• Aniuxa

★★★★★ Rewatched by dpettinger 18 Apr, 2014

paranoid, uber-tense, compelling.

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"Martha" is her name. "Marcy May" is the name given to her by the leader of a cult group. "Marlene" is the name all the women in the group use to answer the telephone. The cult occupies a white frame farmhouse in rural New York state, where there are many more women than men, and all of them are under the control of the leader, Patrick. That this man is compelling and charismatic helps explain his power; softly, gently, maintaining…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 15 Mar, 2012

Well-shot and acted but ultimately hollow. The ending is complete bullshit too. I like a good ambiguous ending as much as the next guy, but here it simply doesn't work.

• Mycroft Watts

★★★★½ Watched by Mycroft Watts 20 Apr, 2014

Simple, subtle filmmaking that tells an engaging, heartbreaking story of paranoia, guilt, and alienation. Elizabeth Olson is simply magnificent. A jewel of a film.

• Ren

★★★★ Rewatched by Ren 16 Apr, 2014

• YingaGarten

★★ Watched by YingaGarten 16 Apr, 2014

Mediocre psychological drama with some decent acting and at times nice cinematography. I found it difficult to really connect with Martha as a character which didn't help at all.

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★ Watched by Evan Cogswell 12 Apr, 2014

The subtle cutting between storylines was a little difficult to follow at first, but once I got used to it, it was very effective at portraying Elizabeth Olsen's paranoia and the memories of her past two years in a cult, which begin to bleed into the new life she is attempting to live with her sister and brother-in-law. Olsen is terrific, John Hawkes is fittingly menacing and manipulative as the cult leader, (even though he was more menacing in Winter's…

• Rachel

★★★ Watched by Rachel 08 Apr, 2014

Well acted drama starring Elizabeth Olsen (younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley) as a young woman adjusting to live outside of an abusive cult. Olsen proves herself as an actress, upstaging anything from her older sisters.

• Evan Crean

★★★½ Added by Evan Crean

• Dnl Crnll

★★★½ Added by Dnl Crnll

This is a really creepy film. John Hawks is a great actor and very sinister in this. Kudos also to Elizabeth Olsen who is convincing as a lost soul victim to the fog of youth.