• 'Becca'lise

★★★★ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 22 Oct, 2014

I love the way early color looks. A well-made film that's much more provocative than the remake(s).

• PetMice72

★★★ Watched by PetMice72 14 Oct, 2014

Essentially an older and less detailed version of 1953's House of Wax with a different twist but still perfectly serviceable and interesting enough.

• James Patrick

★★★ Watched by James Patrick 08 Oct, 2014

“I don’t know what it was but it made Frankenstein look like a lily.”

I watch a lot of Michael Curtiz movies because Michael Curtiz directed a lot of movies. I justify watching a lot of random Michael Curtiz movies because Casablanca. I looked for a short flick to squeeze in before prior #Bond_age_ commitments and noticed this little two-strip technicolor ditty just hanging out on the flipside of the old House of Wax DVD. Most of the characters think…

• Flickers in Time

★★★½ Added by Flickers in Time

A brilliant sculptor's (Lionel Atwill) wax creations are destroyed in a fire. Years later, the sculptor has recreated his works and reopened his museum in New York. Simultaneously, bodies mysteriously disappear from the city morgue. An intrepid girl reporter (Glenda Farrell) is on the case. This was remade as House of Wax with Vincent Price. I thought it was good fun. It was also fascinating to see the two-strip Technicolor process.

Favorite line: Glenda Farrell as the reporter to her editor: "I'm gonna make you eat dirt, you soap bubble!"

• loureviews

★★★★ Added by loureviews

Overshadowed by its 1953 remake 'House of Wax', this film is much better and yet rarely seen. Shot in primitive Technicolor, and starring Lionel Atwill and Fay Wray, it is much less concerned with 'shocking' the viewer and instead, becomes a fast-moving, clever, and genuinely suspenseful thriller.

Happily, this film is now available as an extra on the 'House of Wax' DVD, although it isn't really publicised on the packaging. Both films are of identical length.

'Mystery' also has the…

• Atlinator

★★★½ Watched by Atlinator 17 Apr, 2014

Probably the most "adult" pre-code film I've seen, as someone actually says "How's your sex life" in it, followed by a shot of a magazine called "Naughty Stories" with a scantily clad female on the cover, and there's lots of frank talk about drugs and drug use. That alone makes this movie worth watching but thankfully it's also a pretty good little genre flick, with chilling atmosphere, solid plotting, good performances and some very nice set design. A weak climax…

• Gunnar Syrén

★★★½ Rewatched by Gunnar Syrén 16 Mar, 2014

”House of Wax” is one of the few remakes that is – in my opinion – better than the original. I mean the 1953 remake, that is, not the 2005 version. But that doesn't mean that “Mystery of the Wax Museum” is a bad movie. Far from it. It is very good. Many actually prefer it to the 1953 version.

The basic story is the same in both movies, and if you have seen the Vincent Price movie you'll recognize…

• The Phantom Erik

★★★½ Added by The Phantom Erik

Casablanca, Mildred Pierce, Robin Hood...Wax Museum? Yes, it's that Michael Curtiz, director extraordinaire, at the helm of this joy ride starring Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray and Glenda Farrell, actors all in their prime. In the Golden Age of horror, it's an oft-forgotten gem, usually only ear-marked when talking about early-era technicolor experiments. What's not always discussed is Farrell's charm, Wray's best performance outside that big ape movie, and Atwill paving the way for future horror debonaires like Vincent Price or Christopher Lee. More fun than scary, one could do much worse than sit down with a bag of popcorn to this overall well-done monster movie.

• Jeff Williams

★★★½ Watched by Jeff Williams 24 Jan, 2014

Good-looking Michael Curtiz light horror/mystery with Lionel Atwill and Fay Wray, but it's Glenda Farrell who steals the movie as another fast-talking, daffy reporter dame. Fun and well-made with some nice pre-code drug and prohibition references.

• Mike P

★★★★ Watched by Mike P 26 Oct, 2013

Arguably Michael Curtiz's second best film.

• DK

★★★ Rewatched by DK 26 Oct, 2013

Worth watching almost entirely because Florence is a sassy broad.
    Reminds me of Colin Mochrie says 'I'm feisty!' on Whose Line.

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★½ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 21 Sep, 2013

Really like this one. Fay Wray is great, and Glenda Farrell as the reporter is awesome...wish they'd kept her character around in the remake!