• Nick Sutera

★★★ Watched by Nick Sutera 13 Jul, 2014

The talky parts were pretty boring. The action parts were above average. The final climax scene was impressive.

The cinematography was solid. Clint Eastwood made good use of his beautiful locale, but the low budget prevents it from being any better than just depicting pretty scenery.

The romance subplots were unnecssary.

It was alright overall.

• Cody Lang

★★★½ Watched by Cody Lang 12 Jul, 2014

Preacher kicks capitalist butt. Long live the small business owner.

• JC13

★★★½ Watched by JC13 05 Jun, 2014

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death . . . and Hell followed with him."- Megan Wheeler (reading from the bible)

Pale Rider is a solid Western from Clint Eastwood, but not near his best. He is great as always and the rest of the cast does a fine job as well, but some scenes just seem pointless. During those particular scenes the film feels like it just slows down and becomes far less interesting. The ending is fantastic though. I'm sure it will be better on rewatch though. 7.5/10

• Ben Lott

★★★★ Watched by Ben Lott 25 Jun, 2014

There was a time in my life when I thought I hated Western movies, now I'm starting to think I just watched the wrong ones. To be totally honest, I think this is the first Clint Eastwood Western I've every watched. It is about a group of gold prospectors who are working a small plot of land while being terrorized by a larger corporation that wants to steal their claim. Then a stranger rides into town and helps fight back.…

• theNomad

★★★★ Rewatched by theNomad 30 Jun, 2014

“And behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death.” - Megan (Sydney Penny) [from the Book of Revelation]

..:: Machismovision: Wow The West Was Fun - Film #8 ::..
    After her gold prospecting parents camp gets ravaged, and her dogs slain. A teenager sits at the pets grave and begs for a miracle... in rides our dark hero a Preacher on a pale horse. Because the McGills are running good hard working Christian folks out…

• Gregory Sahadachny

★★★★ Rewatched by Gregory Sahadachny 24 Jun, 2014

Beautifully shot. Although it's paint-by-numbers, I enjoy it. Delivers on the cliches and action it should.

• Podcasting's Brock

★★★★ Watched by Podcasting's Brock 31 May, 2014

Many shades of Shane here, and of course High Noon at the climax.

Once he revealed himself as a preacher I was hooked. What a great reveal that was.

Found the music a little too bombastic at times, but I liked it nonetheless.

All the elements work. An enjoyable watch.

Recommend

• Megan H

★★★ Watched by Megan H 24 Mar, 2014

Clint Eastwood is an odd silent, stoic preacher who is here to save the land and miners in "Pale Rider." The film seems kind of confused about whether it wants to be a western or a spoof of a western, leaving me feeling confused along with it.

• FredM

★★½ Watched by FredM 14 Mar, 2014

Initially, this movie breathes a sense of urgency: the raging horsemen, displayed in the cinematographical beauty of the west, alternated with the peaceful golddigging community.
    After their intense getting together, with some unclear camera movements, things become less urgent and compelling, and too caricatural.
    The invulnerable hero arrives, leaves, and returns to save the day.
    Near the end, the throwing of the dynamite seemed out of Clint's character, and this led to an almost cringeworthy, another one bites the dust, climax.
    Sorry, I didn't see the real merits here, but uhm, hey Clint, can I have your coat please?

• Peter Schubert

★★★ Watched by Peter Schubert 09 Mar, 2014 1

Film 1 of the Mystery March Challenge 2014

Clint Eastwood's 1985 neo-western Pale Rider is a really strange beast. I certainly did not expect it to be as weird as it turned out to be when I got it assigned for this year's Mystery March Challenge, but it was and here we are.
    Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of liked this story of a strange preacher who protects innocent miners from a greedy prospector, but the emphasis has…

• The Invisible Man

★★★½ Watched by The Invisible Man 26 Feb, 2014

The opening of PALE RIDER is great, setting the tone for what's too come. Eastwood juxtapositions between a small mining town digging and picking through rocks and sand looking for the littlest scrap of gold, too a group of riders galloping down hills and mountain sides. Where are they going? Well, it turns out they're bandits and they begin to raid the small mining town, killing cattle and dogs and destroying the families homes and supplies. Hull Barret rides to…

• Craig Dawson

★★★ Watched by Craig Dawson 10 Feb, 2014

A mysterious preacher protects a humble prospector village from a greedy mining company trying to encroach on their land.

It's been over 2 and a half weeks since I saw this and a lot of the details have faded so will keep this short. I enjoyed Pale Rider enough without being blown away, I'm not that well versed in the Western genre but even I could tell a lot of the film follows genre conventions that have been done before.…