• matthew the sjw

★★★½ Watched by matthew the sjw 07 Apr, 2016

I watched this three weeks ago but I saved logging this because I wanted to write an epic essay about the politics of boredom, but then I got bored writing it so I gave up. This movie is good and Kinski is the bee's knees.

• Andy Patterson

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Patterson 24 Apr, 2016

Klaus Kinski... Truly frightening in this incredible role that fits him like he was born to play it. Whenever on screen, he looks like the stuff of nightmares, yet manages to make us strangely sympathetic to his cursed immortality and loneliness. Quite easily one of the very best remakes ever, for the fact Herzog updates the classic tale with sorrowful drama and contemplation.

• Valdimar Hauksson

★★½ Watched by Valdimar Hauksson 16 Apr, 2016

As a fan of Aguirre (1972) and Fitzcarraldo (1982) I was disappointed by Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979). Sure, at times it's beautiful to look at, but it felt very slow and didn't really pull me in at all. Maybe the fact that the plot is very familiar reduced my enjoyment. Klaus Kinskis portrayal of Count Dracula is a high point.

• strangebill

Watched by strangebill 13 Apr, 2016

I'm a bit torn about this. It's filled with beautiful, striking imagery, and Klaus Kinski is great as Nosferatu. I just felt like it was missing something, and at the same time I felt like I was missing something. Anyway, I don't really feel comfortable giving it a rating right now. I'll probably have to watch it again soon and see if I feel the same way.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 11 Apr, 2016

At turns surreal, tragic and oddly discordant -- this strange film might have flaws, but it is an essential work from Herzog.

• Elijah Fox

★★★★ Rewatched by Elijah Fox 10 Apr, 2016

The great Werner Herzog remakes the silent classic Nosferatu, while both follow the exact same plot there are interesting differences between them. Herzog's take is brilliant in its own way even if it does steal more then a little from the original. Klaus Kinski plays the count, but he plays him as a deeply saddened, lonely thing, a creature that lives in darkness as oppose to a monster who feeds on blood. Isabelle Adjani looks like she's daydreaming throughout, icy…

• fatpie42

★★★½ Watched by fatpie42 23 Apr, 2010

I haven’t seen the original silent movie of Nosferatu yet, but I have seen the version of Dracula starring Bella Lugosi. Herzog’s movie seemed like a distinct improvement on Lugosi’s Dracula movie, not least because of the increased depth through its link with the black death and the much more interesting ending. Klaus Kinski makes a fantastic though demented vampire and the ordinary human protagonists seem much more interesting. The only character who really doesn’t seem so good in Herzog’s…

• Malcolm

★★★★½ Watched by Malcolm 29 Mar, 2016

Klaus Kinski legitimately gave me nightmares.

Werner Herzog's take on the story of Dracula is something completely fresh. His composition and cinematography absolutely shine as the plague of Count Dracula creeps into the lives of this peaceful town and Jonathan & Lucy's love.

• Cedric B

★★★★ Watched by Cedric B 27 Mar, 2016

Herzog subverts a cultural icon and symbol of evil in Nosferatu by shining a light on his hidden humanity. This is classic Herzog, warping what we expect is the truth while maintaining a straightforward story. His patience in telling us the horrific acts perpetrated by Nosferatu is what makes a story we've all heard before refreshing again. His scenes bask in the terror, and his camera has staring contests with the remarkably scary Klaus Kinski. The skulking omnipotence of evil is ultimately overpowering as the film's theme.

• David Aitchison

★★★½ Watched by David Aitchison 12 Mar, 2016

QualityApeMan’s Ridiculous 2016 Horror Challenge!

Day 72: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 1979

Jonathan Harker, a real estate agent, is sent to Transylvania to finalise a sale with Count Dracula to buy one of the houses in his home town of Wismar. After discovering that Dracula is a vampire, Harker is imprisoned and must escape to warn everybody before it is too late.

This is almost like a merging of the Universal classic Dracula and the German film Nosferatu.

Kinski's portrayal…

• Lasse Marhaug

★★★★½ Rewatched by Lasse Marhaug 31 Mar, 2016

Herzog's Nosferatu remake is just like Franco's Female Vampire – a slow moving vampire tale that doesn't seem as concerned with suspense rather than putting you into dreamlike state when watching it. I don't think I've sat through either film without falling asleep, I never remember how either of them ends, and it's perfect.

• Craig Hart

★★★½ Added by Craig Hart

I’m a sucker (no pun intended) for a Herzog/Kinski collaboration and I suppose any director worth his salt would want to give any of the great horror franchises a whirl (and historically, the Dracula films fare better than any of the others). Performed by European actors for whom English was their second language (some obviously learned their lines phonetically without understanding what they were saying), there are several deviations from the original story here. Jonathan Harker (Bruno Ganz) is sent…