• Chris Ortman

★★★★ Watched by Chris Ortman 29 Jul, 2015

The premise of the story sounds basic and tired, where the idea of a dedicated person attempting to prove a loved one is not guilty of the crime they’ve been accused of has been done a million times. But that is where writer/director Bong Joon-ho gets you; setting you up with a standard trope and subverting it in the most devious fashions. At the center is the remarkable turn from Kim Hye-ja as the titular mother, who exhibits remarkable range of emotions as she slowly discovers the truth of the horrific crime. A mother’s love never wavers.

• pedrofiuza

★★★★½ Watched by pedrofiuza 27 Jul, 2015

Gorgeous cinematography.

• Rashid

Added by Rashid

In an alternate reality, people would still be singing the praise of this masterclass Hitchcockian thriller that finds Bong doing what he does best: spinning humor out of the most unlikely, irreverent situations, ratcheting up suspense from the most seemingly trivial matters (that water bottle), and wrapping it all up with one killer ending. Kim Hye-ja is a force.

• Tristiac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 19 Jul, 2015 2

An enthralling, expertly crafted murder mystery and probably my favorite South Korean film; I don't claim to be an expert, but I do like this better than Old Boy, if only for the magnificent heart wrenching performance at the center of this film by Kim Hye-ya and that final transcendent shot, which somehow manages the feat of being chilling and moving at the same time.

• Hibiscus

★★★★ Watched by Hibiscus 14 Jul, 2015

First of, I had the absolute privilege to watch this film in the rare black and white re-release, and it looked absolutely stunning!

The film itself is also very well made on pretty much all levels, the acting, writing, cinematography, etc. You can tell that the director knew what he was doing! It's basically a very well made and original thriller from someone who knows cinema.

Still, I feel like it reminds me a lot of other recent Korean films,…

• StevenMann

★★★½ Watched by StevenMann 05 Jul, 2015

An artfully constructed film. Director Joon-ho Bong eschews cheap Hollywood-style suspense in favour of using psychological and artistic means to heighten the dramatic elements of the film (which is much harder for the film-maker, and ultimately more rewarding for the thinking audience.) Worth a repeat viewing.

• kissman

★★½ Added by kissman

The beginning of Mother is so tedious that I considered moving on to something I might better enjoy, however the film eventually evolves into a semi-interesting murder mystery that piqued my interest and kept me engaged. Sadly, I was never able to fully buy into Mother due to its many unrealistic attributes (the original police investigation, the silly murder reenactment, the lawyer's professionalism, the son's unexplained condition, etc.). While Mother is certainly a unique film in which it deserves credit for, its many flaws ultimately made this a hard movie to fully enjoy.

• Simon A

★★★★★ Rewatched by Simon A 09 Jun, 2015

The black and white still managed to surprise me; try to see it this way even if you've seen it already.

• Kevin McLenithan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin McLenithan 31 May, 2015

Not quite as strong as I remember it being, but Kim Hye-ja's lead performance is as titanic as ever, belonging in any discussion of the best performances of its decade.

• Conor Bateman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Conor Bateman 09 Jun, 2015

Watched the black-and-white remastered version at Sydney Film Festival 2015

It's great to finally see Bong Joon-ho's masterfully constructed Mother in a cinema for the first time, and the shift to black-and-white is pretty striking, if ultimately unnecessary.

The good: accentuates the musical themes, every aerial or scenic shot looks incredible, when shadows are used effectively it really works

The bad: very few scenes are actually improved with the removal of colour, the film doesn't really fit into the noir mould that the colour scheme would suggest.

• Sheryl

★★★★½ Watched by Sheryl 09 Jun, 2015

Getting to see this in the new black-and-white remaster is beyond stunning! I'd maybe seen about a third of the film sometime last year when I rented it on iTunes but wasn't in the right mindset for it, but I totally enjoyed it tonight.

I can't help but think of Welles when watching this; just that beautiful cinematography and the focus on faces really makes this stand out amongst other Bong Joon-ho directed projects.

As something he's co-written, this is…

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

This brilliant film explores one of the most powerful driving forces any human has, love. It does so through the most powerful of loving relationships, the Mother and Son. Now just a warning this movie will hurt you with its honesty. Frankly this might be Bong Joon Ho's most honest and brilliant film to date. It has brilliant performances all around that work to this films defining stance. What that is you will have to find out for yourself, heck, even I probably don't know.