• OrochiLeona

★★★ Watched by OrochiLeona 01 Jul, 2014

Fine documentary, that does what it sets out to do without too much pomp or fanfare.

Covering the events of the 1972 Munich Massacre, where Palestinian nationalists held a doomed siege at the Olympic Games, One Day in September gives a detailed account of the tragic events that led to the deaths of 17 people.

Narrated by the grim tone of Michael Douglas, One Day tells the story of the days events in chronological fashion, with insights provided by the…

• LCN

★★★ Watched by LCN 28 Mar, 2014

"When I was a kid, my father used to say: our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realised. Our worst fears have been realised tonight!"

• LCN

★★★ Added by LCN

• inri222

★★★★ Watched by inri222 07 Mar, 2014

Documentary about the kidnapping of 11 Israeli athletes by Palestinian sympathizers at the 1972 Munich Olympics. The film documents the events through actual footage, interviews with family members, authorities & the only surviving member of the kidnappers. It also exposes the blunders committed by the German authorities and how they contributed to the horrific outcome of the situation.

• HotDonkeyBear

★★★★ Watched by HotDonkeyBear 17 Dec, 2013

Or... "How the German authorities managed to fuck up a rescue attempt and seal the fate of 11 Israeli athletes".

A very well researched and constructed documentary that analyses the disgusting turn of events that led to the murder of the 11 Olympic athletes in 1972. Desperate and utterly fanatical Palestinian terrorists up against a totally inept German government, police force and olympic authority caused one of the most hideous atrocities in the last 5o years.

The images of the…

• cinemagazine

★★★½ Added by cinemagazine

"Cruciale momenten uit de 21 uur durende gijzeling blaast Macdonald nieuw leven in door er spectaculaire reconstructies van te maken. Hij stuwt de spanning nog wat verder op door er suggestieve muziek onder te monteren, vandaar dat je soms het idee hebt naar een thriller te kijken en niet naar een documentaire."

• MarkSJAuger

★★★★ Added by MarkSJAuger

Gripping film about Black September hostage crisis at the 1972 Munich games. Plays like a thriller, which at times feels inconsiderate. A montage of dead bodies at the end to rock music is in poor taste. This would be a great companion film to Munich.

• loureviews

★★★½ Added by loureviews

This bleak documentary on the massacre of the Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics pulls no punches in its depiction of what really did happen. It starts with Anki Spitzer's widow in voiceover recalling her memories of their all-too-brief marriage, before the events of that fateful day unfolds. It seems that these athletes really were political pawns in a global game of chess that ended badly.

Be warned, the documentary doesn't shrink from depicting the aftermath of the last few…

• Bobby Hill

★★★½ Watched by Bobby Hill 01 May, 2013

Powerful stuff, if a little melodramatic.

Although all focus and sympathy centres on the hostages, (as it should), I would have liked more background information on what caused the Palestinians to go to these extreme in the first place.

I guess that's what Wikipedia is for.

• Phil Doyle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Phil Doyle 21 Apr, 2013

A superb documentary, well deserving of it's Oscar. A superb soundtrack as well.

• Patrick Connolly

★★★½ Rewatched by Patrick Connolly 08 Mar, 2013

Documentary about the hostage crisis during the 1972 Munich Olympics, where a number of Israeli athletes are taken hostage by the fanatical Palestinian liberation group, Black September. The film does a good job of introducing the various actors of the drama and describing their actions, but it occasionally attempts to be a bit too 'cool' and 'edgy'. The use of of psychedelic rock music from the period as an accompaniment to some pretty harrowing imagery, for example, kind of struck the wrong tone for me. Nonetheless, a fine retelling of an important story.

• Rick Burin

★★★ Watched by Rick Burin 19 Oct, 2012

MacDonald’s Oscar-winning – and career-making – documentary tells the story of the group of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics taken hostage by Palestinian revolutionaries. It’s extraordinarily well-researched, securing an interview with the only surviving terrorist, forensically dismantling the Germans’ atrocious handling of the hostage situation and unearthing some remarkable new information, which should really be given greater prominence. But it isn’t particularly well put-together: it spends more time dealing with Nazism than the complexities of Israeli-Palestinian relations, places…