• Will Burgess

★★★★ Watched by Will Burgess 17 Apr, 2014

A superb film about the American television industry that doesn't rely on music to emphasise the drama or absurdity of the story. It's simply driven by its satire/social commentary, great performances and well-written dialogue.

• Robert A

★★★★★ Added by Robert A

There are some organizations whose bonds are unimpeachable. No not the government, not the church. But the nightly news, that great behemoth of the public trust, that provides to us, enough knowledge to keep our society functioning.

That is, until it starts telling us how to feel instead of what to know. It holds up a mirror to our anger, reflects it back at us, tells us we're right for feeling it, pats us on the head and gives us…

• Stephen

★★★★ Watched by Stephen 15 Apr, 2014

Everybody focuses on Peter Finch's wonderfully performed rants - but really, everything the film has to say is summed up by seeing a revolutionary army argue about distribution rights.

An exceptional ending follows a slow middle, though any film to use the portmanteau "commu-nigger" can't go far wrong.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 15 Apr, 2014

Films I hope to see by the end of 2014

Where do I begin? It's hard to believe just how relevant this movie would be almost 40 years after it's release. Paddy Chayefsky's screenplay is one of the best I've ever come across. Sidney Lumet's direction is powerful and the performances are incredible. Every actor in this movie brought their A-game. William Holden's Max is, in my opinion, the most important character here. The audience is Max. We see how…

• Chevalier

★★★★ Added by Chevalier

Howard Beale tells America how it is, and the studio suits quickly transform him into a product, ready for mass consume. When he realizes that it's already too late, and while the final act may go to the most extreme to prove it's point, it makes perfect sense in the context of the story. It doesn't matter how "transgressive" the material might be, it can be repackaged, transformed, and ready to make a profit, while things will always remain the…

• James Berclaz-Lewis

★★★★½ Watched by James Berclaz-Lewis 12 Apr, 2014

The prophet was Lumet and team. Anticipated the audience participation, though his involved actual physical involvment, leagues away from the scarier still livetweet hashtags.

• Judah Finnigan

★★★★★ Watched by Judah Finnigan 12 Apr, 2014

you're television incarnate, diana: indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. all of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. war, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer, and the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. you even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. you're madness, diana. virulent madness; and everything you touch dies with you.

• Xarnis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Xarnis 10 Apr, 2014

The world is a business

It seems to me like Sidney Lumet and Paddy Chayefsky were the real prophets here. This film also might just have the greatest screenplay ever.

Why me?
    - Because you're on the television, dummy

• Jimmy Jones

★★★★½ Added by Jimmy Jones

Network is a powerhouse social satire of American journalism, entertainment, and culture in general. The dark humor is unique and refreshing, aided by heartful performances by Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway, and Peter Finch. The story is quick, compelling, and weird. Sidney Lumet has a unique touch to things, that's for sure. Definitely ahead of its time, and I sure hope it was a little controversial when it came out.

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 06 Apr, 2014

"YOU HAVE MEDDLED WITH THE PRIMAL FORCES OF NATURE, MR. BEALE, AND I WON'T HAVE IT!!!"

STORY 4.5/5
    WRITING 5/5
    ACTING 5/5
    MUSIC 4.5/5
    CINEMATOGRAPHY 5/5

While the cast is absolutely amazing, especially Peter Finch and William Holden, the one that stuck out to me this time through was definitely Faye Dunaway. The determination and brilliance she displays in her performance is absolutely stunning, and I did not realize this last time I watched the film!
    While it presents some…

• Anthony Paprika

★★★★½ Watched by Anthony Paprika 03 Apr, 2014

hard-hitting

• Bob Rutiger

★★★ Watched by Bob Rutiger 27 Jan, 2014

Network is an interesting satire on the power of television networks, and what it means to be successful in the television business. After everything is said and done, ratings triumph over all, and so does money. At the end of the day, whatever sells is what keeps you on the air.

Howard Beale is a news anchor that works for the UBS network. His superiors have planned to fire him. His best friend Max, who also works for the network,…