• kungen

★★★★ Watched by kungen 31 May, 2015

Almost perfect, I don´t know how this could have been hiding beneath the radar for such a long time...

• Thibault Fatton

★★★ Watched by Thibault Fatton 25 May, 2015

“ Porté par un casting cinq étoiles, ce polar, classieux, entretient un rythme monotone au point de s'installer dans une routine inattendue. ”

• Jeff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff 30 May, 2015

Captain Dudley Smith: I doubt you've ever taken a stupid breath. Don't start now.

We really need more movies like this. Classic film noir in every sense of the term. I have always loved this movie since it came out in the late 90's. It has a stellar cast in the prime of their careers. And the story is outstanding. To bad Curtis Hanson hasn't done much since. I really wish more film noir movies like this would be made,…

• washington

★★★½ Watched by washington 29 May, 2015

This film puts so much effort into getting the period pastiche flavour right and can't even be bothered with something as simple as hats for its actors for god only knows what reason. That sums up fairly well the overly aesthetic at the reduction of sense and thematic quality the film suffers. Crowe aside all of the actors fit in and keep the film moving, but basically to no good end. Maybe if they either cut out a few plot lines (Spacey's seems the most expendable) or doubled the length of the film it would breath more easily, but as is is too messy.

• Matthew Manuel

★★★★½ Added by Matthew Manuel

"You're Rollo Tomasi. You're the one who gets away with it all."

You want to believe that the City of Angels had golden wings?

• Jessi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jessi 15 May, 2015

Why couldn't making Noir films be the new "it thing" for films?

• benedictc

★★★★★ Watched by benedictc 07 Jul, 2014

Filled with intriguing characters, investigative twists, and spurts of action, LA Confidential brings crime to life among the backdrop of Los Angeles.

• Ben Dugan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ben Dugan 17 May, 2015

Pretty perfect.

• PodiatricAce79

★★★★★ Added by PodiatricAce79

"Rollo Tomassi."

Sometimes the line between clean and corrupt, good and evil, hero and villain, isn't as clear as technicolor.

• Chetan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chetan 03 May, 2015

I haven't seen this film for over a decade, hell, probably since release. And man, I regret not revisiting this one earlier. It is very very good. The whole story is very involving, and the cast is just top notch. I rank this film up there with the likes of Michael Mann's Heat for excellence in the crime/drama/thriller category.

• Austin Araujo

★★★ Watched by Austin Araujo 26 Apr, 2015

Russell Crowe is good at acting.

• Mike D'Angelo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mike D'Angelo 01 Jun, 2012

82/100

[originally written on my blog]

Bizarrely Panglossian ending still kinda kills it, alas—Bud and Lynn driving off to Bisbee, AZ to become Decent Folks was what made me cringe hardest in '97, but now I'm equally disappointed by Ed's audience-friendly line "They're using me, so for a little while I'm using them," which serves mostly to undermine the pragmatic careerism that motivates him as much as do his precious ideals. That aside, though, it's hard to think of many…