• Patrick Jensen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Jensen 28 Aug, 2016

A wide shot of New York City with a fish-eye lens. This is how Margin Call starts. It is not only a shot that marks a great beginning for the career of a potential auteur in J.C. Chandor, but it is also a microcosm of the entire film. New York City is a diverse, yet expensive city to live in, and it's financial centre is about to burst. This is one shot that works as great foreshadowing for what is…

• Hemant Naidu

★★★★ Rewatched by Hemant Naidu 21 Aug, 2016

When you get a look at how high rollers in the investments game justify screwing their fellow citizens over for a few bucks.

• Chris Vroman

★★★ Added by Chris Vroman

The most fascinating movie that only people with a background in finance will be able to fully understand.

• qutarantino

★★★★ Watched by qutarantino 18 Aug, 2016

83 / 100

• dmin

★★★½ Watched by dmin 09 Aug, 2016

Its been superceded by The Big Short, but this story of the financial crisis is well worth a watch; thanks to its tight script, great cast and their performances.

• Blacktus Jack

★★★ Watched by Blacktus Jack 04 Aug, 2016

Of the movies I've seen lately, one of my absolute favourites was a little movie called "All Is Lost". Though this movie shares its writer/director credit with that one, I feel like the two couldn't possibly be further apart.

J.C. Chandor is a really odd filmmaker to me, having now seen all of his (completed) films, I can't seem to pinpoint any particular voice between them. Margin Call has some similarities to "A Most Violent Year", but even those aren't…

• aavama

★★★★ Watched by aavama 03 Aug, 2016

Oh my god how I love processes and hierarchies. Chandor spends a good third of the film just slowly digging through all the layers of the company, and then slowly and meticulously readies us and the firm for the inevitable. And then the actual sale is over in two minutes.

And, on top how sharp and intelligent it is, Margin Call also looks phenomenal. Frank DeMarco shot All Is Lost as well.

• David Alcubierre

★★★½ Watched by David Alcubierre 30 Jul, 2016

Sobre el día en que caen los mercados y los entresijos de las personas que están detrás del día a día de estos.

• Joseph Manning

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Manning 23 Jul, 2016

If The Big Short was the film that made me want to punch a banker, Margin Call is the one that made me want to take the banker home, give him/her a warm bowl of soup and a hug.

Set over the course of 36 hours, the film tells the story of the people who saw the 2008 economic crash coming and used it for their gain. The film is excellent at establishing the feeling of impending doom, and the…

• james_martins

★★½ Watched by james_martins 19 Jul, 2016

MARGIN CALL tells a similar story to the big short but isn't as exciting. I never felt emotionally invested into these characters and felt their conversations on what was happening were very general and broad. Overall a mediocre and boring film.

• karlrydholm

★★★★★ Rewatched by karlrydholm 16 Jul, 2016

Bästa skildringen av finanskrisen på film kanske om Wall street överhuvudtaget. Jeremy Irons är fantastisk. Borde fått större genomslag. Mycket bättre och tätare än Wall street och Wolf of Wall street.

• Will Cundall

★★★ Watched by Will Cundall 12 Jul, 2016

Margin Call was...interesting, but I must admit it didn't draw me in as much as I expected. Its not that I dislike this film which deals with the 07-08 financial crisis in a fictional Wall Street investment bank, but I never fully invested in the overall picture. Personality wise these are well fleshed out characters, in the pretty short running time you come to know them pretty well. I just didn't fully get into and fully feel some of the…