• ScreeningNotes

★★★★½ Rewatched by ScreeningNotes 27 Aug, 2014 12

"Rolo Tamasi."

I discovered Alice hadn't seen this, and considering mystery-thriller is her favorite genre combination, watching it was basically a foregone conclusion. I didn't take notes, so there won't be any in-depth analysis today; suffice it to say that this is one of my all-time favorite movies because of (1) its great characters played by great actors, (2) its portrayal of the violent underside of the law, and (3) its illustration of the name of the father. I do…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 14 May, 2008

Arguably the best neo-noir film since Roman Polanski's Chinatown, L.A. Confidential by Curtis Hanson is a visually magnificent (though a black-and-white cinematography would probably have suited better its style and setting), finely directed, cleverly written, and powerfully acted motion picture. Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, James Cromwell, Danny DeVito, and Kim Basinger were absolutely stunning.

In my opinion, one of the most remarkable pieces of cinema released in the late 1990s, it's definitely on par, or at least really close to be, with classic noir pieces such as The Third Man, Touch of Evil, and Chinatown itself.

• Soohyung Kim

★★★★½ Watched by Soohyung Kim 27 Aug, 2014

Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

L.A. Confidential is a fantastic piece of movie history (yeah, it's been 17 years already), with a great star line-up and a very well-written plot. Unlike with many other attempts in this genre you can't predict both the good guys and the bad guys next moves. I enjoyed it very much.

• Ryan Little

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Little 22 Aug, 2014

What a cast! It's so refreshing to see a neo noir filled with as much real, palpable life as distinctive style. Wonderful storytelling; a real top-to-bottom great film that's as fun as it is artful.

• sven.

★★★★★ Watched by sven. 23 Aug, 2014

"da: who's to say what happened? maybe died a hero?

[exley smirks]

police chief: you wanna tell me what you're smiling about?

exley: a hero.

detective 1 : how did he know what we were talking about?

detective 2 : he couldn't have heard us.

police chief: and?

exley: in this situation, you'll need more than one."

of shotguns and rollo tomasi.

• Amrit Rukhaiyaar

★★★★ Watched by Amrit Rukhaiyaar 21 Aug, 2014

"Lynn Bracken: You say "fuck" a lot.
    Bud White: You fuck for money."

I am not sure who shadowed who, never thought a "Guy Pearce" would look as good as a "Russell Crowe" and a "Kevin Spacey" when cast together.

great film.. !!

• Kev.

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kev. 20 Aug, 2014 1

"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush!"

Back in 2011, the famed Rockstar Games Studio released their neo-noir detective video game, aptly titled L.A. Noire. I would like to credit that game's fantastic story and aesthetic because it led me to delve further into film noir, and that's how I found L.A. Confidential. I've seen it three times since my initial viewing, and it remains consistently compelling. It has it all; an arresting plot with plenty of twists…

• Josh

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh 14 Aug, 2014

(Slightly spoilerish)

This film put Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce and even Kevin Spacey (to a degree) on the map. Talk about an ensemble. Throw in Danny DeVito and Kim Basinger as well. This film has a lot of plot and a lot of atmosphere and feels like it operates in a sort of hyper-reality with some exaggerated dialogue and performances. The mood, set decoration, hell even wardrobe are incredible here. The two flaws for me:
    1. Never really bought into…

• masuyo
  • justinC

★★★★½ Watched by justinC 13 Aug, 2014 13

L.A. Confidential is another film that has escaped my viewing for years now and today I finally chased it down.

Director Curtis Hanson directed this noir with a star studded cast using superbly scripted characters.

I will start off saying I don't think I fully comprehend everything this film had going on and all the little details but I will definitely be rewatching this again very soon.

The characters of Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, and Kevin Spacey were absolutely phenomenal!…

• Dan Hassler-Forest

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dan Hassler-Forest 13 Aug, 2014

Pretty good for a movie in which literally all the female characters are abuse victims and/or prostitutes.

• Christian Kim

★★★★★ Watched by Christian Kim 12 Aug, 2014

For the longest time, I have said that Memento was my favorite movie. Well right now, what movie I love better. This movie or Memento. Either way, its a win-win situation for Guy.

(Stay tuned for Full Review)