• Viktor Prentovski

★★★★½ Watched by Viktor Prentovski 09 Jul, 2014

Part of Vprento’s Top 150 Movies of All-Time

I want to thank my cousin for recommending me this movie. It's really good. It started out on a farm with black people, and I though it was going to be the usual black race rights shite or whatever, but I was happily surprised. It's actually a really touching story about a Navy diver, the first black diver in fact, Carl Brashear. Cuba Gooding, Jr. is fantastic, his best performance. Robert DeNiro is pretty great too. The female performances are a bit weaker, but Men of Honor is still a really great and important movie.

• Cole Miller

★★★★ Watched by Cole Miller 27 Jun, 2014

I want my 12 steps, Cookie!

• ManBitesZombie

★★★ Watched by ManBitesZombie 05 Jun, 2014

First time watching this in years, and I am less than 10 minutes in and everything is so painfully Oscar-bait-y. The needlessly banal and overly-sentimental writing, the chessiest score in stuggling-against-oppression-biopic film history.
    Every line. Every shot. It's all just so stereotypical of this kind of fucking movie. 18 minutes in and what the fuck.

• Joel

★★★ Watched by Joel 26 May, 2014

Quite enjoyable, even if it has the look of a 1990's TV movie and is a rather old fashioned biopic. Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert De Niro are both good in this, but neither are excellent, perhaps due to a slightly lacklustre script. Considering the real life story on which it is based is quite amazing, it is a shame they did not do anything that new or interesting with it.

On a side note, the female supporting characters (the…

• Marcus

★★★½ Watched by Marcus 03 May, 2014

Men of Honor is based on a true story about Carl Brashear, an African American son of a poor farmer who doesn't want him to end up like himself. He tells him to leave, and never come back. Carl is joining the Navy.

As a colored man he faces a lot of problems, both because of the people around him, the leadership and the laws and regulations. This is a story about a man who never gives up.

• Dave

★★★★½ Added by Dave

After showing some remarkable skill in “Boyz N the Hood” and “Jerry Maguire,” Cuba Gooding, Jr. delivers the best work in his young career in this riveting, hugely entertaining drama. He’s a bullheaded blaze of talent with dreams of becoming the best U.S. Navy diver in history.

This true story features Robert DeNiro in his most satisfying performance in years, and the two actors, in their best moments, chew up the celluloid and you are enthralled by their charisma and energy.

A heartfelt, inspiring story, “Men of Honor” is a great movie-going experience.

• Vincent

★★★½ Watched by Vincent 23 Mar, 2014 1

De Niro steals the show. Great performance.

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★★ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 22 Mar, 2014

Really, quite brilliant. The stuff about how the Navy is so awesome made me roll my eyes at times, but both Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding, Jr. easily made me disregard this right after. Pretty fucking awesome scenes from both men, especially when they were both in it.

Hal Holbrook as the commanding officer with amaxophobia was really good. He was a damn good antagonist, it's a shame he wasn't around during the second half of the movie.

• Choccy55

★★★ Added by Choccy55

The story of Carl Brashear, the first African American, then also the first amputee, US Navy Diver and the man who trained him.

Average movie, not veering towards either good or bad. Too sentimental at times but DeNiro was good as usual.

• CarlosCarlos

★★½ Watched by CarlosCarlos 04 Jan, 2014

Había huido toda mi vida de esta cinta, la vi en el camión de Pachuca a DF y es en esencia una película para ver en el autobus, debe ser de los biopics mas chafas que he visto.

No le encuentro mucho que destacar mas que en esencia es palomera y cumple con eso de que cada media hora debe suceder algo relevante, el papel de Theron es lo mas intrascendente, Mel Gibson y Cuba Gooding Jr haciendo el mismo papel que les hemos visto otras veces.

• Jaketucker

★★★½ Watched by Jaketucker 26 Nov, 2013 1

Whatever happened to Cuba Gooding Jr's career?

Not a bad film, not a great film. Over long in areas, but it's a true story so I guess they couldn't just edit out the quiet parts. Inspirational diver though.

• Charlie Derry

★★★★ Rewatched by Charlie Derry 10 Nov, 2013

Such a great story, based loosely on a true story, and one that makes me cry several times. Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert De Niro are both excellent, and Charlize Theron has a good supporting role, too.