• Waldo

★★★★ Rewatched by Waldo 20 May, 2016

The vibrant, colorful tale of Bleek Gilliam, the egocentric jazz musician juggling work and love problems with the same intensity as he does performing his music. The suits are right out of Kool Bubba Ice's closet, I mean, those canary yellow suits and purple shirts? Anyway, its a music drama, very well done by Spike. It was the first Spike film I ever saw. Denzel had won and Oscar for Glory and that's how Spike came to my attention. It also features one of the most horrible beatings I've ever seen a director give himself.

• Jason Bally

★½ Added by Jason Bally

Spike Lee has got to be one of the most uneven movie makers of all time. He's made some great, important movies, but this isn't one of them. It's just plain dull.

• Timothy E. RAW

★★★★★ Watched by Timothy E. RAW 09 May, 2016

Pure jazz. Pure cinema. Pure Spike.

A stone cold American classic.

• NinjaDomoEsq

★★½ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 24 Apr, 2016

A well directed film that never seems to have a purpose. It's lack of clear plot becomes tedious and while the film will become interesting every now and then, it is just as quick to become boring again.

• Agdfairplay

★★★½ Watched by Agdfairplay 20 Apr, 2016

It's a Jazz thing.

• Justin Swanson

★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 12 Apr, 2016

I went back and forth on how I felt about this movie. There are some very powerful themes and scenes that deal with identity and self-worth. But the film spends so much time slogging through Bleek's sexual proclivity that it's hard to focus on the meaningful resolution.

Also, that birth scene was FOR REAL!!

• Robert Motherwell

★★ Added by Robert Motherwell

Disappointing follow up by Spike Lee to his famous "Do the Right Thing" which is his first feature with Denzel Washington-to no avail.
    Egotistical trumpet player who leads a jazz quartet is reexamining his life when caught between two women he's dating at the same time. This naturally fails to work out; the fact that his oldest friend and manager is going into debt doesn't help at all.
    Interesting portrait and stylish ideas add up to little and the film…

• Patrick Terry

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Terry 30 Mar, 2016

The mo' better makes it mo' better

• chernymiroir

★★★½ Added by chernymiroir

Music and visuals were quite an experience. Not awesome, but a good film.

• Valtteri Lepistö

★★★½ Watched by Valtteri Lepistö 20 Mar, 2016

Spike Lee bringing Hollywood tradition alive with fresh touch. The whole films look as if it was combination of visuals from musical numbers of the 50s and feeling from film noir world. Yet it definitely has a 80s/90s vibe to it. Denzel Washington is wonderful and I'm slowly beginning to understand why people respect him so much - actually he has become one of my favorites as well. The whole circle of life idea works surprisingly well even if the…

• Bryce Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Bryce Wilson 14 Mar, 2016

Lee at his most Cassevettesesque.

• Sally Jane Black

Watched by Sally Jane Black 27 Feb, 2016 5

I think I have thoughts on the whole anti-Semitism thing, but I can't formulate them now. Mostly, my thoughts on this movie are about how Spike Lee moved his camera so much, at times dancing around with it, at times playing with it, and at times rather irritatingly just fucking shaking it. The jazz was good, though.

February count: 29/29