• crabnoir

★★★ Watched by crabnoir 06 Dec, 2016

A great well written book, a wonderful cast, a truly horrific and dramatic story, slightly disappointing movie. Somehow the end product didn't add up to the sum of its parts.

• Lasse Rask Bach

★★½ Watched by Lasse Rask Bach 04 Dec, 2016

I've seen it all before, because guess what? Capitalism in movies is always ageing men in suits making cynical decisions. However, something I've not seen before is the one guy, who buries his dog in one of the most heavy-handed symbolisms ever.

• Belfry

★★½ Watched by Belfry 24 Nov, 2016

It was interesting watching this movie about the Great Recession from a single company's point of view. However the movie lacks direction and tension at times, and it seems like there are some significant sound issues.

View

• Alex Gidley (The King in the North)

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Gidley (The King in the North) 21 Nov, 2016

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat"

I don't think there's a more fitting double bill in existence than The Big Short and Margin Call.

• ZakkeuZ

★★★ Watched by ZakkeuZ 06 Nov, 2016

This was such an fascinating glimpse into the backstage of the origins of the global economic crisis of 2008. The acting was superb, as you'd expect from such a great ensemble cast. The writing was stellar as well. A very cool and interesting film. It would be kind of nice to see more films like this one.

• MichaelEternity

★★★★ Watched by MichaelEternity 02 Nov, 2016 1

Mike and Dave's Scavenger Hunt, Vol. 3! 10 Degrees of November Birthdays in Hollywood (A Salute to Dave) | Penn Badgley (11/1) - Stanley Tucci (11/11)

Among all the kinds of movies I've long dreamed of making someday is a thunderous adult drama where scores of actors yell and argue dramatically at one another for some important reason, a la "Glengarry Glen Ross", "Any Given Sunday, "12 Angry Men", or the intense parts of Aaron Sorkin scripts. Just give a…

• Eilidh Morris

★½ Watched by Eilidh Morris 14 Nov, 2016

"thriller"
    "THRILLER"

a really, really uneventful film. The big short would be more of a thriller than this but even that isn't a thriller
    also audio doesn't usually bother me but the mixing on it is really weird (at least how it appears on netflix anyway), like the technician has just gone "let's just mute this through this entire scene cause no-ones talking")
    it all takes place (or 95%) in the same place and usually i like that, especially with a decent cast which this kind of has too?

I DUNNO MAN
    THEM VIBES
    not for me

• Chris House

★★★½ Added by Chris House

Intriguing in its broad ideas but lackluster in its minutia. I understood the general ideas and moral quandaries the film posed, but what about the details? What EXACTLY was going on? What does this company even DO? I understand that in the grand scheme all of that doesn't really matter, but it leaves the film feeling too opaque. Nevertheless, I was entertained. Spacey and Irons give Oscar-worthy performances and the whole thing is quite well made. I just needed the movie to meet me halfway.

• Michael Dennos

★★½ Watched by Michael Dennos 30 Sep, 2016 2

Margin Call is one of those movies that sports an impressive cast and more than capable direction, but the material just doesn't grab you the way it should. The performances kept my attention well enough, but at the same time, the story that they were supporting (while it started out kind of interesting) quickly devolves into a slew of business jargon that becomes stale, despite the obvious relevance of what they're talking about. I don't think there's any denying the…

• Mista West

★★★½ Watched by Mista West 21 Oct, 2016

Ya fucked it guys

• oolalaa

★★★½ Watched by oolalaa 22 Oct, 2016

20/30

• thecloudycritic

★★★★½ Watched by thecloudycritic 02 Oct, 2016

Rewatched the excellent Margin Call for the 7th time! Chandor captains a tight ship with of the most engaging screenplays in recent memory, brought to life with true panache by an impressive ensemble. Evidently Irons, Spacey, and Bettany are the standouts, but it's hard to fault any member of this cast. Looking fwd to seeing what Chandor comes up with next , following All is Lost & A Most Violent Year.