• Jonny Moore

★★★★ Rewatched by Jonny Moore 19 Nov, 2012

Number 64

I had seen Oldboy before but I must have been drunk because there were big chunks I didn't remember and I enjoyed it a lot more on repeat viewing. It is the 7th highest ranked foreign language film on this list and highest ranked from the noughties which isn't bad when you consider films like The Lives of Others, Downfall and Pan's Labyrinth didn't make the 100. It is the story of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik) is imprisoned…

• hannah

★★★★ Watched by hannah 11 Oct, 2015

• inri222

★★ Watched by inri222 06 Oct, 2015

A man who was imprisoned for 15 years seeks revenge on those responsible for his captivity. Overrated, ridiculous and very full of itself. No wonder Quentin Tarantino loves it.

• Ian Osmond

★★★½ Watched by Ian Osmond 06 Oct, 2015

Hmm, tough film to process. Its certainly compelling, that's for sure. As a mystery it works very well. But I find myself juxtaposing the strength in the storytelling with the film's darker nature, which can be quite a turn off. That octopus scene for example is one of the grossest things I've ever seen on film. Ugh, that was disturbing.

So am I just becoming more prudish as I get older? Perhaps. So then I ask myself, did I enjoy the film? Was I captivated by it? And for the most part, yes I was. That ending came very close to losing me though.

• truesouls

★★★★★ Watched by truesouls 07 Oct, 2015

why the fuck did I watch the remake before I watched this and why has it taken me this long to watch it??? I hAVE COMMITTED AN UNFORGIVABLE SIN

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½ Watched by Njabs Phungula 03 Oct, 2015

Oldboy is easily one of the most difficult-to-watch films that I've seen. I say this because of the events that are depicted in the film not because it is in any way inaccessible. I've seen my share of movies about truly despicable human beings but once again, this one is up there. As it's somewhat of a revenge flick, violence is to be expected but the film doesn't lean too much on that side. Park Chan-wook leads us on an…

• LuccaWestphal

★★★★★ Watched by LuccaWestphal 03 Oct, 2015

• Piccolo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Piccolo 04 Oct, 2015

Still one of the best films i ever saw

• Matthew Gorman

★★★★★ Watched by Matthew Gorman 03 Oct, 2015

When Oh Dae-Su is kidnapped and released after 15 years, it is his mission to find out who imprisoned him in the first place. Highly recommended.

• Ed Küpfer

★★½ Watched by Ed Küpfer 02 Oct, 2015

Enjoyment: 5/10
    Quality: 8/10

Ponderous and stylish revenge fantasy. The film becomes increasingly untethered to reality as the story progresses, until, when the twist revelation is made at the end, I was disconnected from the story's emotional core. I recognise that the film's strengths do not appeal to me the way they should, the way they would to more discerning filmgoers. The fantasy elements and the pacing particularly. It's hard for me to be objective about a movie like this, so all I can say is, it's not for me.

• loopdloop