• Hassan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hassan 12 Sep, 2014

Third favorite neo-noir film after Mulholland Dr and Chinatown.

• JackGir

★★★★★ Added by JackGir

Perfection.

• Daniel Sarath

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Sarath 08 Sep, 2014

L.A. Confidential presents a sordid history of Los Angeles; a city trying to lay the foundations of its future at a time when it was caught between the glamorous image of the movies and the criminal underbelly perpetuated by organised mafia activity.

Curtis Hansen's adaptation of James Ellroy's novel tells the history of the city through a blend of fact and fiction. The main web is that of three cops connected by a murder rife with internal corruption, but the…

• Sam

★★★★★ Added by Sam 5

Straight from the 'fowl-owl's' finest dope - albeit just a taste, that will nonetheless have you floating palm-frown high on benzedrine, and spewing buckshot at every third floor mansion window, to catch a peep of drooping tit before you crash brain plate first through through a prowler car's back window - after which, and only if - your not some dipshit geek - you'll escape with eyes full of soft glass - and run straight to the source, slap down…

• SpookyScelton

★★½ Watched by SpookyScelton 06 Sep, 2014

I'm confused to why this film is so highly regarded.

• KMOKLER

★★★★★ Added by KMOKLER 1

I just watched this earlier today having read nothing about it and found myself loving it its jam packed with awesome performances and i still love Guy Pearce (honestly) and Russell Crowe the end shooting sequence is amazing this is one of those films that's sooo good you will never come across something like it again.

• madquark

★★★★½ Rewatched by madquark 03 Sep, 2014

Una maravilla moderna

• maya-noëlle

★★ Watched by maya-noëlle 30 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★½ Rewatched by ScreeningNotes 27 Aug, 2014 12

"Rolo Tamasi."

I discovered Alice hadn't seen this, and considering mystery-thriller is her favorite genre combination, watching it was basically a foregone conclusion. I didn't take notes, so there won't be any in-depth analysis today; suffice it to say that this is one of my all-time favorite movies because of (1) its great characters played by great actors, (2) its portrayal of the violent underside of the law, and (3) its illustration of the name of the father. I do…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 14 May, 2008

Arguably the best neo-noir film since Roman Polanski's Chinatown, L.A. Confidential by Curtis Hanson is a visually magnificent (though a black-and-white cinematography would probably have suited better its style and setting), finely directed, cleverly written, and powerfully acted motion picture. Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, and Kim Basinger were absolutely stunning.

In my opinion, one of the most remarkable pieces of cinema released in the late 1990s, it's definitely on par, or at least really close to be, with classic noir pieces such as The Third Man, Touch of Evil, and Chinatown itself.

• Soohyung Kim

★★★★½ Watched by Soohyung Kim 27 Aug, 2014

Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

L.A. Confidential is a fantastic piece of movie history (yeah, it's been 17 years already), with a great star line-up and a very well-written plot. Unlike with many other attempts in this genre you can't predict both the good guys and the bad guys next moves. I enjoyed it very much.

• Ryan Little

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Little 22 Aug, 2014

What a cast! It's so refreshing to see a neo noir filled with as much real, palpable life as distinctive style. Wonderful storytelling; a real top-to-bottom great film that's as fun as it is artful.