• Kenneth Kriheli

★★★ Watched by Kenneth Kriheli 17 Feb, 2015

Better rewatch this. Schlesinger's one of my favorite Brits, so it'd be a shame if this doesn't go up half a star if not a full one.

• Jason Darby

★★★½ Added by Jason Darby

I get the sense that, in its day, Midnight Cowboy was a film that was viewed as something of a gamechanger. It marks the demarcation line between "safer" and more traditional Best Picture winners and the more gritty and realistic films that would dominate for the next several years. Sadly the film has aged somewhat in the forty five years since its release, but it's still a near great experience.

The thing that holds the film together more than anything…

• Liam McConnell

★★★★★ Watched by Liam McConnell 02 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This is a review of the ways in which 'Midnight Cowboy' utilizes the
    concept of Narrative Form, written by me, Liam McConnell.

It's really long.

The films tell the rough story of two under-achievers trying to survive and make something of themselves on New York City’s mean streets. This closely relates to the films theme; other elements of the theme being the ever-present worry about money—or the lack of it—and the idea that the grass is always greener on the…

• Jeane Chisholm

Watched by Jeane Chisholm 17 Feb, 2015

Perdidos na Noite

• Dermot Arnold

★★★★ Watched by Dermot Arnold 12 Feb, 2015

I doubt there will be another Best Picture like this film again.

• Fredrik Fyhr

★★★★ Watched by Fredrik Fyhr 11 Feb, 2015

Bit of an upper-downer experience.

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Rewatched by William Kretschmer 19 Apr, 2010

A naive male prostitute and his sickly friend struggle to survive on the streets of New York City.
    A classic downbeat view of New York low life, marvelously executed with two prime performances.

• deadmanramsey

★★½ Added by deadmanramsey

54/100

• Jessica Bowman

★★★ Watched by Jessica Bowman 08 Dec, 2013

I've been meaning to try to keep up with my American Film Institute list during the holiday season, and with so many specials and movies coming out I decided I better get some of these watched while I can. So last night I watched #43 - Midnight Cowboy starring John Voight and Dustin Hoffman. I had seen many clips of this film, but without context they made no sense. I definitely needed to see what all the hype was about.…

• LorneTaylor

★★★★½ Watched by LorneTaylor 24 Jan, 2015

This is a beautifully crafted piece of Avant Garde cinema. The way it tells a story is like nothing of its time. The film uses flashbacks to tell the story of the character Joe Buck and with the character Rizzo, they simply have him tell his story through a series of short monologues. This contrast works perfectly with the style of the movie. Dustin Hoffman is beautiful in this movie. Whenever he is in shot, the scene instantly becomes electric, especially in the close-ups. The complexity of the characters only drags you in more and the movie doesn't spoon feed you anything.

• Nik

★★★½ Watched by Nik 14 Jan, 2015

Hot on the heels on 1968's Best Picture winner, the only G-rated winner, "Oliver"; comes the only X-rated movie to win Best Picture. And their both similarly about making it in the mean city streets. This one is, admittedly, a *little* darker in tone.

Joe Buck is a Texas kid with bright eyes of going to New York City where he plans to make his riches making love to women. Or men, whatever. He just knows he's the best. Even…

• Ignacio Montalvo

★★★★½ Watched by Ignacio Montalvo 13 Jan, 2015

Cuando el sueño americano se desmorona. Dustin Hoffman y Jon Voight forman una pareja genial y ambos están fantásticos, sobretodo Voight. Me encanta cómo está filmado el Nueva York de los 70.