• Colsson30

★★★★½ Added by Colsson30

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 05 Nov, 2011

Midnight in Paris is a good-natured and beautiful film. It benefits from typically smart writing by Woody Allen, who also directed it with his unique talent for lovely romantic comedies such as this.

The fantasy elements were absolutely full of magic and not being an intellectual, like Allen surely is, didn't allow me to get all the jokes and references about arts and literature from the 1920s but it didn't deterred my enjoyment of it, though. It had a great…

• the_narrator

★★★★ Watched by the_narrator 14 Sep, 2014

Woody strip-mines his catalog, even going back to the stand-up days ("And then Gertrude Stein punched me in the face"), to good results. Darius Khondji should shoot all of Woody's movies, good or bad.

• Viv

★★★★★ Watched by Viv 14 Sep, 2014

Brilliant acting, writing, music and cinematography all come together to make a witting, charming, visually beautiful film. A very nostalgic, romantic portrayal of one of the world's most iconic cities.

• Chris Hodgson

★★★★ Added by Chris Hodgson

Worth watching for the cinematography alone. It's hardly life changing but it doesn't need to be. A wonderful, warm film that's easy to enjoy and absorb.

• John Connor

★★★ Watched by John Connor 22 Dec, 2011

A pleasant enough time-waster, but this film is built on very slight (and kinda obvious) foundations. Really it was at it's best when Wilson's winsome accidental time-traveller just hung out with cool old famous people, and the film riffed on their known personalities. Corey Stoll as Hemingway, Alison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald and Adrien Brody as Dali each stole the movie when they were in it, it's just a pity we kept leaving them to get back to the damn story.

• le3r0y

★★★½ Added by le3r0y

Is this a movie I would choose to watch? to be honest with the Bio, no.

This movie was recommended to me, I have watched it and I am pleased to say I actually enjoyed the film.

Gil is a novelist in the making who is in love with Paris, especially during its golden age, the 1920's.
    While walking at night he is transported back to the 1920's and ineracts with all his mentors, not only writers but artists and…

• Drumaville

★★★ Added by Drumaville

Having not seen many Woody Allen films I was slightly apprehensive however found it very enjoyable. Good performances from Owen Wilson, Michael Sheen and Rachel McAdams (if irritating) and interesting story line referencing greats from days gone by

• David Burgess

★★★★ Watched by David Burgess 10 Sep, 2014

I generally don't mind Owen Wilson as an actor. His comedic roles are light and fun and I like his goofy demeanor. This foray into a more dramatic role though, has only elevated my opinion of the actor. I must admit I LOVE when actors play against type once in a while. I am thinking of Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction and Bill Murray in Lost In Translation and others. Now I will have to add Owen Wilson to…

• Neale

★★★★★ Rewatched by Neale 11 Sep, 2014

Thumbs Up: Woody Allen positively shits charm with his confident direction, fun use of magical realism and nostalgia, Owen Wilson as the Woody Allen surrogate, Michael Sheen as the pretentious ass-hat, all the great artists of the 20s (especially Adrien Brody as Dali), typically excellent production design and cinematography.

Thumbs Down: A couple of missed opportunities (in particular, would have liked to see a comeuppance for pretentious ass-hat)

• Johnny Pickbourne

★★★★½ Rewatched by Johnny Pickbourne 12 Aug, 2014

Brilliant watch.

I imagine Paris in the rain, in the 20's to be as beautiful as portrayed.

If the party bus were to pull up right now, there'd be no question of getting in to enjoy a rollercoaster of history.

• cornelld

★★★★ Watched by cornelld 19 Aug, 2014

Drillbit Taylor visits Paris and parties like it's 1920.

Not the type of film I'd have chosen but pleased it was recommended to me.

Moves at a nice pace (after the weirdly long intro) and is enjoyable throughout... I feel I should have had more wine and cheese as I watched it.