• Luke Ibbetson

★★★★½ Watched by Luke Ibbetson 28 Aug, 2014

Beautiful story about two people who are completely lost in the world. Emotional and heart-wrenching. Written by the amazing Waldo Salt.

• fermion

★★★★½ Rewatched by fermion 26 Aug, 2014

Staying alive is ugly

• Balu

★★★★½ Watched by Balu 19 Aug, 2014

The relationship that develops between the two men is sentimental, yet the filmmakers are careful not to get mushy, and this gives the picture an edge it might not have had with a lesser director than Schlesinger
    The best thing is they portrayed the harsh reality of society, and alienation, with stellar performances by both Voight and Hoffman.

• The Ron

★★★½ Watched by The Ron 09 Aug, 2014

John Schlesinger's Midnight Cowboy is an unrelenting look at the seedy underbelly of urban American life. It's gritty and even disturbing at times, but Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman's performances were so damn good I found it hard to look away.

Jon Voight is Joe Buck, a naive young man from Texas who travels to New York with plans to make a lot of money as a male prostitute. It doesn't take long before Joe realizes things aren't going to…

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 08 Aug, 2014 1

• Sir Azid Ahmad

★★★★ Watched by Sir Azid Ahmad 02 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• DK

★★★★½ Rewatched by DK 02 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Tom Bannatyne

★★★★ Watched by Tom Bannatyne 27 Jun, 2014

'I only get carsick on boats.'

Midnight Cowboy is a film which manages to balance an emotionally draining power with a vigour and lust for life which are balanced by the two main characters. On the one hand there is Joe, full of optimism and hope, and on the other hand Ratso, someone who has already suffered a downward spiral and is both shabby and sickly. It is remarkable that the upbeat charm doesn't disrupt the darker moments, or vice…

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 26 Jul, 2014

A truly outstanding and provocative film about a Texan hustler and a crippled con-man who work together to survive the seedy area of New York City as it's one of the key films of New Hollywood and American cinema.

• Andy F.

★★★★½ Watched by Andy F. 26 Jul, 2014

I can understand criticisms of the film, and there are parts that don't seem to work- but Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman carry it, and there's a strong emotional center that pulls the film, which never goes away. We know what they want, why they want it, and what will happen if they don't get it, despite many details being spare. We get glimpses and hints of their past traumas, but we never understand it any better than they do. There's a beauty, a slowness to this film that never leaves it, from beginning to end.

• chelsea

★★★★★ Added by chelsea

really gay, it destroyed my soul, a must watch

• Dorico Williams

★★★★½ Watched by Dorico Williams 16 Jul, 2014 1

Amazing film.

The script isn't necessarily strong, but the things done here and how it all plays out are perfect. Tragic and beautiful at times, mostly tragic. But I think it ends on a good note in a way. Joe Buck is a completely different character by the film's end. He doesn't have all the answers, but he is wiser to the world and himself. Love how it begins and ends with a bus sequence.