• Aswin Sivaraman

★★★★ Watched by Aswin Sivaraman 30 Nov, 2015

Couldn't stop looking at Bowie's crotch. But seriously, as much of a children's movie as it is, Jim Henson and David Bowie deserve mad props for their rather bizarre but wholly unique take on a fantasy world. With 80s Bowie pop overtures and Jennifer Connelly's teenage charm, you really can't help but appreciate Labyrinth for really putting itself out there.

• lobsta

★★★½ Watched by lobsta 01 Dec, 2015

Week 13: November 29th-December 5th
    Coming of Age Week Adams Top 50

--Restarting the Letterboxd Season Challenge--

First time viewing and it's nothing short of the weird and somewhat wonderfilled film I was expecting of Bowie meets Henson. His (Bowie) introduction and musical charm is well suited to the films character, which I'm sure I would have loved if I'd seen it around the same viewing time as some of its contemporaries like The Neverending Story. It's made for children…

• Blair Russell

★★★ Added by Blair Russell 2

I hope that there aren't too many people who strongly disagree with how I rated this. It has to be said that despite being born in 1981, unlike many people in my general age range I had only seen this once before; the reason for me checking it out a second time is that in a matter of hours it'll be gone from Netflix Instant. From what I remember when I first saw it many years ago, I thought it…

• Michael King

★★★ Watched by Michael King 29 Nov, 2015

A cult classic that I can truly see the reasons why it is one. The movie was a fun yet dark tale, one that I don't want to see remade due to the great look of the muppets. The story was OK but the imagery is what made this movie.

• pnbradley

★★★ Watched by pnbradley 29 Nov, 2015

Whose acid trip did I just watch?

• kylegarvey

★★½ Added by kylegarvey

Henson had some good films in him but was mostly known for TV. Bowie had some good films in him but was mostly known for music. I know: let's put these cats together in a film. Make it a weird and fucked-up BARON VON MUNCHAUSEN that peddles druggy but children-safe instead of offbeat smartness. It's a little sophisticated -- interior of room vs. outside world, imagination vs. family, junk give up vs. save Toby press on -- but so creepy and '80s awful and goblin-fantasy-wonked that it just can't survive. It seems quite perfect for high nostalgia, but I just don't know.

• Abby

★★★★ Watched by Abby 29 Nov, 2015

David Bowie in a film is always a wonderful thing

• Garrett the Mad

★★ Rewatched by Garrett the Mad 29 Nov, 2015

Sometimes I should just trust 7-year-old me instead of thinking a movie might've been good that I knew was garbage as a child. Jennifer Connolly was a typically bad child actor. The sets were cheap and fake looking. The muppets weren't very expressive and looked just as fake as the sets. David Bowie hams it up and sings stupid songs about goblins, and for a children's film he has a stupidly large and creepily distracting codpiece under his tights. The…

• marisacarpico

★★★★ Watched by marisacarpico 27 Nov, 2015

Holy shit, I enjoyed this so much. Further proof that David Bowie is in fact a magical being.

• Spencer Serra

★★½ Watched by Spencer Serra 26 Nov, 2015

The puppetry and animatronic effects are phenomenal. The acting and the script, ehhh, not so much. I can't help but imagine this would've made a much better animated movie than live action.

• gigilamarie

★★★★ Added by gigilamarie

Another classic Henson. It's brilliant.

• swellzombie

★★★★ Rewatched by swellzombie 24 Nov, 2015

Don't take this movie for granted. That's the ultimate lesson this film should be known for. Always something new and amazing to see each time I see this. So much goddamned work went into this production. I'm glad that Jennifer Connoly's character changes and learns about not taking thing for granted, because she was awfully annoying at the beginning.