• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 26 Jul, 2014

A truly outstanding and provocative film about a Texan hustler and a crippled con-man who work together to survive the seedy area of New York City as it's one of the key films of New Hollywood and American cinema.

• Andy F.

★★★★½ Watched by Andy F. 26 Jul, 2014

I can understand criticisms of the film, and there are parts that don't seem to work- but Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman carry it, and there's a strong emotional center that pulls the film, which never goes away. We know what they want, why they want it, and what will happen if they don't get it, despite many details being spare. We get glimpses and hints of their past traumas, but we never understand it any better than they do. There's a beauty, a slowness to this film that never leaves it, from beginning to end.

• chelsea

★★★★★ Added by chelsea

really gay, it destroyed my soul, a must watch

• Dorico Williams

★★★★½ Watched by Dorico Williams 16 Jul, 2014 1

Amazing film.

The script isn't necessarily strong, but the things done here and how it all plays out are perfect. Tragic and beautiful at times, mostly tragic. But I think it ends on a good note in a way. Joe Buck is a completely different character by the film's end. He doesn't have all the answers, but he is wiser to the world and himself. Love how it begins and ends with a bus sequence.

• Jacob

★★★★½ Added by Jacob

Dustin Hoffman's best performance.

• Mitch Anderson

★★★★ Watched by Mitch Anderson 02 Jul, 2014

Has some lapses in its energy and pacing (though Voight and Hoffman have great chemistry together, several of their scenes feel representative of the film's lapses into grimness for grimness' sake), but the high points, which almost resemble avant-garde and experimental films, are remarkable, and well worth seeing the film for. Next to The French Connection, Midnight Cowboy might be the most unorthodox Best Picture winner in Oscar history.

• Christian R

★★★★★ Watched by Christian R 22 Jun, 2014

It's been a while since I've seen this and even back then, I liked it. It's a gritty one led by two great characters in search of trying to make a successful life for themselves. Hoffman is truly the bigger of the two in this.

• maximumtim

★★★★ Watched by maximumtim 18 Jun, 2014

A great script that flows really well. I thought Dustin Hoffman was amazing in this. Like, his performance was a major acting achievement.

• Alex Krajci

★★★★ Watched by Alex Krajci 18 Jun, 2014

1969's Midnight Cowboy Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like It Because Dustin Hoffman Turned 75 Years Old In 2012 And Jon Voight Turned 75 Years Old Last Year In 2013.

• Ben Richards

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Richards 11 Apr, 2014

Sure it's depressing. But damn if it isn't one of the best acted, saddest films and most poignant films I've seen about life in the city since I first saw Taxi Driver. Essential viewing.

• Alex Krajci

★★★★ Watched by Alex Krajci 05 Jun, 2014

1969's Midnight Cowboy Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like It Because It's Turning 50 Years Old In 2019.

•  William of Letterboxd

★★★½ Watched by William of Letterboxd 01 Jun, 2014 3

Graham J's part of There's something about midnight...A CHALLENGE! : letterboxd.com/geeman81/list/theres-something-about-midnighta-challenge/

Changelle Accepted .... and Done!

Midnight Cowboy or: Lost In the Night, how is been translated for my country, Brazil. But I also dare to change for two possible titles: Fuck Up Cowboy / or: Mama advice to you don't go to NY to screw up rich ladies. I guess moms is been always right. I never laughed too much saying some fuck up man in my whole life.…