• Ren

★★★★ Rewatched by Ren 16 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• YingaGarten

★★ Watched by YingaGarten 16 Apr, 2014

Mediocre psychological drama with some decent acting and at times nice cinematography. I found it difficult to really connect with Martha as a character which didn't help at all.

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★ Watched by Evan Cogswell 12 Apr, 2014

The subtle cutting between storylines was a little difficult to follow at first, but once I got used to it, it was very effective at portraying Elizabeth Olsen's paranoia and the memories of her past two years in a cult, which begin to bleed into the new life she is attempting to live with her sister and brother-in-law. Olsen is terrific, John Hawkes is fittingly menacing and manipulative as the cult leader, (even though he was more menacing in Winter's…

• Rachel

★★★ Watched by Rachel 08 Apr, 2014

Well acted drama starring Elizabeth Olsen (younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley) as a young woman adjusting to live outside of an abusive cult. Olsen proves herself as an actress, upstaging anything from her older sisters.

• Evan Crean

★★★½ Added by Evan Crean

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Dnl Crnll

★★★½ Added by Dnl Crnll

This is a really creepy film. John Hawks is a great actor and very sinister in this. Kudos also to Elizabeth Olsen who is convincing as a lost soul victim to the fog of youth.

• jgarron

★★★½ Watched by jgarron 02 Apr, 2014

A great performance by Elizabeth Olsen really helped to elevate this slow, not that exciting story into something worth watching. I have kept hearing about the hype around Olsen following this film yet hadn't seen her in anything so I decided I might as well start where the praise did. The praise she has gotten for this performance is well deserved. With the story and character of someone being almost brainwashed by a cult and the paranoia and confusion of…

• Ricky Lee Everett

★★½ Watched by Ricky Lee Everett 30 Mar, 2014

Mildly entertaining and with a strong performance from Elisabeth Olsen, but the film just doesn't do enough explore the psychological aspect of the effects the lead character is going through or given enough to sell the cult elements of the film. Solid but very average on a whole.

• Matt Suppes

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Suppes 26 Mar, 2014

A slow movie that is engrossing for most of its runtime but gets into a bit of a slow spot (I know, I know) in the second half of act 2. Starts getting repetitive, and perhaps too enigmatic, but the performances and visual style displayed are enough to keep everything afloat. Olsen and Hawkes elevate what could have been a mundane movie into something bigger, stranger, and more terrifying.

• Carlos Rubi

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rubi 15 Mar, 2014

Eh, un buen esfuerzo de un director debutante. Historia sólida, actuaciones adecuadas. Pero, un tremendo plot hole: ¿cómo es tan fácil liberarse del culto? Claro, los daños psicológicos y sociales están ahí, pero el escape fue de lo más fácil. Uno se pregunta por qué no lo hizo antes Martha. Perdón, Marcy May. Perdón, Marlene. Bueno, ajá.

• YoYo

★★★½ Watched by YoYo 08 Mar, 2014

The editing is brilliant. It’s because the editing is so seamless why I didn’t realize I was watching two stories during different time lines playing out as memories in a mental disabled head. The direction is brilliant as well.

"You ever get that feeling where you can’t remember if something’s a memory or if it’s something you dreamed." — Liz Olsen as Martha

This line resonates with me because…Yes! I do get that feeling…and I can relate to some of…

• Kristhian Morales

★★½ Watched by Kristhian Morales 01 Mar, 2014 2

Interesting as a character study of a deeply troubled woman who's been through some tough shit. Great performance from Elizabeth Olsen, but ultimately less than the sum of its parts. I have no problem with ambiguous endings, but I think the movie would have benefited from an emotional resolution of Martha's arc. Ultimately disappointing.