• tavomama

★★★★½ Watched by Thomas 25 Jan, 2015

"Be careful."

• sdb_1970

★★½ Watched by sdb_1970 25 Jan, 2015

Margin Call is an impressively cast little morality play - centered on Wall Street just prior to the financial collapse of 2008, like a kind of Crucible - although it's dialogue often betrays that this is also a first feature film (writer/director J.C. Chandor).

• Ferre Rodriguez

★★★ Watched by Ferre Rodriguez 25 Jan, 2015

(Esto no es una crítica sobre esta película, simplemente una serie de ideas vagamente conectadas a las que llevo dando vueltas algún tiempo, que me han vuelto a venir a la cabeza viendo esto y que estoy intentando ordenar para intentar explicarme a mi mismo porque algunas cosas me funcionan en el cine, en el arte, en la cultura y en la crítica y otras no me funcionan tanto. Así que la mayoría del tiempo no voy a hablar de…

• Stephen Smith

★★★½ Watched by Stephen Smith 24 Jan, 2015

A gripping thriller crafted from the real-life events of the 2008 financial crisis. Dramatic and self-consciously "important" without being reductive or simplistic (a balance that enjoyable films like Wall Street and Boiler Room haven't been able to strike). Given the fact that the movie is essentially a series of tense conference room conversations, it's kind of unbelievable that writer/director J.C. Chandor followed up this film with the nearly silent (and superior) All is Lost. Allison and I watched as homework for his recently released Most Violent Year, which I'm anticipating even more now.

• Sam

★★★★ Watched by Sam 23 Jan, 2015

Very well-acted and incredibly well-cast, though not nearly as technical as I was hoping for and expecting. For anyone without a background on what happened to firms like this one in 2008, the information you're told is too vague to know what is really going on. In this way, the film serves better as a character study into the different types of personalities in the finance world.

Honorable mention goes to Paul Bettany, especially during his conversation with Seth on the drive back to the office.

• Jack Cox

★★★★ Watched by Jack Cox 23 Jan, 2015

J.C. Chandor delivers with an outstanding debut, but the biggest problem with the film is that it's cloaked in large amounts of Wall Street and financial speak that people who aren't traders will get completely lost in and fail to understand.

First of all the greatest strength of this film is it's superb cast of actors any time you can get Jeremy Irons, Kevin Spacey and Stanley Tucci in a movie together, you are doing it right. The film takes…

• Parker Jackson

★★★ Watched by Parker Jackson 22 Jan, 2015

So after seeing A Most Violent Year and being disappointed with it I decided I'd go back and watch one of J.C Chandor's other movies, that being Margin Call. While I still don't think I can say I liked it there is a lot of good stuff and it is very well directed, written and acted. It is very smoothly shot and has an interesting premise, and it also has a fantastic cast that includes Kevin Spacey (who is one…

• Alec Price

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alec Price 21 Jan, 2015

A disconcertingly convincing account of a fictional investment bank taking desperate measures on the eve of the financial crisis, writer-director J.C. Chandor's own initial public offering announced the arrival of a filmmaker of rare acuity, with the maturity and confidence of a seasoned veteran. The script veers between the functional density of industry speak and well-judged theatricality in the form of a series of tasty monologues that the impressive ensemble clearly relish. This is a brilliantly cast picture, with standout…

• Adam Arellano

★★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Arellano 22 Jan, 2015

Still holds up as a very fascinating look at corporate culture, survival, and the economy. The entire cast is hitting all cylinders. I cannot recommend this film enough times.

• Nealandkriz

★★★★ Added by Nealandkriz

What I like most about this movie is that the greatest act of compassion is made by a man who bemoans his dog.

• Emma Lane