• Minsen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Minsen 22 Nov, 2015

It hits you like a shot through the chest. Again and again. I still love it.
    --- Decent 9 ---

• Brian Welk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brian Welk 04 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Another film that has gotten better after multiple viewings and convinced me that it is a true classic. And yet I see it as something out of time, not strictly a pastiche of the noir films or Old Hollywood period, and not necessarily an example that I would argue has inspired subsequent films in story structure or in style. What I like best is actually how it plays with style, turning into a momentary horror film when Russell Crowe is…

• CureTap

★★★★★ Watched by CureTap 17 Nov, 2015

"Why did you become a cop?"

"... I don't remember."

A vivid and sprawling Los Angeles crime tale, about integrity, justice, celebrity, and ambition.

The story is excellently crafted, and well layered. It's rife with allusions to hard boiled detective stories, pulp novels, and classic film noir. Nothing is exactly groundbreaking about any of it, but what's great about it is how well all of the pieces fit together. It's a labyrinthine and twisting tale. While it presents all of…

• Simon Woods

★★★★★ Watched by Simon Woods 12 Sep, 2000

I watched this after I saw Gladiator because I enjoyed Russell Crowe so much, I wanted to find other things he was in. I ended up loving this movie more than Gladiator! Russell is as good as I wanted him to be, and the scene where he interrupts Guy Pearce's interrogation might be the best piece of acting he's ever done. Speaking of Guy Pearce, this movie introduced me to him, and it has been a wonderful relationship ever since.…

• Gabriel Camillozzi

★★★½ Added by Gabriel Camillozzi

Voluptuosamente cativante. Você quer heróis imaculados e vilões corruptos? Curtis Hanson te oferece tudo isso com muita sofisticação e glamour hollywoodiano.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Diz Hooper

★★★★½ Watched by Diz Hooper 06 Nov, 2015

I really like the setting for this. They did a good job of making this feel like the period it is set in.

• Andy McMillan

★★½ Watched by Andy McMillan 05 Nov, 2015

James Cromwell's Irish accent. Oof.

• kieronimo

★★★½ Watched by kieronimo 29 Oct, 2015

sync - mittel

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 26 Oct, 2015

An interesting and complicated film that deserves further analysis. I think I understood everything by the end, but I'll have to check.

• Sandro_Dantas

★★★★★ Watched by Sandro_Dantas 20 Aug, 2015

Another great movie with the LAPD stamp. Almost as good as Heat.

• JustinBateman

★★★★½ Added by JustinBateman

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."

A shooting at a diner leads to an investigation by the LAPD in which three very different cops try to find the truth, uncovering corruption, blackmail and murder along the way.

Based loosely on James Ellroy's novel of the same name, this Curtis Hanson film is not only one of the best examples modern film noir but also one of the best movies of the last 20 years.

It's a much…