• Ben Smith

★★★★ Watched by Ben Smith 05 Oct, 2015

Darkly comic, subtly enthralling and poetically tragic in a similar vein to Park Chan-wook's 'Vengeance Trilogy', Bong Joon-ho exceeds his already excellent Memories of Murder.
    As many great detective stories are, Mother moves forward at a terrific pace as a labyrinth of context upon context is layered upon the titular mother until the story unfurls into a harrowing finale.

Joon-ho's direction is superb, whether it's his fascinating repetition of scenes to create a circular feel or the film's consistent tone…

• Matthew Liddle

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Liddle 22 Sep, 2015

By now, Bong Joon-Ho is one of my favourite directors, and Mother is another precedent as to why. A twisting and turning, morally ambiguous thriller driven by a great lead performance adds another to Ho's catalogue of great films.

• thenextreel

★★★★ Watched by thenextreel 24 Sep, 2015

“You’re not even worth the dirt on my son’s toenail."

Bong Joon-ho's follow-up feature to his massive success “The Host” was about a murder and the person trying to figure out what happened. To some people, it sounded awfully like his second film “Memories of Murder” and they were afraid he was returning to the safety of familiar territory. But 2009’s “Mother” ended up being a very different film and one which is hard to forget. Join us — Pete…

• MooseMeister

★★★★ Watched by MooseMeister 10 Sep, 2015

Darkly comic, complex, violent and very rewarding with a tough Korean Ms. Marple as the unlikely hero.

• Barxday

★★★½ Watched by Barxday 07 Sep, 2015

Mother is another acclaimed film of Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder, The Host) which tells the story of a mother desperately searching for the real killer while her mentally-challenged son is falsely arrested and imprisoned.

Although I do not totally agree with the global acclaim this film got, the role of the mother played by Kim Hye-Ja is impressive in showing that a mother will go to extremes to protect her son.

• Matt

★★★★★ Watched by Matt 26 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-Ho has become one of my favorite directors. He ha a such a unique and brilliant filmography.

A mothers love is a special feeling, it's unlike any other feeling in this world. It's warm, comforting, and unconditional. It's easy to get behind the character of "Mother", because she wants what all our mothers want, our safety and nothing but the best for us. A mothers love is protective. I believe that my mother would do the same thing for…

• A

★★★★½ Watched by A 23 Aug, 2015 1

That final scene

• Nick C

★★★★½ Watched by Nick C 11 Aug, 2015

While I didn't necessarily love this film, it is nearly impossible not to be seduced by its undeniably masterful craftsmanship. Bong Joon-ho is not only one of the best South Korean directors working, but he is probably also one of the most gifted film directors in the world right now. With this film especially, we get to see his incredibly versatile directing abilities through the dark and suspenseful moments, the thrilling moments, and the smaller intimate and personal moments with…

• Joe Dreshar

★★★★ Watched by Joe Dreshar 09 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-ho has a real talent for these types of crime stories. This could easily be on par with Memories of a Murder. I want him to do more work like these.

• Rocky Lascio

★★★½ Watched by Rocky Lascio 02 Aug, 2015

Moral of the story:
    Don't call a retard a retard.

• Spesh to Death

★★★★ Added by Spesh to Death

Hye-ja Kim gives a knockout performance in a startlingly unique film that's as beautiful as it is twisted.

• Chris Ortman

★★★★ Watched by Chris Ortman 29 Jul, 2015

The premise of the story sounds basic and tired, where the idea of a dedicated person attempting to prove a loved one is not guilty of the crime they’ve been accused of has been done a million times. But that is where writer/director Bong Joon-ho gets you; setting you up with a standard trope and subverting it in the most devious fashions. At the center is the remarkable turn from Kim Hye-ja as the titular mother, who exhibits remarkable range of emotions as she slowly discovers the truth of the horrific crime. A mother’s love never wavers.