• Samuel

★★★★ Watched by Samuel 22 Oct, 2014

Part of: My 31 days of HORROR

My first exposure to Werner Herzog, which is weird considering that I've read a lot about him, watched lots of his interviews etc but never actually watched any of his movies. Guess I really should look into his filmography.

Definitely not perfect, it's slooow and really needs some time in the beginning to get going, but Herzog's Nosferatu is truly a spectacle to watch. The most impressive part about it is the gorgeous…

• Michael Audet

★★★★½ Watched by Michael Audet 21 Oct, 2014

Film #20 of my Hoop-tober Horror Challenge!

"Dr. Van Helsing, do you think we've all gone made and that one morning we'll all wake up and find ourselves in straight-jackets?"

No amount of money in the world could convince me to do that rat scene...

I haven't seen a whole lot of Dracula movies. The story has become so ingrained in our collective subconscious that you could ask anyone, even someone who had never seen any Dracula films or read…

• John Jay

★★★★ Watched by John Jay 20 Oct, 2014

Absolutely spectacular cinematography. The landscapes are breathtaking. I Wasn't sure what exactly to expect out of this remake, but it is very similar to the original, except this one packs an incredible visual punch along with a gorgeous score. Both films are good, but Herzog's is just so well shot... I mean damn.

This Dracula isn't as creepy as Orlock, but his more depressing take on the character makes him just slightly more interesting. I need to watch more Herzog.

October. Horror film. #29.

• Calvin John

★★★½ Watched by Calvin John 18 Oct, 2014

A grower, not a shower. Herzog's Nosferatu takes some time to really find its feat, but once it does, it's genuinely pretty excellent, and Kinski is fabulously inhuman.

At the Columbus OH 'Shock Around the Clock' 24-Hour Horror Marathon.

• Han Solo

★★★★ Watched by Han Solo 19 Oct, 2014

This, to me, plays like a television movie. There isn't a lot of dialogue. A lot of the movie is visual with music. And that's not a bad thing. It moves a little slow as well. Klaus Kinski is one creepy bastard as Count Dracula. This is the second Werner Herzog film I've seen and so far he's 50/50 with me.

Shocktober IV

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

• Sylvani

★★★★ Rewatched by Sylvani 19 Oct, 2014

Hadn't watched this straight through since a repertory cinema watch as a kid. A kid who hadn't seen the Murnau at that point, so this benefits from that familiarity. Humor felt less out of place than remembered. Either that, or the quality of the print used for the blu ray lent impact, and the Murnau watch comparatve context. The handling of coffins, army of rats, carriage and Black Plague anecdotal imagery, in particular felt an homage or reaction to Murnau. Was also left needing to see more Herzog-directed opera, after the finale.

• Alex Kittle

★★★★ Watched by Alex Kittle 17 Oct, 2014

Gradual and beautiful, proudly displaying Herzog's knack for filming in seemingly treacherous locales and making it look easy. The story and script are kind of whatever, much like the original (and maybe the book? I haven't actually read it), but like that film this can ride on the strength of its visuals, mood, and atmosphere alone. Klaus Kinski makes my skin crawl, as he should, and Isabelle Adjani is breathtakingly striking even in one of the most hideous dresses I've seen in a while. (for real www.anelnoath.com/nosfer6.jpg )

• dizzy4111

★★★★ Watched by dizzy4111 02 Oct, 2014

Klaus Kinski is a fucking animal, man. I'm ashamed to say this is my first exposure to his work with Herzog. That will be rectified soon.

• maps9

★★★★★ Added by maps9

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Alex Thompson

★★★★ Watched by Alex Thompson 15 Oct, 2014

Entry number 9 in Shocktober 2014.

I guess I knew at least some of what I was in for with this movie. Werner Herzog doing Dracula can only go a few ways. So, while nothing in this movie was particularly surprising, it was an entertaining experience. It's a movie full of philosophical pondering, rats, and Klaus Kinski in some nice Orlok make up. Is this what the guys behind True Detective watched for inspiration? "Time is an abyss... profound as…

• sarah payton

★★★½ Watched by sarah payton 06 Oct, 2014

Looks great and Kinksi is well creepy but come on, what are Adjani and Ganz doing?

• Carson Joiner

★★★½ Watched by Carson Joiner 15 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober 31 Days of Halloween (Film #24)

"Transylvania... a little gloomy but exciting."

It's been a long time since I've seen a Herzog film. I haven't seen one of his films in over a year or so, and after watching Nosferatu, I realize that I need to amend my watchlist to include some Herzog films over the next few weeks. Herzog has a special talent when it comes to imagery, and Nosferatu is a great example of some of his…