• Dominic Miller

★★★½ Watched by Dominic Miller 01 Jul, 2015

Napoleon Dynamite is the highly original directorial debut from Jared Hess. The film is a hilariously off-beat (as it's often described) comedy even though it's inventive style is something of a one-trick-llama. The film's greatest strength is the title character, played by Jon Heder. The character given to Heder is the ultimate geek role, and he pulls it off perfectly. Whether it's the voice, the mannerisms, or the costume of Napoleon, there is always something downright hilarious about the character.…

• Jason Gacek

★★★★½ Added by Jason Gacek 5

Saw Napoleon Dynamite at a packed Pickford on a summer night in 2004. Such a fun experience. For whatever reason this film captured the zeitgeist that summer. Napoleon is the ultimate underdog, and for all his quirks and weirdness he's pretty endearing. It is very rare for super low budget (non-horror) indies with no recognizable actors to affect the culture. Just ask Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I've now seen Napoleon Dynamite multiple times; it's a singular film and if you're on its wavelength it's pretty great.

• SilentDawn

★★★★½ Rewatched by SilentDawn 29 Jun, 2015 3

Sublime sweetness. Within its endless plains and its paths to nowhere, the world of Napoleon Dynamite tells a story of discovery. No one changes or becomes who they really are, and acceptance is not on the mind of the characters. The people wandering this shaggy landscape only seek a partner for tetherball.

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Rewatched by Joshua Correll 27 Jun, 2015

Not nearly as funny as I thought it was back in 2004, but it's not bad either. Sure, all the characters are extreme characterchers of nerds, but they are all affectionately portrayed too.

• Michael King

★★½ Watched by Michael King 28 Jun, 2015 1

This was a dry somewhat comedic film but it didn't hit the mark with me honestly. It was just there and I couldn't get into it.

• Ben

★★★ Watched by Ben 28 Jun, 2015

I'm not sure if I can chalk this movie up to just not really getting it. I felt like it wasn't silly enough to be an Anchorman-ish surreal comedy, but too silly to be a heart-felt coming-of-age type movie. It's really telling when my favorite scene in the movie was where a character gets a much-needed beatdown with some kitchenware. The plot was just trudging from one scene to the next, so I never really got a feel of why…

• PodiatricAce79

★★★½ Added by PodiatricAce79 6

Jon Heder gives what is quite possibly the best and most hilarious performance of his career in this high school satire.

"Sorry I'm late. I just got done taming a wild honeymoon stallion for you guys."

• Goremaster

★★★ Added by Goremaster

Nice and with a great cast (not only Napoleon and Pedro, but the secondary characters in the film are also very good, as Napoleon's brother).

The end is very cool and don't forget to vote for Pedro.

• Joel Vered

★★★½ Watched by Joel Vered 25 Jun, 2015

This comedy is not really funny, put best. It's people talking a monotone voice that people may laugh or cringe. I was the latter. It was boring.

• Luke Compton

★★ Watched by Luke Compton 26 Jun, 2015 3

First of all, Mr Hudson, you liar! I never knew ‘Forever Young’ was already a song before his version.
    Secondly, this film seemed to try very hard to be quirky and indie. It pushed its bizarre, on the spectrum style a bit too hard sometimes. This leads to my third point, which is that I feel no sympathy towards Napoleon. He wasn’t likeable and I just didn’t care about him really.
    Fourthly, Time After Time is a real classic. IF…

• Ian Flick

★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Flick 21 Jun, 2015

One of the most quotable movies I've ever seen and endlessly rewatchable.

• Evan Cogswell

Watched by Evan Cogswell 08 Jun, 2015 1

There are times when I passionately dislike a movie, but I understand what others see in it. Then there are times when I passionately dislike a movie, and I cannot comprehend what anyone sees in it. This falls under the latter.