• fatpie42

★★★★½ Rewatched by fatpie42 01 Sep, 2014

This only becomes more remarkable on each watch. I think the symbolism of the final scene is a bit much, but apart from that there is not a minute wasted in this drama concerning the beginnings of the global recession of 2008. Paul Bettany gets to do some of his best work here, Kevin Spacey also provides a pretty great performance and there's a great refreshingly grounded performance from Zachary Quinto in between his performances as vulcans and super-villains. This…

• WhiteLady3

★★★★ Watched by WhiteLady3 31 Aug, 2014

I never thought I could enjoy a movie about the high finance world but I did. Ok, some bits were a bit confusing when one's not accustomed to the terms or even know what investment banks *actually* do (what they sell, to whom... or maybe it's just me) but since it's such a current theme on news for the last 7 or 8 years it wasn't that hard to follow and understand what was happening. The actors also did a…

• Agnis

★★★★ Watched by Agnis 24 Aug, 2014

This completely surprised me. I was expecting something very dry and looking like a thousand other movies. But the story held up along with the tension. Well done.

• Joe Bloggs

Watched by Joe Bloggs 25 Jan, 2011

Fly-on-the-Wall-Street

• John Watt

★★½ Added by John Watt

This movie's portfolio is full of good acting stock but most of the actors seem tired or uninterested. Maybe they are distracted by the memories of all the money they lost in the real financial crisis.

• Michael Camilleri

★★★½ Watched by Michael Camilleri 14 Aug, 2014

Despite what you might think for a film set at the start of the financial crisis, it feels like remarkably little actually happens. And when every character is an investment banker, I cannot imagine how the pitch ever succeeded. But when the cast is this good (Spacey, Irons, Tucci, Moore, Bettany, Quinto), you honestly will not care. The real triumph of the film is in depicting each banker as a fully realised person: in turns despicable, admirable and pathetic.

• fengypants

★★★½ Watched by fengypants 09 Aug, 2014

Lots of great actors on the poster, but I only decided to watch this after reading an interview with Steven Soderbergh:

I saw Margin Call, twice in 36 hours, and thought, why isn’t that as big as sex, lies? I watched it with my wife, and we ordered it again two days later. I just thought that movie was great. Why didn’t that gross $25 million?

And what makes even less sense than Hollywood? The financial industry.

• Charlie Derry

★★★ Watched by Charlie Derry 06 Aug, 2014

A drama circling the 2008 recession, I had very little interest in this film so unfortunately my attention wasn't held very well.

• Alexson Philipiah

★★★½ Added by Alexson Philipiah 2

A solid drama circling the 2008 recession which caused damages that are still being felt today for various families, except this film tells the story from the perspective of the stock brokers and how unforeseeable it was. It started off so well with its slick editing, camera work and solid performances but it slowly ends up becoming rather boring and then adds in some sentimental moments that kind of felt aimless with an ending that didn't seem very appropriate but had a somewhat chilling nature.

Rating: 72/100

• Josephus

★★★★ Watched by Josephus 04 Aug, 2014

Probably only slightly exaggerated. Margin Call succeeds every second in transmitting the coldness of the financial system, the cynicism of the players and the total lack of compassion. It's an artificial world, all bridges to the real world are burnt.

A great criticism on the capitalistic system that manages to stay clear of hopeless Occupy activism while being entertaining at the same time.

• Jack Dignan

★★★½ Added by Jack Dignan

Solid performances, great dialogue and a fast pace help to make Margin Call a beyond watchable movie.

• Carolinanz

★★★ Added by Carolinanz

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat"