• Massafaka

★★★★½ Rewatched by Massafaka 11 Feb, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• jessikatz

★★★★½ Watched by jessikatz 19 Jul, 2014

Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

I don't know why I didn't watch this earlier. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

• Garrett Irwin

★★★★½ Added by Garrett Irwin

A polished policier in the tradition of Chinatown (1974), with a plot as convoluted as film noir chestnut The Big Sleep (1946), L.A. Confidential (1997) proved that it was still possible to fashion an actor-driven detective yarn in 1990s Hollywood. Adapting the story from James Ellroy's novel, director Curtis Hanson deftly captures the glamour and sleaze of post-war Los Angeles, where hookers look like movie stars and movie stars are mistaken for hookers, as an antagonistic trio of police detectives…

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Watched by feedingbrett 09 Jul, 2014 8

Review In A Nutshell:

I was impressed with L.A. Confidential, though not as much as I wanted to be. The film' story is not easy to completely comprehend, there are details in there that could only be picked up if one has seen the film enough times and gives it the attention it deserves; I was only able to pick up a couple of things but I did find it difficult to wrap my entire brain around it, this was…

• Luke Morgan

★★★★ Watched by Luke Morgan 06 Jul, 2014

Very exciting look into the policing in L.A. in the 50's. Great performances all round, especially stand-outs from Spacey, Pearce and Crowe. Really enjoyed this.

• Vinny Thornburg

★★★★★ Added by Vinny Thornburg 1

I can't see LA Confidential ever getting old. Ever.

I've watched it in every format I could find, just because I kinda need too. So far it's been DVD, VHS, Bluray, and now Laserdisc. I've watched it with the commentary (Which is disappointing but still interesting) and I've even watched it while following along with the screenplay.

Everything is done so well, and plucking out the foreshadowing is so fun. Just again and again getting the pleasure of the fine…

• Kenneth Stamp

★★★★ Rewatched by Kenneth Stamp 02 Jul, 2014

"Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona."

• landskip

★★★★ Rewatched by landskip 03 Jul, 2014

Richly desrves its status as a classic. Imaginative, funny, exciting, with terrific performances by all the stars.

• Fesapo

★★★★ Added by Fesapo

89/100

• Tyler Foster

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tyler Foster 08 Feb, 2014

Seems strangely unique. No need for much flash aside from the production design or cinematography: just a bunch of great actors in an equally great mystery. How hard is that?

• elias1026

★★★½ Watched by elias1026 14 Jun, 2014

MOVIE A DAY FOR A YEAR - DAY 77

Must re-watch soon, as I was very distracted while watching this one. I found the acting to be great, the writing to be interesting, the directing to be not bad, but the whole thing was a bit boring. I know this won't be my last viewing, so I'll be glad if I'm not bored at all the next time.

• Jimmy Jones

★★★★½ Added by Jimmy Jones

One of the best period pieces of the 90s, even if it doesn't go back too far in time - just to the classic days of Hollywood. It creates a new type of film noir, one with much more color and much less black-and-white morals, so to speak. We follow Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, and Russell Crowe around as 3 cops who all want LA to be a specific way. Pearce is obviously the most morally upright and just, but…