• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Taking down Pauline Kael's 1976 collection Reeling to re-read her famous review of "Nashville," I find a yellow legal sheet marking the page: my notes for a class I taught on the film. "What is this story about?" I wrote. The film may be great because you can't really answer that question.

It is a musical; Robert Altman observes in his commentary on the new DVD re-release that it contains more than an hour of music. It is a docudrama…

• Peter Bogert

★★★★ Watched by Peter Bogert 19 Apr, 2014

As a Robert Altman fan, I always walked with a Cloud of Shame just above my head because I had never seen Nashville. Yesterday, the Criterion Blu ray finally arrived - and so did the Cloud.

Nashville shares its structure of storytelling with Short Cuts - In a few hectic days, some interrelated people prepare for a performance, a political convention and a meeting of two old lovers as various secrets and lies raise from the mud and get revealed.…

• Joshua Thomas

★★★★ Watched by Joshua Thomas 17 Apr, 2014

First Altman and certainly not my last. The sprawling nature and lack of any real linear plot line of this threw me off for about half the movie, and I imagine in future viewings adding a half star to the rating, if not the whole star to bring it to 5.

• Nicolas Meise

★★★★★ Added by Nicolas Meise

An American masterpiece. One of the greatest accomplishments in film. Also my first Robert Altman film, as he's a huge influence on my favorite director, Paul Thomas-Anderson. It's great to see the similarities of styles between both of them, and how PTA used a lot of little details from NASHVILLE to help create BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA. I'm very excited to dig into the rest of Altman's catalog now.

• Andrew Robinson

★★★ Watched by Andrew Robinson 15 Apr, 2014

Part of me wants to talk about how much of a non-story this movie is and how that frustrates me... another part of me wants to talk about how amazing the music (which is approximately 50% of the film) is and how much that makes me happy....

That ending though...

• Alex Krajci

★★★★ Watched by Alex Krajci 13 Apr, 2014

I Like 1975's Nashville.

• Joe Dutch Schraufnagel

★★★★★ Added by Joe Dutch Schraufnagel

I'll be up-front with y'all right now. People who can't appreciate this fine, fine film irk me.

• Chris Stanton

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Stanton 11 Apr, 2014

An emotionally devastating film that operates in a whole separate universe of genius.

• Samuel B. Prime

★★★★ Rewatched by Samuel B. Prime 04 Apr, 2014

An evening of memories rushing to the fore, preceded by CS-2010 "The Party."

"I'm not preoccupied with stories, I'm preoccupied with life." - Robert Altman

Also: During the Q&A, Elliot Gould compared NASHVILLE to Jean Renoir's GRAND ILLUSION, in terms of each film's respective national importance.

• bluevoid

★★★½ Watched by bluevoid 20 Mar, 2014

A kind of rambling, character driven, portrait of Nashville. I have no idea if the picture painted of the Nashville music scene at that time is anything close to authentic, but it feels like it is. That’s good enough for me. Really, where the strength of this film lies is in its large ensemble cast. Over the course of the movie we get to know them. The plot is thin, but the character personalities are large. It’s an interesting film, almost feeling experimental, but it works out well.

• Stephen Earnest

★★★★ Watched by Stephen Earnest 27 Mar, 2014

Jesus, was that rough. I don’t know if I have enough strength within me to watch Nashville again. I don’t know if I can put myself through it a second time. The humiliation, the manipulation, the cynicism, the moral bankruptcy on display is frightening and upsetting enough to make you not want to leave the house for days on end, which just about sums up how I feel right now.

Altman’s style of filmmaking is apocalyptic. What I mean is…

• Matt Kraus

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Kraus 17 Mar, 2014

A day away from watching it and I'm already convinced it's one of the greatest films about America I've ever seen. You can't really comprehend how brilliant it is until you start to reflect on it.