• Josiah Morgan

- The desert is sandy.
    - The desert is long.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

This masterpiece from David Lean, a highly respected film, with some of notable scenes in film history, purely depicts the events in the life of Lawrence T. Wonderful performance from Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn.

Best art-direction, and marvelous cinematography, loved the battle scenes very much.

• Anthony

★★★★★ Watched by Anthony 18 Oct, 2014

David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia is held by most as one of, if not the most, epic of cinematic experiences. Telling the story of T.E. Lawrence whose deployment in the Arabia Peninsula would try to bring about an independent and free Arabia.

Lawrence of Arabia is most probably the most stunning film I have ever seen. Filmed in 70mm, it shows the vast landscapes with unimaginable clarity and Lean's use of space bestows the feeling of freedom, allowing your eye…

• detoxp

★★★★ Watched by detoxp 10 Oct, 2014

I'll admit my attention wavered so this wasn't an ideal viewing - honestly, a film this long needs to be watched in theatres just to limit your attention from wandering - but I was pleasantly surprised to find this to be a surprisingly difficult and complicated film considering how beloved it is. It's really not just a hollow crowd pleaser, and Lawrence himself is a weirdly complex character. The tale of a masochists journey into sadism and psychological collapse somehow won best picture in 1962. Who'd have thought? [A-]

• Stol Bord

★★½ Added by Stol Bord

David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia is considered a full out classic. it is widely respected everywhere, on numerous top ten best films ever made lists, and has received four star reviews everywhere. I watched this film because a friend put it in his top 4 list. i sat down, ready and willing to watch it because of all the praise it had received. About an hour later, i was about to fall asleep. nothing was happening at all. i do…

• Jordan Herman

★★★★★ Watched by Jordan Herman 13 Oct, 2014

I desperately want to see this film in a movie theater.

• Josh

★★★ Watched by Josh 12 Oct, 2014

The first half was really good, but I couldn't follow the second half.
    I personally think Ben-Hur is a superior epic.

• gageaz

★★★★★ Watched by gageaz 11 Oct, 2014

the movie: wacky WWI adventures of T. E. Lawrence as he runs around the desert and gets dangerous with the local peoples.

movie #100 for the year
    movie #300 added to my films

yep, it's a masterpiece.

i don't know how anyone could bear to buy a Fullscreen DVD of this, let alone any movie ever. this movie's beautiful.

oh yeah, and this is my second 4-hour movie this year. go me.

• Jack Waterfield

★★★★½ Watched by Jack Waterfield 10 Oct, 2014

That was the first time I have seen Lawrence of Arabia, and, wow.

Blown away by the cinematography, story and length of this movie.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Prankerd 09 Oct, 2014

Lawrence of Arabia pulls off the same trick as Lean's other widescreen matinee fixture Bridge on the River Kwai in that you always remember it as a stiff upper lip Boy's Own adventure story until you watch it and remember that it's surprisingly subversive, with lots of interesting cynicism about the way fates are decided by odd little well-spoken men behind desks (with the owlish Claude Rains probably the zenith of the charming bastard bureaucrat here).

Lean's visual splendour carries the picture along but it wouldn't work without O'Toole's tour-de-force performance.

• mlcgs34

★★★★½ Watched by mlcgs34 06 Oct, 2014

This has been on the top of my shame list, and I am happy to finally have watched it. I have heard this film as the ultimate epic, and I agree full heartily. Its scope and how it is shot just makes it feel huge. All of the shots with Lawrence walking in the desert are incredible to watch. It makes the movie seem huge. Peter O' Toole is great in it, and Omar Sharif is just as good. The…

• Eclectic Cinephile

★★★★★ Rewatched by Eclectic Cinephile 04 Oct, 2014

Retrospective thoughts on second viewing:

So I finally saw Lawrence of Arabia again, after about six to seven months since my first viewing.

Re-watching the Blu-ray (a stunning restoration work, in my humble opinion) not only brought back this colossal masterpiece to life for me, but it also made it feel superior than on second viewing.

Lawrence of Arabia is certainly grandiose, epic, bombastic and splendid in the best possible senses of these words. The scale is appropriately huge, and…