• Heljar Wilhelmsen

★★★★★ Watched by Heljar Wilhelmsen 22 Jul, 2014

"Thine mother mated with a scorpion"
    - Mr. Auda Abu Tayi

A remarkable feature. In terms of ambition and grandeur, 'Lawrence of Arabia' is among cinema's greatest achievements, with it's technical prowess, deeply engaging story and some of the most magnificent imagery ever put on film. I watched it in one go and while it is an considerable commitment concerning the lenght, the reward is immense.

Regardless of historical accuracy, the life of T.E Lawrence provides a riveting journey of…

• kgbolinger

★★★★½ Watched by kgbolinger 19 Jul, 2014

I can understand why this film is raved about. I've never seen better cinematography, especially when you consider that the film is 52 years old. There was plenty of amazing writing, and obviously Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif were masterful (though I think Gregory Peck deserved the Oscar in 62.) But there was just something that was off for me. First off, no women. That just automatically made it a little off for me. I thought there was definitely something…

• Gerri Newfry

★★★★ Watched by Gerri Newfry 14 Jul, 2014

too long. we saw this in 70 mm at the music box.

• Jay_Are

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jay_Are 18 Jul, 2014

"Nothing is written."

• Garrison Fox

Watched by Garrison Fox 15 Jul, 2014 3

1989 Restoration

"British and Arab interests are one and the same." That's something the British government might say to placate their allies, but, to Lawrence, it's more of a spiritual oath. T. E. Lawrence is quite the legendary figure. He played an important role in the Arab Revolt during the First World War and was immortalized by the reportage of journalist Lowell Thomas and of course David Lean's epic Lawrence of Arabia. Other British officers naturally existed, but Thomas didn't…

• Paolo Carone

★★★½ Added by Paolo Carone

Saw it in 70mm, so I never have to see it again!

• John Newfry

★★★★½ Watched by John Newfry 14 Jul, 2014

Beautiful as a film, maybe a bit long in the last act.

• Scott McMillin

★★★★½ Rewatched by Scott McMillin 14 Jul, 2014

Part of Music Box Theatre's 70mm film fest. What a treat. Full overture prior to the curtains going up. Incredible picture and sound. This is one of those films that really has to be seen on the big screen in 70mm to witness the unbelievable photography. Of course for all its greatness I still think it's too long and the dramatic narrative a bit simplistic.

• Stef

★★★★ Watched by Stef 26 Dec, 2012

Epic. Even if it dragged a bit towards the end (though after three and a half hours, it might have been more me than the actual movie). Still... epic. And it helps that Omar Sharif is quite easy on the eyes.

• Wilson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Wilson 15 Jul, 2014 4

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Lawrence of Arabia remains one of the greatest films ever made, its languid pacing enlivened by its brilliantly shot action, gloriously beautiful visuals, it's perfect script and amazing performances. It is as good as it gets.

• Amy D.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Amy D. 14 Jul, 2014

Holy cow, if you can see this in 70mm, do it. Don't even think about it, just buy your ticket and sit your butt down.

• Meg Fiechter

★★★★★ Watched by Meg Fiechter 14 Jul, 2014

70mm @ Music Box Theatre, Chicago.