• Mark Cleary

★★½ Rewatched by Mark Cleary 28 May, 2016

Kinski is definitely the best thing about this film. He is mesmerising. You can't take your eyes off him every moment he's on the screen. He's such a morose, troubled Dracula.

• Josh Liles

★★★★ Watched by Josh Liles 26 May, 2016

Kinski is truly terrifying as Dracula, the way he slowly paces through dark corridors with his heavy breathing really unsettled me. his mumbling voice and murmurs made me even more uncomfortable.

Atmospheric throughout with beautiful imagery and faithful to the tropes of the genre, this is truly one of the best vampire films.

• Teproc

★★★½ Watched by Teproc 22 May, 2016

Herzog/Kinski #2 of my Marathon of Filmspotting Marathons

Adam & Sam's take

Herzog's casting method appears to be "Find someone with haunting eyes you'd want to get lost in, and who's not afraid to go big, very big, but can make it work". So far, I approve. Just for the pleasure of hearing Adjani speaking German* (I had no idea !), I like this film already. Kinski is obviously great as Nosferatu, but Adjani gets the prize for "most improved role"…

• James Sansom

★★ Watched by James Sansom 21 May, 2016

A remake that seems unnecessary. Herzog's remake creates a truly unsettling tone in its first act. A haunting soundtrack plays over a montage of silent travelling (perhaps nodding to the Murnau original). The looming menace is quite well felt here but it slowly falls apart through a lack of cohesion. While the exterior photography of the Transylvanian landscape are striking and unique, the interiors are frequently shot hand held, highlighting an artifice to the proceedings that removes you from these…

• Tom Lehmann

★★½ Watched by Tom Lehmann 17 May, 2016

Lesser Herzog. One of those films that you can admire on a visual and aural level but that doesn't strike a single chord in your heart. Unfortunately Kinski doesn't add much either.

• Tripp Burton

★★★★ Watched by Tripp Burton 16 May, 2016

For a filmmaker so obsessed with the horrors of the natural world, there is something striking in seeing Werner Herzog take that style and eye and apply it to the horrors of the supernatural world. Herzog treats Dracula as he did Aguirre or Kaspar Hauer, with a documentarian eye for what nature can wring on us. He is aided by one of his strongest casts of the 1970s, with Klaus Kinski, Isabelle Adjani, and especially Bruno Ganz, giving it their…

• Saulo Mileti

★★★★ Watched by Saulo Mileti 13 May, 2016

Teatral, sombrio e intenso. Foi uma gata surpresa descobrir e conferir esse filme. Sou apaixonado por clássicos sobre vampiros e esse era um dos que ainda estavam pendentes em minha lista.

Recomendo não apenas para os que gostam de suspense, mas também (ou principalmente) pelo trabalho artístico. Impecável.

• Charles Camp

★★★ Watched by Charles Camp 13 May, 2016

I found this film to be a bit of a mixed bag. It has many strengths - thick atmosphere, haunting score, great cinematography, fantastic locations and great set design. Most of all, Klaus Kinski is mesmerizing as Count Dracula. He has such a strong screen presence and everything about him - the way he moves, speaks, stares - it all just works and feels very compelling. He steals every scene he is in to the point where many of the…

• Andrew Lewis

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Lewis 12 May, 2016

Kinski makes a great vampire.

• Paul Davis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Davis 12 May, 2016

Beautiful, hypnotic, poetic, and haunting. A spooky horror film and an insightful meditation on death.

• honorsphysics

★★½ Watched by honorsphysics 06 May, 2016

Like Possession, like Gothic, the sets are weirdly barren (I could understand abandoned, but the castle has very little characterization), dirty, and not even stiff acting can prop the rest of it up.

I haven't yet watched Nosferatu, but the shots I've seen show that this is a very focused recreation, and the story follows the book solidly.

Mostly awkward with weird pacing, really. Some very fun shots on the journey to the castle.

• FilmApe

★★★★★ Rewatched by FilmApe 05 May, 2016 2

Rule #1 when casting Klaus Kinski as Dracula, you eliminate the sexy part of being Dracula.