• Steven Flores

Rewatched by Steven Flores 21 Sep, 2014

For relaxing times... make it Suntory time.

LiT.... BEST FILM EVER MADE.

• Zakko

★★★★ Watched by Zakko 16 Sep, 2014

Ich war überrascht von dem Film, ich hatte ihn mir doch ein wenig ernster und langweiliger vorgestellt. Die Probleme die zwischen der westlichen und japanischen Kultur auftreten sind wunderbar dargestellt und oft auch sehr komisch. Die Beziehung zwischen den beiden Hauptcharakteren ist seht interessant, unüblich (keine 0815 Liebesgeschichte die man schon zum 1000. mal gesehen hat) und sie bleibt bis zum ende hin spannend. Das die Schauspielerischen Leistungen von Scarlett Johansson und Bill Murry fantastisch sind muss man eigentlich nicht erwähnen.

• Cinemole

★★½ Rewatched by Cinemole 19 Sep, 2014

Watched this for the first time since I was 13- it's not as good as I remembered. In some parts, the portrayal of Japanese people borders on the offensive and there are far too many scenes of Murray and Johannson walking around tourist attractions in what I presume Sofia Coppola thinks is showing us "the real Japan" (all irrelevant to the little plot the film has).

• Connor Delaney

★★★★★ Watched by Connor Delaney 16 Sep, 2014

I figured since I liked Somewhere, I would like this movie.

I loved this movie right of the bat. I like Sofia Coppola's work. This movie, especially, was one of those movies where you get real empathetic for the characters, especially for Scarlett Johansson's character: a foreign girl in a foreign land. The feelings and emotions, for me at least, continued even after the film was over.

• Ruth

★★★★ Watched by Ruth 21 Jul, 2014 5

As far as modern cinema goes, this was arguably among my biggest unseen films to date. Ultimately, it was about what I had expected (and given its been two months since watching it, my memory of the film is already becoming very hazy). A sublime effort, complete with both the vigour and boredom of youth. Sofia Coppola's film does capture the curious universe and human experience of inner-city hotel life, from one unfamiliar city to another. The more Japanese specific…

• UberReviews

★★★★★ Watched by UberReviews 19 Sep, 2014

Shit, where do I start with this review? This was fucking beautiful.

Bill Murray, you da man!
    Johannson you are amazing in everything you do, but shit. This just put you as one of my favourite actresses ever.

This was a fucking beautiful work of heart. Not even Anna Farris could stop this from being a masterpiece.

10/10

• Funnyguy

★★★★½ Watched by Funnyguy 17 Sep, 2014

Lost in translation is a masterful piece of cinema. The theme is simple, but also intelligent and important about how people can live in isolation even though they are surrounded by people and got close relations, because they're not with the right people. This is done perfectly with the complex character portrayels by Scarlett and Murrey. Especially Scarlett's character was perfectly written and acted - and someone I can imagine being a reflection on Sofia's own personality.

Being a huge…

• femesmo

★★★★★ Watched by femesmo 20 Jun, 2014

Beautiful Sofia Coppola's film... and there is Scarlett Johhanson!

• Richard Killiam

★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Killiam 02 Sep, 2014

Not insensitive to what the critics call inherent xenophobia and American narcissism in these characters, but I don't think it matters. The film attempts to get an emotional tone across and succeeds; the atmosphere is really something special. But I'm never going to be fully objective when Kevin Shields is involved.

• Adam Cadre

★★★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 02 Mar, 2004

• Jorge

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jorge 14 Sep, 2014

Tremenda película que expresa de una forma extraordinaria el cansancio al que se llega en la vida, el madurar, los cambios significativos y lo que significan (Matrimonio, hijos...). La necesidad del cambio contrapuesta a la gravedad que ejerce la estabilidad. No deja atrás preguntas tan humanas como el para qué existimos, qué pretendemos hacer con nuestras vidas.

Todo ello orquestado perfectamente por Sofía Coppola y situado en el extravagante marco de Tokyo que ayuda a poner en contexto la situación de los protagonistas.

Excelentes Bill y Scarlet.

• Danny Wolfe

★★★★★ Added by Danny Wolfe

I really need to watch more Sofia Coppola films. This is the first and only that I've seen from her, but I plan on changing that very soon. I really shouldn't count these as reviews, they're more like me saying obvious things about the movie. But nonetheless, it's a very interesting look at how two people in similarly shitty relationships can bond and fall in love(?)((still not sure about that)) and lose track of their problems for a little while. A lot of people would complain about the ending, but if you ask me, it couldn't logically end any other way.