• Matt

★★★★★ Watched by Matt 26 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-Ho has become one of my favorite directors. He ha a such a unique and brilliant filmography.

A mothers love is a special feeling, it's unlike any other feeling in this world. It's warm, comforting, and unconditional. It's easy to get behind the character of "Mother", because she wants what all our mothers want, our safety and nothing but the best for us. A mothers love is protective. I believe that my mother would do the same thing for…

• A

★★★★½ Watched by A 23 Aug, 2015 1

That final scene

• Nick C

★★★★½ Watched by Nick C 11 Aug, 2015

While I didn't necessarily love this film, it is nearly impossible not to be seduced by its undeniably masterful craftsmanship. Bong Joon-ho is not only one of the best South Korean directors working, but he is probably also one of the most gifted film directors in the world right now. With this film especially, we get to see his incredibly versatile directing abilities through the dark and suspenseful moments, the thrilling moments, and the smaller intimate and personal moments with…

• Joe Dreshar

★★★★ Watched by Joe Dreshar 09 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-ho has a real talent for these types of crime stories. This could easily be on par with Memories of a Murder. I want him to do more work like these.

• Rocky Lascio

★★★½ Watched by Rocky Lascio 02 Aug, 2015

Moral of the story:
    Don't call a retard a retard.

• Spesh to Death

★★★★ Added by Spesh to Death

Hye-ja Kim gives a knockout performance in a startlingly unique film that's as beautiful as it is twisted.

• Chris Ortman

★★★★ Watched by Chris Ortman 29 Jul, 2015

The premise of the story sounds basic and tired, where the idea of a dedicated person attempting to prove a loved one is not guilty of the crime they’ve been accused of has been done a million times. But that is where writer/director Bong Joon-ho gets you; setting you up with a standard trope and subverting it in the most devious fashions. At the center is the remarkable turn from Kim Hye-ja as the titular mother, who exhibits remarkable range of emotions as she slowly discovers the truth of the horrific crime. A mother’s love never wavers.

• pedrofiuza

★★★★½ Watched by pedrofiuza 27 Jul, 2015

Gorgeous cinematography.

• Rashid

Added by Rashid

In an alternate reality, people would still be singing the praise of this masterclass Hitchcockian thriller that finds Bong doing what he does best: spinning humor out of the most unlikely, irreverent situations, ratcheting up suspense from the most seemingly trivial matters (that water bottle), and wrapping it all up with one killer ending. Kim Hye-ja is a force.

• Tristiac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 19 Jul, 2015 2

An enthralling, expertly crafted murder mystery and probably my favorite South Korean film; I don't claim to be an expert, but I do like this better than Old Boy, if only for the magnificent heart wrenching performance at the center of this film by Kim Hye-ya and that final transcendent shot, which somehow manages the feat of being chilling and moving at the same time.

• Hibiscus

★★★★ Watched by Hibiscus 14 Jul, 2015

First of, I had the absolute privilege to watch this film in the rare black and white re-release, and it looked absolutely stunning!

The film itself is also very well made on pretty much all levels, the acting, writing, cinematography, etc. You can tell that the director knew what he was doing! It's basically a very well made and original thriller from someone who knows cinema.

Still, I feel like it reminds me a lot of other recent Korean films,…

• StevenMann

★★★½ Watched by StevenMann 05 Jul, 2015

An artfully constructed film. Director Joon-ho Bong eschews cheap Hollywood-style suspense in favour of using psychological and artistic means to heighten the dramatic elements of the film (which is much harder for the film-maker, and ultimately more rewarding for the thinking audience.) Worth a repeat viewing.