• Zachary Zahos

★★★½ Watched by Zachary Zahos 15 Aug, 2014

Man, does Bong pack a lot into his movies. Few filmmakers actively comment on politics through their stories, and even fewer muddy the hell out of said politics by leaving devastating effects tethered to numerous causes involving the good guys and bad. The morals in Bong's films are complicated, to say the least. I think that is one reason I am attracted to his work, and I am about 89% percent sure Bong earns that relativist stance by working with…

• Daryl

★★★★ Watched by Daryl 11 Aug, 2014

A great introduction into Korean cinema, a solid story which kept me thoroughly entertained and has now pushed me to watch more Bong Joon-ho or just more Korean films in general. Definitely worth a watch.

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 11 Aug, 2014

that bong joon-ho, tho

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 27 Mar, 2010

After seeing two films by Joon-ho Bong, I think I've caught on to what his movies are about: passionately devoted, though not necessarily healthy, families.

"Mother" examines a small two-person family through a decidedly Hitchcockian ordeal while his previous "The Host" tested an extended family through the grinder of a monster movie.

• Jake Cole

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jake Cole 31 Jul, 2014

A nearly unclassifiable film. MEMORIES OF MURDER is Bong's best, but this one seems to exist in its own world, Hitchcockian but also off-kilter in a way Hitch could only be for a few minutes at a time, not for 2 hours.

• JayKay99

★★★½ Watched by JayKay99 04 Aug, 2014

The opening and closing sequences are sequences of immense talent, skill and showcase a unique eye for cinematic visuals, the rest of the movie also contains examples of such talent. The film has to be praised for how it breaks away from conventions and really creates its own genre from its strange tone. The mix of comedy and violence worked half of the time, whilst the other half felt utterly inappropriate. I think what let this film down is that at times it's just too ridiculous, too implausible, but still worth seeing.

• rjt

Watched by rjt 01 Aug, 2014

Why is this film so well-reviewed?

Why is it all goofy?

The worst film I've seen in a long time.

Ugh.

• Charlie Rogers

★★★★½ Added by Charlie Rogers

A lot of people are raving about this "thinking man's blockbuster" (with an apparently crappy ending, no spoilers) Snowpiercer, but I don't feel like spending $6 for it on Amazon, so I watched 2009's Mother instead. Is it racist for me to have assumed that this Jong-Ho Bon Bon guy made kung-fu movies or something before going to Hollywood? I hate those kinds of guys, but fortunately, Jong-Ho's much wittier than that. Roger Ebert called this a "movie for grown-ups",…

• Zoë Ames

★★★★★ Watched by Zoë Ames 20 Jul, 2014

David Ehrlich Tweeted recently that the most impressive thing about SNOWPIERCER is it's Bong Joon-Ho's worst film. Now I see what he meant. I liked SNOWPIERCER, and I love THE HOST, but man. It's got nothing on this.

Might be the most perfectly constructed murder mystery I've ever seen.

• Matt Suppes

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Suppes 18 Jul, 2014

Perhaps my favorite Bong Joon-Ho movie. Hye-Ja's and Won-Bin's performance are amazing, and Bong's story and direction feel like classic Spielberg, Hitchcock, and the Coens all wrapped into one. Funny, cinematic, and always shifting from high comedy to brutal tragedy at the tip of a hat. This is the type of Korean cinema that gets to me better than the Oldboy/I Saw the Devil super-stylized hyper-gore stuff (good as that is).

• sprizzle

★★★★ Watched by sprizzle 18 Jul, 2014

Make sure to take your ginkgo when you're out for revenge.

Mother falls into a category of movies that is very popular in several Asian cultures. Drama, thriller, mystery, revenge movie. But this isn't white noise. It's one of the most meticulously put together and well-acted films to come out of Korea. It's obvious that Joon-ho Bong is a moviegoer. He uses a lot of common tropes and shots but puts it all together in a way that is his…

• jswysin

★★★★★ Rewatched by jswysin 13 Jul, 2014

"A boy's best friend is his mother."