• Anthony

Watched by Anthony 27 Aug, 2015

On an abstract level, I appreciate that Monsters looks good despite the fact that it was made on a shoestring budget. As a viewer, I don't much care what it cost. Similarly, I appreciate that Monsters takes risks by defying genre expectations, focusing more on the indie romance between the two principals than the monsters and the action. As a viewer, I go into a movie called Monsters sort of hoping to see... monsters. I'm just not in the headspace…

• nocat

★★★ Added by nocat

A mismatched couple must make their way through deadly Mexican territory infested by giant alien monsters to reach the U.S. border. The allegory is anvilicious. The characters take a while to develop enough depth to allow a viewer to relate, especially the main male character, who's a huge jerk. The plot is a bit contrived.

I can forgive all that because I loved the way the monsters were handled. They're not confined to the limited role of the thinly veiled…

• Tom Prankerd

★★★½ Watched by Tom Prankerd 21 Aug, 2015

I do wish I'd seen this before Godzilla as it fits the approach so much better and might have altered my expectations of Edwards' second film. Monsters sketches a hugely plausible post-visit Earth without detracting from the magic of the aliens. The leads are a little flat and their nascent relationship not quite up to carrying the weight the film asks of it but it's not enough to spoil this cerebral little film

• Amy

★★★ Watched by Amy 20 Aug, 2015

The big monsters were cool. A couple of good scares. The final few minutes turned me off.

• Andrew Willis

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Willis 22 Mar, 2011

I am kind of taken with this film. Shot for a budget of $800,000 this is a sci-fi monster movie wrapped up in a romance flick. Kaulder is a photo journalist in Mexico where his assignment just got changed. He is now to escort the bosses daughter back safely to America. Why is is dangerous? An alien race has landed and is currently "contaminating" most of Central America.

This movie is a mash up of Cloverfield and District 9 (Movie…

• matthewmarkham

★★ Added by matthewmarkham

Meh. Comparisons to Before Sunrise are insulting, this film has no chemistry. Some good cinematography.

• SouloGuero

★½ Added by SouloGuero

This is one of those "little-indies-that-could." Unfortunately it wasn't enough. I don't know what else to say. It bordered on SyFy quality and seemed to use a low budget to be "purposefully minimalistic." Well, is that great art or great economy with the price tag still showing?

• originaltylerd

★★★★★ Watched by originaltylerd 04 Aug, 2015

Monsters is a beautiful, intelligent, and underrated independent sci-fi thriller. The impressive visuals and perfect score, as well as the simple, fast-moving plot and likable characters make this one of the best alien/monster movies of the last decade.

• Rodrigo Chiquiti

★★★½ Watched by Rodrigo Chiquiti 25 Oct, 2013

Monsters deu as caras em Cannes e no Festival do Rio em 2010 e merece destaque por sua realização e produção independente. Gareth Edwards com apenas quinhentos mil dólares financiou o seu primeiro filme de estreia no cinema. O coleguinha só precisou de uma equipe de cinco pessoas, elenco de duas, uma filmadora Sony EX3, uma Canon 50 MM Lens e Adobe CS4 arquitetado em 64-bit. Com isso rodou pelo México à procura de locações a esmo e alguns atores…

• dedudade

★★★★★ Rewatched by dedudade 28 Jul, 2015

Stimmt alles, hier. Beim ersten Mal extrem positiv überrascht, beim zweiten Mal nur begeistert. Ziemlich perfekt.

• Paskalis Damar

★★★½ Watched by Paskalis Damar 25 May, 2015

Gareth Edwards’ pre-Godzilla monster invasion flick is a fresh meat to the genre. Laying the suspense upon main characters’ interactions with each other is the core; meanwhile, stellar performance from McNairy and his eventual wife is such an genre gem.

Monsters is a proof that monsters do not always need big budget to prey; they only need fresh scripts.

• Sc8lo

★★★½ Rewatched by Sc8lo 28 Sep, 2011

We needed something like this. Hard to get a good monster movie.
    Well shot and delivered spot on.