• Patrick Mulcahy

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 18 Nov, 2011

My favourite line about cults comes from Scotland's Arnold Brown: 'I have a cult following. The cult following me at the moment is the Hare Krishna movement.'

This is the story of a young woman (Elizabeth Olson) drawn into a cult by a charismatic leader called Patrick (John Hawkes) who keeps changing her name. Gradually, she is drawn into housebreaking.

Director Sean Durkin cuts between Martha's time in the cult and life outside it with her sister. It is a film that is by turns absorbing and disturbing with a star-making performance by Olson.

• Laura

★★★★ Watched by Laura 05 Oct, 2015

Finally got around to watching this and I'm pleasently surprised. Great character study and portrayal of psychological trauma, no sense of self and just how manipulitive people can be to the point of literally brain washing. Strong performances from Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson and John Hawkes and brilliant direction by Sean Durking.

• Jacob Powell

★★★★½ Watched by Jacob Powell 25 Sep, 2015

As strong as ever Martha is an first rate study in psychological trauma, identity, and egocentrism. Elizabeth Olsen: where the hell did you come from??? So good. And is there a more surprisingly creepy actor than Brady Corbet? I'm struggling to think of that person. Count me Durkin'd.

• Jacob Powell

★★★★½ Watched by Jacob Powell 22 Jul, 2011

Martha Marcy May Marlene might be Sean Durkin’s debut feature, but it plays like the work of a seasoned auteur. Developed from his Cannes-winning 15-minute short, Mary Last Seen (2010), this tightly constructed psychological thriller features some standout performances; unsurprising, given Martha is comprised of the kind of writing and characterisation actors dream of sinking their teeth into.

One aspect of the film that struck me is the way in which Durkin models Martha’s narrative journey upon the protagonist’s own…

• warkie

★★★★ Watched by warkie 23 Sep, 2015

Brilliant simply brilliant

• Jacob Reader

★★★½ Watched by Jacob Reader 20 Sep, 2015

Creepy, beautifully shot and well-acted.

• Tarryn-tino

★★½ Watched by Tarryn-tino 20 Sep, 2015 2

I'm so annoyed! This could have been AMAZING!! And it just completely fell over at the end! Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk!

Elizabeth Olsen shone brightly in this film, she was really fantastic! I hope to see more movies like this with her in them, I think she really proved her worth here. The rest of the cast were really great too, I really like Sarah Paulson and John Hawkes is super underrated as an actor.

The plot had so much potential, but I…

• Nesdy

★★★ Watched by Nesdy 05 Sep, 2015

• zaidic

★★★ Watched by zaidic 02 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

OMG Martha! Why did you make that call? I know that you are a stupid teenager, but that was beyond retarded, Martha. You called the freaking murderers using your sister's home phone. Wow! No wonder your brother in law hates you. And you even interrupted them in their private moment too! Goddamn Martha.

If your answer is that you called them because you did not find your real family's mentality of any value and that got you pissed off. Then…

• Eli Isak

★★★★ Watched by Eli Isak 05 Sep, 2015

as someone who has PTSD, i related to this film so much and on levels that i cannot describe. it well portrays the sickness and paranoia felt after trauma and being shamed by others. it's very good to see non-military PTSD represented because it's so hard for me to find relatable content and to speak up about my own experiences when they're covered with stereotypes from most other media.

• lv426

Watched by lv426 03 Sep, 2015

other than the cast why did anybody like this nothing fucking happened

• Rohitavra Majumdar

★★★★ Added by Rohitavra Majumdar

"We're never really dead or alive; we just exist."

Do you like that particular kind of movies which take a bit time to sink in, then once you get into them, you feel intrigued? And after a while, you realize they are not what they seem to be, that is, you are being played. Your mind is getting metaphorically screwed. "Mind-fuck movies" is how we describe them. After you finish watching, you keep pondering about answers, you think about them,…