• Steve G

★★★★ Rewatched by Steve G 22 Nov, 2015

Sunday Munch!

Pretty much haven't changed my stance on Monsters since my last review. This is still a pretty splendid change of pace for the traditional monster movie that also manages to be a very solid romance at the same time, with excellent performances from Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able (Jean Seberg Scale rating - 8).

Just one additional thing though. I once knew a complete idiot on a forum I used to go on who once proclaimed there was nothing more romantic than a petrol station at night. Maybe he was right after all?

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Rewatched by feedingbrett 22 Nov, 2015

Over the course of cinema’s history, the heart of many films lie in the grand scheme of things, capturing soaring tales through spectacular fashion, instilling escapism and wrenching drama. Intimacy in cinema has existed equally as long, yet repeatedly they are captured in equivalence to the atmosphere of their surroundings, their directors shrinking its scope to accurately portray the wavering emotions. Unorthodox can more often than not leave a remarkable impression upon an audience, to experience challenging and stimulating elements…

• Harrison Mitchell

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Mitchell 14 Nov, 2015

What a striking, beautiful, haunting directorial debut by Gareth Edwards.

• Spencer Serra

★★★ Watched by Spencer Serra 11 Nov, 2015

Visually appealing, but it's somewhat undone by its slug-like pacing and an occasionally shoddy script.

• Callum Perritt

★★★★ Watched by Callum Perritt 09 Nov, 2015

Film #7 of the November 2015 Scavenger Hunt Challenge
    Task #7: A film with aliens set on Earth (outside of the USA or UK).

It is pretty incredible that Gareth Edwards' first feature-length film, shot on a budget of no more than $500k, earned him the chance to direct 2014's Godzilla, whose $160m budget was almost as gargantuan as it's title character. The reboot did relatively well critically and performed brilliantly at the box office, so with this in…

• Pete Laurie

★★★½ Watched by Pete Laurie 02 Nov, 2015 1

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Gareth Edwards’ next movie is one of the Star Wars spin offs. Gareth Edwards’ last movie was the massive budget, big summer blockbuster latest take on Godzilla. Before that, he had only made one feature length movie. It had no stars and was made for almost no money. So, how does a dude go from making a no name, no budget debut, to getting the keys to franchises like Godzilla and Star Wars? He used his no stars and no…

• Joyce Heinen

★★★ Watched by Joyce Heinen 06 Nov, 2015 1

Film # 7 of the "Scavenger Hunt # 8" Challenge
    Task # 7: A film with aliens set on Earth but not in the USA or UK
    letterboxd.com/joyceheinen/list/scavenger-hunt-november-2015/ ___________________________________________________________________
    “Monsters” shows us that you don’t need a big budget to make a good movie. Gareth Edwards made his directorial debut with this film. Edwards used locations that he happened to see while traveling and used the local citizens as supporting actors. Most of the dialogues were improvised and most of…

• Conan Tan

★★½ Watched by Conan Tan 12 Oct, 2015

• Noah Welsh

★★★½ Watched by Noah Welsh 03 Nov, 2015

A surprisingly slow-paced film, Monsters fills its runtime with staggering cinematography and deep emotional depth. While certain tense scenes throw back to the original Jurassic Park, this is its own type of film entirely.

The settings are amazing and the special effects beyond impressive for an independent film. Perhaps a bit too much time passes between truly engaging set pieces, but that ends up being okay. The climax is completely unexpected: quiet, beautiful, and perfectly executed. It makes sense that Edwards was placed in the director's chair for Godzilla, though it could be argued that the characters in this film are far more engaging.

• mariusdownunder

★★★★ Watched by mariusdownunder 21 Nov, 2010

Watched in November 2010

If you want big budget, blazing special effects, gore creating aliens, panicked citizens and the destruction of landmarks in your alien/sci-fi/horror film then Monsters isn't for you. If you prefer a a toned down story that focus's more on the human story and less on the alien one then this is the film you should see.

Several years after a NASA probe carrying alien DNA crashes in Mexico a young photographer is charged with getting a…

• tbucksandbells

★★★½ Added by tbucksandbells

Beautiful cinematography, great color grading, beautiful editing ideas. But please, we woul've wanted more beasts, and less clivage!

• neglify19

★★½ Watched by neglify19 27 Oct, 2015

Film #27 of the "Scavenger Hunt #7 Challenge"
    Item #12: A epidemic infection or disease movie

I don't know what I think of this one. It wasn't bad, but I didn't like it. I knew going in that we wouldn't see much of the monsters, since I've seen Godzilla and read that's how Edwards likes to show off creatures. I just wish the characters had been better developed and the dialogue wasn't total garbage. I'll probably rewatch it years down the line, and maybe then I'll appreciate it.