• Willowaelfin

★★★★ Watched by Willowaelfin 25 Jul, 2015

Anchored by a mature, multi faceted performance from debutant Elizabeth Olsen, MMMM shows what can drive a person to a cult and the psychological damage that can result. The result is a remarkably powerful film that exudes a sense of pure dread throughout.

• mfulton

★★★½ Added by mfulton

B

• Quest

★★★ Added by Quest

So creepy. Love that there's practically no music used. I feel like the film is slowly but surely sucking the air out of the room. A hidden gem, but you're going to need a lot of patience to finish it.

• Alex Hawkhead

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Hawkhead 18 Jul, 2015

Hauntingly beautiful and intelligent critique on both cults and "normal" society.

• Jayson Quearry

★★★★ Watched by Jayson Quearry 15 Jul, 2015 2

“Do you ever have that feeling where you can’t tell if something’s a memory or if it’s something you dreamed?"

The divide between fact and fiction that Martha is questioning in the above line is where the tension and thematics of Martha Marcy May Marlene originate from.

Expanding on his short film Mary Last Seen, Sean Durkin translates the sense of dread and exploitation felt in that short to his feature length debut. Sharply assembled with hard and match cuts,…

• VeganBen

★★★★½ Rewatched by VeganBen 11 Jul, 2015

Absolutely loved this film when I saw it at the cinema. This was my first rewatch and I'm glad to say it's still as beautiful and chilling as the first time.

• Andy Moss

★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Moss 07 Jul, 2015

Well worth a second (or first watch). Who knows how much the awful and deliberately irritating title of this cost it in lost audience. You'd have thought indie film making was hard enough with out kicking yourself in the balls before you even start.

• FilmDoo

Added by FilmDoo

Martha Marcy May Marlene, a US drama shot in twenty days on a low budget, has more than meets the eye behind the facade of an extravagant title.

The movie centers on a young woman Martha (Elizabeth Olsen), who gets in touch with elder sister Lucy (Sarah Paulson) after two years of complete silence. Following a family reunion, she stays with Lucy and her husband Ted (Hugh Dancy) in their luxurious house by the lake. The couple is gradually alarmed…

• Marielba Bohórquez

★★★★★ Watched by Marielba Bohórquez 04 Jul, 2015

Después de ver esto, necesito a Elizabeth Olsen en más roles que le permitan demostrar lo grande que es. No puedo quejarme de nada.

• Jeff Schroeck

★★ Watched by Jeff Schroeck 01 Jul, 2015

I've never been part of a commune or cult, and to my knowledge I haven't been brainwashed, so like most people I'm coming at this film from a point of ignorance. I can only suppose or assume anything its accuracy or veracity, but never truly know it, at least not a fraction as well as I'd know the reality of a film about subjects I am more expert in, like music or anxiety.

Despite some great performances and neat camera…

• Alec Price

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alec Price 27 Jun, 2015 3

Remarkably assured first film from writer-director Sean Durkin, this is an unsettling exploration of paranoia and psychological trauma, featuring a stunning performance by Elizabeth Olsen in the lead role, that charts a young girl's breakdown following her escape from a cult.  The title is derived from the girl's various given names; Martha is her true name, Marcy May is the name bestowed upon her by cult leader Patrick (John Hawkes), and Marlene is the name all young women who also…

• Abby Gayle

★★★½ Watched by Abby Gayle 02 May, 2015

Elizabeth Olsen makes a startling debut as a young woman who escapes a cult and struggles back to normalcy in Sean Durkin’s harrowing psychological drama. Stripping its lead star of naivety for a revealingly complex role, MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE unmasks the workings of a cult through the broken and manipulated mind of Martha (Olsen) who reconnects with her sister, Lucy (Sarah Paulson), after abandoning the abusive cult ran by its beguiling leader, Patrick (John Hawkes). Implied to have a…