• elias1026

★★★ Watched by elias1026 13 Nov, 2014 1

MOVIE A DAY FOR A YEAR - DAY 230

Slow moving and dark. Beautiful, although it seems that some parts went on for too long.

• Andrew Nichols

★★★★★ Added by Andrew Nichols

Excellent.

• moonlitfloor

★★★★ Watched by moonlitfloor 10 Jun, 2013

I have such a bad memory but I'm pretty sure that I really liked this film..

• Alice843

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alice843 16 Nov, 2014

Man, I love this film.

Perfection.

• Toomah

Added by Toomah

Well this movie just convinced me to never join a cult.

• Ian Smith

★★★★ Watched by Ian Smith 28 Oct, 2014 1

I think I really liked it but I'm still mulling that over somewhat

• Paul Davey

★★★★ Watched by Paul Davey 29 Oct, 2014

Well that's some acting.

• rifki amin

★★★★½ Watched by rifki amin 28 Oct, 2014

Looking for psycho? You could find this one.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 19 Oct, 2014

Even though it wasn’t very involving on an emotional level, Martha Marcy May Marlene was a rather interesting and absorbing psychological drama that was the result of ambitious, meditative, and taut filmmaking. It tells the story of a young woman who, after a two-year absence where she had no contact with her sister (her only relative), flees from the place she was staying to seek shelter with her sister, who is now married and living with her husband. Through revealing…

• Joey Seguin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joey Seguin 29 Oct, 2014

It's hard for me to write about this film because there's so much about it that I love. Sean Durkin's direction transcends the emotions of Olson's lead character and John Hawkes is at his best. His performance is like the movie, subtle, quiet and eerily compelling until it no longer is anymore.

One of the most frightening stories I can think of in recent years. Possibly my favourite ending of any movie ever.

• MovieMavenGal

★★★½ Added by MovieMavenGal

Saw the premiere at Sundance and had no idea what it would be like. An unbelievably creepy story of cult indoctrination and attempted escape and assimilation to "normal" life. John Hawkes plays the cult leader in a tour de force.

I was very impressed with Elizabeth Olsen in this, her debut film. I liked the ambiguous ending -- I hope that the ending I saw at Sundance remained in the theatrical release.

My husband, however, despised this film.

• waynewebb

★★★★ Watched by waynewebb 21 Oct, 2014

I'm not 100% sure what happened and what didn't especially at the end, but it was so well crafted and meticulously creepy that I'm not even sure that it matters.

Love Sarah Paulson at the best of times, so she was great in this painstakingly bleak, washed out and cinematic slice of bizarre life. Elizabeth Olsen is hard to believe. I mean it's hard to believe she's related to the other Olsens. She is painfully good.

John Hawks just knows…