• punkduck

Rewatched by punkduck 08 Feb, 2015

Living room, Cambridge, Massachusetts, with Dan J.

• Oti

★★★★★ Added by Oti

No recuerdo cómo llegué a esta película, posiblemente siguiendo la estela de la música Country, pero ha sido una muy grata sorpresa. A través de diversas historias y personajes, muestra una sátira de la sociedad americana, y el mundo de la música y discográficas. Acompañada de una estupenda música, ganando el Oscar a la mejor canción en 1976, "I´m Easy" de Keith Carradine (www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSc7QzWtt8), único Oscar de las 5 nominaciones que tuvo.

I dont remember how I came to this…

• NowVoyager88

★★★★½ Watched by NowVoyager88 27 Feb, 2015

As long as the film's running time is, when it ended, I was so engrossed in the characters and the story that it felt rather sudden. Every character holds the viewer's interest and could have been the center of their own film. The casting was unbelievably perfect, and Altman has so much going on in this film that one would have to rewatch it several times to understand the full scope of events.

Still what shined most for me was…

• mikeyzjames

★★★★ Added by mikeyzjames

Altman makes the best hang-out movies. I've had some of these songs stuck in my head for days, even if I wish some of the singing performances were better (particularly Henry Gibson, even though he's a badass in all other respects). Really funny, biting, and charming, you know, Altman-esque.

• Nick Jolly

★★★★ Watched by Nick Jolly 22 Feb, 2015

The quintessential American answer to CINEMA.

• Brian Welk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brian Welk 14 Feb, 2015

How do you like this for a Valentine's Day movie? Just about no movie feels as rich in detail and world building. If anything comes close, Altman made it too.

More thoughts to come on The Sanity Clause.

• Michael Elias

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Elias 26 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

If Geraldine Chaplin serves as our entry point, Lily Tomlin represents what most viewers may get out of NASHVILLE as a whole. We may feel removed from this world, but when it speaks to us, its appeal can be mesmerizing and sublime. This is largely due to Altman's female characters, who provide the film with an emotional resonance the elevates NASHVILLE beyond its political satire. And when it's over, we, like Tomlin with Keith Carradine, can quietly and happily slip away until we get the urge to visit again.

• Josiah Burns

★★★½ Watched by Josiah Burns 11 Feb, 2015

Altman's opus. Five days in the lives of twenty plus main characters, most of whom play music. Action set in the titular city. Lots of nice camera zooms. A slice of mid-seventies American life.

• Jessica Bowman

Watched by Jessica Bowman 08 Aug, 2013

The next film on my American Film Institute Top 100 list was #59 -Nashville. Directed by Robert Altman and recipient of numerous awards and nominations, I was expecting something pretty spectacular. When both Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin hail it as one of the best films of 1975, I have to feel that I'm going to at least appreciate it if not like it.

The film is (obviously) set in Nashville and focuses on the country music scene and a…

• Colin George

★★★ Watched by Colin George 10 Feb, 2015

It's obvious Paul Thomas Anderson is a student of Altman, and Inherent Vice is every bit as narratively meager and meandering as the late director's magnum opus. Nashville is quintessentially representative of the breed of languid '70s cinema that does absolutely nothing for me.

• Reed Gill

★★★★★ Watched by Reed Gill 09 Feb, 2015 1

I need to see this again soon. It might be one of the best films ever made.

• zweidreifuenf_1

Watched by zweidreifuenf_1 02 Feb, 2015

the definite great american picture, robert altmans ganz unergleichlicher realismus, lange brennweiten, langsame kamerabewegungen und zooms, tiefe in auditiver und visueller ebene, eigentlich ein musical, passend zur kommentarfunktion des musicals, wenn es ein amerikanisches genre gibt dann das musical, kritische betrachtung der amerikanischen gegenwart, aber immer mitten drin, mit einer melancholischen empathie für alle figuren, einem traurig-hoffnungsvollen, durch und durch amerikanischen ende, verarbeitet kulturelle mythen, ein film der stilistisch so tief in der amerikanischen kultur verwurzelt ist das er woanders unmöglich sein würde, hier aber beeindruckend nah an der perfektion ist