• Arnold Furious

★★★½ Watched by Arnold Furious 25 Jul, 2016

I actually had time to watch a movie! I'm kinda busy with two jobs so there's been a lack of movie watching of late. I chose this because it was one of the few Spike Lee movies I'd not previously seen. It's a solid flick with a great cast although the sub plots don't do much for me. The film is far better when it focuses in on Denzel and his band. The banter was strong with them. If the…

• Daniel Sarath

★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Sarath 19 Jul, 2016

Rewatched on a 35mm print at Home in Manchester. Rambling, messy, but incredibly powerful.

• Sam Hamer

★★½ Watched by Sam Hamer 01 Jul, 2016

Meh, it's not Do the Right Thing or Malcolm X.

Spike Lee is a director whose body of work is supposedly hit or miss, this is only my third Spike Lee film (Malcolm X being my favorite) and this was a bit of a miss for me. The film is one of those movies that doesn't really have a plot per say, more of just watching the characters interact and such. An example of a film like this done well…

• Andy F.

★★★★ Rewatched by Andy F. 18 Jun, 2016

Like many early Spike Lee movies, this one is kind of all over the place. But it's so vibrant and great to watch. Incredible music scenes, a surprisingly unlikable but can't take your eyes off him Denzel. One of the most graphic, if not the most, childbirth scenes ever filmed. Do NOT like the jewish stereotypes that Lee employed with the club owners, and I know he got hit with a defamation suit for it. I know that he was right to bring up the double standard of Hollywood racism and black stereotyping, but as we learn in childhood, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Waldo

★★★★ Rewatched by Waldo 20 May, 2016

The vibrant, colorful tale of Bleek Gilliam, the egocentric jazz musician juggling work and love problems with the same intensity as he does performing his music. The suits are right out of Kool Bubba Ice's closet, I mean, those canary yellow suits and purple shirts? Anyway, its a music drama, very well done by Spike. It was the first Spike film I ever saw. Denzel had won and Oscar for Glory and that's how Spike came to my attention. It also features one of the most horrible beatings I've ever seen a director give himself.

• Jason Bally

★½ Added by Jason Bally

Spike Lee has got to be one of the most uneven movie makers of all time. He's made some great, important movies, but this isn't one of them. It's just plain dull.

• Timothy E. RAW

★★★★★ Watched by Timothy E. RAW 09 May, 2016

Pure jazz. Pure cinema. Pure Spike.

A stone cold American classic.

• NinjaDomoEsq

★★½ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 24 Apr, 2016

A well directed film that never seems to have a purpose. It's lack of clear plot becomes tedious and while the film will become interesting every now and then, it is just as quick to become boring again.

• Agdfairplay

★★★½ Watched by Agdfairplay 20 Apr, 2016

It's a Jazz thing.

• Justin Swanson

★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 12 Apr, 2016

I went back and forth on how I felt about this movie. There are some very powerful themes and scenes that deal with identity and self-worth. But the film spends so much time slogging through Bleek's sexual proclivity that it's hard to focus on the meaningful resolution.

Also, that birth scene was FOR REAL!!

• Robert Motherwell

★★ Added by Robert Motherwell

Disappointing follow up by Spike Lee to his famous "Do the Right Thing" which is his first feature with Denzel Washington-to no avail.
    Egotistical trumpet player who leads a jazz quartet is reexamining his life when caught between two women he's dating at the same time. This naturally fails to work out; the fact that his oldest friend and manager is going into debt doesn't help at all.
    Interesting portrait and stylish ideas add up to little and the film…

• Patrick Terry

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Terry 30 Mar, 2016

The mo' better makes it mo' better