• Dan Bremner

★★ Watched by Dan Bremner 23 Mar, 2016 1

Emotionally manipulative garbage with a suprisingly decent performance from a usually terrible Gerard Butler and some solid and raw action scenes.

I knew what I was in for, but I feel there could have been a much better film here had the direction been under someone that wasn't the guy who did Quantum of Solace. Not a great title either, I imagine a lot of people would have gone in expecting an explotation film about a crazy preacher with a penchant for machine guns. Now that, I would of loved.

Stick to Beasts of No Nation

• Aaron

Watched by Aaron 16 Mar, 2016

Important subject matter, but other than a few points it is not very engaging.

• Otiose

★★½ Watched by Otiose 06 Mar, 2016

The film tells the story of Sam Childers, a former drug-dealing biker who finds God and becomes a crusader for the children of South Sudan against the atrocities of the Lord's Resistance Army.

• JackRabbit_

★★★½ Watched by Iggyy 26 Dec, 2015

7/10..

• Ghostsmut

★★ Watched by Ghostsmut 14 Dec, 2015

This one is a tough film to like. Whilst not only dealing with genocide it frequently repeats itself by punctuating many scenes with even worse tragedy. I mean, sometimes you only need to see child massacres once.

It's not helped by focussing so heavily on Butler's character thar we don't get any perspective on the story. I assume that's because it's based on a true story.

Butler gives a good performance but his character is a horrid human being who turns his life around, finds God, then goes to help African children. If that's more than you think you can stomach I'd best avoid.

• Patrick Mulcahy

★½ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 01 Sep, 2011

The subject of an extensive profile in Vanity Fair, Sam Childers is a reformed felon from Pennsylvania who simply turned his aggression in a different direction: to hunt down Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army, said to be responsible for tens of thousands of child abductions in Northern Uganda and Southern Sudan. As Childers himself put it, ‘in 1992 I found God, in 1998 I found Satan.’ Childers has his own church, an orphanage in Nimule, a…

• Pandora 4

★★½ Added by Pandora 4

The title and poster make it look like an exploitation flick, and the film honestly feels like one at times. I'm just not sure what it intended to exploit. Sam Childers (Gerald Butler) is an ex- convict who turns around his life, develops an obsession over Jesus and, for some reason, orphaned African kids. So he becomes a missionary and preacher in Africa, basically abandoning his wife and daughter at home. He builds a school where orphans can live, but…

• seasondays

★★ Watched by seasondays 04 Feb, 2012

so long, so repetitive; it is an exhausting experience that lacks any kind of focus that seems more determined to move you to tears than to show you a good film.

• Mads Dahl Mølgaard Madsen

★★★½ Added by Mads Dahl Mølgaard Madsen

Spændende film! Fin præstation af Gerard Butler! Filmen giver et råt og interessant billede af brutale kampe for overlevelse i Afrika, og et splittet og uskønt forhold mellem at være præst i en amerikansk kirke og være en selvtægtig beskytter af uskyldige afrikanere. Filmen var så speciel, og hovedkarakterens ud-/afvikling så interessant, at jeg bør se den igen engang, og filmen er klart anbefalelsesværdig!

• alexbhades

★★ Watched by alexbhades 21 May, 2012

Sentimentaloide, procristiana, previsible.
    No es que sea una mala película, es que no aporta nada.

• Si Sharp

★★ Watched by Si Sharp 10 Jul, 2015

Clumsily put together and overlong true story. Butler does his best, but the there's just not enough to his character to care about, which is an astonishing achievement for such an incredible story.

The film unfolds with the subtlety a AK-47, and there's no real plot beyond the pitch.