• Craig Dawson

★★★½ Watched by Craig Dawson 26 Jan, 2016

A young man hears a chance phone call telling him that a nuclear war has started and missiles will hit his city in 70 minutes.

This is a film that you wouldn't see now or at least not with this tone. It's a post-apocalyptic film before the apocalypse actually happens. Obviously it uses the fear surrounding the Cold War as a springboard, although it does infuse comedy into the situation.

I didn't love it but it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

• Brendan

★★★ Watched by Brendan 02 Apr, 2016

Miracle Mile follows Harry as he answers a ringing payphone only to discover that nuclear war is about to break out. It's a interesting premise and the fall out of the phone call is handled fairly well. The mystery of whether the phone call is accurate or not is the film's highlight however it's not explored sufficiently enough. The romance angle in the film is a huge misfire, the dialogue is weak and results in some pretty cheesy scenes. Still there's plenty of quality to be enjoyed here.

• travisbickle138

★★★★½ Watched by travisbickle138 24 Apr, 2016

Damn, talk about a hidden gem! One of the best end of the world movies I've seen.

• Drew Phillips

★★★★½ Watched by Drew Phillips 19 Apr, 2016

Beyond underrated. A perfectly paced and scored thriller with surreal visuals and eye popping late 80s aesthetic.

• Asadullah Khan

★★★½ Watched by Asadullah Khan 15 Mar, 2016

The movie is about an average joe who finally finds the girl of his dreams and everything seems to be going well until he gets a call one night telling him nuclear war has begun and that nukes will destroy their city in an hour.

The premise was really interesting. I liked the main dude as well as some side characters. Seeing people react to this type of news was great and the movie tried to time it right with…

• Willem van der Zanden

★★★★½ Added by Willem van der Zanden

... 'cause this movie is literally the best at keeping you guessing until the end. From that very first mysterious phone call, you are hooked and so is the rest of the city. Mass hysteria at it's finest!

• Todd S. Gallows

★★★ Watched by Todd S. Gallows 14 Apr, 2016

Thrilling journey through a crazy night. Reeks of its era for good and ill. Shines in its visual style and in the Tangerine Dream cinematic score. But also shows in its shallow characterization. Everyone is a one note stereotype. Also, by the end, it delves too deep into chaos, seemingly losing its focus.

• Colin O'Brien

★★★ Watched by Colin O'Brien 03 Apr, 2016

Starts off as yet another 80s romance before switching a third of the way in to channeling Cold War fears. It looks cheap and shouldn't work but you get pulled in and start rooting for the lead characters.
    Bonus points for the Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

• Rumsey Taylor

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rumsey Taylor 03 Apr, 2016 1

Miracle Mile is [largely] a romance, but it is decidedly a shallow one. Save for Julie’s punky hairstyle, one of a number of artifacts that dates this as a 1980s film, the forlorn lovers remain largely indistinct. Nothing is known of their history, really, only that they’re immediately infatuated with each other. Their mutual interest is so unspoiled and matter-of-fact that you watch them oblivious to the threat of heartbreak.

Heartbreak is an obvious plot element in a narrative setup…

• Max Restaino

★★★★★ Rewatched by Max Restaino 01 Apr, 2016

One of my favorite parts of MIRACLE MILE are all of the wonderful off-screen stories that we are clued in to. The movie is full of excellent characters, and not just it's protagonists, everyone we encounter in this movie has a story to tell. We are lucky to be told the little bits we are, but we are even luckier to get to imagine them.

My #1 favorite part of MIRACLE MILE is the whole movie, because it's one of…

• dantesring

★★★★★ Rewatched by dantesring 30 Mar, 2016

MIRACLE MILE is one of the gteat underseen movies of the 80's. It has always had a powerful hold on me since going to see it when it was released. At the time I was a Tangerine Dream freak and went and saw anything that they had done the score for. Having heard nothing about the film other than the soundtrack I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Needless to say, the film rocked me to my…

• Bryn Evans

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bryn Evans 22 Mar, 2016 3

Seeing it again, remain more convinced that this is one of the best American movies of the 80s. Exploits Regan-era nuclear fear (which might be anachronistic for audiences now), but the parallels to similar doomsday scenarios (terrorism, climate change) aren't. Edwards is super charming, and his chemistry with Winningham feels lived-in. Beyond that, the film has a beguilling, seductively sad tone that I can't put my finger on, except to say that if the world was ending tomorrow, for all the surreal touches (and there's lots of 'em, making for a great rewatch), it might feel a lot like this.