• Fireballoon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Fireballoon 18 Jul, 2014

Robert Altman's "Nashville" (1975) is an exhilarating experience and a lasting monument to his unique style of film-making. Experimental cinema reached the mainstream with this fascinating study of American culture in the post 60s era and its fixations on politics, religion, sex, race and violence. And Altman's genius is that none of it is forced or didactic or "in your face;" it just seems to be happening naturally right before your eyes. One does not so much view the film…

• kyrak

★★★★½ Watched by kyrak 14 Jun, 2014

Glorious, character-driven story with energetic direction from Robert Altman. This is one of those movies that I would give anything to have just been an observer on set to see the process of unraveling the characters and patching together a natural-looking position for the eaves-dropping camera and microphones. This one was ahead of its time and reinforces the importance of the 1970s as a seminal decade in film.

Why watch it? Great acting, unpredictable direction, a time capsule of mid-70s culture

• Daniel Sarath

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Sarath 17 Jul, 2014 6

Am I missing something here? Because while Nashville is watchable enough -- mostly for the music and the performances -- and its epic breadth is admirable, I don't really get the acclaim. It is not bad filmmaking by any means, but it is rambling to the point of exhaustion.

• DavidM3000AD

★★½ Rewatched by DavidM3000AD 16 Jul, 2014

Well, at least I made it through to the end this time. Previous viewings of Altman's influentially scrappy Nashville have sent me to sleep at somewhere around the point where the 17th cheesy, out-of-tune country song in a row starts up.
    In his audio commentary, Altman states that without the songs, the film would be at least an hour shorter - now, that's the version of Nashville I want to see!

Anyway. Yes, it's too long, there are too many…

• Rob Simpson

★★★★½ Watched by Rob Simpson 14 Jul, 2014

Altman's Nashville would be another worthy addition to the list of perfect movies if it wasn't for the music. Nashville is basically a movie that doesn't put a foot wrong nor is there a tangible way it could be bettered. Funny, touching, evocative and intricate. Yet without that music the film wouldn't work at all, its a catch 22 for me I'm afraid. You can't have the creative community of Nashville without country music, they are one and the same thing.

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 10 Jun, 2014

thought: someone should make this but with rap music

• FilmApe

★★★★ Watched by FilmApe 14 Jul, 2014 7

I am not sure how I feel about this film. It is depressing and cynical, while also being honest and compassionate. I think the ending has me the most disquieted, in that I'm not sure if it is a biting commentary on how the masses will accept all the garbage in the world, all the hurt and suffering, as long as they have some form of catchy entertainment to distract them, or if the ending is a celebration of cheap entertainment as a means of escapism.

• Jeremiah Dollins

★★★★★ Watched by Jeremiah Dollins 12 Jul, 2014

Robert Altman's masterpiece is essential viewing. It uses the world of Nashville, TN as a small sampling of the U.S. during the late 60s and shows the changing tides in political thinking. Typical of Altman, scene after scene juggles multiple characters in a sprawling ensemble, allowing conversations to overlap one another, creating a chaotic, yet revelatory environment that allows characters to reveal their true selves.

The plot, if the movie has one, centers around a political campaign for a new…

• Paul Lister

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Lister 06 Jul, 2014

Nashville is a film I watched when I was younger and just did not connect with the film. The film is a sprawling take on the Nashville music scene and it's inhabitants, inflated ego's, deluded talentless singers looking for a big break, political motivations, obsessive fans and an enduring notion that the spirit of Nashville shall not be broken are all part of the sprawl. There isn't a specific plot or narrative, just a take on a time, place and…

• Arik Devens

★★★★ Watched by Arik Devens 06 Jul, 2014

A sprawling epic about a particular place in a particular time. It’s a story of a certain kind of America, where it was and where it might go. It’s impressive, and it’s also just damned entertaining.

I love Nashville, the place I mean. Anyone who knows me, knows that it might be my favorite place in the country. And, while I definitely wasn’t there in 1975, I can absolutely imagine that it was just as this film portrays it to…

• Richard Lennox

★★★★ Watched by Richard Lennox 02 Jul, 2014

I love the look of this film. Altman's story is as crazy as its characters; bonkers.

• yrsurfinman

Watched by yrsurfinman 27 May, 2014

Yesssss. One of my very favorite movies. One thing I like in this is how Altman really uses the WHOLE frame. That approach bleeds over into the sound as well, with Altman’s famous overlapping dialogue. One feels as if one is overhearing the movie.
    This time I really noticed the theme of celebrity. The film at once cuts down the notion of celebrity while also showing the weird role it has in our lives.