• Lixorr

★★★½ Watched by Lixorr 28 Jul, 2016

Lost in Scarlett Johansson's eyes.

• Max

Watched by Max 25 Jul, 2016

i've repeatedly been unable to finish this before because of various stylistic choices that i found too off-putting to sit through, and the forced emphasis on the r and l confusion (RMAO amirite) is exceptionally painful to watch ~as an asian american~. the glorification of traditional japanese culture and the relatively superficial gloss over contemporary japanese culture is also a letdown - you get a sense there was a lot of missed potential here.

on the plus side, i enjoyed…

• Cocohorse

Watched by Cocohorse 25 Jul, 2016

ok i'll probably end up deleting this review but honestly?? i was really looking forward to this but 20 minutes in i shut it off. maybe i'll try rewatching and finishing this, but not today. i'm tired of this kind of shit. the japanese characters were too much. i know their "other-ness" is the whole fucking point of the movie, but maybe this movie's fucking point sucks. i don't want to see white people™ fucking disrespect asians and their accents…

• Luke

★★★★★ Watched by Luke 24 Jul, 2016

Probably one of the most critically acclaimed movies that I hadn't seen, and it completely lived up to the high expectations I had for it. The atmosphere of this movie is just incredible. I'm so interested in Japanese culture, it's one of those places that I know I'll definitely visit someday, and this movie has just convinced me even further that I have to go there. It's not especially unique or original, but this is one of those movies that I just can't find anything wrong with. It's funny, it's serious, Scarlett Johansson is in it, and Bill Murray sings. I loved it.

• Mathías

★★★ Watched by Mathías 28 Sep, 2015

Watched: 1/1
    Performances: 2/3
    Screenplay: 1/3
    Direction: 2/3

Rating: 6/10

I've read great reviews about this film, but I think it just got halfway my expectations.

• Jeanine

★★★★½ Watched by Jeanine 22 Jul, 2016

The Scene

After a long flight and an even longer photoshoot Bob Harris (Bill Murray) finds himself as possibly one of the least excited men in history to find a prostitute at his door. The woman who almost looks like she works for the hotel first offers a suggestive "massage" then she implores Murray's character to "lip" her stockings. Unamused Murray seeks clarification in an almost mocking way until the realization comes that she means rip. This failure of communication…

• John Barlow

★★★★ Watched by John Barlow 23 Jul, 2016

I'm really homesick and wearied out from traveling, so this movie really resonated with me.

• Tom King

★★★★★ Watched by Tom King 23 Jul, 2016

Perfect in every way.

• ingo

★★★★ Watched by ingo 23 Jul, 2016

it's very similar to in the mood for love but less obscure and with a different style. I liked it. all of the miscommunication stuff is great. bill murray is kind of a dick though

• Joshua The Great

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joshua The Great 22 Jul, 2016 2

Let me not say something about my depression. I'm going to end up regretting it.

10/10

• Shawna of the Shire

★★★★★ Rewatched by Shawna of the Shire 21 Jul, 2016

What a beautifully agonizing film.
    It was like watching Carol but before that special new years day. Unreal chemistry and attraction but also an unreal amount of restraint. It's like Bob and Charlotte are so keen of not wanting to be a "homewrecker that it became so agonizing to watch them play it safe.

• tahlia

★★★★½ Watched by tahlia 21 Jul, 2016

A rather simple film, yet it's true beauty really comes out from this factor. I'd even say it has a relaxed or serene feel to it, which adds to the purely gorgeous cinematography and stellar screenplay and direction from Sofia Coppola  to make one gorgeous piece of work.