• Jenna Ipcar

I don't know. More overly sentimental BS from Clint Eastwood. He rides into town, he's a badass, everybody loves him, nobody else has any personality, 15 year old girl make out scene, bad guys do a bad thing, he kills everybody, exit stage right. Felt like every other one of his movies sadly. Though I did like how there was no explanation at the end.

• Tyler L. Young

★★★★

Describing 'Pale Rider' as 'Shane' meets 'High Plains Drifter' isn't the most original laconic description, but it's accurate. Not only that, but it's superior to both pictures. Not every subplot is the best, and it doesn't stray too far from the Eastwood formula (there's TWO side-kick savior shots), but this is a damn fine Western.

• HannibalChew

★★★

[35mm]

Plot-wise, not the most remarkable, but Clint is obviously playing around with Leone-like scenery shots and the blocking of Stockburn and his six deputies. Felt great watching wide, layered compositions on the big screen, even if the print wasn't completely pristine. MVP Carrie Snodgress.

Clint Eastwood Ranked

• Daniel Ohlander

★★½

This film was certainly pale...

• Not Pauline Kael

Clint Eastwood's art Western, shot in art color--shades of dirt, with gray, brown, and black trimmings, and interiors so dark you can barely see who's onscreen in the middle of the day. Eastwood himself, a ghost who materializes as the answer to a 14-year-old girl's prayer for a miracle, seems to be playing some spectral combination of Death, Jesus, Billy Jack, and the Terminator. Set in the California Sierras during the gold-rush era before the Civil War, the movie is…

• Brandon Curtis

★★★★

I've always admired Michael Moriarty's brand of do-gooderism (his stint on Law and Order as Executive ADA is my favorite) where he appeals first and foremost with thoughtfulness before resorting to anything more. Though when he does it's the culmination of a satisfying arc from a man of appeasement to a man who dictates terms because he deserves the peace they'll give him. This is the best non-Leone, non-Unforgiven western in Eastwood's catalog.

It's hard not to give credence to…

• Michael Gannaway / Hucksta G

★★★½

Beautifully shot with a solid first and last act but I found the middle to be a bit of a slog

• Henrik

★★★½

This is a pretty well-made movie, and it in many ways highlights the failings of modern action movies in how it sets up its tense scenes. No need for loud music and lots of movement – tension needs to be the result of what we know about characters and the story, and it needs to be earned.

Pale Rider does not have much of a story, nor is it interested in its own backstory, but it does well with what it has. I liked it.

• sharky_55

★★★½

Eastwood may have been the one to popularise the man with no name, but before he made this gruff remake, and before he shot to fame as the mysterious gunslinger, there was Alan Ladd in the eponymous Shane, who although has his name emblazoned all over, is more or less the same figure. The 1953 western is altogether a dirtier, enclosed affair, despite the state of an ageing, mid 50s Eastwood's beard. When Ladd rides off into the sunset at…

• AustinBitikofer

★★★★½

I wish Eastwood would do at least 1 more western.

• Rui Alves de Sousa

★★★½

A meticulous copy of Leone's symbols and language (even the jackets of the bad guys are the same as Fonda's gang in "Once Upon A Time In The West"), that fails because it is so caricatured in everything - the goofy villains, the clichés, etc. It's laughable from time to time and has beautiful shots. Not one of Eastwood's best, but one of his most easily enjoyable films.

• Mao__

Absoluter Durchschnitt. Das Problem ist, dass er aufgrund seines Alters und keiner guten Remasterung auch nicht mehr wirklich gut aussieht daher 4 anstatt 5/10