• Sheryl

★★★★ Watched by Sheryl 04 May, 2016

Film #5 of the May '16 Scavenger Hunt
    Task #8: A low budget, high concept sci-fi film

~Surprise, surprise, I love the sci-fi film in this challenge... XD

Movies like this make me want more than anything to be a filmmaker and I already know I totally suck at actually working a camera. But Monsters is so quietly tense and subtle in execution. Scoot McNairy and Whitney Abe are wonderful, imperfect leads. The world-building is fabulously rich. And the fact that Gareth Edwards did so much of it on his own is just icing on the cake. Wondrously ambitious with a lot of pay-off.

• Tom Austin-Morgan

★★★½ Watched by Tom Austin-Morgan 03 May, 2016

The touching story of two people thrown together in extreme circumstances who learn that life isn't all about what's expected of you or your own selfish drive as they traverse an alien infested area of Mexico back to the USA. First time director, Gareth Edwards, did all the soecial effect in his bedroom and in places it shows, but they stand up to other blockbusters from 2010 because they're used sparingly and effectively. There are some fairly heavy-handed criticisms of…

• BastiToGo

★★★★½ Watched by BastiToGo 02 May, 2016

Gareth Edwards hat hier ein Film gedreht der mich sehr überrascht hat. Hatte eigentlich nicht sonderlich große Erwartungen und wurde mit einem sehr guten Roadmovie/Liebesfilm belohnt.
    Der Film macht es wie "The walking Dead" auch und rückt die Gefahr der Monster in den Hintergrund. Man merkt und weiß das sie da sind doch konzentriert sich der Film eher auf seine Umgebung und die Nachwirkungen.
    Auch das Monsterdesign selber finde ich ganz gut. Klar wurde das Rad nicht neu erfunden aber…

• FilmFreek25

★★★ Added by FilmFreek25

Quickie Review
    Gareth Edwards' sci-if drama-thriller is more of a character piece than it is a full-on creature feature. The character element, powered by Scoot McNairy & Whitney Able, is quite good but the movie's such a slow burner that by the time the creature feature element kicks in, you nearly lose interest. Only watch it if you have the heavy duty patience of a Royal Palace guard.

• Alex Vaughan

★★★½ Watched by Alex Vaughan 23 Apr, 2016

Very interesting until you realise that the film is over and nothing happened yet...

• ArizonaJim

★★★ Added by ArizonaJim

This low budget science fiction film was much liked when it was released last year, but I missed it. Now I’ve caught up with it. There are big octopus alien monster things in northern Mexico and the U.S. armed forces are trying to keep them under control. Scoot McNairy is a photo-journalist trying to get some pictures of the monsters; the boss of his magazine orders him to help his daughter, Whitney Able, out of the area. They head for…

• Capra_cinefila

★★ Added by Capra_cinefila

L'esordio di Edwards è un sufficiente film d'autore (cura quasi tutto lui: dagli effetti alla fotografia, alla sceneggiatura), che punta tutto sull'eticha del foto-reporter e sul nazionalismo oltranzista americano. Compassato nel ritmo, cercando più la contemplazione, che la pura azione (praticamente zero).Un po' sonnacchioso nell'incedere e la storia dei due è un po' debole; ma come opera prima direi che tutto sommato non è da buttare.

• James Davies

★★½ Rewatched by James Davies 24 Apr, 2016

This is the second time I've seen this, and strangely, I think I preferred it more the first time. I know its not a story about the 'monsters', more of a story of two people falling in love, but I found it rather boring and slow paced, and ultimately lost interest.

• Diego Huenchur

★★★ Watched by Diego Huenchur 20 Apr, 2016

Le cuesta empezar, pero logra satisfacer. No es una gran película, pero la propuesta es interesante.

• Steve Schrader

★★★½ Watched by Steve Schrader 18 Apr, 2016

I liked this one quite a bit. It follows two people as they try to make their way safely through an "infected" zone - an area that has basically been given up to a giant alien life form that crash landed there years ago.

I'm not sure why this movie worked so well for me. I liked the slower pace, with a lot of focus on the two main characters. The aliens and the mystery surrounding them become part of the overall setting. The aliens have become a regular part of their lives, but there are still plenty of details for them to discover.

• gump

★★ Watched by gump 15 Apr, 2016

Slow burn movies like this can work incredibly well, when there is something worth waiting for. Here, I felt like there was no payoff. You just wait for over an hour until something happens and then you go 'Oh, okay' and then it ends. Okay.

• FilmApe

★★★★ Rewatched by FilmApe 09 Apr, 2016

One of the more ambitious low budget films of the 10s that somehow got away with not having to be a found footage movie.