• dani0obscuri

★★★ Watched by dani0obscuri 25 Sep, 2016

The good: Sophia Coppola's ability to capture those moments that exist within some kind of limit, a particular condition, a constraint within which relationships can paradoxically emancipate themselves from the restrictions of the day-to-day, the familiar. The ability of these moments to translate into a kind of freedom to exist unidentified in relationship, ability to not fit into existing modes of definition in relationships...

The bad: basically everything about the representation of Japanese culture... and the inclusion of the 'bimbo female friend of husband' trope

• eersojyn

★★ Watched by eersojyn 25 Sep, 2016

yikes, directed and written by sofia coppola

• Samuel Hunter

★★★★ Added by Samuel Hunter

If you were to combine Silver Linings Playbook and Notting Hill into one movie, you would have Lost In Translation. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson combine for a very awkward and uncertain friendship/romance. Certainly worthy of a watch.

• Sam Monks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Monks 22 Sep, 2016

God damn love it!

• Steven Flores

Rewatched by Steven Flores 21 Sep, 2016

"I don't want to leave" "Then stay with me right here. We'll start a jazz band".

Best Film.... EVER!!!!!!!!

• niceguys

★★★★½ Rewatched by niceguys 21 Sep, 2016

I AM SO UPSET I FORGOT I LIKED THIS SO MUCH!!

(also, happy bday to my true dad bill murray, much love)

• Jon Jarocki

★★★★★ Watched by Jon Jarocki 21 Sep, 2016

10/10

A movie of beauty and wonder, of lost souls amidst an exciting city, this movie...this world is entrancing, it's captivating. I never wanted to leave.

• Melody

★★★ Watched by Melody 21 Sep, 2016

probably going to expand upon this later - this is mostly just noted to myself.

lost in translation is a movie about two characters who share a certain unlikable-ness that makes them relatable; they are the small pretentious voice inside each of us that makes us cynical, makes us into lite-misanthropes.

this is pretty much the basis of their characters. although they may be relatable, it is largely because they're both assholes. i hate them for similar reasons i hate…

• Ben Lane

★★★★★ Watched by Ben Lane 20 Sep, 2016

My favorite thing about this movie was when the glass elevator containing Charlotte closed, leaving only the reflection of the hotel bellboy with Bob's luggage, representing the distinction between what we want in life contrasted with the life we choose for ourselves.

Murray has never been better and Coppola's direction is vivid and lively.

Kind of a marvel.

• rena

★★★★ Watched by rena 19 Sep, 2016

I'm Japanese and my name, Rena, is pronounced Lana. didn't laugh at the "lip my stockings" joke because the fucked R/L pronounciation is the bane of my life :) :) :) but I love this movie anyway and Sofia Coppola is my hero <3

• David

★★★½ Rewatched by David 19 Sep, 2016

There's a lot I like about this. Johansson and Murray are great and Coppola's aesthetic is irresistible, but it doesn't always fully engage me on an emotional level.

• Liam Hicks

★★★½ Added by Liam Hicks

Bill Murray plays another sad old man who drinks a lot... sick, still enjoyed this though.