• Mathías

Performances: 2/3
    Screenplay: 1/3
    Direction: 2/3

Rating: 6/10

This is a good film about economic crisis showed from the side of the people that found out that something wrong was going on. The performances are great and the way the story evolves is excellent. Still, it has a lot of economic terms and expressions which might lead to some confusion in audience.

• Shouji

★★★½ Added by Shouji

Great movie! Like the other side of Big Short. But what Bank were they supposed to be working for? Bear Sterns? Goldman Sachs?

• bones

★★★★ Watched by bones 13 Sep, 2016

I'm not an economics buff...okay I know crap about economics but I enjoyed this. And Zach looked so good.

• Alexander Waldemar

★★★½ Watched by Alexander Waldemar 13 Sep, 2016

It's okay that a film uses lots of technical terms and talk about professional mumbo-jumbo that goes far above my head, but when a third of the film consists of trying to explain what's going on to the audience, and I still haven't got a clue what their talking about, then it's an issue.

Margin Call tried to explain (I'm guessing) the financial crisis before The Big Short, and I still understand very little about what actually happened. But Margin…

• paul

★★★★ Watched by paul 10 Sep, 2016

Once upon a time, years and years ago (2008 seems like eons) – there was a financial meltdown that was caused in no small part by banks and investment brokerages dealing in sub-prime loans. Their motis was to buy these iffy loans (sold originally to people whose ability to pay once their teaser rates expired was suspect) and then package them with other more acceptable commodities and sell off to another firm – this back and forth feeding frenzy of…

• Matthew Simpson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matthew Simpson 09 Sep, 2016

The writing and direction here is pretty spectacular.  It's a film about men in board rooms arguing about whether to fall or to jump off a cliff, and that pretty compelling when you have such a great group of actors.
    The ensemble here is stellar, but an extra half star for Jeremy Irons and his magnificent voice (and hair).

• TheSaintOfTous

★★★ Rewatched by TheSaintOfTous 08 Sep, 2016

The dog is the housing market.

• Caleb Boersma

★★★★ Watched by Caleb Boersma 06 Sep, 2016

Margin Call is deeply immersive thanks to the tremendous direction and fantastic cast.

• Chris Ortman

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Ortman 06 Sep, 2016

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

While I cannot speak to the accuracy of the depiction of one firm’s collapse during financial crisis of 2008, what I can say about writer and director J.C. Chandor’s debut is that it looks, feels and sounds authentic. The only flaw I can find in this financial drama is that Chandor tries a bit too hard to turn this expose into a thriller.…

• Patrick Jensen

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Jensen 28 Aug, 2016 2

A wide shot of New York City with a fish-eye lens. This is how Margin Call starts. It is not only a shot that marks a great beginning for the career of a potential auteur in J.C. Chandor, but it is also a microcosm of the entire film. New York City is a diverse, yet expensive city to live in, and it's financial centre is about to burst. This is one shot that works as great foreshadowing for what is…

• Hemant Naidu

★★★★ Rewatched by Hemant Naidu 21 Aug, 2016

When you get a look at how high rollers in the investments game justify screwing their fellow citizens over for a few bucks.

• Chris Vroman

★★★ Added by Chris Vroman

The most fascinating movie that only people with a background in finance will be able to fully understand.