• shampoocell

★★★★★ Watched by shampoocell 25 Mar, 2015

Pretty much anything you could possibly want in a noir crime drama. It's a slightly different take on the classic "rookie cop has to choose to be a bad boy or a valorous hero" story that doesn't seek to make its main characters heroes or villains. This is a story of surviving inside the machine.

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★½ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Excellent crime drama full of amazing performances.

• Joseph William Lewis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph William Lewis 22 Mar, 2015

Not to be fucked with. I long for the two seconds in which Curtis Hanson was a serious filmmaker, because he knew how to get inside characters' heads while spinning riveting stories like nobody's business. Spacey gives the flashiest performance here and he's excellent as always, but the subtle evolution of the relationship between Crowe's Bud White and Pearce's Ed Exley is the film's beautiful highlight. The scene were they burst into Patchett's house, shotguns aimed and all bad blood forgotten, is a fistpump moment like no other. An immaculately-made noir homage that also ranks as one of the genre's greatest.

• Andrew

★★★ Watched by Andrew 21 Sep, 2008

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Let's start with the good, shall we? I love the characters and that's really probably the best thing about "L.A. Confidential". You get a pretty eccentric little group of detectives, all with totally different personalities and your opinion of them changes over the course of the film. Take Ed Exley for example: At the beginning of the film, you see Exley as a sniveling little yes-man, who will not break (or even bend) the book for no reason. We see…

• shakthi

★★★★ Watched by shakthi 17 Sep, 2014

Interesting and nice story.

• joebacon

★★★★ Watched by joebacon 18 Mar, 2015

You really need to pay attention while watching this film. Subplots, heavy scenes of dialogue, and exposition that can be rushed through rather quickly can make this film hard to follow but all of it adds up, giving the audience rich characters and a plot that delivers.

• Jay Hook

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jay Hook 17 Mar, 2015

How they were able to adapt this book, I'll never know.

• darkelf

★★★★½ Rewatched by darkelf 15 Mar, 2015

Greatly acted and directed but it's the script that deserves all the praise for this brilliant period piece. Great pacing and twists make this one of the best movies of the genre.

• Aaron Boardley

★★★ Watched by Aaron Boardley 15 Mar, 2015

Plenty of mystery to keep you guessing in a good ol' fashioned taled of corruption...but I didn't care that much, nor feel well enough informed to be surprised.

• Cian

★★★★ Watched by Cian 13 Mar, 2015

L.A. Confidential is fun as fuck.

Pulpy at a glance, it explores themes through great combinations of cinematic and narrative language. Simultaneously a tribute to and a critique of classic Hollywood, the movie itself is quite hush-hush on how really smart and thoughtful it is about it's subject matter.

Initially hard to keep track of, the film follows three separate protagonists in Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe and Guy Pearce. All deliver great performances, coating the screen with a constant layer…

• Clint

★★★★★ Watched by Clint 13 Mar, 2015

Ticked one off my shame list. For someone who loves genre pictures and the particular sensibilities to be found out of noir, it was a damn shame that I'd never watched L.A. Confidential. It's everything as advertised: slick, sexy, and violent, with a surprisingly deep introspection into its characters. Every performance is noteworthy. The score and the production design are pitch-perfect.

• David Ashley

5'11" Guy Pearce
    5'10" Kevin Spacey
    5'7" Kim Basinger
    5'0" Danny DeVito

I had forgotten Cromwell was such a giant. I don't think the film exploited the opportunity properly to demonstrate how much he towers over the people around him - Cromwell always comes off to me as sort of lanky.