• Thief12

★★★★ Watched by Thief12 17 Apr, 2014

I don't know much about Wall Street and stocks, but dammit, if this film didn't make a thrill out of a bunch of meetings with executives. Finely acted by a damn fine cast (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Demi Moore, Stanley Tucci, etc.), tightly written and directed, the film chronicles a brief period that precludes the stock crash of 2007. The film lasts almost 2 hours, but it really went like a breeze.

• Suzanne Moses

★★★★★ Added by Suzanne Moses

I hadn't heard anything about this movie before I picked it out from Netflix one day I was home sick. It's really wonderful and a good watch for anyone who has looked into, or is interested, in the crash.

• Jack McPherson

★★★½ Watched by Jack McPherson 16 Apr, 2014

The Anti-Wolf of Wall Street. This seems destined to end up as a cult item due to its hardcore jargon and slow dirge like pace. Which is a shame as the financial crisis as a slow descent into hell may be the best angle from which to approach.

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 05 Apr, 2014

STORY 4/5
    WRITING 4.5/5
    ACTING 4.5/5
    MUSIC 4/5
    CINEMATOGRAPHY 4/5

While it's slow, it's extremely well-written with an absolutely amazing cast. The cinematography is crisp and entertaining all by itself. Margin Call is a dark, intelligent, well-cast piece of art that easily bests J.C. Chandor's later work, All is Lost.

• Daniel O'Raw

★★★½ Watched by Daniel O'Raw 01 Apr, 2014

MONEY the film.

Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany and Jeremy Irons were the stand outs.

Some say that Kevin Spacey is still digging....

• Brendan Jones

★★★ Added by Brendan Jones

Very well acted & makes an interesting story out of what is mostly just numbers & reports. Not great, but very good.
    Compare this one to The Social Network, Boiler Room & Glengarry Glen Ross.

• fordmadoxfraud

★★★½ Watched by fordmadoxfraud 31 Mar, 2014

Huh. People are right. This IS one of the greatest Wall Street movies you'll ever see. This falls into the category of things I'd forgotten about long ago, and were just sitting in my torrent queue. It took me maybe a half hour to realize it was about the credit default swaps scandal. There's a pervasive dread and foreboding here that feels authentic and real. It's basically a less over-the-top Boiler Room, minus Vin Diesel.

• Jack

★★★★ Watched by Jack 30 Mar, 2014

The aesthetic of this film is awesome. It mirrors the cold, anaesthetised professional detachment that's a necessity of the participation in shady Wall Street dealings. JC Chandor uses digital photography like Soderbergh or Mann; he accepts that it cannot rival celluloid for sheer beauty, but it always gets the job done, and a kind of clinical naturalism can be found in the way it is so businesslike. To use the latter adjective to describe Margin Call is no coincidence. The…

• Dave

★★★★½ Added by Dave

Wall Street jargon tends to confuse me. All of this recession-speak makes my head spin. "Margin Call," a corporate thriller about key strategists at an investment bank who make life-changing discoveries and decisions in a 24-hour period, made me feel like a smart person. I knew exactly what was happening; I understood the crisis, the dilemma, the stakes. JC Chandler’s script – which was nominated for an Oscar – was sparse, tight and utterly absorbing. And wow, what a cast! So good to see Kevin Spacey in a juicy role again. And Irons, Tucci, Bettany, Moore – incredible work from all of them.

• DGBreezy

★★★ Added by DGBreezy

‘Margin Call’ is a movie that focuses on the beginning of the financial crisis that has been affecting hundreds of companies around the world, starring by talented actors, like Kevin Spacey, Stanly Tucci, Jeremy Irons and Spock.. Ok, Zachary Quinto, nevertheless the film was really boring to me, because, even though it has an impressive Screenplay, the plot never caught me completely, it’s was interesting, but not thrilling.

I think my biggest problem with this film is, that you know…

• Ruth

★★★★ Watched by Ruth 20 Mar, 2014

Beautiful script, astonishing ensemble and important subject. In one scene it eclipses what The Wolf of Wall Street cannot do in 3 hours. THE stock market film, beautiful realism.

• Kevin Lu

★★½ Added by Kevin Lu

a tragic love story of a man and his dog