• Arninja

★★★ Watched by Arninja 18 Nov, 2014

I'm not entirely convinced about this film. I don't know why, but it was a little disappointing at times. Great concept, worked out well, but still I was missing something and I can't put my finger on it...

Maybe it'll come to me with a rewatch..

• AMovieGuy.com's Leo Brady

★★★★ Watched by AMovieGuy.com's Leo Brady 16 Nov, 2014

Pretty clear why Edwards was chosen for Godzilla now. He has a great skill with showing us the monsters we want to see and letting viewers use their imaginations. "Monsters" looks like "Children of Men", but it is perceived more as an allegory for border patrol. The ending is awesome.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 02 Mar, 2011

Cloverfield and District 9 began a new trend in sci-fi by taking a more vivid and natural approach towards blending in the fantastic with the mundanity of everyday life. Monsters might seek to be grouped with these previous efforts, with it's vivid portrayal of a Mexico invaded by alien creatures (just like District 9 it's allegorical of current social and immigration issues). It's impressive to see this pulled off on a low budget. However, the premise of two Americans passing…

• James Healey

★★★½ Watched by James Healey 12 Jan, 2013

Pretty good film, a mix of District 9, Jurassic Park, Blood Diamond and Cloverfield. A little slow at times and the lack of ending keeps the score down, though

• Zonnywhoop

★½ Watched by Zonnywhoop 02 Nov, 2014

When all the action in your movie about Monsters occurs in the first five minutes, you know you've got a problem. But what really drags this movie down is not the fact that the focal point isn't the monsters themselves (in fact, that could be its most endearing quality) but that the lead characters and their lifeless love story couldn't be less interesting.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to make a movie that's called "Monsters" only about monsters, but you need to make it about something.

• ortolanph

★★★★ Watched by ortolanph 13 Nov, 2014

This movie is about a photographer that needs to take a girl home from Mexico back to USA. The problem is that couple of years ago an alien outbreak happened between US and Mexico creating an infected zone. They have to cross this infected zone to reach the US border.

The alien are not the main attraction on this movie. The imminence is real. Alien appear on the movie devastating everything or responding to human violence.

That seems to me…

• Patrick Thompson

★★½ Watched by Patrick Thompson 07 Nov, 2014

The title of this movie should be Monsters??

• Chriskr

★★★ Added by Chriskr

This sci-fi monter movie had a relatively low budget meaning it's a bit lighter on the special effects and the character's experience is more grounded. A bit slow at times but overall it works.

• Rowan Simpson

★★★ Watched by Rowan Simpson 01 Nov, 2014

Giant spaghetti monsters.

• Barry Donovan

★★ Watched by Barry Donovan 31 Oct, 2014 1

Like Godzilla, this film features barely any actual monsters.

Like Godzilla, this film features barely any actual Bryan Cranston.

Disappointed.

• Jonas Danielsson

★★★½ Watched by Jonas Danielsson 12 Jan, 2014

This film will probably always be remembered for what it led to more than what it was. Gareth Edwards made this unusual combo of indie drama and monster movie for a shoestring budget, which impressed some Hollywood hotshots so much that they decided to give him a several order of magnitudes higher budget in exchange for toning down that indie drama stuff. The result was of course the latest incarnation of Godzilla, a movie I have yet to watch.

But…

• xurvi

★★★ Watched by xurvi 23 Oct, 2014

A film where a lack of depth isn't detrimental to the overall experience. Monsters slowly pulls you in with the scenery and the desire to go home. But what really makes this post-apocalyptic film stand out is it's courage to rediscover beauty during traumatic events. The journey may have been painfully arduous, the creatures only featured as cameos, but the ending will definitely stay with you.