• Filipe Ferraz

★★★★ Watched by Filipe Ferraz 15 Dec, 2015

Mesmo que muitas lutas não sejam orgânicas a trama do filme (como o ato final), o que sempre considero, quando usado com exagero, um enorme erro para longas do gênero, o diretor Wai-Keing Lau consegue mesclar com bastante inteligência o aspecto histórico é dramático de uma China tomada pela opressão japonesa. O resultado é um grande filme, com cenas de ação bem coreografadas, mas acima de tudo, com um sentimentalismo e desenvolvimento expressivo.

• Harris Dang

★★ Added by Harris Dang

Quickie Review

PROS
    The introductory action sequence is spectacular
    Production values look great (use of the Bodyguards and Assassins set)

CONS
    Tries to be MANY things, but falls so far off the mark (War film, gangster film, romance film, superhero film, martial arts film etc.)
    The action scenes are too flashy and over-edited and the climax is massively disappointing
    None of the supporting actors are given anything significant to do
    Slow pacing and lazy storytelling bound with plot holes mar…

• Joe

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 20 Nov, 2015 2

That the "Masked Warrior" conceit is essentially abandoned halfway through isn't as much of a disappointment as it might have been, but there's still too much political espionage and patriotism for what this is actually interested in (and excels at): Wet streets and bloody noses. Never really gets better than its opening action sequence, with its acrobatics and outrunning of machine-gun fire, but that's an extremely high bar with plenty of room to limbo under comfortably.

• GurrenCharlie

★★★★ Added by GurrenCharlie

Ahhh!! Donnie Yen is the shit!

• Audrey Karloff

★★★½ Watched by Audrey Karloff 16 Aug, 2015

Straight-up superhero movie, with Donnie Yen as a sort of Captain China. This and Chow Yun-Fat's The Last Tycoon really make me want to study the history of Shanghai during the Japanese occupation: they're telling the same sort of story, and are set at the same time in the same place, and feature so many characters that are clearly the same but have different names, that I want to find out who was really there and what really went on.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★½ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 10 Sep, 2010

Andrew Lau, of Infernal Affairs fame pays tribute to Bruce Lee by reincarnating one of his most memorable characters in the formulaic yet passable The Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen. Donnie Yen, certainly the most prominent Hong Kong action star of the moment, has begun to star in a series of historical films, which consistently feature underdeveloped characters and too few action scenes. Over the last two years, he delivered two films loosely based on the…

• Sc8lo

★★½ Watched by Sc8lo 13 Sep, 2011

Was expecting better action. Strange story. All over the place.

• JD Frew

★★★ Watched by JD Frew 01 Jul, 2015

Film #7 of the Scavenger Hunt #4 Challenge
    Film that features parkour
    ___________________________________________________________

Donnie Yen, Anthony Wong, and Shu Qi. That's a dream team. It's a shame that the potential is squandered on a story that drags on between fight scenes. The action is great, there's just not enough of it.

• azathought

★★ Watched by azathought 30 Jun, 2015

Trying to be too many things at once. Propaganda start, wirework superpowers, Casablanca, homage to Fist of Legend, Batman movie. I was so confused I had to stop.

• Gavin Rye

★★½ Watched by Gavin Rye 25 Apr, 2015

Legend of the fist really suffers from a lack of action as the story that unfolds certainly isn't enough to carry the film for it's length. What action there is, is just superb as Donnie yen is on ton form pulling off impossible moves using wire work and if the film had a few more of these, it could have been a classic. I liked the super hero idea too in the real world of war. The film looked pretty good too with some superb lighting. It's a missed opportunity.

• Sam

★★ Watched by Sam 11 Apr, 2015

A boring mess with barely any fight scenes for a Donnie Yen movie and very convoluted subplots. At least it looks good and is colorful at times.

• Owen Hughes

★★★ Watched by Owen Hughes 24 Jan, 2015

Continuing my kung-fu film binge recently I wanted to catch up on a few Donnie Yen movies I'd overlooked. I saw this was available, and as I quite enjoy both Jet Li's Fist of Legend and of course Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, I figured I might as well give this a go too.

It's absolutely bizarre. And I'm not just talking about Yen's 50 Shades of Grey all-leather gimp Kato outfit. The plot seems to be all over the…