• Brad Siefert

★★★★★

I really like films that happen over a short period of time and this film fits that bill. The whole film maybe takes place over the time span of 48 hours max and the breakneck speed of the film is gripping. Wonderfully cast and acted, I love how this film creates stakes and pulls off its conclusion. The Jeremy Irons entrance in this film is one of my favorite entrances to a film ever.

• Jonathan

★★½

Feels a bit like a made-for-TV movie, albeit one with a stellar cast.

Tucci, Spacey, and Bettany all solid.

• Chris

★★★★

Great movie about the financial crisis, manages to keep you engaged throughout the film. Also, Spacey plays a good guy and still knocks it out of the park, which is cool to see if you're used to his usual type of character

• Chris Jones

★★★

Another stunning example of the directors work. Pairs perfectly with A Most Violent Year!

• Tom Watchorn

What stood out most to me was that, as the big numbers fast become what the characters don't understand (or don't want to understand), slipping out of their grasp and forcing them for a time to fleetingly confront the ethics of their actions, these people fall back onto discussing the numbers can comprehend. Ages. Wages. Numbers with palpable, corporeal attachments. They spend all their days with stocks, these 'unreal' numbers, and so they have no way to frame their comprehension…

• Joseph

Did J. C. Chandor really just use an Economist reading The Economist as exposition?

• The39thMan

★★★★

This movie passed my by on its release, only discovering it after watching The Big Short. While it doesn't have the mise-en-scène (or ridiculous wigs) of that movie, it's no less engaging as a relatively straightforward drama about the desperate attempt to save an unnamed corporation (undoubtedly Goldman Sachs) from financial collapse.

• Ryan

★★★½

Solid drama about the start of the 2008 financial crisis. I have to wonder how it would play to someone with no knowledge of mortgage backed securities or sub-prime lending, though. I'm no expert, but I've done enough reading to know the gist, so that helped to inform what everyone was talking about. If you didn't know that stuff I feel like this film would be quite a bore and possibly very confusing.

• Paola F.

★★½

When the crisis is about to start quick desicions are a most. How big shots decide the world's future in a matter of hours.

• Caleb Steele

The Big Short but set in reality. Boring as hell during, but it gets better every second I think about it afterwards. Praise be to J.C. Chandor.

• Cj Bonfante

★★★★½

A more straight-forward, "realistic" film about the 2008 financial collapse than "The Big Short," this is a pretty great movie with a stacked cast who all deliver.

Paul Bettany and Stanley Tucci play the two characters who we learn the least about, but somehow feel the most developed by the end. Kevin Spacey is Kevin Spacey, so it's no surprise that he is excellent. This is one of the few films I've seen Jeremy Irons in, but he was an…

• Josef Rodriguez

★★★½

This is a decidedly unsexy dramatization of the 2008 crash and - unlike The Big Short - isn't out to entertain as much as inform. That said, Margin Call is more of a performance movie than anything, and the collective work of Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Paul Bettany, Zachary Quinto, and Stanley Tucci results in some powerful stuff.

I guess this just isn't a movie I would really want to watch again.