• NinjaDomoEsq

★★½ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 24 Apr, 2016

A well directed film that never seems to have a purpose. It's lack of clear plot becomes tedious and while the film will become interesting every now and then, it is just as quick to become boring again.

• Agdfairplay

★★★½ Watched by Agdfairplay 20 Apr, 2016

It's a Jazz thing.

• Justin Swanson

★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 12 Apr, 2016

I went back and forth on how I felt about this movie. There are some very powerful themes and scenes that deal with identity and self-worth. But the film spends so much time slogging through Bleek's sexual proclivity that it's hard to focus on the meaningful resolution.

Also, that birth scene was FOR REAL!!

• Robert Motherwell

★★ Added by Robert Motherwell

Disappointing follow up by Spike Lee to his famous "Do the Right Thing" which is his first feature with Denzel Washington-to no avail.
    Egotistical trumpet player who leads a jazz quartet is reexamining his life when caught between two women he's dating at the same time. This naturally fails to work out; the fact that his oldest friend and manager is going into debt doesn't help at all.
    Interesting portrait and stylish ideas add up to little and the film…

• Patrick Terry

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Terry 30 Mar, 2016

The mo' better makes it mo' better

• chernymiroir

★★★½ Added by chernymiroir

Music and visuals were quite an experience. Not awesome, but a good film.

• Valtteri Lepistö

Watched by Valtteri Lepistö 20 Mar, 2016

Spike Lee bringing Hollywood tradition alive with fresh touch. The whole films look as if it was combination of visuals from musical numbers of the 50s and feeling from film noir world. Yet it definitely has a 80s/90s vibe to it. Denzel Washington is wonderful and I'm slowly beginning to understand why people respect him so much - actually he has become one of my favorites as well. The whole circle of life idea works surprisingly well even if the…

• Bryce Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Bryce Wilson 14 Mar, 2016

Lee at his most Cassevettesesque.

• Sally Jane Black

Watched by Sally Jane Black 27 Feb, 2016 5

I think I have thoughts on the whole anti-Semitism thing, but I can't formulate them now. Mostly, my thoughts on this movie are about how Spike Lee moved his camera so much, at times dancing around with it, at times playing with it, and at times rather irritatingly just fucking shaking it. The jazz was good, though.

February count: 29/29

• Ed Travis

★★★½ Watched by Ed Travis 22 Feb, 2016

Overlong and indulgent, but while the drama took too long to hook me, hook me it ultimately did. There's so much fun and energy and creativity to these early Spike Lee efforts. They're unapologetically black, but they're also filled with mainstream entertainment value.

• Tomi Mendel

★★★ Watched by Tomi Mendel 19 Feb, 2016

[59/100]

My viewing was unfortunately a bit too broken up to form as solid an opinion as I would like. That said, this struck me as appealing but lopsided. It starts out as a vibrant ensemble piece, with a colorful cast of characters, a great community feel, and moving along energetically with no particular place to go. But when the plot arrives, it moves suddenly, with everything happening seemingly all at once - girl trouble, gambling trouble, band drama, injury/recovery/epilogue.…

• Dan Gaertner

★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 31 Jan, 2016

Spike Lee's character study of a jazz man who finds a way to communicate without his horn is nice, but hardly revolutionary. It takes a VERY long time to get its notes out.