• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Hannan 13 Oct, 2015 4

Autumn 2015: Films of Unease, Disquiet and Pervasive Dread

Unique and frightening, Linkeroever reminded me in look, feel and tone of Kill List and even of Candyman, but also of the short fiction of Ramsey Campell, in that it conjures up an unbearable tension of isolated claustrophobia and strangulating dread right in the heart of a grey urban sprawl.

It wasn't my intention to veer in to the supernatural with this season of films yet nonetheless Linkeroever fits the bill quite perfectly. It's also one of the best horror films of the past ten years.

• PatrickRipoll

★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

It's amazing what some really strong character work can do for a well-worn horror tale. I don't think there are many true masterpieces of horror with fully developed characters. The genre thrives on archetype. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wouldn't be any scarier if we knew about Sally and Franklin's childhoods. We don't need to know Hutter's hopes and dreams to fear for him when he enters Count Orlock's castle.

But those are masterpieces, they stand as towering achievements of the…

• Neal Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Neal Anderson 17 Sep, 2015

Hoop-Tober 2015: Film 7 of 31

I've been trying to find this elusive film for a while now, and now that I've finally seen it, I can't say I was particularly impressed nor disappointed. I love slow burn films, especially those in the horror genre, but Left Bank takes far too long to become exciting or very interesting. It really isn't until the last 20 minutes that the film gets truly exciting, BUT it is this last 20 minutes that…

• Ari Niemi

★★★½ Watched by Ari Niemi 13 Aug, 2015

A Belgian horror thriller that begins as an urban legend but ends up mixing in some Cronenbergian body horror and Rosemary's Baby. The film takes its time to suck you in but I was happy to see it only got better and better. The mystery unfolds bit by bit but thankfully the director Pieter van Hees doesn't feel the need to explain himself on every occasion. For this reason the film has a lot of rewatch potential, too. Left Bank is a hidden gem, I feel!

• nathaxn walker

★★★★½ Watched by nathaxn walker 05 Jul, 2015

The ever-motion, the flux & peristalsis, the flow of myth and life and all of its comings and goings. How all is and consumes and bestows, inexorably, joyously and full up of dread.

• Sean Andrew Brown

★★★★½ Added by Sean Andrew Brown

Movies involving what this story unfolds over the run time with striking similarities to films such as Kill List not only in terms of bleak tone but story, totally becomes another awesome execution in the modern horror genre.

This is a movie that truly has the balls to go where it hints at throughout from the awesome opening scene to a proper mind-fuck of an end sequence.

• primarioops

★½ Watched by primarioops 03 Jun, 2015

Los pokusaj rimejka rozmarine bebe.

• David Koenig

★★★★ Added by David Koenig

Left Bank (2008) Film Thoughts... here is a film I have had on DVD a bit now and it was a recommend by Philip Perron of Dark Discussions fame. I know when I picked it up, it's labelled as a "horror" film but when you start watching and get a long ways in, you start to think, "This is a horror film?". Then after a couple of reveals happen and you are like, "I'm all in!"

Marie is a track…

• senbe

★★★½ Watched by senbe 06 Dec, 2014

Belgian horror film that starts slow before reaching an odd climax. A young athlete moves in with her new boyfriend and discovers the strange history of the area. Quite gripping and distinctive, though it poaches elements from more famous horror films (to name them would be a spoiler.) Eline Kuppens gives a wonderful central performance that makes the character's tribulations all that more affecting.

Definitely worth watching for horror fans (especially those like me that prefer understated dread over gorefests.)

• ultimatejenn

★★★★ Watched by ultimatejenn 25 Sep, 2014

Trippy horror movie

• oooboodess

★★★ Watched by oooboodess 18 Sep, 2014

Follows the Rosemary's Baby formula with a bit of an interesting twist at the end, but its attempts at building mood don't work. The majority of the film is a pretty plain drama with some dark dream sequences/fantasies thrown in to remind viewers of an eventual payoff. Admirable effort, even if it doesn't hit the mark.

• Joachim Andersson

★★★★½ Watched by Joachim Andersson 04 Jul, 2014

A young athlete moves into her boyfriends apartment to recuperate after an ilness and discover some strange things going on when looking into the disappearance of the previous tenant. You've seen this story several times before, just not like this.

Linkeroever is a bit of a headscratcher in several ways. It takes its sweet time telling its story (I'm pretty sure that if you look up the word slowburner in an encyclopedia you will find this movie) and it's not…