• Annie Dugan

typical western plot line
    Not a Bechdel film

• Lewis Holt

★★★★ Watched by Lewis Holt 03 Aug, 2015

Another majestic performance from a screen icon, pale rider is another outstanding western which for me is along side the likes of unforgiven and high plains drifter.

• Mike Scholtz

★★ Rewatched by Mike Scholtz 02 Aug, 2015

If this was the first Western you'd ever seen, I bet you would really like it.

I did not.

And I see Clint Eastwood is as bad at using fake dead dogs as he is at using fake live babies.

• Tim Lawrence

★★★ Watched by Tim Lawrence 25 Jul, 2015

Full disclosure: I watched this on TV, so the editing was butchered and there were commercials, none of which did the film any favors.

With all that in mind, I'm not really sure what to make of this. The story is a barely-altered regurgitation of the classic "Shane," and "Pale Rider" alternates between wholeheartedly embracing the western tropes, updating them for a more disillusioned 80s audience, and throwing in random hints at ambiguity. As with many of Eastwood's films, there…

• Matthew Rice

★★★ Watched by Matthew Rice 21 Jul, 2015

About as formulaic a Western as there ever was. A stranger rides into down, helps a bunch of strangers stand up to some no-good rich mining company bullies. The end.

That said, it hits all the right beats and you do get some satisfaction from the predictable outcome when it finally comes but you could just about make this film by cutting scenes together from Clints previous outings.

I will add that it always seems like a big Eastwood ego…

• Andy Summers

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andy Summers 16 Jul, 2015

Clint Eastwood has been a Hollywood legend for many years now both as an actor and director of high quality movies, but Eastwood really made his name in television back in the late 1950's as a cowboy in Rawhide. With that background in the Western genre, it's maybe not that big a surprise that Eastwood's career has some very influential Westerns at its pinnacle. Pale Rider may not be as famous as those spaghetti Westerns he made with Leone back…

• Henry Chivers

★★★ Rewatched by Henry Chivers 13 Jul, 2015

Another good man with no name movie.

• DER Schmidt

★★★ Watched by DER Schmidt 09 Jul, 2015

Kein sehr beeindruckender Western. Alles sehr nach 'Schema F'.

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

Clint Eastwood's first western following his 1976 The Outlaw Josey Wales plays like an anthology of forbidden images: it finds room for all the classic moments—the clattering charge of a group of horsemen across the open plain, the silent showdown on Main Street, even “Dance, mister!”—that were virtually banned from the screen when the form entered its commercial decline. For anyone mourning the disappearance of the richest genre in American film, Eastwood's assured, uncondescending evocation of its contours would have…

• PabstBlueSwayze

★★★★ Watched by PabstBlueSwayze 14 Mar, 2015

One of Eastwood's relatively earlier films, this ethereal western pits a god-like drifter against a greedy capitalist and crooked sheriff with, as imagined, riveting results and brutal violence. Fantastic western through and through.

• Lars Sieval

★★★★ Watched by Lars Sieval 04 Jul, 2015

It's been awhile since I've watched Clint star in a Western and I must say this one was quite the fun! Eastwood plays "Preacher" (does he ever plays characters in Westerns with real names? And he's kinda the horseman of Death! And he's badass! He protects a free gold diggers. (Not the ones from the Kanye West song!). And all I have to say is: It ends in a nice shootout! The shots are beautiful and the story has a nice pace and is fun!

Solid Western Clint!