• grace barber-plentie

★★★★ Added by grace barber-plentie

I forgot Spike Lee can make really good films and I honestly feel terrible.

I wasn't expecting to like this that much but:

a) Denzel's a really good actor

b) Joie Lee = heart eye emoji

c) The third act is fucking devastating

d) Not THAT sexist? (for a Spike film, anyway)

• Leo Brady

★★★★½ Watched by Leo Brady 17 Nov, 2015

Denzel plays Bleek, a trumpet player who headlines at a local New York night club. What I loved and keep thinking about, is how "Mo' Better Blues" portrays a realistic struggle of life for men. A struggle to be the greatest in ones field, a struggle to be pleased with just one woman, and a struggle to deal with life when your greatest gift is taken away.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 12 Nov, 2015

The only thing i liked was the musical scenes and seeing John Coltrane on the shelf. Nothing special..Random squabbling interrupted by sex and Samuel Jackson hauling the director off lol Even the famed dolly shots serve no purpose to the end product.

• GenkiB

★★★★ Rewatched by GenkiB 03 Nov, 2015

I’ve been wanting to see this for a long time. I originally saw it in the theatre and I remember having to line up for it. I liked it then so when I was putting together a list of movies I wanted to watch again, I felt this was worthy. Now, I don’t know what’s up with video stores in Japan but they don’t seem to carry a lotta Spike Lee joints? I’ve also been wanting to see “Jungle Fever”…

• Steven Cohen

★★★½ Watched by Steven Cohen 21 Jun, 2015

Spike Lee's Mo' Better Blues flows a little like the jazz that the film is about (gosh what a stupid analogy), so even though it is a little drawn out, strong performances and great music keep the film from feeling slight.

• Tony Rittenhouse

★★★ Watched by Tony Rittenhouse 13 Sep, 2015

Much less confident and assured than Lee's previous outing (Do the Right Thing), but following a masterpiece is hard to do. He goes for it in Mo' Better Blues though, a valiant effort. It's an atypical musical biopic, both because it's completely fictional and the story goes nowhere near where you'd expect. Roger Ebert wrote in his review that he felt an act was missing, one where we see the change in Bleek Gilliam from selfish virtuoso musician to humble…

• Lionel

★★★½ Watched by Lionel 03 Aug, 2015

Spike Lee is consistently underrated as a visual stylist, and this film is definitely the most gorgeously shot movie of his I've seen so far. The rich colors and creative camerawork blend masterfully with the great jazz score to create an amazing aesthetic experience that is only heightened by Denzel Washington's masterful central performance. In this film he confidently and smoothly plays a man who doesn't know what he wants, is easy to root for and engage with even though…

• Justin Geldzahler

★★★ Watched by Justin Geldzahler 31 Jul, 2015

Fuck Thomas Kinkade, Ernest Dickerson is the real painter of light. It's a shame the movie doesn't live up to his beautiful photography. This being a Spike Lee film it remains a very watchable film, despite the inert romance and over abundance of Spike Lee trying to act. There's a better film somewhere in this shaggy over two hour production, and a good chunk would have involved cutting Lee's adventures in gambling.

• Joe Criger

★★★½ Watched by Joe Criger 25 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I don't know what a five star system means or how to use it, but if this rating seems high for what is essentially a decent flick about finding love after you lose your talent, it's because the photography is god damn outstanding.

• Megan Baker

★★★ Watched by Megan Baker 21 Jun, 2015

Mo' Better Blues is Spike Lee's ode to jazz and the music he grew up with. The film moves and flutters like the unpredictability of the genre paired the ups and downs of life. Denzel Washington stars as Bleek Gilliam, a dedicated trumpet player with his own quartet that plays in a New York night club. His obsession with being a genius musician makes for rocky relationships with his friends and lovers. It's a faux biopic about the almost next…

• TJ Duane

★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 22 May, 2015

Spike Lee's love story-cum-jazz film is both filled with L-O-V-E and its complications, as well as jazzy "performances" throughout, both mimed onstage by Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes and edited through their day to day lives. Lee's film ends in a way that surprised me, and I'm not entirely certain it's earned (it's quite abrupt, in my opinion), the journey to that ending is so filled with energy that I'm most definitely on the pro side of this film.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★½ Watched by Njabs Phungula 07 May, 2015 2

Much of the cast of Do the Right Thing is gathered together for another Spike Lee joint but this time with the ever so talented Denzel Washington joining in. The film is far from perfect but it's got a nice vibe. The camera does some nice things and there's some wonderful music to be heard. I'm not sure exactly what it is that I had an issue with but with it just wasn't wholly satisfying. I wouldn't mind seeing it a few more times though. Take a look at it.