• Jonathan Storey

★★½ Watched by Jonathan Storey 27 Nov, 2016

This is fine, but I just don't think me and Dracula get along. I find the whole thing ridiculous, as opposed to scary/erotic. Couldn't finish The Historians for similar reasons.

• Paul Stumpf

★★★★½ Rewatched by Paul Stumpf 13 Nov, 2016

A superb remake of the silent classic. Kinski portrays the vampire with distinctive creepiness, suffusing the character with a unusual touch of melancholy at having lived so long. Beautifully filmed, and with a twist ending of true horror.

• Charles G

★★★★ Added by Charles G

One of the most best opening shots I've seen. The movie kept impressing with its stunning cinematography and genuinely unsettling scenes. The second half of the movie we're switching protagonists, which was interesting in a way, as we we're starting to view everything from Lucy's perspective. The dark atmosphere remains throughout the movie but I really enjoyed the early scenes inside Count Dracula's castle. Nosferatu The Vampyre reminded me how awesome our pale, bloodthirsty friends really are and why I only kept dressing up as Dracula as a little kid on Halloween and Carnival/Carnival.

• Joshua Fraser

★★★★½ Watched by Joshua Fraser 16 Nov, 2016

We should let Werner Herzog remake all movies and see what happens

• Austin Vashaw

★★★½ Watched by Austin Vashaw 20 Oct, 2016

Herzog expands upon the familiar tale in some interesting ways – whereas a plague is described in the original Nosferatu’s title cards, his remake shows this in detail: an infestation of Translyvanian rats, coffins in the town square, and eventually the complete dissolution of municipal government and public works. And Nosferatu himself, the Count is really quite a different sort of character than we’ve seen before, a sad and lonely ghoul who has withered but not died. But perhaps the…

• heyitskyle

Added by Dakota Dutrow

Recommended

• Chris House

★★★★½ Added by Chris House

This is equally the creepiest Dracula movie and the most peculiar. While I appreciate Herzog's patience in showing us beautiful scenery, there are a handful of scenes that overstay their welcome. But despite that qualm, the movie really is pretty great. It has the hugely talented Klaus Kinski in a truly amazing role, and he brings a level of horror and tragedy to Dracula that no actor has come close to. Herzog's moody lighting heighten and illuminate his grotesqueness quite effectively.

• Nolden

★★ Watched by Nolden 03 Nov, 2016

I finally watched the original 1922 Nosferatu by F. W. Murnau just a few weeks back. Having seen that, I looked forward to Herzog's interpretation, due to me enjoying some of his earlier work like Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre, Wrath of God a great deal. Sadly, Nosferatu the Vampyre is not a reimagining of the source material or an homage, as some might call it. No, it is a blatant copy of the original.

Interested in Herzog's version of Bram Stoker's…

• Lee Russell

★★★★★ Added by Lee Russell

An estate agent from Wismar, Germany, called Jonathon Harker (Bruno Ganz) is charged with selling a property in Wismar to a Transylvanian nobleman called Count Dracula. He's sent there on orders from his boss, Renfield (Roland Topor) and goes on the long four-week trip there, despite the protests of his beautiful young wife Lucy (Isabelle Adjani), whom has been having dreams full of bad omens that may potentially befall them both. When he arrives in Transylvania, Harker is warned by…

• Matt

★★★ Watched by Matt 30 Oct, 2016

31 Days Of Spook-tober: Day 30

File under: Underwhelming Herzog films.

Herzog's trademark use of meditative pacing and incorporation of breathtaking visuals only succeeds half of the time amidst its laboriously dawdling narrative and mostly dreadful performances. It certainly expands upon the Nosferatu story, but somehow also fails to do it much justice. It's safe to say this definitely isn't one of my favorites of his.