• rjt

Watched by rjt 01 Aug, 2014

Why is this film so well-reviewed?

Why is it all goofy?

The worst film I've seen in a long time.

Ugh.

• Charlie Rogers

★★★★½ Added by Charlie Rogers

A lot of people are raving about this "thinking man's blockbuster" (with an apparently crappy ending, no spoilers) Snowpiercer, but I don't feel like spending $6 for it on Amazon, so I watched 2009's Mother instead. Is it racist for me to have assumed that this Jong-Ho Bon Bon guy made kung-fu movies or something before going to Hollywood? I hate those kinds of guys, but fortunately, Jong-Ho's much wittier than that. Roger Ebert called this a "movie for grown-ups",…

• Zoë Ames

★★★★★ Watched by Zoë Ames 20 Jul, 2014

David Ehrlich Tweeted recently that the most impressive thing about SNOWPIERCER is it's Bong Joon-Ho's worst film. Now I see what he meant. I liked SNOWPIERCER, and I love THE HOST, but man. It's got nothing on this.

Might be the most perfectly constructed murder mystery I've ever seen.

• Matt Suppes

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Suppes 18 Jul, 2014

Perhaps my favorite Bong Joon-Ho movie. Hye-Ja's and Won-Bin's performance are amazing, and Bong's story and direction feel like classic Spielberg, Hitchcock, and the Coens all wrapped into one. Funny, cinematic, and always shifting from high comedy to brutal tragedy at the tip of a hat. This is the type of Korean cinema that gets to me better than the Oldboy/I Saw the Devil super-stylized hyper-gore stuff (good as that is).

• sprizzle

★★★★ Watched by sprizzle 18 Jul, 2014

Make sure to take your ginkgo when you're out for revenge.

Mother falls into a category of movies that is very popular in several Asian cultures. Drama, thriller, mystery, revenge movie. But this isn't white noise. It's one of the most meticulously put together and well-acted films to come out of Korea. It's obvious that Joon-ho Bong is a moviegoer. He uses a lot of common tropes and shots but puts it all together in a way that is his…

• jswysin

★★★★★ Rewatched by jswysin 13 Jul, 2014

"A boy's best friend is his mother."

• John

★★★★½ Watched by John 06 Jul, 2014

I think the only important thing about this movie is that 김혜자, who plays the role of the titular mother, is amazing. She is in almost every scene, and does a fantastic job doing everything that they ask of her (which is quite a lot). The movie's story, a standard mystery, is old-hat but not tiresome, and while there are certainly twists in the plot, it certainly wasn't the strongest part. What struck me the most about this movie is…

• geleiademocoto

★★★½ Watched by geleiademocoto 06 Jul, 2014

A competent and well put together mystery drama with a decent plot and a few interesting scenes and shots. This is a film my parents would enjoy watching on a Sunday evening.

• yrsurfinman

Watched by yrsurfinman 30 Jun, 2014

Moody thriller with bizarre but convincing characters and a surprising and deeply upsetting plot. It starts off as being one movie, but it’s really deeper and stranger. This might be even better than Snowpiercer, but I’m not sure. It’s a very different movie, but it manages to achieve a few of the same magnificent tonal feats: It’s bittersweet and has moments of loopy humor amongst the grimness.
    It’s also really reminiscent of Twin Peaks.

• lullanoir

★★★★½ Added by lullanoir

One of those movies that are emotional with great character development, overall this movie was phenomenal .

• Alex Hunter

★★★★ Watched by Alex Hunter 23 Jun, 2014

Sharp, poetic, haunting.

• Kent Emir

★★★★ Watched by Kent Emir 21 Jun, 2014

Increíble historia de lo que una madre es capaz por su hijo. Como siempre Bong Joon-ho sorprendiéndome.