• Sheryl

    ★★★½ Watched by Sheryl 22 May, 2015

    that rickshaw chase scene sustains my action movie needs very well

    View

  • NeutronPong

    ★★★ Watched by NeutronPong 09 Jan, 2012

    Long overdue. The fight scenes were nuts but the chase scenes were even moreso! I've never seen so many flying knees before!

    View

  • Isaac McKeithen

    ★★½ Watched by Isaac McKeithen 15 May, 2015

    This would have been better served as a compilation on YouTube. Could have picked out the best fights and chases and cut out things like the "story" and the taxi sequence, to name a couple of things that really didn't work.

    View

  • Valtteri Lepistö

    ★★★★½ Watched by Valtteri Lepistö 13 May, 2015

    Hell, how did they do that? And that! Thai action cinema, where have you been all my life? Tony Jaa gives one of the best ass-kickings in modern share of action cinema. One of the things that I truly love about Asian action cinema in which the protagonist usually masters Eastern martial arts is that they so clearly put manly emanation as one of the main themes. Whereas Eastern martial arts usually have much more calm and deliberate style, Western…

    View

  • ERafferty

    ★★★½ Watched by ERafferty 23 Mar, 2015

    On the surface, Ong-Bak has a very simplistic plot and guess what? You’d be right, as the film spends about 20% focusing on the narrative of the stolen statue, whilst the other 80% is focused on hard-hitting fight choreography and stunt-work, primarily that involves Tony Jaa as Ting. So depending on what kind of film viewer you are, this will mean you’ll either stay away from it due to the main plot being ‘minimal’ or, like me, you’ll just enjoy…

    View

  • brennsto

    ★★★½ Rewatched by brennsto 25 Apr, 2015 1

    I have a soft spot for action movies where the space-in-between-action is filled with straight forward interpersonal drama, rather than pointless exposition. This, along with the (duh) spectacular and unique choreography, make for a movie that is far more entertaining than 99% of action movies from the 2000s.

    As a side note, my friend and I are completely blanking as to how we saw this in 2003. We downloaded it off the internet before it had a US theatrical release,…

    View

  • Trevor

    ★★★★ Added by Trevor

    It's a good action movie flick.The fight scenes were superb -- there's a couple types of martial artists on display here, and all of the match ups presented were interesting. I enjoy how well the film manages to put the main character against absolutely hopeless odds. I found myself constantly interested to see how he would get out of certain situations, which kept me interested and watching.

    The film took a while to get into a satisfying rhythm. They spent…

    View

  • siutou_amy

    ★★★★ Rewatched by siutou_amy 09 Apr, 2015

    Re-watched this in years. Story becomes a little tired, but fights hold up quite well. Extra half for it.

    View

  • Blaine McGaffigan

    ★★★ Rewatched by Blaine McGaffigan 03 Apr, 2015

    Let's face it, this movie is not good, but Tony Jaa's debut is just so damn enjoyable to watch. The fight scenes and acrobatics are incredible. Muay Thai is a really exciting martial arts style to be brought to kung-fu movies.

    This film gives such a candid peak into Thai lifestyle. Although the story is very amateur, I enjoy seeing the contrast between rural and city Thai culture.

    View

  • Chris

    ★★★★ Rewatched by Chris 12 Mar, 2015

    I think this could have been about 30% shorter if they hadn't repeated some of the action beats so many times. I think this was made by someone who thought National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 was a serious film.
    Even though I've seen this a few times before I'm still surprised at how good Tony Jaa is. Despite the slightly amateur look and annoying acting it's still an impressive film. I shall be watching Ong Bak 2 and 3 very shortly.

    View

  • sfkb

    ★★★½ Watched by sfkb 28 Mar, 2015

    (Besson-Cut)

    View

  • Trash Cinema

    ★★★½ Watched by Trash Cinema 16 Mar, 2015

    Its just a nice festival of kickboxing and slapping where the bad guys are just like charachters in a video game and we just wanna see them dying and destroyed and our actor doing what he does best no talk and a lot of kicks

    View