• chujus

★★★★½ Added by chujus

Great characters and cinematography, this film delved into a great many themes from which it extracted a great many truths. The dead girl ending felt a bit tacked on, but was still masterfully executed, as was the rest of the film. Loved this.

• MrTaylor

★★★★½ Added by MrTaylor 2

Hirokazu Koreeda will stop your heart and remember to break it - not by manufacturing fictitious drama but by opening your eyes to a real tragedy case. When a mother abandons her four children in a small apartment to seek out male companionship, she leaves her oldest son in charge of meals, electric and water bills and the overall well being of the household siblings. You can't make these true stories up, you just can't.

As innocence is lost, the…

• Bob Hovey

★★★★ Watched by Bob Hovey 12 Jun, 2014

Beautiful but heart-wrenching film, loosely based on a true story of an irresponsible mother who abandons her four children to fend for themselves. Beautiful because of the way it's made... the kids are portrayed with quiet dignity and closeup vignettes of their lives ... a tiny bit of crayon, a few coins on the table, a plant on the balcony. a small toy. In that respect it reminds me a bit of Scent of Green Papaya, but it's a bit…

• minnie melts

★★★★ Added by minnie melts

Realistic, sad, and dark. Kids who are still clueless-to-the-world and need of protection, left irresponsibly by their bitch-ass mother (oh, how i want to slap her in the face), and the eldest one, tries his best to be as responsible as he could, even though he's still has a childish side that can't be hold back, which is fully understandable cos he's just a 12 yr old boy. Geez, this movie squeezed my heart in a gloomy way. Knowing this is based on true story makes me feel more stomachache.

• Mark

★★★★★ Watched by Mark 15 Mar, 2014 1

Nobody Knows tells the tale of four children (aged from 12 to 5) who are left to look after themselves when their mother abandons them. The film is based on a real life incident which took place in Tokyo in 1988.

Director Kore-eda shoots the film in a very naturalistic, almost documentary style. Despite the grim circumstances of the story the film captures well the beauty and wonder of children at play and shows the strong bond between the siblings…

• Sreedevi Baburaj

★★★★½ Watched by Sreedevi Baburaj 09 May, 2014

it did hurt me :(

• Joey

★★★★ Watched by Joey 28 Apr, 2014

A really fantastic but bleak movie. It will ruin your day but I loved it. Reminded me a lot of Grave of the Fireflies, just in a different setting.

• Nicolas Meise

★★★★½ Added by Nicolas Meise

Fucking heart-wrenching. A particular sequence in this movie makes my whole body shiver with sadness.

• Richard Killiam

★★★½ Watched by Richard Killiam 06 Apr, 2014

Probably the best child acting I've ever seen, before too long I wasn't even aware of any acting, per se. The story's similarities to "Grave of the Fireflies" of this kind of thing being a long-lived trope in Japanese drama, but it's based on a true story. Long after I've forgotten what exactly the ending was, many of the images and moods still haunt me.

• Efe D.

★★★★★ Watched by Efe D. 18 Apr, 2014

Now that is a good film!

• Zim Dela Peña

★★★★½ Watched by Zim Dela Peña 09 Apr, 2014

Uhmmmm... life. I love the soundtrack, the story, and the characters.

01:18pm, 040914

• Vaishnav

★★★★½ Watched by Vaishnav 08 Apr, 2014

I expected this to be another beautiful family drama, as I loved Hirokazu Koreeda's Still Walking (2008) very much.. but this is not.. A powerful shocking drama on the life of four children after their mother leaving them to live on their own.. As the film goes on, it insanely shake us to see how their life turns out.. Very real and very hard one..