• Branden

★★★★ Watched by Branden 06 Mar, 2014

Oh, Jim Hensen, you genius. This is the first time I've seen this, and I'm mad at myself for waiting so long. The puppet work is stellar, and the story is engaging as hell. Just a ton of fun. I'm excited to revisit this again in the future.

• Matthew Mixon

Rewatched by Matthew Mixon 03 Jul, 2013

One of the many reasons I'm grateful to have been born in the early 80's. They don't make em like this anymore, right?

• Richard Lennox

★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Lennox 11 Apr, 2014

You remind of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power.
    What power?
    The power of voodoo.
    Who do?
    You do?
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe...

Dance, Magic Dance. Dance, Magic Dance. Dance, Magic Dance. Dance, Magic Dance. Put that baby spell on me.

• Stephen Ferraioli

★★★★½ Rewatched by Stephen Ferraioli 10 Apr, 2014 2

Really awful looking CG owl flying around blackness in an uninspired opening credits sequence? Sure. Cheesy child performance from Connolly and borderline narcissism from Bowie? Absolutely. But so what? None of that matters, because the labyrinth is just SO DAMN COOL and I grew up wishing that I could, some day, explore one of my own in order to rescue someone from an asexual goblin king. It's just so damn cool. And surprisingly a lot of the humor holds up - especially my man Didymus - which is big bonus points for a nostalgic rewatch.

• grrhinks

★★★ Watched by grrhinks 08 Nov, 2013

It's all over the place, of course. Slow out of the gate with a justification of its premise even longer than the Kansas portions of "The Wizard of Oz", we're in business as soon as Jareth the Goblin King foxtrots into the frame. Rapping puppets and tight tights do a good job of distracting from the lack of a middle. It's quite astonishing that Ambrosius hasn't been attached to any projects since.

• Kat Moir

★★★★ Rewatched by Kat Moir 06 Apr, 2014

Fair enough, a lot of my love for this movie is probably nostalgia.

Jennifer Connelly gets on my nerves even in today's films, but she's nothing short of insufferable here. I find myself vouching for the Goblin King, and hoping every obstacle becomes her downfall purely so I don't have to watch her anymore. God that girl winds me up.

However, the plus sides - Bowie's soundtrack is fantastic (and his bulge is pretty spectacular.) As an actor he's surprisingly…

• cineedo
  • Matthew Phillips-Moul

★★★ Watched by Matthew Phillips-Moul 03 Apr, 2014

One downside - Bowie's dreadful singing!!!!

• Alan P

★★★★ Rewatched by Alan P 30 Mar, 2014

Short Review: Well, I might as well go through with a full weekend of 80s fantasy films...

Labyrinth has plenty of charm and whimsey, kinda like a live-action Alice in Wonderland with puppets, lots of visual wizardry and effects, and some singing and dancing. Some of it can get a little overly silly, and the main character starts off being so unlikable and whiny, but the film does capture a sense of visual wonder and fairy-tale fantasy. I like David…

• Meronichan

★★★ Added by Meronichan

David Bowie. Honestly, the only reason to watch Labyrinth (but do we need any other reason?). Other than that, basic kid's fare with goofy sidekicks and weird scenarios.
    And tight pants. Very tight pants.

• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★ Watched by Nathan Sizemore 26 Mar, 2014

I admire Labyrinth more than I love it.

I like David Bowie in it. I like the multitude of cool puppets. I like the battle scene toward the end.

Maybe I'll end up in love with Labyrinth but probably not for another viewing or two.

It also bugs me that Jennifer Connelly's dialogue in many cases has been clearly re-recorded in post. I don't know if this bothers other people, but I really notice it.

75/100