• Stu

★★★½ Watched by Stu 28 Apr, 2016

J.C. Chandor’s debut film is set inside a large Wall Street investment bank during the very early stages of the 2007/08 financial crisis, and to a certain extent it’s about the heartlessness and harshness of the financial industry, as well as the singular, driven nature of some of those who work – or who did work – within it. It opens with a mass redundancy. Paul Bettany’s head trader has seen it all before and has some simple, sage advice…

• phreak2day

★★½ Watched by phreak2day 26 Apr, 2016

After watching The Big Short this was just too flat and too uninteresting. But, come to think of it, it probably would have been just the same either way.

• Edgar

★★★½ Added by Edgar

When Mitt Romney campaigned for President in 2012 he was quoted in saying "Corporations are people too." I bet he'd love this movie, cause goddamn Margin Call does a good job of doing just that.

• Catra Wardhana

★★★★ Watched by Catra Wardhana 18 Mar, 2016

If you want a compelling drama set in the world of finance, give it a try!

• Nik

★★★★ Watched by Nik 08 Apr, 2016

A more tonally consistent, focused, and honest take on the beginning of the 2008 housing bubble than The Big Short. Some artistic license and exaggeration is taken to expand the thesis of the movie into something palatably thrilling and exciting, but if that's what it takes to maintain the interest of "normal" people, then I'm on board.

A lone sociopath is not sufficient to destroy an economy; it takes an army of people whose individual greed veiled as necessity is enough to remain complicit in disastrously harmful actions.

• jakeryan

★★★ Watched by jakeryan 06 Apr, 2016

I like how the first half (from Quinto's discovery to Jeremy Irons' first appearance) is like an extended version of that joke from Hot Fuzz where they keep going up the chain of command - from Freeman to Coogan to Nighy. Kinda wish it just kept going, ending up with the president or something

• Synt

★★★ Rewatched by Synt 04 Apr, 2016

Between 2.5 and 3 stars for me. It's an enjoyable film that's fun but sadly held back by a terrible script.

Between the cringe-worthy quip based dialogue, the sophomoric attempts at depth in scenes (Quinto and Badgley being yuppies lamenting over whether strippers earn as much as they do in comparison being a particular moment) and a general lack of explanation or even understanding of what's happening in the script makes the whole film come off as very first timer.

• Minty

★★★★ Rewatched by Minty 05 Apr, 2016

Come for a slick, well-made film about numbers, banking & financial disaster. Stay for a far more powerful study of morality and basic human nature.

Can't praise this script enough. Chandor nails it.

• Kat

★★★ Watched by Kat 29 Mar, 2016

"I don't get any of this stuff." I can relate. However, I have to say that this is a pretty solid movie regardless. Even if there's a lot of talk that goes past my head, it's still pretty good.

• Christian Cable

★★½ Watched by Christian Cable 01 Apr, 2016

Bank crisis adventures

• Hold'en

★★★ Added by Hold'en

Great cast and writing but too fuckin technical, even economists must get bored with this.

• Frankco Lamerikx

★★★★½ Rewatched by Frankco Lamerikx 01 Apr, 2016

This is the third time I've seen this film, and it just keeps getting better all the time. Surely this will be hailed as a classic in the future, the one film that nailed the atmosphere on the eve of the financial crisis of 2008 (or the next one, which may just be right around the corner). It's even better than The Big Short (2015), which by the way is also a movie I would wholeheartedly recommend to those who…