• yrsurfinman

★★★½ Watched by yrsurfinman 18 Dec, 2014

This is by no means a bad movie. It has an engaging, complicated plot that is beautifully handled, and for that alone it deserves kudos. It helps that it's also suffused with smart social critique.

That said, I was a little disappointed overall. There were just certain character things that didn't sit right with me. For example, I got the sense that there's supposed to be this tension between Exley's sense of justice and his political instincts and I just…

• Ayden Crumpton

★★★ Watched by Ayden Crumpton 12 Dec, 2014

I didn't get in to this movie as much as I'd hoped.

• Justin Harrison

★★★★ Watched by Justin Harrison 13 Dec, 2014

It's a glorious period piece, and I'm even more excited to read the book than I already was.

• Connor

★★★★½ Added by Connor

Amazing detective film.

• Mohsen

★★★★ Watched by Mohsen 08 Dec, 2014

Everything is really great in L.A. Confidential. It's just not the movie I would love!

• Paul Lister

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Lister 06 Dec, 2014 2

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."

Hanson's 'L.A. Confidential', based on the James Ellroy novel of the same name, is in my opinion one of the greatest films of the nineties and one of the finest crime films of all time. It is equal parts pulpy and classy in it's depiction of 1950's L.A. and it's police force, looking deeply into police corruption and racism and the more glamorous side that crime presents in show business and…

• smalltowngirl

★★★★★ Rewatched by smalltowngirl 05 Dec, 2014

A cop thriller given by three very different cops, who all manage to be likable anyway.

• Mary

★★★★ Watched by Mary 01 Dec, 2014

A beautiful fantasy of corruption. Impeccable costumes and design - as Thom Andersen notes in LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF, layers of previous decades are visible throughout. On this viewing, Bud White emerged as both the real heart of the story and a representation of what Hanson accomplishes: for all of its twists and turns, the film is at its best when its "upstanding" citizens and officers become ravaged by their emotions.

• dr_chile

★★★★★ Added by dr_chile

You can't make a better mystery than a mystery set in Los Angeles. You also can't make a better Los Angeles mystery than L.A. Confidential.

• Leo Schiller

★★★★ Watched by Leo Schiller 12 Nov, 2014

Runs a little in length. All through increased I'm not. But still worth seeing.

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Wooldridge 22 Aug, 2005

Just brilliant. Spacey is fantastic. Everyone is. Curtis Hanson has made some great films, but this is his masterpiece. Like very few filmmakers, he not only spins an engaging tale but beautifully recreated the period setting. It doesn’t sit alongside the classic CHINATOWN, but it’s not far from it.

• Sir. Dale Hutchinson (Real Name, Fake Title): Movie Opinionist Extraordinaire

★★★½ Added by Sir. Dale Hutchinson (Real Name, Fake Title): Movie Opinionist Extraordinaire

I think perhaps James Cromwell and Guy pierce should of got top billing, for this Great Flick.