• Njabs Phungula

★★★½ Watched by Njabs Phungula 19 Jun, 2015

I'm not exactly sure what I was excepting from this movie but it was so underwhelming (especially for a Best Picture). Joe Buck and Ratso are two very interesting characters and the performances by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffmann are very good. The music sets the mood but the film itself doesn't do it justice. The incessant flashbacks did very little to support the story and the events they tease at are not explained at all. The 'Warhol-esque' party sequence…

• Daryl

★★★★ Watched by Daryl 19 Jun, 2015

Incredible performances from Voight and Hoffman in particular which carried this brilliant story forward. Gritty and grimy and shot perfectly well, the Academy got this one right.

• Raoul Groothuizen

★★★★½ Added by Raoul Groothuizen 1

"Faggot!!"

It's strange how controversial this movie must have been back in the day of its release, but how its characters and story are still funny and heartwarming in these modern days.
    It may be classic in the way of storytelling, but its experimental/weird moments (like the strange party and Joe Buck's flashbacks) makes it blast to watch.
    The characters of John Voight and Dustin Hoffman are very likable and the strange duo may be one of my favorite "partners in crime" in film history.

• Liam Haber

★★★½ Watched by Liam Haber 12 Jun, 2015

The Remainder #23: Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy is 46 years old this year, and I realize something about it that I've found true about a number of movies on AFI's List. This movie is not on the list because it is great. It didn't even win Best Picture because it is great. It is so highly regarded because it came out 46 years ago, not 31 years ago.
    I can't explain what it is about Midnight Cowboy that automatically makes…

• Cipriano

★★★★ Watched by Cipriano 12 Jun, 2015

The “American Dream” falling apart for a young Texas boy who goes to New York to become a cowboy. He represents the naive dreamer, embracing the easily believable fairy tail of success that surrounds the United States.
    This dreamer bumps into a wandering hustler trying to survive in the big jungle full of sharks that is New York. He certainly represents the loser.
    They somehow connect to one another, so from then on, a journey through realities of life takes…

• kuru

★★★★★ Added by kuru

top 10
    i am ratso

• Kyle Hoover

★★★½ Watched by Kyle Hoover 07 Jun, 2015

I did not know what to expect with this movie, but I did not expect this. Dustin Hoffman was amazing.

• Frank Collins

★★★★★ Rewatched by Frank Collins 06 Jun, 2015

The 1965 James Leo Herlihy novel Midnight Cowboy had already been rejected by the readers in the script development department at United Artists when British director John Schlesinger, fresh from his success on Darling (1965) and Far From The Madding Crowd (1967), took up its cause. Herlihy's tale of a young, failed hustler sucked into the down-at-heel vortex of New York low-life attracted Schlesinger's drive to tell very human, dramatic stories for the screen.

He found an ally in producer…

• JC13

★★★½ Watched by JC13 31 May, 2015

I only get carsick on boats."- Joe Buck

Midnight Cowboy won Best Picture for 1969. It has good music, good camerawork, but I didn't think the story was anything too special. That being said the film is carried by the performances of John Voight and Dustin Hoffman, who are both amazing in their given roles (especially Hoffman). They share wonderful chemistry and are the heart and soul of the film. In short they make it memorable. 7.5/10

• Steve Kimes

★★★★ Added by Steve Kimes

New York is Wonderland and Jon Voight is Alice.

• Jon Baum

★★★★★ Watched by Jon Baum 03 Jun, 2015

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. holy fuck

• Aziraphale

★★★★½ Watched by Aziraphale 13 Dec, 2014

Gee, well, you know, it's free. You don't have to steal it.