• claudeeea

★★★★ Watched by claudeeea 01 Sep, 2015

All I want is to wrap Bud White in a warm blanket ad never ever let go.

• calvinnemeth

★★★★ Added by calvinnemeth

A film where Spacey plays both the villain and the clumsy, loveable sidekick. And where one of the main characters isn't even visible on the cover.

• Eamonn Rafferty

★★★★½ Watched by Eamonn Rafferty 25 Aug, 2015

L.A Confidential is a film with some of the best periodic set designs around for this noir tale of a corrupted society, not just the police force. The screenplay from Brian Helgeland and Curtis Hanson (on the novel of the same name by James Ellroy) is terrific as is Hanson's direction and what an all star cast this film had. Guy Pearce is terrific in this film as Ed Exley, a guy not only to stay above the seed of…

• Alex Gidley

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Gidley 29 Aug, 2015

I'm Russell Crowe and welcome to Fightin' Round Los Angeles.

• Dakotah Green

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dakotah Green 30 Aug, 2015

Almost perfect. Chop off the last 3 minutes where they just recap and explain the preceeding two hours and give a happy ending. I see this as a major inspiration for True Detective's underappreciated 2nd season.
    Essential Films of the 90s.
    Essential Neo-noir.

• Jordan Mackay

★★★½ Rewatched by Jordan Mackay 26 Aug, 2015

It's been about 4 or 5 years since I last watched this, and I that period, I've seen and read up on a lot more Noir. LA Confidential no longer stands out for me.

When I first saw this film, I loved it because it felt so unique and refreshing, and I suppose it was for the time it came out, but watching it now so far removed and with a lot more knowledge of the films that inspired it,…

• Conan Tan

★★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 03 Aug, 2015

Would recommend if you are into mystery/noir genre. Solid performances from the lead such as Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce and Kim Basinger.

• Lasse Marhaug

★★★ Rewatched by Lasse Marhaug 23 Aug, 2015

Pleasant revisit – much better than I remembered. Missed the beginning and kept thinking throughout that Kim Basinger looked nothing like Rita Hayworth - realizing later she was supposed to be like Veronica Lake.

• Thomas Wishloff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Wishloff 22 Aug, 2015

This time around I think I finally put this thing together. It's about the grey area in life, how nothing is just black or white, plain good or evil. How there are always layers to everything.

It's magnificent.

• blairtreacy

★★★★★ Added by blairtreacy

An absolute stormer from start to finish, this film is like watching 14 episodes of Columbo at the same time and it still makes sense. You are never quite sure who is the main character, or if there even is one, but one thing I know for sure is that I would love to have gone full blown Nelson Muntz on Guy Pearce's character Exley, like I'm talking underwear over the head and head in the toilet sort of job…

• Thiago Minhoca

★★★★½ Watched by Thiago Minhoca 12 Jul, 2015

Nunca imaginei que o mesmo diretor de "8 Mile" e "Em seu Lugar" (filmes posteriores) pudesse ter realizado um filme tão envolvente e muito bem estruturado como esse. Filme criminal com ótimo roteiro e um elenco formidável. Kevin Spacey no modo cínico sempre bom de ver. Russel Crowe muito bem inserido no papel do policial durão (e bem nas cenas mais dramáticas). Guy Pearce (que sempre confundo com o Val Kilmer) com seu estilo de filha da puta (achei o melhor personagem do filme). Enfim, é um filme muito bem construído no seu miolo principal. Além da trilha, som, edição, figurino e direção de arte.

• Rubix Hodor

★★★★ Watched by Rubix Hodor 18 Aug, 2015

I missed this one for a long time. Filed under "I Saw That One, Didn't I?" But after only one viewing, I realized that this is not a movie anyone forgets.

A 101 class in noir: highly stylized setting, "movie star" performances, tough men and breathy women. It's not so much that the plot twists, but that it turns so often, the viewer cant quite get a handle on the beats or the character's motives. But that type of transgression…