• Willy Evans

★★★ Watched by Willy Evans 22 Sep, 2014

An interesting concept that is messily executed. Played fast and loose with the narrative at times, which would have been okay, if it had excelled at anything else.

• Sasha James

★★★★ Watched by Sasha James 22 Sep, 2014

Incest! Hammers!

• Travis Lytle

★★★★ Watched by Travis Lytle 19 Sep, 2014 5

Asking what is worse, the prison or being released from it, Chan-wook Park's "Oldboy" is an operatic, ironic, grotesque, and Machiavellian revenge epic. Mesmerizingly twisted, the film is a skillfully told and masterfully constructed piece of cinematic nihilism.

Thought the twists and turns of its narrative are best left unspoiled, "Oldboy" revolves around a man who, after spending 15 years in a mysterious prison of a room, is released to seek out who put him there and why. As the…

• Nathan Lambert

★★★★½ Added by Nathan Lambert

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• harrydcjackson

★★★★★ Watched by harrydcjackson 16 Sep, 2014

마지막 세 소년을 보았다!!!

• Fede

★★★★★ Added by Fede

Oldboy is everything you could ask for in a movie, and maybe something more.

• funsohng

Added by funsohng

A brilliant psychological thriller that is gritty enough to be entertaining, while the twist at the end is so incredibly constructed that it won't leave your mind for a long time.

• Matt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matt 14 Sep, 2014

If you've ever felt personally victimized by Spike Lee's tripe take of this masterpiece, the original is always here to (re-)soothe your soul.

• ichiji

★★★★★ Added by ichiji

Instant classic with a breathtaking plot, a beautiful soundtrack and cinematography.

• Zak Galna

★★★★★ Added by Zak Galna

A twisted tale that keeps the viewer guessing from start to finish. A favourite of mine.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 23 Dec, 2010

Despite all the raving this movie usually gets, my expectations weren't very high. So, I'm not technically disappointed, but I am really confused about what I saw. I think I liked more or less the first 15 or 20 minutes since the premise was captivating initially, but soon afterwards it lost absolute credibility.

It was seriously overstuffed and heavy-handedly made, and its somewhat self-aggrandizing tone was simply despicable. Had it aimed at being nothing more than mindless entertainment, it would…

• VenusianFryCook

★★★½ Added by VenusianFryCook

It looks great and, as far as I can tell, its well-acted. The plot is a bit hit or miss, although its possible that it didn't quite cross culturally, leaving me unsure of how seriously to take it. The villain's plan, along with the means of executing it, is absurd to the point where most James Bond villains would call bullshit. Its like something the Joker would come up with after a three day bender. Am I supposed to be horrified at the depths of his depravity, or laughing at the hypnotism malarkey?

That hallway fight is one hell of a scene, though.