• Zach Stetson

★★★★★ Watched by Zach Stetson 18 Dec, 2014

What can I even say about this?
    Spectacular

• Charlie

★★★★★ Added by Charlie

900 films marked. Another film, another milestone. I wanted 900 to be special, and special it was. Koyaanisqatsi is simply the most beautiful film I've ever seen.

Engaging, subversive, and visually sublime, Koyaanisqatsi is one of a kind. It towers above other films like the skyscrapers it expertly frames.

Phillip Glass' score absolutely has to be mentioned. Auditory bliss. Magic. The rhythmic chanting relaxes you, causing a near-hypnosis and making you susceptible to the film's impact.

I've never seen something so gorgeous, so inspiring, as this movie is. It's simply overwhelming.

• Malick Kaufman

★★★★½ Watched by Malick Kaufman 10 Dec, 2014

Film #24 of The December Challenge 2014...and it was breathtaking.

The main message of Koyaanisqatsi can be boiled down to essentially 3 points.
    1) Modern life is insane.
    2) There are a lot of people that take part in this insanity.
    3) The natural world is way better than modern life.

The third, is I think the most important. Koyaanisqatsi highlights the relative ugliness and strange banality of human production compared with the sheer perfection and variation in nature, though…

• James Frazier

★★★½ Rewatched by James Frazier 12 Dec, 2014

At first I wanted to roll my eyes. But as it delved into the modern age, it coalesced into something hypnotic, a portrait of Western Civilization awe-inspiring in a contradictory way as it illustrates the dehumanization of a dense society and the subtle way individuals supply threads for the tapestry. Cool.

• Aless

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aless 03 Dec, 2014

This film makes me realise things I've never realised before.

• Supercattle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Supercattle 30 Nov, 2014

This movie makes me jimmy moist. 10/10

• JuanCostrada

★★★★★ Watched by JuanCostrada 29 Nov, 2014

Koyaanisqatsi is a visual and audio delight as it combines the natural environment of the world with human constructs.

A narrative of sorts forms and thankfully this is not in a heavy-handed manner. Much of the joy is in seeing the various forms of movement in different objects when time is displaced. It has dated extremely well and gives a fantastic look back at the late 70’s to early 80’s. If there is anything against it, the highway sequences are a little overdone, even though they are brilliant.

The Costrada: The finale.

• Jose Geogcia

★★★½ Watched by Jose Geogcia 22 Nov, 2014 4

At times surreal, at others somewhat dull. An interesting exploration of humanity's worst traits, but lacking any element of redemption or hope.

• Lawrence Garcia

★★★★ Watched by Lawrence Garcia 19 Nov, 2014

80/100

Went in with a bit of trepidation, given that Reggio's masterpiece is always described as experimental—which people often use as shorthand for an ambitious failure. Was expecting to admire the film, but not much more. Those preemptive reactions proved unfounded; Koyaanisqatsi just floored me.

Koyaanisqatsi plays out like something a higher life form or divine being would create to document the existence of human life—and all its attendant turmoil, messiness and complexity. It's an alien perspective that is both…

• Arik Devens

★★★★★ Watched by Arik Devens 15 Nov, 2014

An absolutely stunning visual achievement that’s also one of the most inspiring documentaries I’ve ever seen. Everyone should see this film at least once.

Well then, that was intense. Intense in a visual sense, this film is unbelievably beautiful, and also intense from a conceptual sense. Like the best video at a Godspeed You! Black Emperor concert ever. I’ve rarely seen a film that was this visually stimulating, while also remaining so unbelievably thought-provoking. This isn’t a film that I…

• Victor Krause

Watched by Victor Krause 13 Nov, 2014

So... I fell asleep during this. Which is why I have not included a rating.

I will say this: I enjoyed most of what I saw and heard. There were a lot of cool musical ideas on display. We talked about some general narrative things that could be found over the running time, but I prefer to think of it as a love letter to establishing shots. It just kinda sucked when nothing turned into a scene. It was pretty much the Too Many Cooks of establishing shots.

• Forrrestw2Rs

Watched by Forrrestw2Rs 12 Nov, 2014

Godfrey Reggio's visual poem is visually breathtaking and makes masterful use of Phillip Glass's musical talents. It's shot using a lot of slow-motion and time-lapse and invites the audience to come up with their own interpretation of the balance--or imbalance--of man and nature.