• cronic

★★★★ Added by cronic

8/10

• Sean Kelly

★★★½ Watched by Sean Kelly 24 Jul, 2014

Pretty impressive fight scenes elevate what is a somewhat weak and generic plot. Ong Bak really seems like little more than an excuse for Tony Jaa to demonstrate his Muay Thai skills, with the plot just being a way to tie the fights together.

While this argument can probably be made for most martial arts films, it is really stretching believability when there's a scene where obstacles are conveniently placed in the middle of a chase, just so Jaa can do some crazy stunts. Also, the film makes sure you notice the big moves by the use of instant replays.

Still, the film was OK enough.

• Lars Sieval

★★★½ Watched by Lars Sieval 17 Jul, 2014

Tony Yaa made sure I was entertained by this one. Offcourse he did it with his athletic ability, which is just epic. The flips and turns are nice to look at. Especially in that chase scene through the streets. The story is simple and won't be the reason why you should watch this. If you are going to watch this then it's for the fight scenes and Tony Yaa.

• syxxpac

★★★½ Added by syxxpac

Muay Thai master Tony Jaa choreographs and acts out some of the best martial arts fights I've ever seen on screen, certainly the best brand of blazing fisticuffs since Jackie Chan Fever swept the Western moviegoing world in the '90's. This bad boy should and DOES stand tall and proud with other such luminaries of the genre as Bruce Lee and the Shaw Bros. series of martial arts epics like One-Armed Boxer. There are so many "Whoa" moments of amazing…

• Emilio J. Barrero

★★★★ Added by Emilio J. Barrero

Una soberbia exhibición de artes marciales (Muay Thai en este caso). Es un filme que llega a dejar con la boca abierta (con un aire a Bruce Lee) y las escenas de acción, gracias a las repeticiones, adquieren una mayor pureza y emoción. No esperaba menos del cine tailandés.

• Paul Robinson

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Robinson 23 Jun, 2014 1

I watched The Raid again for the umpteenth time yesterday and it always impresses, it also got my taste buds tingling for a dose of highly skilled choreography and fighting... Particularly people getting elbowed in the head so hard their skulls cave in.... hmmm... A great reason to dust off Ong-Bak and let Tony Jaa do the talking, well... less of the talking preferably as he sounds like a 10 year old boy and the script was penned / crayoned…

• Helen Cummins

★★★★★ Watched by Helen Cummins 23 Jun, 2014

Christ on a bike. This film is phenomenal.

Fighting like I've never seen before. Such skill and agility - I can't believe it.

A simple story of taking back what belongs to him and his village, Ting gracefully uses his talent of fighting to brilliant effect.

Stunning.

• alphonse

★★★½ Rewatched by alphonse 05 Jun, 2014

A small village in the interior of the country is in great danger after their great protector, the sacred Buddha statue Ong-Bak is stolen. With full determination and courage, a young warrior (played by Tony Jaa) is called to retrieve the statue and to rid their village of a terrible curse. Ong Bak is devoted to explore how good Tony Jaa is doing what he does. Many people call him "the new Bruce Lee", and even though Tony Jaa is…

• crisscrass

★★★ Added by crisscrass

I remember seeing it when it was just released, and I remember the rish I got from some of the longer action sequences and skull cracking moves. So much that the acting skills and thin plotline didn't bother me at all. That's what a good action movie does for me I guess. Unfortunatley the follow up stuff that came out since has not brought me the same surprising element and brings nothing new to the table.

• David Pearce

★★½ Watched by David Pearce 28 May, 2014

30 Countries Challenge 2014: Stop 27, Thailand

"If we can't recover the Ong-Bak's head our village is doomed!"

I can't help but be underwhelmed by Ong-Bak. Being hailed as a modern classic of martial art films and giving a great deal of exposure to Thai cinema, not only was this the most important film of now internationally famous director Prachya Pinkaew's career but arguably it's the most celebrated film released by the country in the past two decades. Unfortunately I…

• acidpolice

★★★½ Added by acidpolice

It's got a heart underneath the tepid pseudo-hip-hop soundtrack and overly slick, MTV look of it all. Very likeable despite itself.

• Daryl Purdie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daryl Purdie 14 May, 2014

#Filmreview Ong Bak ★★★★★ Martial arts classic with some extreme skill on display backed by a pretty hip sound track. Watch those #Elbows