• heyheyguys

★★★★½ Watched by heyheyguys 17 May, 2015

More powerful, less cliche Oldboy. I think the two movies are fairly comparable, and both are fantastic. Cinematography here, especially, was good.

• Clint Luciantonio

★★★★★ Watched by Clint Luciantonio 09 May, 2015

As I have been having a cinematic excursion this summer, I decided to revisit some films that I watched last year that I wasn't too sure on. I thought no where there was a better place than with Bong Joon-Ho's crippling family portrait in Mother, a film I had difficulty expressing my appreciation for when I first saw. I knew I liked what I saw, and did not hesitate to recommend it to others. However, being the time before I…

• JScarlatti

★★½ Watched by JScarlatti 12 May, 2015

I despise the fact this movie relies on an editing resource to keep the audience intrigued.

• redcatcher06

★★★½ Watched by redcatcher06 15 May, 2015

Wow - Korean cinema always gets under my skin and into my brain.

An intellectually-disabled teen is charged with the murder of a school girl. His poor but determined mother stops at nothing to prove his innocence.

Although it floundered in part and lost momentum perhaps due to its length, this film contains layers and layers of substance and nuance to keep you going to the end.

Kim Hye-ja's performance as the titular mother is blazing; switching from quiet subservience…

• Ciaran

★★★★ Rewatched by Ciaran 12 May, 2015

Another excellent crime drama from Bong Joon-ho. I see a lot of Hitchcock in this film-- the sexual tension between mother and son is obviously reminiscent of Psycho, and the inciting scene being retread from different points of view and revelation of new information reminded me of the bell tower scene in Vertigo. A trait I admire in Joon-ho's direction is when he zeroes in on a detail-- a drop of blood falling from a blade, water trickling towards an…

• unclenugget

Watched by unclenugget 12 May, 2015 3

Good cinema, no question.

• InSession Film

★★★★½ Watched by InSession Film 06 May, 2015

Unconditional love. A mother's love has no barriers. Bong Joon-ho’s Mother is not an easy watch, it's weird, ambiguous, yet satisfying throughout.

You can hear more of my thoughts on our InSession Film Podcast: Extra Film segment this week.

• Paul Davey

★★★★ Watched by Paul Davey 02 May, 2015

The darkest timeline.

• oxfordarmadillo

★★★★½ Watched by oxfordarmadillo 01 May, 2015

#99 on the AVClub's "100 Best Films of the Decade (So Far)."

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love subtle things and how much I love sad things. "Mother" combines the two, so of course I had to love it.

I watched this film with a lump in my throat. Usually, things don’t bring me to tears - I get chills instead. “Mother” didn’t bring me to tears, but it didn’t give me chills, either. The reaction was…

• phillipb

★★★★★ Added by phillipb

I'm a big fan of Korean cinema so maybe a little biased but even so this film stands out. Truly original vision and plot, stunningly executed. Mesmerizing.

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 18 Apr, 2015

An absolutely incredible and gripping suspense film about a middle-aged woman's own personal journey to uncover the truth about a murder that her mentally-challenged son was falsely accused of as it's one of Boon Joon-ho's finest films.

• fultoncharlie

★★★½ Watched by fultoncharlie 11 Jul, 2011

Wonderful titular performance by Hye-ja Kim, an actor apparently much-loved in south Korea, in a nifty "wrong man" thriller. 1st shot is of her dancing alone in a wide field; why is she doing this? As the plot winds its way to giving a perfectly logical answer to this question, we learn lots of seamy facts about her town. Some have compared this to Hitchcock; it think it's more like Clouzot, esp. LE CORBEAU. 7/10