• MoviePhanatic

★★★★★ Watched by MoviePhanatic 28 Jul, 2014

A film with some absolutely amazing screen-writing, L. A. Confidential was an absolute blast from start to finish. Each actor (especially Basinger) makes their character so interesting with the actions, expressions and dialogue they give and Hanson captures the scene of the 50's through some incredible direction and cinematography. The film had something enjoyable at every moment and I fell in love with it. It doesn't rank high when compared to some of my favorite but it really is that good. Really Academy? Titanic over THIS?!!

• CathRM

★★★★½ Watched by CathRM 25 Jul, 2014

Brilliant. A neo-noir about the corrupt L.A.P.D that twists and turns as the story unravels and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. An all-star cast where each holds their own and brings great energy to each scene. Dare I say, the best I've seen in this genre?

• brianmurray92

★★★★ Watched by brianmurray92 25 Jul, 2014

A sublime cast, an intriguing plot, and Kevin Spacey's face. What more could one want from a film? Outstanding performance from Russell Crowe; I was definitely entertained.

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 25 Jul, 2014

A rookie "do good" cop investigates murders and corruption in LA, while other cops do the same, trying to figure out the shooter and the corruption. This movie has a excellent cast and characters and acting.

• Viktor Prentovski

★★★★★ Watched by Viktor Prentovski 22 Jul, 2014 5

Part of Vprento’s Top 150 Movies of All-Time

L.A. Confidential is one of the best movies of the 90s and probably the best neo-noir ever. The story is excellent, full of twists and turns. The characters are great and the acting is brilliant. Kim Basinger, Russel Crowe, Kevin Spacey and Guy Pearce show what Oscar-worthy acting is. The supporting cast is great too. The script is awesome, filled with rich dialogue. Such a brilliant film!

• Massafaka

★★★★½ Rewatched by Massafaka 11 Feb, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• jessikatz

★★★★½ Watched by jessikatz 19 Jul, 2014

Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

I don't know why I didn't watch this earlier. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

• Garrett Irwin

★★★★½ Added by Garrett Irwin

A polished policier in the tradition of Chinatown (1974), with a plot as convoluted as film noir chestnut The Big Sleep (1946), L.A. Confidential (1997) proved that it was still possible to fashion an actor-driven detective yarn in 1990s Hollywood. Adapting the story from James Ellroy's novel, director Curtis Hanson deftly captures the glamour and sleaze of post-war Los Angeles, where hookers look like movie stars and movie stars are mistaken for hookers, as an antagonistic trio of police detectives…

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Watched by feedingbrett 09 Jul, 2014 8

Review In A Nutshell:

I was impressed with L.A. Confidential, though not as much as I wanted to be. The film' story is not easy to completely comprehend, there are details in there that could only be picked up if one has seen the film enough times and gives it the attention it deserves; I was only able to pick up a couple of things but I did find it difficult to wrap my entire brain around it, this was…

• Luke Morgan

★★★★ Watched by Luke Morgan 06 Jul, 2014

Very exciting look into the policing in L.A. in the 50's. Great performances all round, especially stand-outs from Spacey, Pearce and Crowe. Really enjoyed this.

• Vinny Thornburg

★★★★★ Added by Vinny Thornburg 1

I can't see LA Confidential ever getting old. Ever.

I've watched it in every format I could find, just because I kinda need too. So far it's been DVD, VHS, Bluray, and now Laserdisc. I've watched it with the commentary (Which is disappointing but still interesting) and I've even watched it while following along with the screenplay.

Everything is done so well, and plucking out the foreshadowing is so fun. Just again and again getting the pleasure of the fine…

• Kenneth Stamp

★★★★ Rewatched by Kenneth Stamp 02 Jul, 2014

"Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona."