• b4hc

Rewatched by b4hc 26 Apr, 2015

with sean on blu.

• Red_Dufresne

★★★ Watched by Red_Dufresne 26 Apr, 2015

Wes Anderson is an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire. His quirky style unfortunately does nothing for me this film as a result seems superficial and obnoxious. Beyond some precise (but heavy handed) jabs at militarism and the concept of a nuclear family, Anderson seems to treat every character with unrelenting self consciousness and derision. The photography is nice but Anderson's distracting visual style is a hindrance rather than a benefit. The ending also seems to embrace a foolish and misguided innocence over anything more substantial, even as both ideologies are excessively lampooned in the film.

• HotDonkeyBear

★★★★ Rewatched by HotDonkeyBear 25 Apr, 2015

Another artful excursion into the mind of Wes Anderson. Fans will love it, naysayers will likely find it indulgent and wanky. It's great to see so many newcomers to his ensemble cast list, with Willis and Norton standing out in roles you wouldn't ordinarily expect to see them in.

The central relationship between the two young leads is heartwarming in its awkwardness, the strange and alien desire that comes from a first love really are exposed in all its sweet awfulness, which handled by a less adept filmmaker would have the audience reaching for the sick bucket.

Gorgeous and adorable... like my face.

• Debbie

★★★★ Rewatched by Debbie 26 Apr, 2015 3

I appreciated MOONRISE a lot more after this watch. Maybe because I had to watch it in order to do my film assignment. But it didn't ring as absurd as I thought initially. Is it so strange to think that children aren't the only ones who haven't got their life together? (Also bless Wes Anderson's choice to include Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra... I love that piece to eternity).

• Netwin Waldro

★★★★★ Watched by Netwin Waldro 06 Mar, 2014

Colours, brightness, innocence!

• C.C. Baxter

Rewatched by C.C. Baxter 24 Apr, 2015

Film #24 of the "Scavenger Hunt" Challenge

letterboxd.com/cc_baxter/list/scavenger-hunt/

30. If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have 1 film what would it be!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Why this one indeed, it was an impulse.

Beautiful to watch, it would make me feel the right kind of nostalgia, in fact stopping every other frame to notice every little detail that's been arranged to perfection would be a very good way to pass the time.

Also thematically, escaping from their…

• Marcus

★★★★½ Watched by Marcus 11 Apr, 2015

I had no idea I would enjoy this kind of comedy. Such brilliance, such genius. And what a sweet story!

• Leonardo Marchezini

★★★★★ Watched by Leonardo Marchezini 22 Apr, 2015

Surely one of the most beautiful things I've ever watched.

• RetroReef

★★★★½ Watched by RetroReef 21 Apr, 2015

Fun movie. Bob Balaban. Good music. Charming.

• JohnAllegretti

Watched by JohnAllegretti 23 Jun, 2014

Owned - Blu-Ray

• Andrew Dodderidge

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew Dodderidge 21 Apr, 2015 2

When you match Wes Anderson's quirkiness with a beautiful love story it becomes a grand master work. That is Moonrise Kingdom. There is so much bizarre dialogue that it is hard to even catch it all on first visit. All of the acting is great, especially Norton and Willis (who I didn't even recognize). I may need to watch it again before I decide, but I think Kingdom might be Anderson's best work.

• Samantha Overfield

★★★★ Watched by Samantha Overfield 19 Apr, 2015

This was awkwardly wonderful.