• Rootbean

★★★★★ Rewatched by Rootbean 25 Oct, 2014

I think Patrick Bateman would approve of this.

• Carlos

★★★★ Added by Carlos

• Rocco Tenaglia

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rocco Tenaglia 22 Oct, 2014

I hesitate to even call this a neo-noir. This is just a proper noir film that happened to be made in 1997. There is less of an awareness of the genre than it is just made from the same template.

The 90s was so great for ensemble casts.

• Bill Shannon

★★★★½ Added by Bill Shannon

One of the most overlooked films of the 1990s, and one of my favorites. The popularity of "Titanic" in '97-'98 overshadowed this brilliant crime drama that succeeds as a noir, a character study, an action film, and a period piece.

Director Curtis Hanson creates a universe of corrupt cops, mobsters, and hedonists. And everyone is putting on a performance: nothing is what it appears. The exploration of reality vs facade permeates the entire film: regular girls are giving plastic surgery…

• Hemi

★★★★ Added by Hemi

Overall a solid movie. Plenty of twists and crooked dealings to keep it interesting. Plenty of known good actors which normally means a movie will tank, does not do so here.

• Josh

★★★ Watched by Josh 11 Oct, 2014

A good neo-noir, but half the time Ed White (Russell Crowe) was in a scene, he was beating people up, and that got old after a while.

• Rose

★★★★ Watched by Rose 06 Oct, 2014

Good:Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe , and Guy Pearce were all excellent, rest of the cast were good too. Nice dialogue. Intriguing story. Love Danny Devito's narrations in the few scenes they were featured. Nice twists.

Bad: It felt a little rushed towards the second half of the film but not a big detractor.

Overall: Another movie I wish I saw earlier. I love when neo-noir films get it right (take note Gangster Squad!). I might view this film again because it does have a lot going on with the plot that I probably missed (and usually do with these types of films)

• Joe DiCanio

★★★ Watched by Joe DiCanio 02 Mar, 2011

Rating: B-

• Hao Xu

★★★★½ Watched by Hao Xu 30 Sep, 2014

No idea why I haven't seen this before.

Everything about this is perfect, harkens back to old cinema.

That being said, if you go into this for the first time with the new, 'it's hip to be clever', 'I've seen this type of stuff 1000 times' mentality and can not appreciate the solid 'cliche' mechanisms that come with classic story telling then I only have one thing to say to you....

....Rollo Tomasi

• Jay-r Trinidad

★★★★ Watched by Jay-r Trinidad 12 Apr, 1981

watched films that start with the letter l.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

L.A. Confidential directed by Curtis Hanson, starring stormy cast of Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce and Russel Crowe. L.A. Confidential has become a celebrated neo-film-noir, with multiple layers of dark truths beneath it. Entire cast of the film gives praise-worthy performance. It might be that Steven Spielberg gave homage to a similar scene, from L.A. Confidential scene, where Kevin Spacey is shot, into his film Minority Report '03, where Colin Ferrell gets shot, both coincidently echoing same tone of the scene.

• Jason