• Falsk

not enough Kinski..

I bet he agrees with me

• Derek Godin

★★★★ Watched by Derek Godin 21 Sep, 2014

Starts off with footage of choleric mummies, and only gets creepier and more lugubrious from there. Everything (photography, score, performances, the Wernerisms in the script) is foreboding. All in all, it plays like a fleshed-out colour version of Murnau's original, but this is clearly Herzog's movie. There's a stronger focus on the infection/disease side of the vampire equation, which fits in snugly within the man's "nature is chaotic" through-line. Tons of power shots. Great moody score by Popol Vuh. Put this one in your October rotation.

• placentipede

★★★★½ Watched by placentipede 14 Sep, 2014

Beautifully shot, gloomy, moody remake of the silent film classic. Nosferatu the Vampyre is deliberately paced, even in it's most climactic moments. This dedication to old fashioned spooks builds a towering sense of dread that culminates in a heart-sinking finale (which differs from the finale in the original).

The vision of the Nosferatu (Dracula in this version, Count Orlok in the 1922 version) remains one of the most disquieting images in horror. I've seen tons of films in the genre, and something about him manages to stick in my desensitized psyche.

• Colin the dude

★★★★ Rewatched by Colin the dude 14 Sep, 2014 3

The end leaves you sedated. After two hours of watching quiet death enclose its grip on this world, we see it gallop away on horseback and disappear beyond the horizon of a still desert as if it has frozen time. And in its wake is a barren nothingness which echoes the void conquering all. It is as bleak as it possibly gets; so infinitely bleak that you can only walk away with a sense of rejuvenation, the Herzog touch if you will. Death can't be all that terrible once you've seen it through the eyes of someone who has lived too long.

• Justin Harrison

★★★★★ Watched by Justin Harrison 13 Sep, 2014

The bittersweet, temporary victory of existentialism over nihilism, told through a horrifying, unsettling vampire film starring a dude who was a worse person than the murderous vampire he was playing. It's fantastic.

• Paul Lister

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Lister 04 Sep, 2014

"Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst..."

Werner Herzog has impressed me again with his version of Nosferatu, not least because I was less than taken with it when I first watched the film many years ago. Klaus Kinski is just perfect for the role of Count Dracula, his make-up perfectly pays tribute to the wonderful Max Schreck's version of the…

• MK R

★★★★ Rewatched by MK R 03 Sep, 2014 2

A masterpiece of mood, but a bit of a shambles in terms of sustaining suspension of disbelief in regard to its 19th century setting: the otherwise haunting shot of the ship pulling into the city's canals is marred by a glaring, front and center piece of modern plastic rigging, the time lapse shot of the castle clearly shows tourists having a look-see, the rats are obviously white lab specimens unconvincingly dyed grey, and the otherwise perfect assemblage of period appropriate…

• Azal Abedi

Watched by Azal Abedi 01 Sep, 2014 1

Like this a little more than the original.

• Ollie

★★★★½ Watched by Ollie 28 Aug, 2014

Herzog nails the tone and Kinski is the best on-screen vampire I've seen.

• Bob Hovey

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bob Hovey 26 Aug, 2014

Staggeringly effective vampire film... Herzog and Kinski show us a Count Dracula who is simultaneously frightening and pitiful ... a subtle and breathtaking performance and a very believable interpretation of the legendary character, one that makes most vampire films seem silly by comparison. It was also beautifully filmed, and the music added a lot of atmosphere (except perhaps in a couple of places where it seemed a bit bombastic). Though Ganz has the most screen time, I thought it was…

• Spencer Howard

Watched by Spencer Howard 25 Aug, 2014 1

Watched for Home School Film School for this week's Film Dispenser Podcast.