• Ian Salsbury

★★★½ Watched by Ian Salsbury 08 Oct, 2015

A seemingly happy go lucky chap packs up and leaves Texas for the bright lights of New York. He's convinced there's easy times ahead and plans to work as a hustler. However, life in the big city is notably harder than he suspects. He is initially ripped off by a local conman but goes on to form a lasting friendship with him as the pair attempt to make their fortune.

This is a pretty desperate affair, bleak and uncompromising throughout.…

• SamCricket

Added by SamCricket

Picked it up thinking it was a Clint Eastwood thing - my bad.

• JJ Perkins

★★★★½ Rewatched by JJ Perkins 28 Sep, 2015

I forget how incredibly impressionistic this film is, just outside of the Warhol-esque escapade.

• Jeff King

★★★ Watched by Jeff King 13 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Voight and Hoffman give excellent performances. Hoffman in particular really comes across as unlikable in the film. The film itself is good, but did not impress me. The drug-fueled party scene in particular, while not hard to follow, turned me off to the film. Something about the people involved being as obviously self-absorbed as they were. I realize that's the point, but it made it difficult to watch.

• Arne Hjorth Johansen

★★★ Watched by Arne Hjorth Johansen 25 Sep, 2015

Great acting. Great charachters. Quite overrated.

• sprizzle

★★★★ Watched by sprizzle 08 Sep, 2015

Country boy goes to the big city and loses his way. It's a story that's been experienced by thousands, told a million times, but never quite like this strange trip from 1969. New York City is so often a symbol of the symbol of the American dream, it's not always you get to see the darker side of things. When the dreams don't pan out and the hero ends up in the gutter. And you realize he was never a…

• The Film Fox

★★★★★ Watched by The Film Fox 31 Aug, 2015

I didn't expect this to be as funny as it was....I was expecting it to be gritty.....which it is....but Jon Voight is hilarious as the wide eyed cowboy moving to New York for his gigolo dreams.
    Possible inspiration for Withnail and I....

• Russell Limprecht

★★★★★ Added by Russell Limprecht

Top 10 all time.

• Gian Campos

★★★★★ Watched by Gian Campos 27 Aug, 2015

Hoffman genius deserved the Oscar, John Voight nice acting too....script awesome, know i wanna watch John waynes film to understand why he won it.

• Peter Gatt

★★½ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 21 Aug, 2015

Joe Buck [Jon Voight] goes to New York to become a Hustler and make his fortune he encounters "Ratso" Rizzo [Dustin Hoffman in my opinion his best performance] and things just deteriorate from there

A real journey of 2 people trying to stake their claim in a mad world and coincidently it end on a bus just like Hoffman's other iconic role in The Graduate

Trivia first X rated movie to win Best Film at the Oscars

• Dakotah Salazar

★★★★½ Added by Dakotah Salazar

An exploitive, controversial and disturbing look on New York Society between a crippled hustler and cowboy hooker who search for their "American Dream". Brilliant performances from Hoffman and Voight. The direction is supberb and there's a great energy and originality in its look and style. While very outdated it's still a technically well made film and worth the watch. Its all very depressing and thought provoking. It could leave a lot of viewers upset or confused on the ending. Its…

• Toby Leman

★★★★½ Added by Toby Leman

Films that challenge society and succeed in making a lasting impression are the films that transcend time. Midnight Cowboy is one of those films. It is the only X-rated film to ever have won the best picture at the Academy Awards, and it isn't difficult to see why.