• jlwbrinson

★★★★ Added by jlwbrinson

I could not have been more surprised about how much I enjoyed this movie. Though I think the idea of a company realizing and deciding to exit its MBS products all in one night is a bit 'Hollywood', it still is an excellent movie because of the realism of the bank setting and because of the performances.

It is impressive to see the realistic bank setting that is created in the movie:
    1. The realistic office setting. NYC high-rise, but…

• elliotx

★★★★ Rewatched by elliotx 28 Sep, 2014

Good drama with a great cast, one can feel the tension ratchet up as it plays out, though I feel the ending does leave something to be desired. Still, it's entertaining!

• Nazeer Vawda

★★★★½ Watched by Nazeer Vawda 29 Sep, 2014 2

A fucking fantastic fictional take on how the fucking fuckers that fucked up the fucking economy, fucked up the fucking economy. Not using real fucking stories, but it damn well fucking seems like it. fuck

• kcooley

★★★★ Watched by kcooley 27 Sep, 2014

Really well done chronicle of an aspect of the 2007 financial debacle.
    Great acting from Spacey, Moore and Irons. Liked the cinematography. Nocturnal movie.

• Ghostsmut

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ghostsmut 27 Sep, 2014

Just watching BBC2 and this was on. Third time I've seen it and equally compelling as on first watch. As someone who has gone through (and, so far, survived) many redundancy cuts at the company I work for the opening scenes of mass layoffs genuinely makes me feel sick.

I can't rate this film any higher - it slams it's points home. Tackling both the mass greed of traders and the hypocrisy of us regular folk who criticise while perpetuating the cycle by buying nice cars and houses that we can't actually afford.

Flawless.

• Eugene McCrann

★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

Entertaining, but I can't exactly credit the film for enlightening me on any point, except that corporations alike are incredibly inefficient in divulging crucial information up the corporate ladder. Also ironic how the inefficiency lends itself to Chandor's script, which includes five characters too many - do we need each slightly varied corporate pigeonhole to be represented - especially when Chandor has to keep each one occupied through the night. At one point, Bettany (idealist in denial), Quinto (ignorant idealist),…

• John Connor

★★★½ Watched by John Connor 17 Mar, 2012

This low-key, talky financial drama does a lot right just by sticking really great actors in a room together, and it's at its best in its subtlest moments, when the fantastic cast take the script to another level. Considering the quality of most of the actors, those that aren't up to scratch really stand out. Occasionally the dialogue is over-written, but for the most part it's a horrible, tense, little chamber drama.

• Gonçalo

★★ Watched by Gonçalo 08 Sep, 2014

Some really strong dialogues in a film that relies too much on economic terminology.

• kyozoku

★★★★ Watched by kyozoku 06 Sep, 2014

• fatpie42

★★★★½ Rewatched by fatpie42 01 Sep, 2014

This only becomes more remarkable on each watch. I think the symbolism of the final scene is a bit much, but apart from that there is not a minute wasted in this drama concerning the beginnings of the global recession of 2008. Paul Bettany gets to do some of his best work here, Kevin Spacey also provides a pretty great performance and there's a great refreshingly grounded performance from Zachary Quinto in between his performances as vulcans and super-villains. This…

• WhiteLady3

★★★★ Watched by WhiteLady3 31 Aug, 2014

I never thought I could enjoy a movie about the high finance world but I did. Ok, some bits were a bit confusing when one's not accustomed to the terms or even know what investment banks *actually* do (what they sell, to whom... or maybe it's just me) but since it's such a current theme on news for the last 7 or 8 years it wasn't that hard to follow and understand what was happening. The actors also did a…

• Agnis

★★★★ Watched by Agnis 24 Aug, 2014

This completely surprised me. I was expecting something very dry and looking like a thousand other movies. But the story held up along with the tension. Well done.