• AineLeicht

★★★★½ Watched by AineLeicht 03 Mar, 2015

Swoon. God I loved this.

• David Bonesteel

★★★★ Added by David Bonesteel

A crashed space probe results in giant Cthulhu-looking octopus monsters occupying a large swath of Mexico, which makes it difficult for a freelance photographer (Scoot McNairy) to chaperone the daughter (Whitney Ables) of a rich publisher back to the US. It seems that writer/director Gareth Edwards must be trying to say about the US/Mexico relationship, but I don't quite get it. This is a monster movie that is short on thrills but is redeemed by a completely immersing sense of atmosphere and a weird beauty.

• Brian Hann

★★★★½ Added by Brian Hann

A low budget monster movie. Watching this you could never guess the budget as this is an excellent looking sci fi monster movie with a great story. Great film.

• aleatori

★★★★½ Watched by aleatori 21 Feb, 2015

If you enjoyed Cloverfield, you will very likely also enjoy this one.
    And it has very nice post-apocalyptic scenery!

• Lena

Watched by Lena 15 Feb, 2015

Vorhersehbar. Und die vielen schönen Subtexte und Anspielungen (Umgang mit Einwanderung und dem Fremden an sich, unübersehbare Assoziationen zu Stalker, Apocalypse Now, Jurassic Park) werden auch nicht gerade gebührend eingebunden und ausformuliert. Aber eine Figur Scoot McNairys, dieses wahnsinnig authentischen Pechvogel-Darstellers, beinahe glücklich zu sehen zum Schluss ist auch mal schön.

• William Tallman

Watched by William Tallman 20 Feb, 2015

The problem with Monsters is that it starts off very interesting and sets up a really cool premise. Unfortunately, the final result is an unbelievably boring, forgettable and uninspired film that doesn't offer any entertainment whatsoever. The characters mean nothing, the performances are weak, and at only 93 minutes, it's still hard to sit through.

• Jessica Bowman

Watched by Jessica Bowman 14 Feb, 2015

Interesting premise. Story line set up to have lots of options. Director then decides he just wants long shots of the lead actress. Literally nothing interesting happens. Complete waste of time.

• markmooney

★★★★ Watched by markmooney 14 Feb, 2015

Gareth Edwards debut feature is a beautifully filmed drama thriller with Scott McNairy and Whitney Able.

• Tyler Foster

★★★½ Rewatched by Tyler Foster 01 May, 2014

Wasn't necessarily interested in giving this movie another shot, but my instructor put it on in class to demonstrate how effects for a film could be done from someone's garage if they knew how to use the tools. Enjoyed it significantly more on this second go-round with my expectations pre-adjusted.

• Locke

★½ Watched by Locke 14 Feb, 2015 8

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Leigh Janiak regarded Monsters as one of her most direct sources of inspiration for making Honeymoon, so I had to check it out! While Gareth Edward's début is commendable, practically making this entire film single-handedly (right down to doing the effects himself in his bedroom on a laptop) the results on screen are fairly mixed.

Although there is much in the way of allegory layered into the narrative, some critics have read so deeply into the unintentional that they seem…

• Bobby Karmi

★½ Watched by Bobby Karmi 09 Jan, 2015

I was not a fan of this film at all. I liked the idea of doing a film about a world devastated by monsters and how the world changes because of it, and I even like a more dramatic and less action heavy telling of that story. Not every monster movie needs to be Pacific Rim, after all. But instead of that, we got a film with boring/dull/annoying protagonists, a lack luster script, and a heavy handed metaphor about immigration.…

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★★½ Added by Henrik Wilhelmsson

I didn't much like Godzilla, but what Gareth Edwards did with this film is pretty amazing. Shot on fairly cheap prosumer cameras, with a tiny crew and all effects aninated by the man himself on an ordinary pc using consumer software...

Gives me hope for the first Star Wars spin-off, which Edwards is directing.