• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 23 May, 2015

Going into this movie I knew I would like it because it blended some of my very favorite things:
    -Japanese culture
    -Night films
    -and of course Bill m-f'in Murray
    This film did not disappoint even though I am still very perplexed by it and curious of it's true intention. I loved the simplicity and melancholic tone of the entire film. Murray's performance is obvious amazing and this is by far my favorite role of Johansson's. The use of Tokyo as…

• Torida Totojani

★★★★★ Watched by Torida Totojani 24 Sep, 2014

god i love this movie so much
    one of my all time favorites

• beckmaka

★★★★ Added by beckmaka

Top 20

• Jon Gordon

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jon Gordon 19 May, 2015

A film so lauded you want to deny its excellence, but it's just so lovely, you can't.

If you try hard, of course, you could point to the minimal, quite underwhelming, script; the Japanese stereotyping; the sense of entitlement you sometimes get from these pampered Americans in Tokyo.

But these cavils are as nothing when set beside the performance of Bill Murray: one of delicacy, truth and a perfect balance between sadness and resignation. He tones down his usual brand…

• Justin Scott

★★★ Added by Justin Scott

Bill Murray gave me the confidence to cut my long hair off in this movie

• CharlieMcCrary

★★★★½ Watched by CharlieMcCrary 15 May, 2015

I kept hearing how emotional this movie was for a longtime and it wasn't until the last few scenes where it really sunk in. I feel like this is one of those movies I have to watch a second time so that I can see it from the beginning with a new perspective.

• Sean

★★½ Added by Sean

After watching this film, I can honestly say it is one of the most overrated movies I've seen.

• Salvatore98

★★★★★ Watched by Salvatore98 15 May, 2015

Fuck it. 5/5. I fell in love with this right here. This is such a delightful film, Johansson is so fvcking adorable. This movie will stick with me for a long time, I've been thinking about it constantly. One thing's for sure, this is Sofia Coppola's masterpiece.

• nicole

★★★★½ Rewatched by nicole 14 May, 2015

i like this movie more and more w every rewatch. it def has some racist stuff with like the misunderstandings at the photo shoot and whatever but overall it's a good film and i really don't think sofia coppola had bad intentions while making it so like. it's bothersome but it's not a complete disaster. ANYWAY i love this movie more and more every time i watch it. the setting is beautiful and i love love love love how distinctive of her most of it is. i can't even put into words everything i love about it. thank u sofia 4 this.

• goneguru

★★★★★ Watched by goneguru 14 May, 2015

Simply the coolest, comfiest movie ever

• Adam Silverman

★★★ Watched by Adam Silverman 12 May, 2015

this is a good movie held back slightly by its approach to "alien" culture. the film is, despite being entirely in tokyo, completely western––and japanese culture (and even physical characteristics, like shorter average height) is played off consistently for laughs. the film is at its strongest when it and the characters have a mature relationship to highly distinct cultures. some of the fish-out-of-water humor really works, other times (like the elevator scene) just feel like cheap shots that are really more for "us" to enjoy than for "them". film should aspire to a more universal language.

• murrddocks