• mptyv

★★★ Watched by mptyv 22 Aug, 2014

Very few movies that try to tackle contemporary issues manage to stay relevant 40 years later. Network is one such movie. Though it was meant to be an absurd extreme, The Howard Beale Show is not unlike modern day exploitation TV such as Springer and Maury.

Writer Patty Chayevsky makes it very clear what he thinks about the Evils of Television, and what they will lead to. He likes to beat it over your head with power Sermons delivered in…

• Samuel

★★★★★ Watched by Samuel 20 Nov, 2014

Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube. This tube is the gospel, the ultimate revelation; this tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers; this tube is the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people, and that's why woe is us that Edward George Ruddy died. Because this…

• David

★★★½ Rewatched by David 17 Nov, 2014

I was an enormous fan of this when I saw it in high school. Now, I still like it, but its impact has been diminished. There's no denying the wonderful writing and powerhouse cast. Its message is as relevant as ever. The problem with it is simple: too much fucking talking.Too many loud, long-winded diatribes. They're exhausting by the end of it. They also undercut the emotions a bit, too. They spend too much time talking about them and not…

• Gabriel Martz

★★★★ Added by Gabriel Martz

The monologues alone make this movie worth watching.

• Colonel_Dax

★★★★★ Rewatched by Colonel_Dax 15 Nov, 2014

Nope, nothing has changed.

This is still the best.

• James Healey

★★★½ Watched by James Healey 06 Oct, 2013

Different to what I was expecting.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★★½ Watched by Keith LaFountaine 13 Nov, 2014

Brilliantly acted, solidly directed, and superbly written. Network holds up surprisingly well, given its age, and its message is applicable even today. The only thing working against this film is its pacing which, at times, feels a bit jagged.

• fox

★★ Watched by fox 15 Apr, 2014

"technology and women are evil, tv is turning us into inhuman monsters!!!!!!!"

• DanStew

★★★★½ Rewatched by DanStew 11 Nov, 2014

I didn't realize some of the nuance of this film on first watch. Great film. Fantastic writing, performances, and cinematography.

Damn good.

• Ron Williams

★★★★★ Watched by Ron Williams 29 Sep, 2014

One of the seminal films of American Cinema in the 70’s, Network is the definition of satire done well. It skewers the concept of media to its core with some of the most brilliant writing you’ll find in any form.

If you like your films to have great casts playing incredible characters that deliver some of the most powerful and timeless monologues you’ll ever see, you should probably check out Network.

• Daniel

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel 11 Nov, 2014

Nothing can be said about this film that hasn't already been said before. A biting satire that doesn't rely entirely on that crutch in place of well developed characters and a fascinating storyline.

• Trae Melton

★★★★½ Watched by Trae Melton 31 Aug, 2014

This film was shown to the crew of Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia" as a sort of template for what he envisioned the film to be. Real good stuff, I'd had the script just on my coffee table for months and I found myself consulting it after just to reread these staggering bouts of dialogue. No one but PTA has ever told me to watch this, which I find to be a failure in the university system/life itself.