• Duncan Stripp

★★★ Watched by Duncan Stripp 03 Apr, 2015

A man picks up a ringing pay phone only to discover that a nuclear attack is imminent. He, and a rag tag group of strangers in a diner, must decide whether to stay put or try and get to safety. Still a fairly powerful film with a lovely lead performance from Anthony Edwards, it sadly hasn't aged that well and looks decidedly dated.

• Paddy Walker

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Walker 17 Apr, 2015

This would make a great double-bill with After Hours.

• Max Coombes

★★★★ Watched by Max Coombes 03 Oct, 2014

Atmospheric and heart-stoppingly urgent, Miracle Mile is sort of like a heartfelt After Hours without the jokes. It starts as a twee romantic comedy and then turns into a 'real time' tour through the pre-apocalypse.

The film's detractors criticise its moodswings, lack of apocalyptic punch, and ham-fisted attempts at profundity. Fans recognise that the moodswings are necessary and that any apocalyptic punch would distract from the film's message (which in no way attempts to be profound): whether you've got 50 minutes or 50 years, find something beautiful to make that time worthwhile.

• G. Jardar Olsen

★★★★½ Added by G. Jardar Olsen

VASTLY underrated mystery with an unnerving atmosphere, "Miracle Mile" is beautiful, beguiling, funny and terrifying. Much like a colorful nightmare, scary yet so wildly entertaining you never want to wake up.

The filmmaker keeps us guessing all the way through, and this is key to the success of the story. On one hand we only know as much as the main character and on the other the possible dilemma he is facing is so dramatic we're totally invested in his…

• Jack Cox

★★½ Watched by Jack Cox 31 Mar, 2015

Interesting Premise but the acting is god-awful and it's a shame because I really like Mare Winningham, I think this was one of her first roles and she is incredibly hot in this but Anthony Edwards is so monotone in his delivery he just kills this movie, which is a shame because this could have gone somewhere and it ended up going nowhere.

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Matthews 29 Mar, 2015

Alternating between moments of sweetness and moments that shock, this is a fondly remembered movie from the '80s that holds up surprisingly well.

• Cevin Moore

★★★ Watched by Cevin Moore 27 Mar, 2015

As a member of the generation for which the ever-present threat of all out nuclear war was a very real fact of life, and one you had to live with as a teenager that was a bigger worry than your acne, this brings it all flooding back.

The shortcomings of the accelerated character arcs and romance alongside some very implausible coincidences are certainly overcome by the final act that makes this a real treat to watch.

And on a final…

• Paul Costello

★★★½ Watched by Paul Costello 26 Mar, 2015

... I was not expecting that. Pretty much dead serious the whole time, despite how humourous much of what we see actually is. Tone is a nightmare, the music is often intrusive and ill-fitting, and the actors clearly believe they're in a different movie from the one De Jarnatt is directing. Despite all that, it is an interesting ride, with a really good premise at its heart.

• Jay-r Trinidad

★★★★ Watched by Jay-r Trinidad 26 Mar, 2015

great technical skills, editing, and visuals in this great "what if" scenario that throws you in the eye of the calm before the great storm. it even straps you in places where you would feel the crazy tragedy and eventually allows you to drift aimlessly still trying to play with you and poke you until it's your turn to take it all in and eventually slacken.

• splisken

★★★ Added by splisken

what starts off as an eighties boy meets girl light romantic comedy takes a rather violent left turn into end of the world chaos.

guy meets girl. guys alarm goes off late so he doesn't pick her up. guy intercepts frantic phone call from someone who works in a missile silo saying the missiles are coming. guy seeks girl. only a gay bodybuilder with a helicopter licence can save them..?

many unexpected turns and random brutality follow.

the music is…

• Pantoja

★★★★ Rewatched by Pantoja 26 May, 1990

When it comes to apocalyptic films this is one of my favorites. I enjoy the feeling of desperation this genre brings, and Miracle Mile certainly delivers. Best time time watch this; around 2:30 a.m. and with a bit of a buzz. When it ends at 4 a.m., walk out side to an empty and silent world, stand in the middle of street knowing that no one else is around; you'll realize what I'm talking about.

• Elise van Dam

★★★★ Watched by Elise van Dam 16 Mar, 2015

Er gaat niets boven jaren tachtig soundtracks.