• MattsNotYours

★★★★★ Watched by MattsNotYours 17 Nov, 2014

Fell in love with the low-budget nature of this film.

The hand held camera style usually puts me in a murderous rage but this film is so wonderfully understated and the way we are thrown into the film with the two principle characters makes for a much more exciting monster movie.

The graphic scenes are dealt with poise and respect which is thoroughly appreciated and the relationship of Andrew and Samantha is believable and fun to watch.

• Patrick Pryor

Added by Patrick Pryor

I thought this was a sequel to the Aileen Wuornos movie. Fuck.

• joelhwa

★★½ Watched by joelhwa 10 Oct, 2010

5/10: The movie posters reminded me of another alien sci-fi District 9 (2009) but don't expect it's as good as that. The idea of alien life form infecting earth is promising, but the story between the two main casts just do not do justice to the movie.

• Nola

★★★½ Watched by Nola 09 Dec, 2014

The beauty of this film is its subtlety which seems an odd thing to say about a movie featuring huge tentacled extra terrestrials but it's true.

The detail of the border crossings into the 'contaminated zones': the signage, the run down towns, the un-subtitled spanish dialogue- it all feels reel, perhaps because some of it is inspired by truths.

In a way, this film is about fear but not just the blindly running from scary aliens kind of fear. Instead…

• hotsake

★★★½ Added by hotsake

• hotsake

★★★½ Added by hotsake

I really liked how they treated the Giant monsters/aliens in this film. The creatures have a sense of awe and force of nature around them. I don't like the female character at all and at first I didn't like the male character either but I started to like him better as the movie progressed.

• zioluc

★★★★ Added by zioluc

atmosfera stupenda. Ce ne fossero

• TheGiantClaw

★★ Added by TheGiantClaw

Directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla), based off of his short film, Monsters is a film that seems to think it's a much deeper movie than it actually is.
    While I give props to Edwards for boldly creating an independent creature feature, something quite difficult on such a small budget, I felt that this film fell short of its mark.

The film takes part in a world where aliens have taken over a small portion of the USA and Mexico and…

• Joey

★★★★ Added by Joey

It baffles me that this is the same director who made the new Godzilla. Because this is a great movie with an interesting human story that never makes me feel like the monsters are being hidden, despite them having very little screen time.

In other words, it's the exact opposite of Godzilla.

• Arninja

★★★ Watched by Arninja 18 Nov, 2014

I'm not entirely convinced about this film. I don't know why, but it was a little disappointing at times. Great concept, worked out well, but still I was missing something and I can't put my finger on it...

Maybe it'll come to me with a rewatch..

• AMovieGuy.com's Leo Brady

★★★★ Watched by AMovieGuy.com's Leo Brady 16 Nov, 2014

Pretty clear why Edwards was chosen for Godzilla now. He has a great skill with showing us the monsters we want to see and letting viewers use their imaginations. "Monsters" looks like "Children of Men", but it is perceived more as an allegory for border patrol. The ending is awesome.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 02 Mar, 2011

Cloverfield and District 9 began a new trend in sci-fi by taking a more vivid and natural approach towards blending in the fantastic with the mundanity of everyday life. Monsters might seek to be grouped with these previous efforts, with it's vivid portrayal of a Mexico invaded by alien creatures (just like District 9 it's allegorical of current social and immigration issues). It's impressive to see this pulled off on a low budget. However, the premise of two Americans passing…