful, and also intense from a conceptual sense. Like the best video at a Godspeed You! Black Emperor concert ever. I’ve rarely seen a film that was this visually stimulating, while also remaining so unbelievably thought-provoking. This isn’t a film that I…

• Victor Krause

Watched by Victor Krause 13 Nov, 2014

So... I fell asleep during this. Which is why I have not included a rating.

I will say this: I enjoyed most of what I saw and heard. There were a lot of cool musical ideas on display. We talked about some general narrative things that could be found over the running time, but I prefer to think of it as a love letter to establishing shots. It just kinda sucked when nothing turned into a scene. It was pretty much the Too Many Cooks of establishing shots.

• Forrrestw2Rs

Watched by Forrrestw2Rs 12 Nov, 2014

Godfrey Reggio's visual poem is visually breathtaking and makes masterful use of Phillip Glass's musical talents. It's shot using a lot of slow-motion and time-lapse and invites the audience to come up with their own interpretation of the balance--or imbalance--of man and nature.

• maps9

★★★★ Added by maps9

Something about the inherent beauty of the natural world; the destructive and creative forces of mankind; the beauty, repetition, mundanity, and ingenuity of everyday life.

At its best when trying to thrill with a combination of music, images, and editing. The quick cutting and propulsive forward camera movements aided by Phillip Glass' score create some of the most memorable cinematic moments of all-time. My attention wavered during some of the slow motion scenes, where interest is completely relative to enjoyment…

• Christopher Nolan

Added by Christopher Nolan

An incredible document of how man’s greatest endeavors have unsettling consequences. Art, not propaganda, emotional, not didactic; it doesn’t tell you what to think—it tells you what to think about.

• Norma Chester

★★★★½ Watched by Norma Chester 12 Oct, 2014

Taken from the Hopi language and their prediction that decay and destruction will come from the sky,this film produced by Frances Ford Copalla,directed by Godfrey Reggio is one of a trilogy. The opening fabulous sequence,filmed by Ron Fricke,is almost primordial in atmosphere. The film progresses through innovation,invention - some used for great advantage to the world, others corrupted by greed. Desolation,despair and isolation is invoked by images of inner city tenants living in squalid homes. The solution - raise these…

• Breanna Justice

★★★★★ Watched by Breanna Justice 01 Apr, 2012

I had never heard of this film before watching it at a film screening on campus. I walked back to my dormitory in the rain and woke up thinking I dreamed this intense cinematic experience.

• kroogah

★★★★★ Watched by kroogah 02 Nov, 2014

We are technology. We are the blood coursing through its veins (those white headlights and red taillights make great shorthand for white & red blood cells) It's easy to interpret this movie as anti-technology & pro-nature, but that wasn't Godfrey Reggio's intent. The Hopi way of life is very near the opposite of the Los Angeles way of life, and Reggio was trying to give us an outsider's perspective of our own lives. I think he succeeded. Through most of the movie…

• Francisco Zambrano

★★★★★ Added by Francisco Zambrano

Lo mejor del cinéma-œil desde Man with a movie camera.

• Shaun Heenan

★★½ Watched by Shaun Heenan 25 Oct, 2014

I know, I know.

I suspect the effect is dimished somewhat by me already having seen Baraka and Samsara. I know this got there first, but that doesn't make me enjoy it more.

The score by Philip Glass has been praised endlessly, but I found it repetitive and irritating.

I could lie and pretend I enjoyed it, but what's the point of that?

• Vladimir .