• Celine

★★ Added by Celine

I think this film is very overrated. I think it has two amazing scenes- the one with Lily Tomlin at home with her family and the one where Keith Carradine sings 'I'm Easy." Those are the only two good scenes in a very long and otherwise boring movie.

• Hannah Lynch

★★★★ Watched by Hannah Lynch 20 May, 2015

Director Robert Altman successfully orchestrates a highly revealing political piece through realistic improvisation, and utilization of visual devices. While other film's use their robust cast list as a gimmick, the use of underrated actors who were given improvisational freedom and encouraged to pen their own songs contributes to the work's pragmatism. Instead of feeling bombarded, each player's limited screen time is put to use as some work as symbolic plot devices to convey the corruption and egotism that comes as the price to fame.

• chrislynch

★★★★½ Added by chrislynch

I’m not exactly a fan of Altman. But I’d only seen three of his films before this one: Short Cuts (hated it), M*A*S*H (loved it), Gosford Park (enjoyed it but found it underwhelming). So knowing that Nashville would resemble Short Cuts more than the other two, I settled in and expected the worse.

But it didn’t happen. The film started and I was instantly hooked. I sat and I watched as events played out in front of me - mundane,…

• Matt Curione

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Curione 17 May, 2015

Both epic and intimate in a way only Robert Altman could achieve.

Anytime someone calls a film "that director's Nashville" it's irrelevant. Nothing will ever be Nashville.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 14 May, 2015

The moment I saw the recording studio, I knew I had found a sort of Portlandia predecessor that simultaneously poked great fun at its community while still treating it with some affection. Nashville displays toxic masculinity, the destructive allure of fame, a lot of awful, in-character music, the healing power that music grants, the personalities which misunderstand creativity, and deep sorrow. It's a great film that led to many great films, but it's also an epic that feels its length.

• Liam Haber

★★★★★ Watched by Liam Haber 13 May, 2015 2

The Remainder #14: Nashville
    __________________________________________________________
    Film 5 of the "Scavenger Hunt #2" Challenge!
    __________________________________________________________

It doesn't take very long for most movies about music to get on my nerve. As the songs keep playing in context of the movie, the ways they are shoved in are more and more contrived. But Nashville never has those problems. Instead, it is a smart and interesting movie about more than music. A lot more.
    This is only the second film by Robert Altman…

• Thom Loudon

★★★★★ Watched by Thom Loudon 12 May, 2015

I love this idea of the roots of a country. The need in America in the mid 1970s, as the “Replacement Party” puts it in the film, is to plant new roots. This is rather ludicrous and funny with an opening scene showing country singer Haven Hamilton singing a tacky song celebrating the nations upcoming bicentennial - “we must be doing something right to last 200 years”..... Something right yes. In the films wild mosaic of characters and themes theres…

• stevenedwards

★★★★ Watched by stevenedwards 09 May, 2015

An absolute masterclass screenplay that somehow seems to give 24 characters enough to do and not feel crammed or contrived in trying to get them all in the same place. It's one I feel I need to watch again mostly because there are so many moving pieces at all times and connecting the dots can get daunting. The film is wonderfully acted, the songs are fantastically written to the point you can imagine hearing them on the radio and Altman's direction is sublime as usual.

• Zack Ford

★★★★★ Watched by Zack Ford 28 Apr, 2015

Every little second, every little action matters. You can read so much from the tiniest gesture and reactions, creating a community that is very lived in.

• Paulo Godchalk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paulo Godchalk 03 May, 2015

This is an astonishing achievement. Words fail me.

How about this: Nashville is probably the best American film yet made.

• jimmymarkum

★★★★½ Rewatched by jimmymarkum 02 May, 2015

She, uhm... Did you ever hear a chicken sound? You know how chickens go? Here, chick, chick, chick! Here, chick, chick, chick!

In Altman's famous 160-minute long musical drama, the eponymous Tennessee town is at the same time the scene of a country music festival and one of the stopovers of a US presidential campaign. An unusual-ly metaphorical, synecdochical picture for its times: the Nashville-the-movie's Today's America was (quite rightly I think) for Altman, the America of those country-music-singer-and/or-lover-characters. She…

• Emmett Foss

★★★★★ Rewatched by Emmett Foss 02 May, 2015

Unbelievably great. Better the second time, and definitely one of my all-time favorites.