• cameron morewood

★★★★ Rewatched by cameron morewood 30 Jun, 2015

Altman's film understands that clumsiness and impulsiveness, as attributes, are just as American as cathartic communion over bad music. It's vast and exquisitely detailed, as the majority of the filmmaker's character epics are. Perhaps I'll write a larger piece about why this film captures the American spirit in a way that truthfully reflects what America is (rather than fellating what people pretend it is, as many films do today) at a later date. For now, I have many more films I've watched the past week to write about.

• Carlos Valladares
  • Lara Morgan

★★★½ Watched by Lara Morgan 03 Jul, 2015

"Hey, you haven't seen my wife, have ya? She's sort of ordinary-lookin'."

• Etan Weisfogel

★★★★★ Watched by Etan Weisfogel 04 Jul, 2015

Decided to fill in one of my biggest cinematic blindspots this July 4th. I'll have much, much more to say about this, but there were times while watching this where I thought it might just be my favorite film ever made. Cannot believe it took me this long to see this movie. Monumental.

• Hamus

Watched by Hamus 03 Jul, 2015

A musical mosaic of a huge ensemble cast's intermeshed lives; one of the most impressive pieces of Americana there is.

Unfortunately, I'm not American.

With fair amounts of screentime given to every one of its 24 unique characters along with the direction of Altman, each individual is adequately fleshed out and possesses traits that reflect on essentially every type of American citizen or just most types of people in general. To call Nashville a microcosm is to speak the truth.…

• Sean Hillary

★★★★★ Watched by Sean Hillary 02 Jul, 2015

A sprawling epic about the American Dream and the tragedy and elation it can bring. Truly outstanding.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★★ Added by Matty Stanfield

Robert Altman's 1975 examination of American culture and it's ever-growing fascination with "celebrity" is one of the key films to emerge from the 1970's. Further to the point, it is an American cinematic masterpiece.

As far I am concerned this is an essential film.

• Bennett Malcolmson

Watched by Bennett Malcolmson 26 Jun, 2015

Nashville is a film that floats along, poetically weaving through the lives of many of many distinct characters. This is the second Altman film I've seen, and I really appreciate his naturalistic approach to film making. With his assured style it feels if you have been thrown in with the musicians, politicians, and other various citizens of the iconic country music city. Nashville also works as a great commentary on the nature of a post-Kennedy and post Watergate America. It's…

• Nate

Rewatched by Nate 29 Jun, 2015

4/4 [Canonized]

I've now seen this movie 6 times... I'm going to detail my experience with Nashville each time I've seen it.

First Viewing: I found it to be a big hot pointless mess that never seemed to end.

Second Viewing: Hold on, this film isn't as bad as I thought it was. It isn't a mess, it's purposefully convoluted, and that's the point. It's actually a masterpiece.

Third Viewing: I'm starting to see more and more things every time…

• David Gutierrez

★★ Watched by David Gutierrez 17 Mar, 2015

Just too, too messy. Too many characters, each with its uninteresting story, everybody talking at the same time, making it impossible to identify what people are saying, characters appearing after such a long time in the film that it's very easy to forget what his/her story was about. After a while, I was trying to be selective in what to pay attention to, but after some more time, it was too much and I gave up; I even didn't know who was on screen or what was happening anymore. If this is always Altman's style, I'll pass. His films are just not for me.

• Alex Schwartz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Schwartz 22 Jun, 2015

Gets better every time.

• Seb

★★★★½ Watched by Seb 22 Jun, 2015

Small, interrelated stories and characters create a potent microcosm of 70s America in "Nashville", Robert Altman's sprawling musical/drama that puts character before narrative. Like "Inherent Vice", the texture of the time and place captured is the film's most satisfying element. This makes its pleasures more retrospective, as it's difficult to know how you should be viewing "Nashville" when it's playing out. Personally, I was hanging onto every line of dialogue and trying to keep track of what the characters were…