• Dan Gaertner

★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 31 Jan, 2016

Spike Lee's character study of a jazz man who finds a way to communicate without his horn is nice, but hardly revolutionary. It takes a VERY long time to get its notes out.

• Craig Duffy

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Duffy 29 Jan, 2016

The first time I saw this movie I knew next to nothing about jazz. Though I still know absolutely nothing about chords and blue notes, my jazz collection now numbers more than 2,000 tracks. I don't really understand the music on a technical level, but I love it. I love the expressiveness of it. I love how it can be one thing for one person and a different thing for another. There's dixieland, swing, big band, be-bop, modal, free, fusion,…

• Bruno Ferreira

★★★★ Watched by Bruno Ferreira 19 Jan, 2016

toda banda tem o seu integrante que atrasa <3 kkk

• Ryan Rosendal

★★★ Added by Ryan Rosendal

"Mo' Better Blues" is nice, breezly little drama starring Denzel Washington at his most absurdly charismatic. Denzel's character Bleek Gilliam is meant to kind of a louse, jerking around two incredibly sweet and beautiful women, but Washington is so inherently appealing you almost can't blame him.

The last 15 minutes or so is a virtuoso piece of filmmaking is one of the most touching of director Spike Lee's career.

• njfries

Added by njfries

awfully tight

• Daniel Sarath

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Sarath 13 Dec, 2015

The next entry into New In Cinema's Spike Lee season is Mo' Better Blues, a sprawling and meandering but ultimately very moving - those last fifteen minutes, holy crap - portrait of the tensions between a New York jazz quartet. It's as frustrating as it is brilliant.

• Ollie_8

★★★★ Added by Ollie_8

• grace barber-plentie

★★★★ Added by grace barber-plentie

I forgot Spike Lee can make really good films and I honestly feel terrible.

I wasn't expecting to like this that much but:

a) Denzel's a really good actor

b) Joie Lee = heart eye emoji

c) The third act is fucking devastating

d) Not THAT sexist? (for a Spike film, anyway)

• Leo Brady

★★★★½ Watched by Leo Brady 17 Nov, 2015

Denzel plays Bleek, a trumpet player who headlines at a local New York night club. What I loved and keep thinking about, is how "Mo' Better Blues" portrays a realistic struggle of life for men. A struggle to be the greatest in ones field, a struggle to be pleased with just one woman, and a struggle to deal with life when your greatest gift is taken away.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 12 Nov, 2015

The only thing i liked was the musical scenes and seeing John Coltrane on the shelf. Nothing special..Random squabbling interrupted by sex and Samuel Jackson hauling the director off lol Even the famed dolly shots serve no purpose to the end product.

• GenkiB

★★★★ Rewatched by GenkiB 03 Nov, 2015

I’ve been wanting to see this for a long time. I originally saw it in the theatre and I remember having to line up for it. I liked it then so when I was putting together a list of movies I wanted to watch again, I felt this was worthy. Now, I don’t know what’s up with video stores in Japan but they don’t seem to carry a lotta Spike Lee joints? I’ve also been wanting to see “Jungle Fever”…

• Steven Cohen

★★★½ Watched by Steven Cohen 21 Jun, 2015

Spike Lee's Mo' Better Blues flows a little like the jazz that the film is about (gosh what a stupid analogy), so even though it is a little drawn out, strong performances and great music keep the film from feeling slight.