• Rick Vance

Watched by Rick Vance 13 Apr, 2014

Mesmerizing and now I know where that music I hear EVERYWHERE comes from.

• Timothy85

★★★½ Watched by Timothy85 12 Apr, 2014

Few films can evoke such a response from me with only visuals and music. Koyaanisqatsi and The Man with a Movie Camera are the only two that come to mind. But, I was having difficulty with Koyaanisqatsi until near the very end, when I was finally won over by the sheer ambition of Reggio. The stunning images of Ron Fricke and the astoundingly compelling score by Phillip Glass create a vigorously experimental film. Like I said, it took me only…

• AS

★★★★ Watched by AS 12 Mar, 2014

Once in a great while you come across a film that appears to say everything there is to be said about its subject - Godfrey Reggio's masterpiece, Koyaanisqatsi, is one such film.

Reggio's genius lies in his decision to throw a conventional narrative structure and dialogue/narration out the window. The result is a film that develops its thesis entirely through images, free of the blatant didacticism which burdens so many movies. It would be a tragic mistake, however, to assume…

• Patrick Thompson

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Thompson 31 Mar, 2014

No narration and no dialogue. Just 87 minutes of amazing images of nature which transitions to what society/ technology looked like back in the early 80's. Phillip Glass's composed the film's musical score.

• ab

★★★★½ Watched by ab 25 Mar, 2014

An ethereal journey through our modern, technological world. I felt less like a viewer and more an extra-terrestrial viewing earth for the first time.
    This film really gives some perspective on our modern society. Interesting and hypnotic.

• James Christopher Lawrence

★★★★★ Watched by James Christopher Lawrence 23 Mar, 2014

Having not seen this in about 10 years the Criterion blu ray was like watching a different film. Absolute stunning

• MasterRick

★★★★★ Watched by MasterRick 17 Aug, 2013

I loved this. The film takes the form of a visual tone poem, assembling footage of different parts of the United States against music, eschewing any real narrative for a series of feelings and moods. The coda issues a warning of sorts against our reliance on technology and its effect on nature, but I found the film to feel anything but ominous. The images of the landscapes are unsurprisingly beautiful, but so are the cityscapes and even the mundane activities…

• Albert Muller

★★★★★ Rewatched by Albert Muller 16 Mar, 2014

People like to say "like nothing you've ever SEEN before!" and be hyperbolic when it's not really warranted.

In this case, it's probably safe to say that you've never seen a movie like this before. No plot. No narrative. No characters. Just the story, told in images and music, of the beauty inherent in our world and how we seem compelled to establish our dominance over it.

The title can be loosely translated as "crazy life" and it's pretty apt.…

• RagingTaxiDriver

★★★★ Watched by RagingTaxiDriver 15 Mar, 2014

It's only proper that a film without words can leave me without the words to describe it's beauty.

I tip my hat to you, AS, for miraculously finding words to write your review

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Gaertner 10 Mar, 2014 3

Godfrey Reggio's "Koyaanisqatsi" was perhaps the most famous and widely seen avant-garde film of the 1980's. Every mom and pop video store seemed to have a copy of the film proudly displayed in their documentary section. The success of the film can be attributed to Ron Fricke's stunning and innovative photography and Phillip Glass' haunting score.

• Martin Antrobus

★★★★★ Rewatched by Martin Antrobus 09 Mar, 2014

So much love for the 'The Grid' section: the editing and score build up to something incredibly ecstatic by it's end.

• Steven Flores

Rewatched by Steven Flores 24 Feb, 2014

One of the most groundbreaking films ever made in the form of non-narrative cinema that features dazzling images from cinematographer Ron Fricke as well as an unforgettable score from Philip Glass. A must-see for any film buff who wants to explore documentaries in all sorts of style.