• SCC Overton

★★★★ Watched by SCC Overton 24 Nov, 2015

Wow. This film really has everything. It's a Cannon film, it's got vampires, zombies and space monsters, it's set in the UK with loads of London-getting-blown-up bits, it's got Patrick Stewart (saying the word "naughty"), it's got great SFX, and - sorry to say it - it's got Mathilda May naked for almost all of her screentime. This is definitely a film I wish I'd watched when I was a teenager. I think it would have knocked me out. Pure entertainment.

• oobawa

★★ Rewatched by oobawa 16 Nov, 2015

Adventures in the DVD Wallet #23

More of a fascinating cautionary tale than an enjoyable bad movie, Tobe Hooper’s 1985 budget-blowing, genre-bending, prudence-defying space vampire zombie (spambie?) fiasco proves to be one of the more befuddling epic bombs of the Eighties. Based less in bad choices than in utterly inexplicable ones, Lifeforce stands as a plethora of blunders, misjudging everything from the film’s plot to its scope to its audience to just who in the hell’s supposed to…

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 21 Nov, 2015 3

Just bonkers. A stunning vampiress who appears nude most of the time (thank you-p) is picked up in space, winds up in England, and provokes a zombie apocalypse. Tobe Hopper's film features cheesy, but imaginative special effects, and for the first half is genuinely intriguing, as it boldly mixes concepts and cinematic tropes in new and interesting ways, but loses coherence as it goes on... and on (at least in the longer European cut, which is what I saw).

• rossboyask

★★★ Watched by rossboyask 21 Nov, 2015

Utterly bonkers, bewb-laden space vampire hokum. It's fucking excellent.

• Alexei Toliopoulos

★★½ Watched by Alexei Toliopoulos 19 Nov, 2015 1

Completely bananas, but so crazy it is fascinating! Genre jumping is compelling.

• Robbie G

★★★ Watched by Robbie G 16 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Watched this to prepare for an episode of How Did This Get Made? Not quite 'next level bonkers' but pretty silly. The guy who played Duane Berry on XFiles has to angrily fight making out with an unconscious Jean Luc Picard, a gigantic, H.R. Geiger castoff wiener floats through space sucking up the blue energy from Ghostbusters, bone thin dust vampires shoot lighting out of their eyes and airbrushed 80's boobs have more screen time than most actor's faces... I would be lying if I said I didn't legit enjoy this movie.

• David Dougan

★★★ Watched by David Dougan 16 Nov, 2015

I can't tell if Lifeforce is really brilliant or absolute garbage, it might even be both at the same time.

Either way, it's completely nuts.

• Sarah Z

★½ Watched by Sarah Z 12 Nov, 2015

Ugly, boring and incomprehensible.

• Shay Casey

★★ Watched by Shay Casey 15 Nov, 2015

Watched this in preparation for the "How Did This Get Made?" podcast.

It seems like this film has experienced a kind of rehabilitation since it originally bombed out at the box office back in 1985. More than a few cinephiles are now willing to praise it for having an original vision and being an outside-the-box cult classic. I will concede that the film definitely is original and outside-the-box stuff . . . but it is also not, unfortunately, particularly good.…

• Treefar

★★★½ Watched by Treefar 15 Nov, 2015

*Watched for the How Did This Get Made? podcast*

I don't even know how to quantify this viewing experience into words. Some of the craziest shit ever to be put on screen. It's definitely not a very good film but I can't say I didn't enjoy the shit out of it.

• An Angry Bear

★★★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 15 Nov, 2015

I feel like most horror directors have a very uneven career that usually ends very poorly. I can't tell which uneven end of Tobe Hooper's career this falls into.

• HP_Lovecat

★★ Watched by HP_Lovecat 14 Nov, 2015

Kooky! I'm glad Dan O'Bannon's script for Alien went through major overhauls, and I'm glad the lead actor in this never had any other major roles. The effects really elevate this otherwise slog of a film.