• nyk

Watched by nyk 21 Jul, 2014 1

Martha Marcy May Marlene was a film which I expected to be something and was completely something else. Take a look at the poster and read the title a couple of times mindlessly and have a vision about the film. I am pretty sure it wont be the one of the actual film. This is one of those rare films which seems to be better if you go in without watching the trailer.

The film is just about the paranoia…

• Boggy Creek

★★★★ Watched by Boggy Creek 19 Jul, 2014

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a beautifully shot film to mark Elizabeth Olsen's first lead in a feature by a stellar performance. With excellent transitions and the adoring vintage look, its technicals are strikingly fantastic and yet backed by Olsen's knockout and grueling depiction of a young adult in-and-out of a no good cult. Hat's off to her. She knows how to get the attention she needs.

• johncnoonan

★★★★ Added by johncnoonan

Told through a series of flashbacks, Martha Marcy May Marlene tells the story of Martha (Elizabeth Olsen), a tearaway who, for two years, has been living with a cult led by Patrick (John Hawkes); a man susceptible to spouting meaningless proverbs, wooing his nubile intake with soulful crooning and forcing himself upon them as part of their initiation. When we meet Martha, the honeymoon period appears to be well and truly over and, in the early morning, she’s run away…

• Anny

★★★★ Watched by Anny 10 Jul, 2014

Dream, reality and a super talented Olsen sister. Was this the director's first feature? Freaking hell, great camera work. So many great things in this movie that is so slow paced and minimalistic, great work in general.

• amyjackson

★★★★ Watched by amyjackson 09 Jul, 2014 2

REALLY liked this film, thought it was super creepy and atmospheric and had me literally running up the stairs to google the ending. would have liked to have spent more time at the cult though. best part!

• Natasha Cunha

★★★★½ Watched by Natasha Cunha 03 Jul, 2014

It blew me away, I already like Elizabeth Olsen as an actress but I haven't seen her in such a deep and disturbing movie, 2 thumbs up for her and the director.

This was one of the first movies on my watchlist, and I found here in our movies collection =), thank you letterboxd for making me "dig up" so many wonderful movies I had let pass by throughout the years...

• Ian Buckwalter

★★★★ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 24 Oct, 2011

Read my DCist review.

Also, I wrote about Durkin's use of music as a storytelling device in this essay at NPR.

• Joseph Brown

★★★★½ Watched by Joseph Brown 02 Jul, 2014

The littlest Olsen shows tremendous promise and ability as the titular (yes, all four names) character. The film is chilling, the cinematography haunting, and this is one of the most captivating films I've recently seen.
    More Elizabeth Olsen, please.

• Jameson Worley

★★★½ Watched by Jameson Worley 29 Jul, 2013

A pretty good little mystery thriller featuring a special debut performance from the immensely talented Elizabeth Olsen (who would have guessed?). Using a lot of flashbacks, the story is quite dark and haunting at times. The film leaves a lot left undeveloped, but overall it's a good movie. Worth seeing for the solid performances. Hated the ending.

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★★ Watched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 29 Jun, 2014

There is a line between ambiguous and lacking detail, and sadly, in my mind, Martha Marcy May Marlene lands in the latter half. While I take no issue with the structure of the film or the confusion or ambiguity that certain intentional exclusions sow, I do feel like that desire to keep things vague limited other parts of the film. In particular, Martha's (Elizabeth Olsen) and Lucy's (Sarah Paulson) relationship is sadly a bit lacking. When they fight, they have…

• Ross Showalter

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ross Showalter 27 Jun, 2014

Although the story is a little thinner than I originally thought (the director should just work from other screenplays), Sean Durkin's camera work is amazingly confident under a critical eye.

Although Elizabeth Olsen will always be the main draw. She should have been nominated for an Oscar for this role; this kind of believably raw performance practically demands awards, much more than the Oscar bait trotted out every fall.

• Andrew Swafford

Added by Andrew Swafford

A truly surreal sexual horror akin to Mulholland Dr or Funny Games. Elizabeth Olson is perfect in the main role. The film is essentially an exploration of control and patriarchy, set in the context of a brutal Appalachian cult.