• Audrey Karloff

★★★½ Watched by Audrey Karloff 16 Aug, 2015

Straight-up superhero movie, with Donnie Yen as a sort of Captain China. This and Chow Yun-Fat's The Last Tycoon really make me want to study the history of Shanghai during the Japanese occupation: they're telling the same sort of story, and are set at the same time in the same place, and feature so many characters that are clearly the same but have different names, that I want to find out who was really there and what really went on.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★½ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 10 Sep, 2010

Andrew Lau, of Infernal Affairs fame pays tribute to Bruce Lee by reincarnating one of his most memorable characters in the formulaic yet passable The Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen. Donnie Yen, certainly the most prominent Hong Kong action star of the moment, has begun to star in a series of historical films, which consistently feature underdeveloped characters and too few action scenes. Over the last two years, he delivered two films loosely based on the…

• Sc8lo

★★½ Watched by Sc8lo 13 Sep, 2011

Was expecting better action. Strange story. All over the place.

• JD Frew

★★★ Watched by JD Frew 01 Jul, 2015

Film #7 of the Scavenger Hunt #4 Challenge
    Film that features parkour
    ___________________________________________________________

Donnie Yen, Anthony Wong, and Shu Qi. That's a dream team. It's a shame that the potential is squandered on a story that drags on between fight scenes. The action is great, there's just not enough of it.

• azathought

★★ Watched by azathought 30 Jun, 2015

Trying to be too many things at once. Propaganda start, wirework superpowers, Casablanca, homage to Fist of Legend, Batman movie. I was so confused I had to stop.

• Gavin Rye

★★½ Watched by Gavin Rye 25 Apr, 2015

Legend of the fist really suffers from a lack of action as the story that unfolds certainly isn't enough to carry the film for it's length. What action there is, is just superb as Donnie yen is on ton form pulling off impossible moves using wire work and if the film had a few more of these, it could have been a classic. I liked the super hero idea too in the real world of war. The film looked pretty good too with some superb lighting. It's a missed opportunity.

• Sam

★★ Watched by Sam 11 Apr, 2015

A boring mess with barely any fight scenes for a Donnie Yen movie and very convoluted subplots. At least it looks good and is colorful at times.

• Owen Hughes

★★★ Watched by Owen Hughes 24 Jan, 2015

Continuing my kung-fu film binge recently I wanted to catch up on a few Donnie Yen movies I'd overlooked. I saw this was available, and as I quite enjoy both Jet Li's Fist of Legend and of course Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, I figured I might as well give this a go too.

It's absolutely bizarre. And I'm not just talking about Yen's 50 Shades of Grey all-leather gimp Kato outfit. The plot seems to be all over the…

• Trash City

★★★ Watched by Trash City 05 Jan, 2015

Full review: trashcity.org/BLITZ/BLIT2895.HTM

If there's more than an echo of Bruce Lee here, with Yen adopting a secret identity that's clearly inspired by Lee's Kato character from The Green Hornet, and there's also a sign referencing the Chinese as being the "sick men of Asia". The latter is no surprise, since the character of Chen Zhen was originally created by Lee for Fist of Fury, which had a similar sign. Mind you, Chen was also played by Jet Li in…

• joelhwa

★★ Watched by joelhwa 15 Dec, 2010

4/10: This is somewhat sequel to the original classic Fist of Fury (1972) staring Bruce Lee. Disappointed with this version of Chen Zhen as the filmmakers incorporated superhero element into the movie which makes it very cartoonish. I would recommend watching Jet Li's Fist of Legend (1994) instead.

• Andrew Willis

★★★ Watched by Andrew Willis 28 Aug, 2011

his movie opens with a great action / karate scene. It takes place in the early stages of WWI. The Chinese, Japanese, French and Germans are all fighting. The cinematography is wonderful. It will remain so throughout the entire film. The battle rages on and we see a Chinese soldier go down. Another man in his battalion takes matters into his own hands and nearly single handedly wins the battle. You get a feeling that he could have won the…

• Espen von Hirsch Kummeneje

★★★ Watched by Espen von Hirsch Kummeneje 22 Aug, 2014

Actually a very well made film overall (direction, photography, cast, etc), it is nevertheless marred by being way too slow throughout, and with underwhelming action scenes. Some of the scenes at the Casablance club drag out way too long, especially near the end. The fight scenes are okay, but Ip Man (for example) is way better in this regard. The intro scene in France is actually the highlight of the entire movie, with ridiculous WW1 parkour kungfu accompanied by equally ridiculous overblown music! The final fight is quite an anticlimax, no matter how much Donnie Yen tries to emulate Bruce Lee.