• laird

★★★★ Watched by laird 05 Jul, 2015

"rosary job"

"I love you so fucking much I could shit!"

"Gay!? I'm no lesbian. At least not until a little while ago."

The out of focus close-up shot of a post-homicide, sweaty, deranged Divine wearing what looks like six-inches of dark lipstick and a gallon of (liquid?) eyeliner belongs in a museum (example: s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/multiple-maniacs/w448/multiple-maniacs.jpg ).

• kuru

★★★★★ Added by kuru

• whatthehec_tor

★★★★★ Watched by whatthehec_tor 01 Jun, 2015 1

Holy mother of all that is sacred! This film is a trip. Divine is stellar and John Waters brings grace to an otherwise beautifully strange film!
    Also what about that church scene though?!?!?! Holy cow.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★ Watched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 22 May, 2015

Multiple Maniacs is even more disgusting than Water's previous film, yet that is what makes it so much better.

Mink Stole shoving a rosary into Divines ass while in a church pew is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, but what made it so difficult for me to watch is the spliced footage of Jesus carrying and being nailed to the cross (literally, Divine and Mink narrate the actions for nearly eight minutes straight and barely take a…

• Brakywaki

★★★★ Added by Brakywaki

Certainly a little more meandering and experimental than Waters' later works, and potentially a better short film than a feature, this is still a fascinating collection of weirdness that only truly suffers from having scenes go on for like ten minutes. The ending rampage is worth the whole thing anyway, and don't even get me started on the wonders of Lobstora...It's a shame that they didn't do more with the concept of Divine's traveling show though. It's also fascinating to remember a time when "queers kissing" was a sideshow attraction.

• Ian Schultz

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Schultz 04 Apr, 2015

Better than Pink Flamingos

• Haystack Sr.

★★★★ Watched by Haystack Sr. 20 Feb, 2015

Mink Stole shoves a rosary up Divine's ass in a Church pew, and then the two fall in love. But Divine still wants to kill her hubby, so they go back to her prostitute daughter's apartment, and basically there's a lot of shooting and stabbing but Divine manages to emerge the sole survivor of the ordeal. And immediately after all of this, a giant lobster just comes out of nowhere and rapes her. God I love John Waters.

• Warren

★★★★ Watched by Warren 24 Jan, 2015

The feature that John Waters made before Pink Flamingos, Multiple Maniacs is the best movie $5,000 could have made. I'm not bashing it at all, I loved the shit out of this movie, but it was definitely made with half the money that Pink Flamingos was. It was shot in black and white, which for me worked just fine for it. It kind of brought that "news reel" feel to a movie that makes a lot of references to something…

• Alex Wilson

★★½ Watched by Alex Wilson 12 Dec, 2014

This might be John Waters' most boring film. Scenes ran as long as 5 minutes, and it just wasn't very interesting, overall (which is saying a lot, considering it's a John Waters movie). Some scenes were great, while others were just boring and were stretched too thin.

• Simon Jay

★★★ Watched by Simon Jay 13 Dec, 2014

Wow! What can be said for a film that has Divine raped by a giant Lobster monster!
    There is so much great stuff in John Waters debut feature film (well if we discount previous efforts he made in the 60's such as 'eat your own make-up' and the recreation of the Kennedy assassination) that it's difficult not to like it, even though it is a very loose rag-bag collection of scenes and gross-out ideas. In the end your mind bends…

• Count Rickula Sarcophagus

★★★★ Watched by Count Rickula Sarcophagus 21 Nov, 2014

Multiple Maniacs is like the darker, grittier and less talked about transgendered sister of Pink Flamingos. This is a must see for fans of John Waters and sick depraved films. I just ate it up with a big ass grin on my face the whole damn time.

• HotDonkeyBear

★★★★ Watched by HotDonkeyBear 20 Aug, 2014

Madder than a sack of sexually aroused paper clips, Multiple Maniacs develops the themes from Mondo Trasho and adds a glistening film of pure, unadulterated John Waters humour.

As far as trashy genre flicks go, this is right up there. A 'midnight movie' in its truest sense. Filth, drama and one woman's plight to completely lose herself to her wanton desires.

It's mental in the best way possible!