• M Kitchell

★★ Watched by M Kitchell 22 Sep, 2014

English language version.

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

Werner Herzog's 1979 remake of F.W. Murnau's classic vampire film is a flop as a horror movie, but it works as a string of Herzogian epiphanies centered on death and the apocalypse. The acting is too eccentric and the narrative drive too weak to satisfy fans of the genre, but Herzog's admirers will find much in the film's animistic landscapes and clusters of visionary imagery. The largely superfluous cast includes Klaus Kinski as the decaying count, Isabelle Adjani as the pure-hearted heroine, and the excellent Bruno Ganz as the paralyzed hero.

• Aya Vandenbussche

★★★★★ Watched by Aya Vandenbussche 10 Jul, 2015

This film is just so beautiful! I loved the atmosphere and the plague and klaus Kinsky I love the drama. It was just beautiful. Love Herzog!

• Mike

★★★★ Watched by Mike 09 Jul, 2015

Solid tribute to Murnau's film, faithful in all the right areas (even directly lifting a few shots) but differentiated by placing emphasis on certain themes the original doesn't even think to address. Like the idea that Count Dracula's centuries of living in Transylvania has been very lonely indeed. Or how the subtext of a rat-borne plague invading the west is less about fears of Eastern European (read: Jewish) immigration than it is about science discarding perhaps too much of religion…

• Piers Dennis

★★★★ Rewatched by Piers Dennis 07 Jul, 2015

What can I say about Werner Herzog... the man is a genius.
    When he's not making emotionally-resonant documentaries, he's taking the same approach to his fictional narratives.

When I first saw Nosferatu (years before I knew who Herzog was) I was expecting much more of a traditional horror movie, but this is a film that works by never quite showing the horror--at least how we're used to.
    The film is relentlessly-ominous, yet never peaks in shock. There is a constant…

• Clint Luciantonio

★★★★ Added by Clint Luciantonio

Tackling a classic for the purposes of a modern remake is always a daunting task for any film maker. When that classic is also considered to be one of the most iconic entries of a genre and one that practically set a trend for all of horror, how does one approach it? Do you attempt a revisionist standpoint and take liberties with the source material to satisfy your own creative vision? Do you meticulously reconstruct the original and hope modern…

• Taylor Kimmett

★★½ Watched by Taylor Kimmett 24 Jun, 2015

I did not really get into this for a few reasons. The way it was shot seems very handheld and not cinematic, which does not work for me with the subject matter. I also felt the score was lacking, and the cheesy frolicking-in-the-meadow music at the beginning, while I understand its purpose, was especially annoying. I had high hopes after the opening sequence, as it was very foreboding and mysterious, but ultimately I was never really engaged with the story or characters despite some titillating Dracula-Adjani scenes.

• janeth0285

★★★★★ Added by janeth0285

Fantastic, I don't tend to get into black and white but as far as classics of their genre this is it!

• Ned Ryerson

★★★½ Watched by Ned Ryerson 18 Jun, 2015

A mixed bag overall: Herzog's deep respect for Murnau's version results in him tip-toeing the line between a tempered reverence towards the original and a more contemporary, stripped-down Herzogian examination of madness. There's flashes here and there (the shots of the bats, the gypsy kid playing violin when Harker awakens), but simply put, it's not different or weird enough to have warranted a remake. There's also a fundamental shapelessness to Herzog's overall style that doesn't quite do it for me, but that's another story.

(And on an unrelated note, damn does it feel good to watch a movie after a 10-day sabbatical.)

• Adam Redman

★★★ Watched by Adam Redman 18 Jun, 2015

The English version feels oddly disjointed. Kinski was a natural at playing the monster, here he skirts around the edges of the movie once too often - the film is a lot less interesting without him in it. In its best moments, it achieves a kind of dreamlike beauty.

• Joel Clark

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joel Clark 18 Jun, 2015

Checking in yet again! You all know what i think of this... but what did my mate think (Who i watched it with)... Well he went straight home and drew up several pieces of concept art for a short film we're making, and wrote an entire second draft. This movie literally inspired the SHIT out of him.

A masterpiece! If all this evidence isn't enough so far, then fuck you.

• Rhia

★★★★ Watched by Rhia 15 Jun, 2015

This remake definitely lived up to my expectations and even surpassed them in many ways. The cinematography was beautiful.
    I'll always have a soft spot for Nosferatu.