• ssavage

★★★★ Watched by ssavage 26 Oct, 2016

I love how slow and methodical the movie is, and how creepy and weird some of the visuals are. Isabelle Adjani and Klaus Kinski are great; that last sequence they are in is so evocative of the supernatural, and also touches on the sexual subtext present in the book.

• Jonathan Paula

★½ Watched by Jonathan Paula 17 Oct, 2016

Boring and unnecessary. From acclaimed director Werner Herzog , this West German vampire horror film saw limited release in France in 1979, before expanding internationally later that year. A stylistic remake of the silent film from 1922, this PG-rated feature closely follows the same story; after imprisoning a real estate clerk in his Transylvanian castle a vampire embarks towards Germany to feast on his next victim.

After opening with a decidedly creepy credits montage of real-life…

• Court Hansen

★★★★½ Watched by Court Hansen 25 Oct, 2016

This may be my new definitive Dracula movie.

• STR

★★★ Watched by STR 23 Oct, 2016

"Time is an abyss, profound as a thousand nights."

The cinematography is absolutely stunning, and the locations Herzog used are breathtaking. This film looks beautiful. My issue with the film is that it tries too hard to recreate moments from the original that don't really translate well to the post-silent era. I wanted this to be creepy, but the scene staging and acting modeled after the original stand out and are awkward. The pacing is still really slow and I…

• Ashley Smith

★★ Watched by Ashley Smith 25 Oct, 2016

Oh how classics disappoint...

• Camden McDonald

★★★½ Watched by Camden McDonald 24 Oct, 2016

With a very strong opening and an even stronger ending, Werner Herzog's Nosferatu is one of the better vampire movies out there, even though I wasn't too compelled by the second act.

• William Tuttle

★★★½ Watched by William Tuttle 23 Oct, 2016

WERNER sits hunched at his typewriter, pounding out a new screenplay, when suddenly -

KLAUS enters, white makeup smeared onto his face, plastic fangs in his mouth.

KLAUS: Ha, ha, look!! Spooky!!!

Werner reacts in annoyance, shooing Klaus away.

KLAUS: WhoooOOOoooOOO!

Klaus prances around the room, knocking over piles of books.

WERNER: Please! I'm trying to work!

KLAUS: Ha, ha, I'm a vampire!!

Werner looks up and his eyes alight with inspiration.

WERNER: Yes!!!! Yess!!!! Show me your fangs, Dracula!!!…

• urban19

★★½ Watched by urban19 23 Oct, 2016

this was a lot cheesier than i thought it would be

• Marisa Carpico

★★★½ Watched by Marisa Carpico 22 Oct, 2016

Has some really beautiful images and a few strong performances, but takes a little too long to get going. That said, when I does get going, it's excellent. The plague plotline adds so much.

• Vanessa

★★½ Watched by Vanessa 22 Oct, 2016 2

Hoop-Tober 3.0 #30

I might have liked this more if I hadn't watched it right after the original. Even though it's only 107 minutes it feels way too long and doesn't really add anything new to the story. It's not a bad movie, I was just really bored for most of its runtime. The best part of it is (as always) Isabelle Adjani and she hardly appears in the first half of the film.

• Matthias

★★★½ Watched by Matthias 22 Oct, 2016 4

first draft:
    "tall putin is a really bad liar, and he didn't even give him a horse"
    (no, matthias, nobody will know what you're talking about)

second draft:
    "isn't van helsing a band?"
    (omg matthias you're an idiot and your horror lore is disgraceful)

third and final draft:
    "hitler, who is married to adjani, is visiting dracula to sell him a house so he can buy her a new house"
    (uhhh... i guess...)

• metal1

★★★★½ Watched by metal1 22 Oct, 2016

You know you're watching something great when you can tell that there's a little smile on your face the whole time. Ah, the ultimate sacrifice for the one you love. Nearly everything about this film is superb. The music suits the film nicely. The sounds of The Count's castle creaking and crumbling and of the wolves and the wind both howling incite the feeling of pure dread. The creepy portrayal of The Count is second to none. A must for someone looking for a sense of thrilling suspense and, dare I say, insanity.