★★★★★ Rewatched by Eric Cloutier 01 Jul, 2015

Film #4 of my Scavenger Hunt #3 Challenge
    Task #15: An avant-garde film
    letterboxd.com/grany/list/scavenger-hunt-3/
    ___________________________________________________________________

Does dialogue-free visual poetry sound avant-garde enough for you? I had always wondered whether any film would follow in the footsteps of Dziga Vertovs “Man With A Movie Camera” in trying to use image composition as the sole way of telling a story. It took about half a century, but here we are. Of course times are different now, and some of the footage,…

• Adam Cloutier

★★★★★ Watched by Adam Cloutier 30 Jun, 2015

Frankly, this is why film was made. 10/10.

• zabrina

★★★★½ Watched by zabrina 19 Jun, 2015

15. of Scavenger Hunt #3
    15. An Avante-Garde Film!

Is it a film? A documentary? A visual poem? Either way, this creation by Godfrey Reggio proves a masterful experiment and collaboration.

Reggio's creation is evocative, compelling and utterly overwhelming. Words can't properly describe the emotion that it captures and exudes. Hypnotic visuals and a magnificent soundtrack present what is essentially a montage of the world.

Despite it's apparent purpose as a form of critique, given in the nature of the…

★★★★★ Rewatched by Eric Cloutier 28 Jun, 2015

AGAIN. AGAIN. AGAIN.

• matwithahat

★★★★½ Watched by matwithahat 24 Jun, 2015

I don't know what I just watched but it was awe inspiring. The visuals are captivating but the true stand out is the hypnotic score by Philip glass.

Here's what I think I just saw:
    We start with a dessert barren except for some birds then from the seas comes mankind who destroys. Mankind creates more and more destruction as he grows. Eventually they find a balanced state, but people become bored and isolated as things become more and more crowded. Eventually mankind escapes to space where we become but a memory on earth.

• zabrina

★★★★½ Watched by zabrina 19 Jun, 2015

Holy fucking tits. What an experience. Wow. Totally loved it, but at the same time I was filled with a constant sense of dread that was not only confusing but almost incited a panic attack.

Will properly review later.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Eric Cloutier 14 Jun, 2015

Philip Glass. Documentaries. The other things and peoples.

• Franco

★★★★½ Watched by Franco 09 Jun, 2015

I would have loved to see this in theaters. Since this came out I've seen countless time-lapse photography and also this films' DP Fricke's other two seminal films, Baraka and Samsara.

Koyaanisqatsi is still very relevant today and prescient as all get out. The films just shows instead of preaches about the world we live in and the direction we have irrevocably been on for quite some time. We are technology.

The images and the score emulsify beautifully. You can…

• link_gorro

★★★★★ Rewatched by link_gorro 04 Jun, 2015 3

• Quizrama

Watched by Quizrama 22 May, 2015

Summing up mankind through images that move either too quickly or too slowly, but rarely at a normal speed, this cinematic triumph is simply a feast for the eyes! Thank goodness people have learned to walk at a reasonable pace since 1982!

• Alex Valdés

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Valdés 17 May, 2015

This movie is so cool. It strips you of your self-awareness and forces you to observe humanity from the perspective of an outsider. It's like a human zoo. It tells a kind of crescendoing story about colonization with only its hypnotic music and visuals and entirely without dialogue.