• Russell Limprecht

★★★★★ Added by Russell Limprecht

Top 10 all time.

• Gian Campos

★★★★★ Watched by Gian Campos 27 Aug, 2015

Hoffman genius deserved the Oscar, John Voight nice acting too....script awesome, know i wanna watch John waynes film to understand why he won it.

• Peter Gatt

★★½ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 21 Aug, 2015

Joe Buck [Jon Voight] goes to New York to become a Hustler and make his fortune he encounters "Ratso" Rizzo [Dustin Hoffman in my opinion his best performance] and things just deteriorate from there

A real journey of 2 people trying to stake their claim in a mad world and coincidently it end on a bus just like Hoffman's other iconic role in The Graduate

Trivia first X rated movie to win Best Film at the Oscars

• Dakotah Salazar

★★★★½ Added by Dakotah Salazar

An exploitive, controversial and disturbing look on New York Society between a crippled hustler and cowboy hooker who search for their "American Dream". Brilliant performances from Hoffman and Voight. The direction is supberb and there's a great energy and originality in its look and style. While very outdated it's still a technically well made film and worth the watch. Its all very depressing and thought provoking. It could leave a lot of viewers upset or confused on the ending. Its…

• Toby Leman

★★★★½ Added by Toby Leman

Films that challenge society and succeed in making a lasting impression are the films that transcend time. Midnight Cowboy is one of those films. It is the only X-rated film to ever have won the best picture at the Academy Awards, and it isn't difficult to see why.

• Pete Laurie

★★★½ Watched by Pete Laurie 26 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

When it comes to choosing the winners of the big Oscars, the Academy is accused of being pretty conservative, old fashioned and predictable. I like The King’s Speech, but it’s generally regarded as a vanilla, by the numbers prestige piece, that in no way deserved to beat The Social Network. And I for one never miss an opportunity point out that the Academy chose the melodramatic syrup of Ordinary People over the amazing Raging Bull. The latter might have won…

• jerry hudson

★★★★★ Added by jerry hudson

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

for long long time greatest gay film I knew not matter what heteros thought but you can see true love between joe buck and ratso Rizzo even if joe cannot kiss ratso until he is dead is real love

• Chase Whale

★★★★★ Watched by Chase Whale 19 Jul, 2015

Never in my movie-watching career have I felt so much pain for a character than Dustin Hoffman's Ratso. When he hurt, I hurt.

• qarmstrong

★★½ Added by qarmstrong

Poor Joe Buck, why did you have to move away from good ol’ small town America and come to New York with its depraved queers and shifty Jews? OK, so maybe it’s not that simple, but this is a remarkably conservative movie with a very bleak view of life in the big city. (The rape flashbacks feel more like a narrative bandaid than anything else.) Voight is fine, Hoffman is very good, the movie is just OK. The Of Mice…

• Matthew Hodgkin

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Hodgkin 06 Jul, 2015

Ahead of its time and in a style of its own. Hoffman is unrecognisable. It has a purpose and meaning. But it's context and delivery of an idea is stronger then it's scene by scene content.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★½ Watched by Njabs Phungula 19 Jun, 2015

I'm not exactly sure what I was excepting from this movie but it was so underwhelming (especially for a Best Picture). Joe Buck and Ratso are two very interesting characters and the performances by Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffmann are very good. The music sets the mood but the film itself doesn't do it justice. The incessant flashbacks did very little to support the story and the events they tease at are not explained at all. The 'Warhol-esque' party sequence…

• Daryl

★★★★ Watched by Daryl 19 Jun, 2015

Incredible performances from Voight and Hoffman in particular which carried this brilliant story forward. Gritty and grimy and shot perfectly well, the Academy got this one right.