• Tim Sterne

★★★ Watched by Tim Sterne 12 Feb, 2016

Where most finance films focus on outsize personalities and sexual and narcotic excess, Margin Call is refreshingly low-key and character-driven. From a somewhat laboured opening act it builds to an absorbing drama, helped by good performances all round.

• Brian Langenwalter

★★★★ Watched by Brian Langenwalter 12 Feb, 2016

A very enlightening and entertaining take on a stock trading company attempting to cover up its major failures. It's very engaging but it slightly fails to stick the landing.

• Robert Trott

★★★★ Watched by Robert Trott 09 Feb, 2016

Why I watched it:

Was recommended it at a job interview years ago.

What I liked:

Sharply written.
    Sharply acted.
    Paced well, makes time for human moments.

• Barvck Sanchez

★★★★ Watched by Barvck Sanchez 10 Feb, 2016

#30

• Aaron King

★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron King 07 Feb, 2016

All of the actors kill it in this film and some of them like Demi Moore give the best performances in her life.

• Conor Davenport

Watched by Conor Davenport 06 Feb, 2016

After the greed and the Wall Street evil fades, all we're left with is the thought that normal people are the real schmucks. Fuck normal people.

• Joe Bonelli

★★½ Watched by Joe Bonelli 06 Feb, 2016

Penn Badgley's acting career crashed as hard as the economy did.

• Paul Cryer

★★★½ Watched by Paul Cryer 04 Feb, 2016

Great cast in a decent fictional telling of the start of the 2008 crash from the point of the investment bankers. Workman like direction but the cast, story and script work well.

• 61gabester

★★★★ Watched by 61gabester 03 Feb, 2016

I've seen each of JC Chandor's films and they're each uniquely great. This one provided the alternate angle to The Big Short rather nicely and it was very enjoyable, given what I'd wanted out of it.

• WillumsFillum

★★★★ Watched by WillumsFillum 31 Jan, 2016

This tight thriller set in the hours leading up to the 2008 financial collapse works well thanks to a gripping story and excellent ensemble cast.

• bulletproofQpid

★★★★★ Rewatched by bulletproofQpid 30 Jan, 2016

"Jesus, Seth. Listen, if you really wanna do this with your life you have to believe you're necessary and you are. People wanna live like this in their cars and big fuckin' houses they can't even pay for, then you're necessary. The only reason that they all get to continue living like kings is cause we got our fingers on the scales in their favor. I take my hand off and then the whole world gets really fuckin' fair really…

• cam

★★★★★ Added by cam 1

This is my first Letterboxd review and while I'm aware this sort of reviewing is reserved for movies watched for the first time, I couldn't help but make my first review about one I began back in October of 2015 and finally finished this January.

I knew absolutely nothing about Margin Call or its director, J.C. Chandor, until a good friend of mine introduced it to me on social media. I began doing my homework of the movie, its well-known…