• Dumdidumdum

★★★★ Rewatched by Dumdidumdum 25 Jun, 2015

When I first saw this film as a teen, I was put off because it seemed too complex and dark. Now it seems like a technicolor theme park vision of James Elroy's sprawling, corrupt LA - complete with chills, thrills, romance and bromance.

• Banners

★★★★ Watched by Banners 26 Jun, 2015

'I admire you as a policeman - particularly your adherence to violence as a necessary adjunct to the job.'

L.A. Confidential will always suffer from the justified but unflattering comparisons with Chinatown. Both are fine examples of the neo-noir genre, with twisting plots, cruel characters and a bleak outlook, but Polanski's film is the moodier, darker and more savage film. L.A Confidential is, however, a fine film, centred on a trio of actors whose performances here are among the best…

• Chloe Lin

★★★ Watched by Chloe Lin 21 Jun, 2015

On the surface this movie has all I could want: double-crossing cops, femme fatales, old school Hollywood, corruption and fame, not mention a plenty complicated plot with characters to match. Something about watching this just felt a bit off to me, though. Watching violence is hard, especially one-on-one violence. Russell Crowe's character to me was especially difficult to watch for his unhinged violence, and I suppose that adds something to his character, but I didn't care for it.

• Mason McCabe

★★★★ Added by Mason McCabe

Watched this movie on a plane. Definitely above plane-movie quality. 👌
    +++ Bonus points for Danny Devito

• Jonatas C D

★★★★½ Watched by Jonatas C D 18 Jun, 2015

a photography lesson with a well produced, high casted, (kind of) noir movie in colors.

• Poulet1039

★★★★½ Watched by Poulet1039 18 Jun, 2015

Think of this as Noir 3D, with that extra dimension coming by way of fully developed characters. No flat characters here. Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe & Guy Pearce play Los Angeles police officers, none of whom are likeable at the beginning of the picture, but all of whom you care about by the end. These three are surrounded by a large and excellent cast including Kim Basinger who won the academy award for Best Actress In A Supporting Role. This film…

• Ben Elliott

★★★★ Watched by Ben Elliott 17 Jun, 2015

Classic néo-noir with solid acting from Crowe, Spacey, and Basinger -- plus a fantastic ending. However, it waits too long for the plot to take hold of the viewer and doesn't add much of anything new.

• Mi N.

★★★½ Watched by Mi N. 17 Jun, 2015

before channing tatum became the blocky talentless bland emotionless meathead action blob of hollywood, there was russell crowe

• Moosicles

★★★★★ Added by Moosicles

Gritty,stylish,with a screenplay that ties up at the end like Chinatown. A brilliant modern-day film noir. Also love Donte Spinotti's gorgeous cinematography and Jerry Goldsmith's epic score. A gem from 1997!

• Duke

★★½ Rewatched by Duke 08 Jun, 2015

Not sure I'll ever understand the love the rest of the world seems to have for this film. It's fine.

• Lionel

★★★★ Watched by Lionel 08 Jun, 2015

A slick, solid neo-noir featuring three well-developed characters digging into a convoluted mystery, L.A. Confidential pretty much lives up to its amazing reputation. The use of three main detective characters who interact and contrast with each other in interesting ways helps compensate for the occaisional melodramatic scene or convoluted side-plot: the film has a strong anchor in its leads, who all give great performances. The script's witty but never overly pulpy dialogue also helps a lot. The story isn't progressive…

• fistofan0077

★★★★½ Watched by fistofan0077 06 Jun, 2015

Things L.A. Confidential makes me miss:
    - Danny Devito being anyone other than Frank Reynolds
    - Kevin Spacey being incredible in a movie setting...rather than being cool on House of Cards or insurance commercials.
    - Russell Crowe playing a meat head in movies that aren't dreary period pics (this movie is the opposite of dreary).
    - Guy Pearce
    - Kim Bassinger in a big role.

Seriously, one of the best casts of the 90s...perhaps one of the best casts ever. All rolled up into a twisty, exciting thriller that takes place in the 50s.