• Kai Perrignon

★★★★ Watched by Kai Perrignon 01 Dec, 2015

An insane mash up of romance and disaster film. Wild tonal shifts, surreal set pieces, exhausting paranoia, colour saturation, and Sirk-esque melodrama all combine with an earnest, old school spirit to create a bittersweet love story about connection in the face of chaos.

I've never seen anything remotely like it.

• Michael Koopmans

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Koopmans 29 Nov, 2015

Dream-like real-time apocalyptic romantic thriller that feels so absurd and unfamiliar, yet becomes so memorable. Centered around one area of LA, where each setting is as much of a (returning) character as the cast. Mood and pace are perfect. As much social commentary as you care to look for.

• Cliff Galiher

★★★★ Watched by Cliff Galiher 08 Sep, 2014

SAW: at the SGT, with Daniel & Stefan (first)

• Mirthbound

★★★★ Watched by Mirthbound 26 Nov, 2015

A carcass of a love story dragged along for the ride.

Post-Kano sci-fi romance... no heart.

• Andrew Bemis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Bemis 02 Sep, 2015

It was great to rewatch this after reading Walter Chaw's book about it and the very personal significance it has for him (if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it). The movie was almost unbearably tense the first time I saw it, but knowing how it would turn out this time, I appreciated its bittersweet romantic streak, which isn't quite like any apocalyptic movie or, really, any movie I've ever seen. Much of what I found nerve-wracking the first time around played as oddly uplifting this time - it's a fascinatingly shifty movie, and the perfect romance for anyone who is prone to morbid rumination.

• Jon Nix

★★★★★ Watched by Jon Nix 12 Nov, 2015

I can't say enough good things about this film.

• Noyer

★★★★★ Rewatched by Noyer 15 Nov, 2015

Such a beautifully bleak film.

• Juan Espinoza

★★★★½ Watched by Juan Espinoza 15 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Obra maestra de películas apocalípticas. Hecha en los años del declive de la Guerra Fría captura perfectamente la desesperación que surge ante la inminente devastación de un ataque nuclear.

La clave de esto es que nunca abandonamos a personajes comunes y corrientes, y en ese estado de paranoia cualquiera puede ser el héroe o el villano, eso hace a la historia, y todos sus giros, completamente imprevisible.

Luego está el final, que para mi es lo que hace elevar a…

• Justin Decloux

★★★★½ Added by Justin Decloux

MIRACLE MILE is fascinating in its construction: First you have the meet-cute prologue, then a tension tightening diner set sequence you assume will be the closed off reality of the film (with a great character actor cast), but NOPE, it turns into a lone man ticking clock city set quest story, until it takes a insanely dark turn in last act that builds until the audience is left completely shaken. The set-up is so high concept that it's easy to…

• Jeff Williams

★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 12 Nov, 2015

"Mr. Sagan? Yes, I understand, I do apologize, but what I'm about to tell you is something quite horrific."

• Alexander Bergman

★★★ Watched by Alexander Bergman 29 Oct, 2015

Great ideas at play and a strong grasp of paranoid hysteria don't compensate for scenes of overblown dramatization. An apocalyptic After Hours, this film sets up the premise that within an hour Los Angeles will be nuked out of existence. It was fun to watch a film set entirely within a mile of my home, but after a while the two-block radius became repetitive. I appreciated the filmmaker's attempt to immerse us in an apocalypse while maintaining the absurdity of…

• Jussi Hulkkonen

★★★★ Watched by Jussi Hulkkonen 20 Oct, 2015

Practically the apotheoses of an '80s film, de Jarnatt marries the quirky outsider romance of Hughes and other '80s rom-coms, albeit with an genuine sweetness and maturity that is free of irony, with the madcap comedic genre fuel of dark sci-fi thrillers like Carpenter's Escape From New York in this pitch perfect reflection of the paranoia and fear that laced the Cold War era.

The film's unshakable pessimism and fierce commitment to the spiraling consequences and destruction Edwards leaves behind…