• kissman

★★½ Added by kissman

The beginning of Mother is so tedious that I considered moving on to something I might better enjoy, however the film eventually evolves into a semi-interesting murder mystery that piqued my interest and kept me engaged. Sadly, I was never able to fully buy into Mother due to its many unrealistic attributes (the original police investigation, the silly murder reenactment, the lawyer's professionalism, the son's unexplained condition, etc.). While Mother is certainly a unique film in which it deserves credit for, its many flaws ultimately made this a hard movie to fully enjoy.

• Simon A

★★★★★ Rewatched by Simon A 09 Jun, 2015

The black and white still managed to surprise me; try to see it this way even if you've seen it already.

• Kevin McLenithan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin McLenithan 31 May, 2015

Not quite as strong as I remember it being, but Kim Hye-ja's lead performance is as titanic as ever, belonging in any discussion of the best performances of its decade.

• Conor Bateman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Conor Bateman 09 Jun, 2015

Watched the black-and-white remastered version at Sydney Film Festival 2015

It's great to finally see Bong Joon-ho's masterfully constructed Mother in a cinema for the first time, and the shift to black-and-white is pretty striking, if ultimately unnecessary.

The good: accentuates the musical themes, every aerial or scenic shot looks incredible, when shadows are used effectively it really works

The bad: very few scenes are actually improved with the removal of colour, the film doesn't really fit into the noir mould that the colour scheme would suggest.

• Sheryl

★★★★½ Watched by Sheryl 09 Jun, 2015

Getting to see this in the new black-and-white remaster is beyond stunning! I'd maybe seen about a third of the film sometime last year when I rented it on iTunes but wasn't in the right mindset for it, but I totally enjoyed it tonight.

I can't help but think of Welles when watching this; just that beautiful cinematography and the focus on faces really makes this stand out amongst other Bong Joon-ho directed projects.

As something he's co-written, this is…

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

This brilliant film explores one of the most powerful driving forces any human has, love. It does so through the most powerful of loving relationships, the Mother and Son. Now just a warning this movie will hurt you with its honesty. Frankly this might be Bong Joon Ho's most honest and brilliant film to date. It has brilliant performances all around that work to this films defining stance. What that is you will have to find out for yourself, heck, even I probably don't know.

• zorkinian

★★★★ Added by zorkinian

4/5

• Erika Neves

★★★★★ Watched by Erika Neves 24 Sep, 2014

Do mesmo diretor de “O Hospedeiro” e “Memórias de um Assassino”, “Mother” é um filme simplesmente fabuloso.Surpreendente e ao mesmo tempo estranho.Estranhamento que já começa na seguência de abertura que mostra uma senhora sozinha em meio a um matagal fazendo uma dança sem sentido.

A partir desse momento acompanhamos a história de Kim Hye Ja, mãe solteira de um rapaz de 27 anos,Yoon Do-joon, com uma grande limitação mental, que age e é tratado como se fosse uma criança, chegando…

• Assil Ksiksi

★★★★½ Watched by Assil Ksiksi 05 Jun, 2015

Joon-ho Bong does it again. A masterpiece of mystery. The story of a mother who wants to prove her son's innocence. A beautiful tale of motherhood. My favorite Korean film after "Memories of Murder", which is also (surprise!) a Bong flick.

• moviemanwill

★★★½ Added by moviemanwill

Extremely uneven but Hye Ja Kim is aces.

• Rakestraw

★★★½ Watched by Rakestraw 25 May, 2015 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Much goofier than I expected.

The cinematography from Kyung-pyo Hong saves much of this film since I had numerous problems with the storyline progression and overall tone. The biggest problem I had (which I wish I could just tell my brain to shut its face) was the crime itself and its depiction. Initially, you are left wondering who did indeed murder that girl? As you see Yoon Do-joon (Bin Won) run off frazzleddrunk into the night after almost having his…

• Rick DeSantis

★★★★ Watched by Rick DeSantis 28 May, 2015

I surprisingly enjoyed this murder/mystery/crime story. Hye-ja Kim was wonderful in the lead and Bin Won as her son was excellent. The weirdness/wackiness of all the characters really kept me enthralled in the movie. It was fascinating watching the story unfold.