• Lianne Motshagen

★★★★ Watched by Lianne Motshagen 12 Apr, 2015

I never knew that a Sci-Fi movie could be such romantic!

• Itchload

★★ Watched by Itchload 02 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The perils of improvisation...

I just watched "The Abyss" and complained about how scripted all the dialogue sounded. Here we have the opposite problem. Mumbly quasi interesting conversations set against a lens flare aesthetic somewhere between 70's Spielberg and Terrence Malick.

The lead actor warbles and winces. He creepily fixates on his fellow protagonist. Even though she's engaged, he grows petulant when she doesn't immediately reciprocate his unsolicited touching and drunken make-out proposition.

The movie smartly doesn't feature much actual…

• Mark

★★★½ Watched by Mark 12 Apr, 2015

Interesting blend of sci-fi and romance and really well done considering the budget.

• Will Levinger

★★ Watched by Will Levinger 12 Apr, 2015 1

Intensely empty.

This Sunday on Netflix Cowboys: Low Budget Sci-Fi!

Tune in at 6pm (Pacific) here: chapmanradio.com/listenlive

• slyman

★★★★ Watched by slyman 10 Apr, 2015

PASSAGE TO AMERICA TICKETS / free gas mask! / only $5,000.00 / NO PASSPORT / NO VISA required

Film #7 (A film with a one word title!) of my Scavenger Hunt Challenge!
    letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt/

An almost Keaton-esque comedy of errors, except it's scary instead of funny.

Two word review: Low-fi thrills

• Eric Robinson

★★★ Watched by Eric Robinson 12 Apr, 2015

It's a smart low budget horror film that gives the impression that it's a big budget monster flick with its emphasis on tension and emotion rather than large scale destruction. The emotional side is the roughest part though, as the dialogue is simply not up to par to the film's effective direction.

• damug

★★½ Watched by damug 11 Apr, 2015

One big allegory for the horrors of illegal immigration.

• Matt Bedford

★★★★ Watched by Matt Bedford 08 Apr, 2015

I loved this film. Would have loved to have seen it on a big screen.

Although the premise and title suggest that this film is a creature feature, I feel that there was a prevalent metaphor for travelling and youth and frankly existing outside of the conventional square of western civilisation. Being an expat myself for a while, I could empathise with the main character's identity as being individuals where they were not the country they were from, but also…

• Reece Leonard

★★★½ Added by Reece Leonard

With style, social commentary, and some assured direction, "Monsters" is a solid and nuanced film.

• Joshua David

★★★ Watched by Joshua David 30 Mar, 2015

Watching this, I can see how Gareth Edwards got to make Godzilla. The work he did here with less than $500,000 is truly astounding. Unfortunately, the dialogue is bad, much of the acting is wooden, and Edwards slips into convention far too many times. I can also see how Godzilla ended up being a technically masterful mess with boring, underdeveloped characters.

• Victor Krause

★★★★ Added by Victor Krause

This movie is actually really great, but it is wildly mislabeled. The genres are wrong, the title is wrong; I (and I'm sure many other people) were expecting something very different. Which sucks because of how good this actually is. I was expecting Aliens and got more Close Encounters, which is totally fine by me. I bet I'll give it a half star boost on a rewatch now that I know it's not actually about monsters really. It's a beautiful film and I'm now more excited than ever for Gareth Edwards' future work.

• bulletproofQpid

★★★★ Rewatched by bulletproofQpid 06 Apr, 2015 4

The little no budget, made-by-seven-people-guerrilla-style monster movie that could...