• Joey

★★★½ Watched by Joey 11 Apr, 2014

It's slow-paced without a doubt, but Werner Herzog's take on Nosferatu is atmospheric and brilliantly acted. Klaus Kinski is incredible as Count Dracula (not called Count Orlock in this remake), and the film takes a surprisingly sympathetic perspective towards the vampire. Plus the cinematography is out of this world. Worth seeing for patient horror fans.

• Steve Rogers

★★½ Watched by Steve Rogers 04 Feb, 2014

The original is Werner Herzog's opinion that it is the greatest German film ever made. This film is much slower in pace and creepier than I expected. Klaus Kinski is terrific as the vampire and I can imagine he was in character throughout the shoot. Not a great film but one that captures and spirit of the vampire theme.

• kylepsmith

★★★★ Rewatched by kylepsmith 13 Mar, 2014

In rewatching the Herzog/Kinski movies, this stands out as the strongest - it features the least Kinski, but he so vanishes into Dracula (and Dracula is wisely so litte-seen) - and it feels planned, plotted, and fretted over - unlike the brazen "Fuck It!" attitude that makes AGUIRRE, FITCARRALDO, and moments of COBRA VERDE so powerful. Anyway, this is great.

• Lucas Barwenczik

★★★½ Watched by Lucas Barwenczik 26 Feb, 2014

Werner Herzog findet in jedem Stoff das Thema seines Gesamtwerks wieder, und so wird auch seine nah am Original orientierte Neuauflage von Murnaus "Nosferatu" vor allem eine Abhandlung über den Kampf des Menschen gegen die Natur und die Grenzen seiner Willensstärke.
    Dracula, wirklich brillant verkörpert von Klaus Kinski, stellt gemeinsam mit der Pest das Eindringen des Ursprünglichen in die selbstgefällige Zivilisation da. "All die Kanäle dieser Stadt fließen nur immer wieder in sich selber zurück" legt Herzog Jonathan Harker, gespielt…

• Antonio Quintero

★★★½ Watched by Antonio Quintero 07 Feb, 2014

Klaus Kinski is already creepy in real life and he is even more creepy as a vampire. Many of the scenes are shot like silent scenes, very masterfully, were there is no dialogue. This features one of the weakest van helsing ever put on a dracula movie.

• Evan Cogswell

★★½ Watched by Evan Cogswell 19 Feb, 2014 3

Oops. I watched the English version by mistake. Most Herzog is challenging on a first viewing for me, but that was seriously compounded by the stilted, awkward dialogue between actors obviously speaking a second language. Add to that the concept of a Dracula film that wasn't even trying to be frightening, and then add to that a complete gutting of Stoker's great novel, both of which were somewhat off-putting. I realize that a vampire film does not have to be…

• Zack McGhee

★★★★½ Watched by Zack McGhee 07 Feb, 2014

Ideal viewing for the witching hour, when you can capitalize on sleep depravation to maximize its effect. Totally mesmerizing. Kinski owns the screen.

• Martin92

★★★★★ Added by Martin92

Klaus Kinski was soll man sonst sagen ;)

• No-Personality

★★½ Watched by No-Personality 11 Feb, 2014

A handful of very beautiful and evocative shots does not a movie make. Especially not when we also have absurd, inexplicable shots of a horse's ass and a pig taking a shit. I've never seen the original 1920's version of Nosferatu but I have seen 2 adaptations of Dracula. One being the Universal classic, the other being Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 remake. Based on those, most of what happened in this movie felt like it was just going over information…

• Chris Popkoff

★★★★★ Watched by Chris Popkoff 09 Feb, 2014

The rats are coming, Klaus Kinski is here.

• laird

★★★★½ Rewatched by laird 07 Feb, 2014

"Time is an abyss, profound as a thousand nights"
    "After we're gone, the rivers will still flow"

Herzog's Nosferatu opens on images of real life mummies, human figures in their deaths frozen in time. Passage of time and the inevitability of death haunt every frame of this surreal adaptation. Herzog creates a gallery's worth of potent images: Harker staring into a raging river (as many a Herzog protagonist has and will), a gypsy child playing violin in front of the…

• Timcop

★★★★★ Watched by Timcop 07 Feb, 2014

This might be the only Dracula film I've ever given the full 5 stars to, and it's all because of Herzog's masterful direction and turning the well-worn Dracula tale into a post-modern existential nightmare. That he gets some of the best performances of their careers from Kinski, Gans, and particularly Adjani (who I think steals the movie) doesn't hurt either. Some gorgeous photography and amazing locales drive the sense of dread and isolation even further into the psyche.

Looking forward to years of nightmares provided by the sculpture/mummies from the opening credits.