• Mike Ward

★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Ward 18 Sep, 2016

After seeing La La Land I had to see this film again. This film is far from perfect, Spike Lee while great in his first 3 films by this point got high on his own supply and just put himself on screen just for the sake of putting himself on screen (Though putting himself in Malcolm X was the ultimate sin).

Maybe it's because he's acting beside Denzel at his hungriest and Wesley and his peak that he seems so…

• Justin 🙇🏽

★★½ Watched by Justin 🙇🏽 11 Sep, 2016

man desperately wants to fuck his trumpet, compromises by fucking multiple women instead

those shots of spike getting beat cross edited with the jazz performance > all of whiplash

• sethandthecity

★★★★ Watched by sethandthecity 09 Sep, 2016

This film did not interest me as a kid but I always saw the box for it at the video store and always thought it was a funny name. Now that I'm a grown man who loves jazz and film and Spike Lee, I looked forward to watching it. I gotta say, this is Spike Lee at his best. Back then, no one directed Denzel better than Spike. And Snipes is great as the bad boy who's tired of being…

• James Reynov

★★★½ Watched by James Reynov 04 Sep, 2016

I've lied about watching this movie twice for the sake of conversation and now I don't have to lie anymore. Quite possibly Spike Lee's sexiest movie, and I'm not just talking about the jazz numbers.

• José Rocha Neto

★★★½ Added by José Rocha Neto

sesc

• Scott

★★★★½ Watched by Scott 30 Jul, 2016

Great epic tale of jazz and the musicians who play it. Denzel, of course, is on point in his first appearance in a Spike Lee Joint. Filled with so much great jazz music and some great editing that plays to the rhythm of the music. The ending might feel a little tidy, but given the strength of Washington's acting, it's the kind of ending you want to happen and feels very satisfying. Even the Jewish club owners are bearable, especially since they only present an obstacle in the plot and aren't pivotal to it.

• Arnold Furious

★★★½ Watched by Arnold Furious 25 Jul, 2016

I actually had time to watch a movie! I'm kinda busy with two jobs so there's been a lack of movie watching of late. I chose this because it was one of the few Spike Lee movies I'd not previously seen. It's a solid flick with a great cast although the sub plots don't do much for me. The film is far better when it focuses in on Denzel and his band. The banter was strong with them. If the…

• Daniel Sarath

★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Sarath 19 Jul, 2016

Rewatched on a 35mm print at Home in Manchester. Rambling, messy, but incredibly powerful.

• Sam Hamer

★★½ Watched by Sam Hamer 01 Jul, 2016

Meh, it's not Do the Right Thing or Malcolm X.

Spike Lee is a director whose body of work is supposedly hit or miss, this is only my third Spike Lee film (Malcolm X being my favorite) and this was a bit of a miss for me. The film is one of those movies that doesn't really have a plot per say, more of just watching the characters interact and such. An example of a film like this done well…

• Andy Elijah

★★★★ Rewatched by Andy Elijah 18 Jun, 2016

Like many early Spike Lee movies, this one is kind of all over the place. But it's so vibrant and great to watch. Incredible music scenes, a surprisingly unlikable but can't take your eyes off him Denzel. One of the most graphic, if not the most, childbirth scenes ever filmed. Do NOT like the jewish stereotypes that Lee employed with the club owners, and I know he got hit with a defamation suit for it. I know that he was right to bring up the double standard of Hollywood racism and black stereotyping, but as we learn in childhood, two wrongs don't make a right.

• Waldo

★★★★ Rewatched by Waldo 20 May, 2016

The vibrant, colorful tale of Bleek Gilliam, the egocentric jazz musician juggling work and love problems with the same intensity as he does performing his music. The suits are right out of Kool Bubba Ice's closet, I mean, those canary yellow suits and purple shirts? Anyway, its a music drama, very well done by Spike. It was the first Spike film I ever saw. Denzel had won and Oscar for Glory and that's how Spike came to my attention. It also features one of the most horrible beatings I've ever seen a director give himself.

• Jason Bally

★½ Added by Jason Bally

Spike Lee has got to be one of the most uneven movie makers of all time. He's made some great, important movies, but this isn't one of them. It's just plain dull.