• Brook Kennon

★★★ Watched by Brook Kennon 04 Oct, 2014

Ridiculous fun from William Castle featuring his patented showmanship and the unforgettably fun Sardonicus makeup.

• Zach Betonte

★★★ Watched by Zach Betonte 11 Oct, 2014

An unusual entry into the medical horror sub-genre where the medical procedures are oddly irrelevant and reduced to being perfunctory. As an admirer of William Castle, I appreciate it's enthusiasm for the display of grotesque imagery despite this lacking the high-energy of his earlier films. It seems like an adaptation that never fully found the proper visual translation as all of the shock gags feel better suited for language.

More discussed here.

• Kyle Fleischfresser

★★★ Watched by Kyle Fleischfresser 11 Oct, 2014

One of the weaker films from William Castle. Sardonicus still has some really fun moments and really great acting. Baron Sardonicus with his mask is a very haunting image

• THE_FUTURIST

★★½ Watched by THE_FUTURIST 08 Oct, 2014

Facially deformed evil baron (with full face mask) forces a renowned surgeon to cure his rigor mortis smile. Usual low budget TV-studio-like sets and silly presentation by William Castle with little scares. Includes the last reel Punishment Poll for audience to determine Fate of Baron Sardonicus, One question: how the Hell does he eat with that mouth. You hear him slurping some gruel, but he can't mouth his front teeth. And he talks with a beautiful clipped European accent by using vocal muscles that are not normally used. The Baron should do voice over commercials.

• EthanCarota

★★½ Watched by EthanCarota 19 Sep, 2014

Spooktacular, in every sense of the word. The pace sags a bit in the middle and the ending is the cinematic equivalent of "and that's the end of that chapter..." But Castle's visual inventiveness and showmanship carry you most of the way. As pointless as it is, gotta love the directorial charade of allowing the audience to "vote" on the ending.

• Mike P

★★★½ Watched by Mike P 19 Sep, 2014

What're you smilin' at, pal?

• Radu Conopan

★★★½ Watched by Radu Conopan 28 Aug, 2014

A search for a winning lottery ticket in his dead father's grave causes Sardonicus' face to freeze in a horrible grimace, until he forces a doctor to treat his affliction--with even more grotesque results! The audience gets an opportunity to vote--via the "Punishment Poll"--for the penalty Sardonicus must pay for his deeds...

• Hollie Horror

★★★ Watched by Hollie Horror 31 May, 2014

I was never aware of the folklore surrounding the term "ghoul," which is a word used to describe people who hang out in graveyards and do unsavory things, which is the most essential definition given to William Castle's gimmicky genre entry.

I really hated the makeup used on Oskar Homolka, his one wonky eye just looked like they piled on some silly putty to obstruct his vision. The make-up used on the Ghoul was a bit better and very reminiscent…

• Charles Canzoneri

★★ Added by Charles Canzoneri

I'm glad William Castle made movies. I wish he hadn't made this one. The worst of the 8 Castle films I've seen.

1. The Tingler
    7. The Night Walker
    8. Mr. Sardonicus

• Sc8lo

★★ Watched by Sc8lo 25 Apr, 2014

Some good makeup for its time. I feel the movie is a bit too long and could be shortened to be made more thrilling.

• drfulci

★★★★ Rewatched by drfulci 30 Apr, 2014

My favorite of Castle's films. Such a great story and an amazing cast.

• Bennett Hipps

★★★½ Watched by Bennett Hipps 16 Apr, 2014 2

When a brilliant young doctor is called to a remote land to try his unorthodox techniques on a cruel Baron with a horrible facial affliction, he must devise a cure or die.

Mr. Sardonicus is a title I have always loved. It sounds dark, evil, cruel, and full of menace tinged with a maniacal mirth. It's a great-sounding, evocative title. Naturally, this being a William Castle film, the movie rides that title more than the real b-grade contents of the…