• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 27 Sep, 2008

Despite the fact that I have seen David Lean's nearly four-hour epic Lawrence of Arabia more than a couple of times, it has never managed to conquer my cinematic heart, so to speak. Nevertheless, it's a film I admire deeply. It certainly deserves its status as one of the most awe-inspiring, masterfully crafted, and epic productions in film history, and Peter O'Toole's performance in the title role is every bit as legendary as it is said to be.

• Sean Balanger

★★★★½ Watched by Sean Balanger 27 Aug, 2014

Watching this film quite literally feels like traveling days across a burning desert. While that sounds like a horrible experience, as long as you watch this in a nice air-conditioned room, you really get that very experience without the heat and sunburn and dust covering every part of your body. I've been meaning to tackle (and tackle is an accurate term considering its nearly 4 hour run time) this film for awhile and I'm glad that my first experience with…

• Guilherme Semionato

★★★★ Rewatched by Guilherme Semionato 27 Aug, 2014

Practically the proto-THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT.

Still absorbing and captivating, sure, but it looked bigger on my 29-inch TV screen back in 2001. To be fifteen again...

• Will M-L

★★★★½ Watched by Will M-L 27 Aug, 2014 15

I feel like a bad person for giving this film anything but a 5 haha.

Believe me, this film deserves a 6. I know it does. And once I watch it again I'll probably reward it that rating.

It's the epic of all epics. It's sweeping, encompassing, masterful, fucking BEAUTIFUL, exceptionally framed.

With the 4K transfer I just watched, it feels like this movie was made yesterday. But then I thought to myself.. No, I don't think they could make…

• Gnske

★★★★★ Added by Gnske

The superb epic that others should look to emulate in their pathetic attempts to create an epic of their own.

O'Toole was truly in a class of his own.

• Joeri Boodt

Watched by Joeri Boodt 26 Aug, 2014

In my environment, the term 'epic' is generally used for an overkill of CGI or other big (battle) stuff. So it surprised me that Lawrence of Arabia is called this, but is very much about a man losing his balance. If you think about it, what is more EPIC than diving into the psyche of a man in conflict? Well, the desert, obviously.

Masterpiece, you just got to see it. It's long, but majestic in every possible way.

• Usernametoolong

★★½ Watched by Usernametoolong 10 Aug, 2014

I feel a little bad, I didn't actually like it all that much, the first part was nice enough. After the intermission, I first thought that after having established the legend, they would go for a journalistic counter-look which would have been quite interesting, there's a bit of that, but I thought it could have gone further.
    Overall the nicest things I can say is that it was pretty (it was a 4k restoration), but I didn't really feel the epic spirit or the conflict. I wasn't actively bored, but I was too rarely engaged.

• ben_halford

★★★★★ Rewatched by ben_halford 20 Aug, 2014

David Lean always had a way with epics, and nowhere has Lean's way with scale been so masterful as with Lawrence Of Arabia. Stretching to almost three-and-three-quarter hours, the film is one of the most fascinating character studies in cinema as the subject of the film, T.E. Lawrence, remains an enigma.

An heroic crusader for a foreign culture (such as Lawrence's indignation at the exploitation of the arabs) or an eccentric narcissist who saw the Arabian campaign as a means…

• Sam Bell

★★★★★ Watched by Sam Bell 18 Aug, 2014

Best movie about people riding camels, for sure.

• Kirk Samuelson

★★ Watched by Kirk Samuelson 11 Aug, 2014

Self-consciously EPIC with an anachronistic world-view. Total Academy fodder. Ended the film debating with myself about which of its many bad moments was the worst. Both racist and homophobic. It is something to see for the (epic) landscapes though.

• James Utley

★★★★★ Rewatched by James Utley 17 Aug, 2014

On my second watch of this epic, I appreciated it far more. The visuals are simply stunning with every shot crafted with care so much that each frame of poster-worthy, not even exaggerating. The score is fantastic, it's breathtaking to watch, the performances are great and even though three and a half hours, it never gets boring.
    Watch it if you have not yet, and definitely buy it on blu-ray, it's beautiful!

• Michael Gee

★★★★★ Added by Michael Gee

An unbelievably fascinating movie on the British army legend that was Thomas Edward Lawrence, performed masterfully by Peter O'Toole on this 'on location' film about the journey of a British military genius in WW1 it's beyond my words to describe the beauty and complexity of this film.

Easily one of the greatest films ever made and Peter O'Toole will surely be missed.