• markusinnocenti

★★ Watched by markusinnocenti 16 Aug, 2014

Mmmh. Christians in Africa with Guns. Let me think about that for a minute.

• Fish

★★★ Watched by Fish 03 Jul, 2014

With a hectic work schedule and actually socialising a lot, my film watching had slowed to an almost halt recently. So, first of all, a recap of the reviews I had neglected to post. First up; 'Machine Gun Preacher'.

I won't let, I hadn't done my research on this one, and was expecting an action flick. Can't blame me for expecting that with Butler starring. Regardless of expectations, I was pleasantly surprised.

Machine Gun Preacher is certainly contrived, but it…

• nicktday

★★ Watched by nicktday 24 May, 2014

Mostly lousy film with unsympathetic characters in a messy narrative that never feels like it has substance to it's tribulations. Until around the last twenty minutes when one of the orphan kids speaks and the film begins to address it's subject matter head on.

• Lazuardi

★½ Watched by Lazuardi 16 May, 2014

Machine Gun Preacher tried to show a humanist storytelling and good example of individual as Gerard Butler Character. But behind it, very weak story plot kills audience mood into beneath level

• Devon Seltzer

★★ Watched by Devon Seltzer 23 Mar, 2014 2

If you think Machine Gun Preacher sounds like the new mascot for the American Tea Party movement, then you aren't too far off. Telling the story of an ex-con who finds religion and decides to build an orphanage in Sudan, Machine Gun Preacher is a pretty messy film with some real highs and lows throughout its 2+ hour runtime.

As I always feel the need to do with these true story inspired films, I must point out that the message…

• Boost

★★★½ Added by Boost

"Think of the children!" This biker did, and that's why his daughter didn't get to ride in a limo. I had forgotten about KONY 2012 until I saw this. Butler and Shannon are great. It's a bit long, but they needed to do that to show the contrast in locations and lifestyles. Awesome directing, an enjoyable drama.

• Andrew K

★★ Watched by Andrew K 28 Feb, 2014 2

It is rare that I would recommend a movie that isn't all that good, but I feel like people should see this movie. Until a documentary is released, if you don't want to read his book, this is how you can learn about an amazing story.

while the title would have worked a few years ago, with the revival of the Grindhouse genre, it comes off misleading. This is a bio-pic of a remarkable man: a former con/drug addict/bad dude…

• Felipe

★★★★ Watched by Felipe 23 Feb, 2014

Hit hard.

• lunaris

★★★½ Watched by lunaris 31 Jan, 2014

What's my moral obligation?

• Kinta

★★ Watched by Kinta 18 Dec, 2013

Machen wir es kurz viel Potential wurde gnadenlos verschenkt. So bleibt nicht viel mehr als ein müder Klon von Rambo 3 und das will der Film sicherlich nicht sein.

• Stuart Barr

★★ Added by Stuart Barr

Based on a true story, Machine Gun Preacher is about Sam Childers (Butler) who at the beginning is the film is being released from prison. Childers is introduced as a violent thuggish biker, drug addict, and abusive husband. No sooner has he returned to the trailer park in which his family live than he is out shooting up heroine and robbing drug dealers at gunpoint with his even more screwed up friend Donnie (an extremely cast to type Michael Shannon).…

• Ian Woolstencroft

★★★ Watched by Ian Woolstencroft 25 Apr, 2013

A far better film than I was expecting given the hash Marc Foster made of Quantum of Solace. Nice to see the Gerard Butler can still act when given the chance.