• LorneTaylor

★★★★½ Watched by LorneTaylor 24 Jan, 2015

This is a beautifully crafted piece of Avant Garde cinema. The way it tells a story is like nothing of its time. The film uses flashbacks to tell the story of the character Joe Buck and with the character Rizzo, they simply have him tell his story through a series of short monologues. This contrast works perfectly with the style of the movie. Dustin Hoffman is beautiful in this movie. Whenever he is in shot, the scene instantly becomes electric, especially in the close-ups. The complexity of the characters only drags you in more and the movie doesn't spoon feed you anything.

• Nik

★★★½ Watched by Nik 14 Jan, 2015

Hot on the heels on 1968's Best Picture winner, the only G-rated winner, "Oliver"; comes the only X-rated movie to win Best Picture. And their both similarly about making it in the mean city streets. This one is, admittedly, a *little* darker in tone.

Joe Buck is a Texas kid with bright eyes of going to New York City where he plans to make his riches making love to women. Or men, whatever. He just knows he's the best. Even…

• Ignacio Montalvo

★★★★½ Watched by Ignacio Montalvo 13 Jan, 2015

Cuando el sueño americano se desmorona. Dustin Hoffman y Jon Voight forman una pareja genial y ambos están fantásticos, sobretodo Voight. Me encanta cómo está filmado el Nueva York de los 70.

• Nick Chaney

★★★ Watched by Nick Chaney 09 Jan, 2015 2

This is definitely not the worst Best Picture winner I've seen, but it might be the strangest. The X rating must have hogged the spotlight, because I had no idea that the film was as bizarre as this, compared to most Best Picture Winners. One thing I must feel I should point out: I can't take Jon Voight seriously as an actor. It's not his fault, and he doesn't give a "bad" performance in this, per se. But his persona…

• kiwilanier

★★★½ Added by kiwilanier

Great film, but sort of gross. I wanted to take a shower after I finished it.

• Daniel

★★½ Added by Daniel

Waldo Salt's screenplay is truly excellent, in terms of characterization--the two protagonists as well as most of the secondary characters, are very vivdly and believably drawn--as well as in building a theme and creating a believable atmosphere. Hoffman and Voight, of course, are excellent as well, so different from anything else they ever did, but every bit as exciting. The supporting cast is great as well, especially Sylvia Miles (who turned into something of an avant-garde Agnes Moorehead) and Brenda…

• Joel Lake

★★★★½ Watched by Joel Lake 03 Jan, 2015

A film that combines the gritty big city (New York) feel of Taxi Driver with the often hypnotic and bizarre imagery and feel of Clockwork Orange. This along with the great performances of Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman (their chemistry is great) and one can definitely say they have a classic on their hands.
    The film is not for everyone with its often bizarre, intense and highly sexualized scenes integrated into a story of a young man trying to become…

• Carlos Riquelme

★★★★★ Added by Carlos Riquelme

Una película, 45 años después de hecha, sigue golpeando de la misma manera tiene derecho a llamarse Clásico, ¿no?

Midnight Cowboy es una poderosa historia de inocencia, ingenuidad, desilusión, sueños rotos, madurez, enfermedad y muerte. Dos inmensas actuaciones y una poderosa película hecha en 1969 que afecta de igual manera 46 años después. Impresionante.

• JuanCostrada

★★★★★ Watched by JuanCostrada 31 Dec, 2014

Midnight Cowboy features an unlikely friendship between a dim but pleasant gigolo who has a distorted view of the American Dream and a homeless cripple.

The performances are great and the film captures a grim world of broken dreams and people. The surreal aspects are handled well and the soundtrack is also great. It is also paced brilliantly with highs and lows making the inevitable destination uncertain.

The Costrada: A shoeshine gag sequence beats out crazy dog eyes, recycling flowers…

• Kate B.

★★★ Watched by Kate B. 28 Dec, 2014

I went into this film not knowing much about it other than it involved "hustling" in New York City. And that Dustin Hoffman was in it. It was surprisingly good. I was worried it would be extremely dated, but I generally found the "dated" aspects more culturally interesting than annoying. Some cliched editing tricks to show flashbacks and and day dreams that were probably not cliched at the time. Hoffman was overacting just a bit, but I did care about both of the characters. Overall a (cult?) classic that holds up pretty well.

• Richard Goddard

★★★★ Watched by Richard Goddard 26 Dec, 2014

Those sequences of what Joe & Ratso's lives could be like, slotted in between scenes of theor actual lives, are totally gorgeous, and those nightmare sequences are equally as powerful but in a more terrifying way. Great roles for both Hoffman & Voight here, definitely some of their finest and most iconic work, particularly Voight who manages to continuously break your heart purely with his eyes.

• amgurrola

★★★★½ Watched by amgurrola 25 Dec, 2014

The emotion in Tom Voight's face just melted my heart throughout. Wonderful, honest performances from both him and Dustin Hoffman. And how about that soundtrack? Both campy and mesmerizing. Truly beautiful film.