• luneix

★★★★ Watched by luneix 29 Jul, 2015

in terms of movie-making this was great, in terms of story this is so fucked up

• mentazm

★★★★ Watched by mentazm 28 Jul, 2015

I don't know why it took so long for me to watch this. Probably because I heard the octopus bit was really gross, so I expected the rest of the film to be really full on. It wasn't though.

A thing I noticed in this and the raid is just how slowly those big 1 v loads fights are. Guys obviously pulling punches or swinging really slowly or waiting on their turn to pile in.

• Josh Darby

★★★★½ Rewatched by Josh Darby 29 Jul, 2015

Film #27 of the "Scavenger Hunt #4" Challenge!
    Task #15. A film so gross you think barf bags should be required!
    My list: letterboxd.com/darbyact/list/joshs-film-scavenger-hunt-list-4/
    Original List: letterboxd.com/naughty/list/scavenger-hunt-4

NOT A FAMILY FRIENDLY FILM... NOT BY A LONG SHOT
    Oldboy is a hard film to watch, the emotional and psychical journey that Dea-su (Choi Min-sik) takes is draining at best and disturbing at the worst. While South Korean director Park Chan-wook knocks it out of the park (no pun intended) with the…

• alexbhades

★★★★ Watched by alexbhades 07 Nov, 2012

Aunque no comulgue con el cine oriental he de reconocer que esta es una gran pelicula, aunque demasiado enrevesada, me cuesta de digerir.

• Aron Steinn

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aron Steinn 20 Jul, 2015

With it's many hints, Oldboy is one of those films that are impossible to fore-see. It's such a carmel with many layers. You peal each and every one off, step by step, to your surprise there is no carmel... only a rock. you suck it up though and eat it because you have to and strangely you...

love it!

• Kyle Hoover

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Hoover 11 Jul, 2015

This movie hurts my soul. I had to watch a comedy afterwards just to feel good about humanity again. That being said, it is a great movie, but be warned, it will stay with you for a long time.

• Audiences Everywhere

★★★★★ Added by Audiences Everywhere

"Oldboy is a Korean film masterpiece, its influence and notoriety far reaching. The film is Park Chan-Wook’s showcase; a tragic and deeply disturbing thriller that will leave viewers with a heavy, immense emotional burden."

Read J.S. Shreve's full review here.

• Dai Tran

★★★★ Rewatched by Dai Tran 17 Jul, 2015

Almost people said that Oldboy is the best Korean movie. But in my opinion, Memories of Murders (2003) is my first choice.

• JustAraven

★★★★½ Added by JustAraven

The best revenge film in existence, almost a defining point for all revenge plots to come.

• Thomas Lewry

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thomas Lewry 16 Jul, 2015 2

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Motherfuckin' Oldboy!

It's Sadistic, ultraviolet, bloody, grotesque, fucked up, disturbing, octopussy, toothy, hammery, toungey, fucked up again, mysterious, surreal, frightening, octopus, haunting, unforgettable.

And those adjectives don't even scratch the surface of what Chan wook-Park's bizarre odyssey is all about. 'Oldboy' is a masterful symphony of the relentless pursuit for vengeance.

• Glen MacDonald

★★★★½ Watched by Glen MacDonald 11 Jul, 2015

Oldboy is not a film I would usually like.

For one, it's Korean. Not that I have anything against Korean films, but I know nothing about them. I believe it is hard to go into a country's revered movies without having some sort of context. However, Oldboy is a great introduction to Korean cinema. Every shot is so stylized, almost as if the director took hours to perfect it.

Another reason, I wouldn't usually like Oldboy is because of the…

• Blake Hall

★★★★½ Added by Blake Hall

It took a couple viewing for this to grow on me but it's now one of my favorites. The final act haunts me to the core. I need to watch more Korean cinema