• Daniel Charchuk

★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 06 Oct, 2010

It's kind of a mess.

• Ethan Rosenberg

Watched by Ethan Rosenberg 06 Apr, 2014

Three words: About damn time.

One would think it would be hard to watch a movie about how dreams and aspirations can so quickly and easily be crushed, but Midnight Cowboy is utterly captivating from beginning to end. Featuring two all-time great performances and some of the most compelling -albeit unsubtle- drama that has ever been put to the screen, this is truly a milestone for American cinema. Never have I seen a movie that felt so loose and yet so meticulously refined.

• Carlos_Adama

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos_Adama 02 Apr, 2014

I wish Pretty Woman was more like this

• Logan Jones

★★★★★ Rewatched by Logan Jones 31 Mar, 2014 2

"Everybody's talking at me, I don't hear a word they're sayin'"

Second time watching Midnight Cowboy. First saw it a couple of years ago, and I liked it a lot, but this time round it was almost like a different film. The great thing about returning to films is you get to see things that you didn't see before, and that was certainly the case here.

The plot is a relatively simple one, as this is a much more character-driven…

• Eric

★★★★ Watched by Eric 07 Apr, 2011

The only X-rated film to ever win Best Picture, Midnight Cowboy is a bleak, upsetting work that memorably depicts urban isolationism and the ignorant, uncaring bourgeois society of the era. Comparing the film with recent Oscar contenders, it’s a depressing reminder of the lack of risk and tenacity in today’s mainstream entertainment. The film, essentially an immigrant tale, hasn’t lost any of its social relevance – the bright-eyed Joe Buck enthusiastically makes his way to the big city only before…

• Alan Williams

★★★★ Watched by Alan Williams 29 Mar, 2014

'Midnight Cowboy' is so very nearly the perfect movie. The performances are a flat but painfully accurate. The world we see is a world of broken dreams and terrible self esteem. Like Travis Bickle once said 'here all the animals come out at night - whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, sick, venal'. Also a a real rain gonna come and wash all this scum off the streets. Here is America's underbelly.

Joe Buck and Ratso are castaways…

• Evan Cogswell

★★★½ Watched by Evan Cogswell 27 Mar, 2014

Dustin Hoffman is incredible. And the hazily edited flashbacks intercut with the main narrative are very effective at establishing Voight's character. However, the rest of the film is slightly dated.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★★ Added by Tom Prankerd

Depressing and grimy, this isn't a film that's for all moods - watch it when you're already down and you'll hate it. The squalor and desperation of the characters is captured perfectly, while Voight and Hoffman turn in tremendous performances as a pair of misfits who forge a genuine friendship on the harsh streets.

• Nerijus Pudziuvelis

★★★★ Added by Nerijus Pudziuvelis

Everybodys talking – one of my favorite OST ever.

• Fesapo

★★★ Watched by Fesapo 02 Mar, 2014

61/100

• Chris Stanton

★★★★½ Rewatched by Chris Stanton 26 Feb, 2014

Hoffman is really heartbreaking and should've won the Oscar.

• mazzyhope815

★★★½ Watched by mazzyhope815 04 May, 2011

Dustin Hoffman was amazing in this. Probably the best performance of his I’ve seen, so far. Not a perfect movie, I could have done without the 23rd playing of ‘Everybody’s Talkin’, but the little friendship between Joe and Ratso is so sweet and heartwarming. Poor ol’ Ratso.