• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

This is nearly a perfect movie. A compelling premise is allowed to blossom through interesting characters, awe-inspiring cinematography, and a tense storyline that never quite veers towards horror, but includes enough taut moments to propel the story onward.

Conceptually science fiction, Monsters proves that the core of any good story is the characters and plot execution, such that the overall effect ends up being more suspense and drama. This allows Monsters to eclipse its genre trappings and be just a really excellent film.

• PointMan528491

★★★½ Added by PointMan528491

It may not entirely live up to its interesting premise, and it suffers from a few pacing problems, but Monsters is a great sci-fi character drama nonetheless, benefiting from two great performances and brilliant direction and visual effects.

• EmaLee FitzSimmons

★★★ Added by EmaLee FitzSimmons

A great concept, cool visual effects and sound design, and some good scares are weighed down be two painfully uninteresting leads. They don't ruin the movie, but they do keep it from being a great one.

Part of my Hoop-Tober challenge!

• Haber345

★★★★½ Watched by Haber345 05 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober Movie #4

I didn't know what I was signing up for when I started to watch Monsters. I assumed it was going to be a horror movie, a scare your pants off kind of thing. And I am pretty glad that I am wrong. Thus far, I've seen Silence of the Lambs, The Wicker Man, and Scream, none of which are this type of scared shitless types of movies, and I think it's a good start to the month.…

• Volker Bohlmann

★★★ Watched by Volker Bohlmann 04 Oct, 2014

Kleiner Fernsehabend bei einem Freund und bei diesem cthulhuesken Cover hatte man Lust zu gucken.
    Dieser Film war nun wirklich nicht, wie erwartet. Wenig Spannung, nette Liebesgeschichte, typische Schlussszene für so ein Szenario.
    War OK.

Kein Cthulhu!!! :'(

• Tom Beasley

★★★★ Watched by Tom Beasley 05 Oct, 2014

Made for less than $500,000 and crewed by fewer than 10 people, Monsters should be credited just as much for its ambition as for its eventual achievement.

It's a triumph of low-budget filmmaking, placing its emphasis on the relationship drama at its core rather than the creature visuals, which are used sparingly to fantastic dramatic effect.

There are some pacing problems, but for the amount it cost, the film is a staggering achievement. No wonder Gareth Edwards got the call to make Godzilla.

• Scott Houseknecht

★★★★ Watched by Scott Houseknecht 29 Sep, 2014

I went into the viewing expecting one thing and came out with something totally different. What I thought would be your typical monster movie ended up having a lot of heart. This feels more like a classic zombie film along the lines of Dawn of the Dead crossed over with Jurassic Park. The film spends less time focused on action and more time developing the characters to the point where you actually care if they make it through to the end. Top that off with some amazing visuals and you get Monsters.

• Adam Schoales

★★★½ Watched by Adam Schoales 29 Sep, 2014

For those who were disappointed by the pacing and style of the recent Godzilla reboot, going into it having seen director Gareth Edwards previous film, Monsters would go a long way to setting your expectations.

Monsters is not your average creature feature. In fact it's not even your average horror film. It's a much more measured and personal tale; one with characters who are real and grounded.

Granted, the film is perhaps a little light on scares and tension. It's…

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Monsters may not live up to your taste of complete alien-type movie. However, it is simple beautiful sci-fi movie. Lead characters are perfectly grooming in their roles and show subtlety. I enjoyed it as much as I did 'District 9'.

• Stef

★★★½ Watched by Stef 28 Sep, 2014

I began watching this expecting yet another survival sci-fi monster action flick, and found myself experiencing something completely different.

Monsters is a subdued, slow paced, captivating drama that just happens to take place in a post-extraterrestrial first contact/invasion setting. It's beautifully shot, with excellent VFX, a lovely soundtrack, an interesting concept, and a great cast.

It would have been a solid four stars if it'd just pushed a little bit further; Monsters is but a snapshot of a far larger…

• Rob McGregor

★★½ Watched by Rob McGregor 21 Apr, 2014

In which... Gareth Edwards provides one of the most original monster movies in years, but constantly undermines himself with bad choices when it comes to plot.... still it got him noticed for Hollywood films, so it can't be all that bad.

• feedingbrett

★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 19 Sep, 2014 2

Review In A Nutshell:

After seeing the satisfying Godzilla film by Gareth Edwards, I was curious to find out and watch the rest of the director's filmography. It turns out that his previous film was his debut feature film, Monsters. Expectations were not particularly high with this film as I have glanced over some of the ratings that others have given it, and there were a number of people that gave it a low score. After seeing Monsters, it did…