• Daniel Charchuk

★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 18 Oct, 2010

It's more frustrating than anything; due to the insanely small budget, it's mostly slow and meandering. The aliens are nearly non-existent, but their off-screen assaults could've worked if the director knew anything about building tension or shooting in the dark. Still, it almost glides by on its premise, hampered mostly by the leads; they're annoying and unlikeable and totally uninteresting. I guess you get what you pay for.

It's still better than District 9 though.

• Chevalier

★★½ Added by Chevalier

The social context any good monster movie has is there, and the low key effects work great. Suck that i couldn't give a damn about the two lead characters.

• Dan Hassler-Forest

★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Hassler-Forest 15 Apr, 2014

Liked this a lot better the second time, watching it with my (more or less) undivided attention on a big screen instead of on my computer. Bodes well for Godzilla!

• Rodolfo Castrezana

★★★ Watched by Rodolfo Castrezana 10 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Daniel Paikov

★★★ Watched by Daniel Paikov 08 Apr, 2014

War of the Worlds as directed by Antonioni. Which is to say, not a very good War of the Worlds.

• MDF

★★★ Added by MDF

Is this mumblecore sci-fi? I have to admit, the film felt different and DIDN'T go exactly where I expected it to. There's talent here. I hope this director does Godzilla justice.

• YoYo

Watched by YoYo 03 Apr, 2014

Just painful.

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★★ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 06 Apr, 2014

An absolutely wonderful directorial debut by Gareth Edwards. Amazing pacing, great character work, really beautiful nature shots, plus those nature shots that have that wonderful special effects of the disaster left behind by the creatures.

I have absolute faith in his handling of Godzilla now. So glad I watched this.

• Matthew Vallee

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Vallee 04 Apr, 2014

This indie monster movie had an interesting and plausible concept, some beautiful cinematography and unlike other films in this genre, offered much more than mindless action. While the story moved a little slow, there was a great creepy atmosphere and a growing sense of danger. The subtle romantic sub-plot between the two lead characters was done in a way that felt natural and both actors gave great performances. I really liked how the creatures were kept mysterious by only minimally showing them and despite being low budget the special effects when they were shown looked very realistic.

• NinjaDomoEsq

★★½ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 28 Mar, 2014

A human, monster movie ... in that order. I found the ways in which Edwards navigates his lack of budget to be interesting, but sadly it only exceeds so much. Mainly, I never felt enough of a justification to focus the entire film on the two main characters, aside from them being the main characters, because they don't do a whole lot. They are both likable enough, but we want are some monsters and the pay off is underwhelming with…

• Michael Kastner

★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Kastner 27 Mar, 2014

Macht auch beim zweiten Mal Spaß. Der etwas andere Monsterfilm. Tolle Chemie zwischen Hauptdarstellern, einige echt schöne Einstellungen und ein sehr gutes Ende.

• Frank Dahlmeyer

★★★½ Added by Frank Dahlmeyer

Impressive visuals, pacing, and performances from the film's leads combined with great (very minimal) usage of the 'creature' create a truly remarkable experience. However, a lack of truly suspenseful moments and a lackluster finale hold it back from being a masterpiece of the post-invasion genre.