• DT

★★★★ Watched by DT 08 Mar, 2014

In viewing its own tensions through the prism of show business, Lee’s potency is reduced to a jazzier pace in tackling more universal, if touching lessons in life and love, as race simply becomes part of the scenery. It still pales as the follow-up to Do the Right Thing, but as a vibrant exercise in colour, music and romance, Lee’s sense of humanity and panache remain intact, and sources of fervour in themselves.

• jhiou

★★★★ Watched by jhiou 22 Dec, 2013

Espetacular, fiquei a saber mais sobre a este tipo de musica, uma herança da raça negra, ao longo do filme teve partes de um enorme cariz emocional, Robin Hughes Harris não poderia estar mais contente, um excelente filme em seu nome :)

• Michael McCann

★★★★ Watched by Michael McCann 01 Jul, 2013

"I make my living with my lips" - Bleek Gilliam

Spike Lee did a good job capturing the essence and passion trumpeter and his jazz quartet. The music in the film is top notch thanks to Branford Marsalis Quartet. It made you feel like you were in an actual jazz club.

The problem I had with the movie was the underdeveloped relationships with most, not all, but most relationships. That's kind of difficult to do when the film is so…

• Cityzen Kano

★★★½ Rewatched by Cityzen Kano 21 Jan, 2014

Part Four of the Spike Lee Feature Film Project

Spike surrounded himself with a close knit unit of workers in all aspects of the production during his early films, an extended family that included real blood ties. His sister Joie - very much a female version of her brother in a number of ways - and father Bill whose compositions work in tandem with his sons often patchwork approach.

Giancarlo Esposito, John Turturro, Bill Nunn and of course Samuel Jackson…

• Steve Sandberg

★★★½ Watched by Steve Sandberg 11 Sep, 2013

More great moments than great film, but damn... those great moments are great.

• Alex Krajci

★★★ Watched by Alex Krajci 08 Mar, 2014

I Like 1990's Mo' Better Blues.

• Troy Taylor

★★★ Watched by Troy Taylor 24 Oct, 2013

This early Spike Lee movie has some good stuff and not so good stuff. Lee has always excelled in his unique style, camera work, color, and use of music. No difference here. This movie centers on jazz, and you can see and hear Spike's appreciation for jazz throughout. The music really moves the movie along. Denzel is even credited on some of the songs, and I was impressed with his work on the trumpet. The biggest weakness of the movie,…

• Scott Audetat

★★★ Watched by Scott Audetat 01 Aug, 2013

Movie was alright, but the strong performances from the great cast probably elevate the unoriginal and overlong story.

Jazz is not my taste in movies, but it had an all jazz score, so they was interesting, and probably works for people that like that music. Having Flavor Flav spell out UNIVERSAL over the opening logo was...odd.

Basically it's like a music number, ten minutes of drama, musical number, ten minutes of drama, etc...

I liked the scene where Denzel seemingly…

• Michael Borshuk

★★★ Added by Michael Borshuk

Re-watched this again for the first time in a few years. Still grimace at the awkward script and problematic character relations, but never get tired of the visual lushness and the fine music from Terence Blanchard and the Branford Marsalis Quartet.

• Dave Edwards

★★ Watched by Dave Edwards 18 Jun, 2013

Love him or hate him, I think most of us could agree that, if nothing else, Spike Lee's films are never boring. Or at least I thought so. Then I saw Mo' Better Blues.

• Amani

★★ Added by Amani

don't know the whole motivation behind the story. I mean I was on track in the beginning with him being a player and then things just wen awry. i would relate it to she hate me in that sense.

• Koala

Watched by Koala 05 Mar, 2013

The film was written for abstract, conclusive morals about "jazz" and "life" rather than for a story that can carry on a whole film.