• Allie Hawkins

★★★★½ Watched by Allie Hawkins 18 Nov, 2015

When I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel this year, I had to admit it was the first Wes Anderson movie I’d seen. I remember a good few of our blogging buddies recommending Moonrise Kingdom to me, and I’m just sorry it’s taken me quite this long to give it a go! After exposing myself to more action moves than I could handle, I was ready for something quieter, and this was the perfect choice.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) is a beautiful…

• Franco Begbie

★★★★ Watched by Franco Begbie 24 Nov, 2015

Note: (This is my 2nd Wes Anderson film. My first was Grand Budapest.)

Wes Anderson is an auteur; that is, he has his own vision of what a movie should be. Never has that been more apparent than in Moonrise Kingdom.

Moonrise Kingdom follows two twelve-year olds as they fall in love and run away, over the course of a three day period. The plot thickens; numerous characters come in and ultimately make this an ensemble film, even though the…

• Joe Campbell

★★★★ Watched by Joe Campbell 23 Nov, 2015

Wes Anderson captures the spirit of child life in camp in the 60's magically. For aesthetic all around, you'd be hard pressed to find a film more satisfying. The film also captures the childlike need to be dangerous very well. These aren't kids living in a world of pads and safety nets, these are kids who play poker in tree houses built at lethal levels above the ground. These are kids who aren't afraid to wield scissors and chart their…

• Nick Kline

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nick Kline 21 Nov, 2015

"Mile 3.25 Tidal Inlet was erased from the map"

• ginsbus

★★★½ Watched by ginsbus 20 Nov, 2015

I'm not really into Wes Anderson, but this was charming enough that his style worked for it.

• cherprayers

★★★★ Watched by cherprayers 19 Nov, 2015

This movie was utterly charming. It definitely has the Wes Anderson aesthetic which I'm falling more and more in love with. The story is so endearing because it focuses around kids, and I think kids are a wonderful subject that movies don't go in depth enough with. The cast was absolutely phenomenal too, even if the kids weren't the most experienced, but that's fine really. The soundtrack really stood out to me in this. Very calming and it's definitely something I could see myself listening to on a calm Sunday afternoon.

• Rian Mercer

★★★★ Watched by Rian Mercer 31 Aug, 2015

This film is depressing and light-hearted in a beautiful way. The relationships these characters create, the implied absence of relationships, and their interactions with their surroundings are all incredibly true to life despite being rather exaggerated. Of course, liking this will depend on how much you like Wes Anderson's other works.

• Anders Devine

★★★★★ Added by Anders Devine

The second-best Wes Anderson film. Perfect for anyone.

• Bryan Reeves

Techs 20/20
    Entertainment 17/20

• metafcuk

★★★★ Rewatched by metafcuk 16 Nov, 2015

the criterion packaging for this is fucking beautiful.

• getflecked

★★★★★ Watched by getflecked 07 Nov, 2015

Some of the best quirkiness I've ever seen, and Wes Anderson obviously seems to know what he's doing. In fact, it is by far Wes Anderson's most flawless film. The Grand Budapest Hotel was amazing and all, but it was full of flaws.

I never expected the performances from the children to be flawlessly incredible. They don't ever act like they just want attention; they are committed to their role like it's the best performance they'd ever pull off. Hopefully…

• Thejrdzone

★★★½ Watched by Thejrdzone 15 Nov, 2015

I loved the cinematography, and I had a few chuckles here and there, but why was everyone's acting so wooden (Even Willis and Murray!)? It was an interesting coming-of-age story that I'll probably watch again.