• silenttom

★★★★ Watched by silenttom 03 Jan, 2012

Damn hilarious parody of Sean Connery era Bond. Director Michael Hazanavicius seamlessly gives the film its visual spy films of the 60s, with clever use of era appropriate rear projection and simplistic cinematography. The script does occasionally get muddled with its convoluted plot, but the jokes hit at such a consistent pace that it does more than enough to distract. Much of the humor comes from the egotistical sexism and supposed charm, which is carried well throughout by Jean Dujardin,…

• Bryan Colley

Added by Bryan Colley

You can count the great French comedies on one hand - and after Jacques Tati you're left with a thumb. Somebody please prove me wrong. If the Zucker-Zucker-Abrahams team made a James Bond spoof in French and did a really poor job of it, you'd have OSS 117. Maybe something's lost in the translation, but it sure isn't funny. Jean Dujardin mugs the camera even more than Leslie Nielsen, if that's possible.

• Fsjallink

Direction: 8/10
    Pacing/Editing: 8/10

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Gaertner 03 Mar, 2015

Hazanavicius/ Dujardin/ Bejo = Crazy Delicious.

• Sean Wu

★★½ Watched by Sean Wu 21 Feb, 2015

Much like 'Dredd', this isn't my type of film. Academy Award winner Hazanavicus' homage to silent cinema, 'The Artist', is incredible, but his spoof of the spy genre isn't.

Stupid music and stupid gags drive a plot I barely cared for. That's the negatives for this film, and they are prevalent. However, lead Jean Dujardin and OSS girl Berenice Bejo prove their chemistry again in this. They're the only reason this film is getting the score that it gets.

I'm glad Hazanavicus left the spoof genre (but apparently 'The Search' isn't the bees knees).

• Tom Morton

★★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 03 Feb, 2015

Uneven but charming. Jean Dujardin is extremely good at physical comedy and they nail the style of classic spy movies (well, Bond movies, really), but the jokes were a little hit-and-miss for me - possibly some of them don't work as well translated. The key thing for films like this is fun, though, and you can tell everyone involved had a great time on this one. The flashbacks to the lead character happily playing swingball on the beach and laughing with his dead best friend are amazing.

• Luke McGowan

★★ Added by Luke McGowan

Nest of Spies spends most of its time coasting on Jean Dujardin's considerable charm and charisma, but overall the film is a convoluted and often boring product.

• GenkiB

★★★ Watched by GenkiB 12 Jan, 2015

The tone of the movie and the casting are perfect. It's a pretty lighthearted affair but good for a few laughs. I'm not sure how big a star Jean Dujardin is in certain parts of the world but he's got such a great classic Hollywood look... I'd like to see him in more stuff.

• Clarisse Loughrey

Added by Clarisse Loughrey

I can't recommend this movie enough. I want to just grab people in the street and scream "HAVE YOU SEEN OSS 117???"

• Jye Briscoe

★★★½ Watched by Jye Briscoe 01 Jan, 2015

This was a really fun French spy comedy, with absolutely great comedic acting from Jean Dujardin.

This plays as an excellent send up of older James Bond films, particularly Sean Connerys, and reminded me a lot of the style of comedy in Johnny English which I also loved.

I look forward to watching the sequel in the near future.

• Parker Jackson

★★★★ Watched by Parker Jackson 17 Dec, 2014

An absolutely hilarious and clever James Bond parody that clearly knows what it is and doesn't try to hide it. It also has surprisingly good fight scenes and a fantastic performance from Jean Dujardin. It perfectly captures the cheesy moments of the old Bond films (bad puns, bad green screen, over the top punch sounds, James Bond always being tied up, etc.) and had me laughing at almost every scene. Considering I had no idea what this movie would be,…

• Matt Wooldridge

★★★ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 15 Jun, 2007

Very amusing spoof on the spy movies of the 60s, notably DR. NO. This is a French production, so there's subtitles, but anyone who enjoys a film that pokes fun at conventions will need go no further than this film ... which actually has a plot unlike a lot of satirical films. The lead is simply perfect as the virile hero, a mix of Austin Powers, James Bond and Inspector Clouseau.