• fulci420

Added by fulci420 7

Took me a while to get into this rather talky affair but it wraps up in an enjoyable manner and I did appreciate seeing what director Michael Curtiz was doing with the genre way back when. Curtiz who of course directed "Casablanca" and 171 other films is an intriguing character in the history of film and I'm going to have to really go deep into his filmography some time.

Their's certainly nothing to be scared about and you can see…

• dadgumblah

★★★★ Added by dadgumblah

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Great, fun thriller with comic elements throughout. All about a wax museum proprietor, Ivan Igor, whose original museum is burned down by a scheming partner for the insurance money. Igor returns years later, bound to a wheelchair, ostensibly crippled, but of course, all is not as it seems. Bodies begin disappearing from the morgue and people are murdered, only to have their likenesses appear as wax figures of fame at the museum. Not so hard to figure out, eh?

• Curtis

★★★½ Watched by Curtis 07 Jul, 2015

This Michael Curtiz-helmed prototype for "House of Wax" is a lot of fun. Even as a fairly bloodless thriller, there's some genuinely creepy moments and some very cool set design on display.

The final scene struck me as a little out-of-nowhere, but I haven't watched enough of these early 30's films to know whether that's how things worked.

• WBA

Added by WBA

Glenda Farrell!
    And Lionel Atwin! And Fay Wray! And Two Strip Technicolor!

Michael Curtiz proves once more (how many dozen times has he actually done this!?) that he's simply one of the greatest artistic geniuses ever, and even the intrusive censoring of the film (I'd assume some of it must have happened post-1934?) can't harm this scorcher.
    And did I mention Glenda Farrell?

• Courtney Fifer

★★★ Watched by Courtney Fifer 15 Jun, 2015

Not as entertaining as the Vincent Price version.

• Jaume Vaquer

★★★ Watched by Jaume Vaquer 04 Jun, 2015

Adoro la versión con Vincent Price.
    Esta versión original me divierte porque permite ver cómo copiaron las mejores escenas sin ningún rubor, porque me demuestra otra vez que Michael Curtiz era un todoterreno admirable (pese a su montaje a hachazos), por cómo se trata el tema de la Ley Seca, por una fotografía y unos decorados expresionistas pero con un primitivo Technicolor y por un protagonista que casi hace olvidar a Price.

• Mike P

★★★★ Rewatched by Mike P 24 Apr, 2015

More kinetic, creative energy in one waxen toenail than all of the Marvel films combined. (Not hyperbole.)

• RickAtTheMovies

★★★★ Watched by RickAtTheMovies 31 Mar, 2015

'How's your sex life?'

A casual line of dialogue in this remarkable pre-code horror film, making full use of what was a short lived novelty at the time; color.

Shooting films in color was a still a huge challenge in the early thirties. Not just because getting a natural and balanced color scheme was difficult, but also because shooting in color required huge amounts of light.
    One of the consequences was that Curtiz could only make limited use of real…

• Owen Erasmus

★★★½ Watched by Owen Erasmus 19 Mar, 2015 3

Rhetorical Question, How come more people could name Fay Wray than Glenda Farrell?

Seeing them together here Wray is a very pretty girl who can be put in peril and scream, more memorable than a lot of identikit 30s leads but not really special and Farrell can handle drama, comedy and long bursts of dialogue at breakneck speed. I guess the truth is that despite never having a role as iconic as Wray's in King Kong Farrell had the more…

• Forrest B P

★★ Watched by Forrest B P 06 Mar, 2015

While it's shot nicely and has some decent acting, it's ultimately dragged down by a newspaper-girl-after-a-story plot-line that takes up more of the focus than it needs to. Mystery Of The Wax Museum was remade twice as horror movies, which is understandable since a rather horrifying tale does lie at the film's center, but this version of the story needed to break itself from the tired archetypes it sold itself to.

• alf025237

★★★★ Added by alf025237

sensacional. divertido. uma trama bem interessante. tanto este quanto seu remake de 1953 são ótimos. ambos valem a pena a serem assistidos.

• Lee Gaze

★★★★★ Watched by Lee Gaze 19 Nov, 2014

Better than almost all of the Universal Monster movies. One of the first films to experiment with colour. Manages to create a foreboding atmosphere even without a soundtrack.