• Rain Antonov

★★★½ Watched by Rain Antonov 04 Apr, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

One of the most incisive and clever social commentary films of the past century, this film has clearly had an impact on our culture while still portraying an unnervingly clear portrait of where we are heading as a society. In the era of the 24-hour news cycle, Paddy Chayefsky's vision of television's future has only become more relevant with time. With a layered plot and fast-paced, witty dialogue (that clearly would become an influence on writers like Aaron Sorkin), it…

• Matthew Carieri

★★★★★ Watched by Matthew Carieri 25 May, 2015

Decades after its release, Network rings with a haunting relevancy. The most beautiful painting of human connectedness pitted against the immutable power of the media and professional hunger

• B Henrique
  • Chris Hodgson

★★★★½ Added by Chris Hodgson

What impresses most about Network is how patiently it builds from subtle satire into all-out farce. This is an incredibly well written film, full of genuine foresight and performed superbly by a wonderful cast. Beatrice Straight's Oscar win for Best Supporting Actress seems ludicrous for a performance totalling less than six minutes but that one scene still feels special today. The set designs betray its age but this is a film that not only holds up but excels in today's environment with its willingness to be bitingly cynical and cruel.

• Brian Grabbatin

★★★ Watched by Brian Grabbatin 21 May, 2015

I guess I'm wrong about this one. I've seen it twice and don't see what all the fuss is about. There are a handful of great scenes from Peter Finch's monologues, Ned Beatty's intervention, and Duvall/Dunaway's staff meetings. However, most of the running time is devoted to other plot lines (an affair and radical reality show), which don't work for me. Part of the problem is that the message about media politics and exploitation probably felt fresh in 1976. They are still relevant in 2015, but tritely familiar.

• Eden

★★★★½ Watched by Eden 21 May, 2015

“This tube is the gospel, the ultimate revelation; this tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers; this tube is the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people.”

This slow burner really snuck up on me and dug it’s claws into my heart. Four decades have passed since Network came out but this script hasn’t aged a day; every speech, every rant of the madman Beale is just as prevalent today as it was then. It makes you mad as hell.

• Christian

★★★★★ Watched by Christian 20 May, 2015

Masterpiece.

• Rob Young

★★ Watched by Rob Young 21 May, 2015

You know this started good and then I don't know what happened.

• Adam_Zanzie

★★★★★ Added by Adam_Zanzie

IT'S A BIG, FAT, BIG-TITTED HIT!

• Simon Smith

★★★★½ Watched by Simon Smith 17 May, 2015 1

Excellent slow burner where TV execs decide to take on a mentality unstable man that has a breakdown on air and causes ratings to go through the roof. Slowly, they drag him into a pit of despair and the film focuses on four characters in various states of temptation to the corporate and TV ladder. Do they all get sucked into the corporate wheel and continue to go for shock value to make more money? And if they do how…

• Peter

★★★★½ Added by Peter

Brilliant satire of the American news industry. It deserves all the praise it gets. One of my new favorite movies.

• Ash_Clark

★★ Rewatched by Ash_Clark 12 May, 2015

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEgh8TUlpQc

Prescient, sure. But also rancidly smug and appallingly overacted/written.