• Owen Erasmus

★★★½ Watched by Owen Erasmus 19 Mar, 2015 3

Rhetorical Question, How come more people could name Fay Wray than Glenda Farrell?

Seeing them together here Wray is a very pretty girl who can be put in peril and scream, more memorable than a lot of identikit 30s leads but not really special and Farrell can handle drama, comedy and long bursts of dialogue at breakneck speed. I guess the truth is that despite never having a role as iconic as Wray's in King Kong Farrell had the more…

• Forrest B P

★★ Watched by Forrest B P 06 Mar, 2015

While it's shot nicely and has some decent acting, it's ultimately dragged down by a newspaper-girl-after-a-story plot-line that takes up more of the focus than it needs to. Mystery Of The Wax Museum was remade twice as horror movies, which is understandable since a rather horrifying tale does lie at the film's center, but this version of the story needed to break itself from the tired archetypes it sold itself to.

• alf025237

★★★★ Added by alf025237

sensacional. divertido. uma trama bem interessante. tanto este quanto seu remake de 1953 são ótimos. ambos valem a pena a serem assistidos.

• Lee Gaze

★★★★★ Watched by Lee Gaze 19 Nov, 2014

Better than almost all of the Universal Monster movies. One of the first films to experiment with colour. Manages to create a foreboding atmosphere even without a soundtrack.

• Ryan Meyers

★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

A man disfigured in a fire uses fresh corpses for his new "wax" museum. The original "House of Wax" isn't bad at all. The makeup is pretty astounding and the color on it is well-done. The acting is pretty stale except for Glenda Farrell's up-and-at-'em reporter; it's a wonder why she never became a bigger, more serious name. Really though, apart from the technical aspects, it's not too terribly interesting or great.

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 22 Oct, 2014

I love the way early color looks. A well-made film that's much more provocative than the remake(s).

• PetMice72

★★★ Watched by PetMice72 14 Oct, 2014

Essentially an older and less detailed version of 1953's House of Wax with a different twist but still perfectly serviceable and interesting enough.

• James Patrick

★★★ Watched by James Patrick 08 Oct, 2014

“I don’t know what it was but it made Frankenstein look like a lily.”

I watch a lot of Michael Curtiz movies because Michael Curtiz directed a lot of movies. I justify watching a lot of random Michael Curtiz movies because Casablanca. I looked for a short flick to squeeze in before prior #Bond_age_ commitments and noticed this little two-strip technicolor ditty just hanging out on the flipside of the old House of Wax DVD. Most of the characters think…

• Flickers in Time

★★★½ Added by Flickers in Time

A brilliant sculptor's (Lionel Atwill) wax creations are destroyed in a fire. Years later, the sculptor has recreated his works and reopened his museum in New York. Simultaneously, bodies mysteriously disappear from the city morgue. An intrepid girl reporter (Glenda Farrell) is on the case. This was remade as House of Wax with Vincent Price. I thought it was good fun. It was also fascinating to see the two-strip Technicolor process.

Favorite line: Glenda Farrell as the reporter to her editor: "I'm gonna make you eat dirt, you soap bubble!"

• loureviews

★★★★ Added by loureviews

One of my 1000 recommended films.

Overshadowed by its 1953 remake 'House of Wax', this film is much better and yet rarely seen. Shot in primitive Technicolor, and starring Lionel Atwill and Fay Wray, it is much less concerned with 'shocking' the viewer and instead, becomes a fast-moving, clever, and genuinely suspenseful thriller.

Happily, this film is now available as an extra on the 'House of Wax' DVD, although it isn't really publicised on the packaging. Both films are of…

• Atlinator

★★★½ Watched by Atlinator 17 Apr, 2014

Probably the most "adult" pre-code film I've seen, as someone actually says "How's your sex life" in it, followed by a shot of a magazine called "Naughty Stories" with a scantily clad female on the cover, and there's lots of frank talk about drugs and drug use. That alone makes this movie worth watching but thankfully it's also a pretty good little genre flick, with chilling atmosphere, solid plotting, good performances and some very nice set design. A weak climax…

• Gunnar Syrén

★★★½ Rewatched by Gunnar Syrén 16 Mar, 2014

”House of Wax” is one of the few remakes that is – in my opinion – better than the original. I mean the 1953 remake, that is, not the 2005 version. But that doesn't mean that “Mystery of the Wax Museum” is a bad movie. Far from it. It is very good. Many actually prefer it to the 1953 version.

The basic story is the same in both movies, and if you have seen the Vincent Price movie you'll recognize…