• FinnaEbrithil

★★★★★ Rewatched by FinnaEbrithil 20 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Heljar Wilhelmsen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Heljar Wilhelmsen 20 Aug, 2014 3

After the 4th viewing of director Park Chan-wook's magnum opus 'Oldboy', I finally feel comfortable accepting this as my favorite film of all time. The intricately weaven story of Oh Dae-su's search for the whereabouts of the man who kidnapped and imprisoned him for 15 years, and the answers to why, is a mysterious journey full of twists and turns that utilize the audiovisual medium of cinema to the fullest.

With a brooding, depressive soundtrack and the streets of Seoul…

• Aracno

★★★★½ Watched by Aracno 18 Aug, 2014 3

“If you stand aimlessly at a phone booth on a rainy day, and meet a man whose face is covered by a violet umbrella, I'd suggest that you get close to the TV.”

Oldboy is an astoundingly powerful and masterfully stylized masterpiece.

The film tells the story of Oh Dae-su, a businessman who is locked in a hotel room for 15 years without knowing his captor's motives. When he's finally released from his torturous imprisonment, he finds himself trapped in…

• SJHoneywell

★★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

There's something genius
    In this weird, disturbing film.
    Like? No. Respect? Yep.

• mangum_pi

★★★★½ Watched by mangum_pi 18 Aug, 2014

that was a wild ride

• Garrett Irwin

★★★★½ Added by Garrett Irwin

One of the great, essential thrillers of out time, Oldboy successfully performs the task of making us connect with its tortured protagonist before diving deep into the seas of fire and madness, with a credible twist along the way. The way our hero transforms is the backbone of the film, giving it a sturdy, beating heart. The film borrows intelligently from the likes of Fincher and Nolan, and blends them with director Chan-wook Park's trademark surprises to create a package that totally satisfies its viewers.

• killapede

Added by killapede

this is an okay movie but is obviously better than the remake, really there's no need to watch the remake just watch this one

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 16 Aug, 2014

1500 - Well that was a dark movie. When I get to 2000 I'm going to make sure that is a happy film

• Harry Cavell

★★★★★ Added by Harry Cavell

Holy shit. Just... holy fucking shit.

My mind is blown by this absolute masterpiece.

• invalidpeer

★★★★½ Rewatched by invalidpeer 31 Jul, 2014

Oldboy is an excellent film in so many ways. The story is definitely something you haven't seen before and keeps you hooked throughout. Even after seeing this film several times and knowing exactly how the mystery plays out, I find myself just as engaged as the first time I watched it.

The performance by Min-sik Choi here really is legendary. He's a great actor aside from this film, but I feel like Oldboy would not have been nearly as effective…

• Barnaby Walter

★★ Watched by Barnaby Walter 07 Aug, 2014

A preposterous thriller. Frequently incoherent and unjustifiably nasty, this is just extreme violence for the sake of extreme violence. It has an interesting visual sensibility, but even that becomes a bit of a headache. Park Chan-wook at his worst.

A note on the viewing: HD. 2K. BD.

• Lewis Taplin

★★★ Watched by Lewis Taplin 07 Aug, 2014

Without a doubt, the plot stimulated intrigue and built to an almighty twist. But the film seemed to stress violence that was supported by melodramatic events with little plausibility, resulting in the effect the film wanted to have falling flat, tugging on emotions that had minimal credibility.