• Varghese Eapen

★★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 27 Jan, 2015 1

"I'm not allowed to be happy?''

How can your own flesh and blood say that???

Koreeda channels Ozu aka the Master of Simplicity and pays tribute to Hitchcock in a slow burn thriller sequence which had me in knots...Had this been in the hands of another director it would have turned into loud and cliched consequences but instead it becomes a restraint,effective and thoughtful experience. Well deserved winner of Best Actor at Cannes.

• Willem

★★★★½ Watched by Willem 24 Jan, 2015

Heartbreaking story acted out very well. We waren totaal verslagen aan het eind.

• Bryan Manner

★★★★★ Watched by Bryan Manner 17 Jan, 2015

This may be the highest I've ever rated a film in which I have no plans on watching it again any time soon. The best films are the ones that make you think about it long after, and NOBODY KNOWS is one of those films. What makes it particularly interesting (and unbelievable) is that this horrifying story is based on true events.

Yes, the 2hr20min run-time seems long at times, but without the very slow pace and long run-time I…

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 07 Jan, 2015

The heartwrenching moments that make up this film never announce themselves. They simply arrive by the hand of a director with such a light, but focused hand. And when they arrive they have our fullest investment in them. This is a beautiful, but mature coming-of-age journey firmly placed in reality, but never loses its lingering and insistent foot in the fleeting fantastical where our main characters desperately want to be and play.

• James Healey

★★★ Watched by James Healey 04 Jan, 2015 5

Nothing is more upsetting than being disappointed with a well acclaimed film by a director you love. Was really hoping this would be another 5/5 like Still Walking and After Life, but I found Nobody Knows to be boring and way too long. It's also a heartbreaking story, but I didn't feel anything from it. On a positive note, the child actors were incredible.

• Daniel Aaron Wolfe

★★★ Watched by Daniel Aaron Wolfe 14 Dec, 2014

An amazingly depressing 90 minute film that unfortunately runs 140 minutes instead.

• Gogo

★★★★½ Watched by Gogo 14 Dec, 2014 2

Nobody Knows is an enigma in its morose, calm, blunt nature. Simplicity is above all the most powerful way to command an audience to have a certain perception of a designated reality.

This is my first Hirokazu Koreeda film and I must say I'm impressed with his mastery of this simplicity I incessantly drone on and on about. Works like these remind me that Japanese films don't have to be excessive, extravagant, and ludicrous to be truly emotive and impassioned…

• vomitpuddle

★★★½ Watched by vomitpuddle 09 Dec, 2014

sleepy film, like watching over the shoulder of your brother as he fixes something with a magic kind of expertness.

• MrJago

★★★★ Watched by MrJago 19 Nov, 2014

FOR GODS SAKE WILL SOMEONE CALL SOCIAL SERVICES I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE :-(

Very touching and I liked the unobtrusive cinematography but I did feel the runtime a tiny bit, I gotta say.

• Carl Fenn

★★★ Watched by Carl Fenn 19 Dec, 2012

In a small Tokyo apartment, 12-year-old Akira (Yuya Yagira : Shock Labyrinth) must care for his younger siblings after their mother leaves them and doesn't seem to be coming back.
    Despite the astonishing realism that Hirokazu manages to capture in this 140 minute documentary-esqu film about how four siblings would cope without their parents, he somehow neglects to create any emotional bond between the characters and the viewer.
    Neglecting to filter out unnecessary sequences between, what should be, heart-wrenching moments…

• Carlos

★★★★★ Added by Carlos

• Nick C

★★★★★ Added by Nick C

Nobody Knows is an astonishing, powerful, and deeply moving film from Japanese director Koreeda Hirokazu. It is a film about childhood and abandonment and it explores these subjects matters beautifully. It is definitely a heavy film, so I would recommend mentally preparing for a somewhat dark story. The weight of the story may be too much for some viewers, but if you can handle the heaviness of it then you will have a cinematic experience that is clearly from a…