• Keenan

★★★½ Watched by Keenan 24 Jul, 2014

A really solid indie sci-fi movie which does a great job of moving quickly through the exposition and allowing the characters to drive the plot. The atmosphere created in this movie suits the story perfectly and makes it feel natural. A really well done film, especially with such a small budget.

• wolverinefactor

★★★ Watched by wolverinefactor 24 Jul, 2014

Via Netflix - After the letdown that was Godzilla (2014) I have decided to check out where it all went wrong. Monsters is directed just like the latest iteration of Godzilla. The catch is that it works better in this scope while Godzilla needed that in your face destruction. Oddly enough our characters here are a million times deeper than the entire cast of Godzilla combined.

• Jason

★½ Watched by Jason 11 Jul, 2014

If anything, I'm glad this gave Scoot Mcnairy and Gareth Edwards a chance to seize much better film opportunities.

• Luke Ryan

★★★ Watched by Luke Ryan 07 Jun, 2014

After seeing Gareth Edwards' latest movie Godzilla, I felt compelled to check out his directorial debut, that definitely serves as the beginning of a rags to riches type story. Taking on the directing, filming, editing, and special effects(of which the movie is almost saturated with) himself was an incredible feat. Sure it feels like a low budget movie most of the time, but it looked great for the most part.

I enjoyed seeing a monster/adventure movie with two leads who…

• Mike

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike 09 Jul, 2014

Cast Commentary

With Scoot McNairy, Whitney Able and Director Gareth Edwards.

Nice little commentary from these 3, some really interesting comments regarding how and why they did things. What was real, added in post. Fun listening to how Whitney and Scoot fell in love with each other.

Really enjoyed it

4/5

• anewchallenger

★½ Added by anewchallenger

White Americans have white people problems like getting overcharged for things in foreign countries and learn from aliens and Mexicans (same diff here) that their biggest problem is their boring, privileged lives.

Kill me now.

• Phil

★★★½ Added by Phil 9

Scénario innatendu (pour ma part, je pensait que c'était un genre de Mobydick 2000) qui se tient du début à la fin, effets spéciaux très convainquants pour le budget. La pochette représente très mal le contenu du film qui traite en fait d'une vision interessante des effets d'une invasion par des organismes extra-terrestres et du voyage des deux personnages principaux pour retourner aux USA. J'ai trouvé les personnages intéressants, autant les principaux que les secondaires. Le non-dit est vraiment apprécié, plusieurs questions restent en suspend. Ça faissait longtemps que je n'avais pas vu un film de sci-fi qui ne prenait pas pour un cave.

• James Gorton

★★★★ Rewatched by James Gorton 07 Jul, 2014

The most impressive thing about Monsters is the world Edwards creates; the result of guerrilla shooting and well utilised effects.

• Vanessa

★★ Watched by Vanessa 05 Jul, 2014 1

My only motivation for coming home to watch this after the festivities was because I had engaging hallucinations earlier--I kept thinking I was seeing giant cephalopods tearing through the city...really though it was probably the damn fireworks and their clouds??

Whatever the case, I guess I'll say something honest now. I must say, I was excited to end the night with a 'monster' flick, and boy was I wrong to choose this one. But wait a minute nessy, didn't you…

• caveman298

★★ Watched by caveman298 26 Jun, 2014

Nearly very good, if not for the fact that the story became lost and the characters came across as drab.

• Mike P

Watched by Mike P 02 Jul, 2014 2

Indie-cute--interpersonal drama, moon-faced stares, and plinking piano cues abound--monster film sans the titular monsters. In other words, contains approximately 5 minutes of actual monsters.

• Sydney

★★★½ Watched by Sydney 01 Jul, 2014

So, this movie kind of touched me to the point that I read up a bit on the story behind it and how it was made.

The chemistry between the two leads was incredibly organic, and it turns out that they are married in real life. The other actors were mostly just people they talked into being in the film unpaid and there was little concrete dialogue written. This, along with some handheld cameras, cause this film to feel more…