• Danny Webster

★★★★ Watched by Danny Webster 04 Mar, 2015

Director Project

Director: Hirokazu Koreeda (Second Film)

Nobody Knows is a film based on true events; true events which are far more heartbreaking and disturbing than anything that happens here, but this film is every bit as heartbreaking because Koreeda presents it in a way that makes it all seem okay: as if they're getting by but slowly, and subtly the lights start to go out, the water stops running and their money starts to clatter as notes become coins…

• AndresBecerra

★★★★½ Added by AndresBecerra

This is quite possibly one of the saddest films I've seen. However, it shows great compassion for its beautifully written characters, especially the lead Akira, played with remarkable subtlety and genuine honesty by Yuya Yagira, who, along with his siblings, is abandoned by their mother, and left to fend for themselves.
    As their situation deteriorates, the despair of these young innocent lives is palpable, which makes the experience of watching the film very real and all the more tragic. There…

• Nick Kline

★★★½ Watched by Nick Kline 11 Feb, 2015

A low 3.5. Frequently gorgeous, but the littlest bit too loose for me (crosses the line from meditative to repetitive... at 140 minutes this is such a slog. That seems to be the intention here, for the pace and structure to illustrate their plight or what not, but slow and repetitive existence doesn't have to be boring). Only seen a few Kore-edas, but he's absolutely stunning with child actors and establishing shots.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 27 Jan, 2015 1

"I'm not allowed to be happy?''

How can your own flesh and blood say that???

Koreeda channels Ozu aka the Master of Simplicity and pays tribute to Hitchcock in a slow burn thriller sequence which had me in knots...Had this been in the hands of another director it would have turned into loud and cliched consequences but instead it becomes a restraint,effective and thoughtful experience. Well deserved winner of Best Actor at Cannes.

• Willem

★★★★½ Watched by Willem 24 Jan, 2015

Heartbreaking story acted out very well. We waren totaal verslagen aan het eind.

• Bryan Manner

★★★★★ Watched by Bryan Manner 17 Jan, 2015

This may be the highest I've ever rated a film in which I have no plans on watching it again any time soon. The best films are the ones that make you think about it long after, and NOBODY KNOWS is one of those films. What makes it particularly interesting (and unbelievable) is that this horrifying story is based on true events.

Yes, the 2hr20min run-time seems long at times, but without the very slow pace and long run-time I…

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 07 Jan, 2015

The heartwrenching moments that make up this film never announce themselves. They simply arrive by the hand of a director with such a light, but focused hand. And when they arrive they have our fullest investment in them. This is a beautiful, but mature coming-of-age journey firmly placed in reality, but never loses its lingering and insistent foot in the fleeting fantastical where our main characters desperately want to be and play.

• James Healey

★★★ Watched by James Healey 04 Jan, 2015 5

Nothing is more upsetting than being disappointed with a well acclaimed film by a director you love. Was really hoping this would be another 5/5 like Still Walking and After Life, but I found Nobody Knows to be boring and way too long. It's also a heartbreaking story, but I didn't feel anything from it. On a positive note, the child actors were incredible.

• Daniel Aaron Wolfe

★★★ Watched by Daniel Aaron Wolfe 14 Dec, 2014

An amazingly depressing 90 minute film that unfortunately runs 140 minutes instead.

• Gogo

★★★★½ Watched by Gogo 14 Dec, 2014 2

Nobody Knows is an enigma in its morose, calm, blunt nature. Simplicity is above all the most powerful way to command an audience to have a certain perception of a designated reality.

This is my first Hirokazu Koreeda film and I must say I'm impressed with his mastery of this simplicity I incessantly drone on and on about. Works like these remind me that Japanese films don't have to be excessive, extravagant, and ludicrous to be truly emotive and impassioned…

• vomitpuddle

★★★½ Watched by vomitpuddle 09 Dec, 2014

sleepy film, like watching over the shoulder of your brother as he fixes something with a magic kind of expertness.

• MrJago

★★★★ Watched by MrJago 19 Nov, 2014

FOR GODS SAKE WILL SOMEONE CALL SOCIAL SERVICES I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE :-(

Very touching and I liked the unobtrusive cinematography but I did feel the runtime a tiny bit, I gotta say.