• parkthesedaze

★★★½ Added by parkthesedaze

Williams does a decent job here. Clearly more of the same, but makes up for the cliche with excellent characters and the constant genuine feeling of dread.

• Sheena

★★★★★ Added by Sheena

I'm aware that it is basically a bit of a rehash of the first installment, but the pacing was even more effective to me. The family was likable too. There was just the right amount of time to develop some background and create concern. I particularly liked how it delved into the possible origin of the occurrences. You just receive tiny bits of information and it allows you to contemplate everything. I love it when a film gives me permission to use my imagination.

Looking forward to part three.

• MrBishop

½ Rewatched by MrBishop 17 Nov, 2015

Even worse than the first, if you can imagine that. Horribly telegraphed "scares", awful characters you want dead, padded runtime. Horrible film.

• Joshua Bertram

★★★½ Added by Joshua Bertram

Relying on the same formula as the first film, but adding a few extra characters, Paranormal Activity 2 hits all the right notes in creating psychological horror. This prequel-sequel set before, during, and right after the events of the first film, follows the sister of the original protagonist, Katie, and her family. It's a clever way of tying the two films together while giving license to expand the mythology.

There are a few new tricks here, besides just a new…

• Mickey Chiechi

★★½ Rewatched by Mickey Chiechi 31 Oct, 2015

One of the weaker entries in the series, Paranormal Activity 2 does nothing new or exciting with the found footage medium and its furthering of the mythology is not particularly interesting (and even sort of disappointing.)

The characters in the first film, while in my opinion serviceable, were little more than avatars for the audience. Here they've attempted to bring more character to their characters, but I think they failed by treading too lightly. We never really get to know…

• coffeekermit07

★★ Rewatched by coffeekermit07 01 Nov, 2015

For the most part of the film, nothing really happens. And every time something does happen, it happens off-screen. Add to that some plot holes and Katie's and Kristi's taste for giant douchebags for husbands and you got yourself a pretty dull movie.

Still, there are some creepy and somewhat atmospheric scenes in there, so - it's not a total stinker.

• Megan Baker

★½ Rewatched by Megan Baker 31 Oct, 2015

Much like the first one, scarier in the theaters, less effective when you know what's coming. In this sequels case, it's a lot more boring and not much of a pay off. Dogs and babies don't up the ante.

• Cuntis

★★★ Rewatched by Cuntis 01 Nov, 2015

Not anywhere near as scary as the first or third but these films get under my skin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Chase Eiland

★★★½ Watched by Chase Eiland 24 Oct, 2011

With the first Paranormal Activity movie, I felt its strength was the way it established a normal, easy to relate to couple and instilled fear and terror in the viewers in a realistic way. It's weaknesses were pretty much all technical film making issues; mostly the low budget effects and production. That was because it was SUPER low budget; the movie was made for $15,000. With this "parallel prequel" those weaknesses were erased completely thanks to the huge success of…

• ButchnSundance

★★★ Added by ButchnSundance

Picking up where the opening installment left off, "Paranormal Activity 2" takes us on another netherworldly ride as we witness common suburban household affectations turn terrorizing. Once again we scan the screen, searching for shadowy movement in every corner, present or perceived, as demons rage like hell to possess a home and all of it's inhabitants.

If you dug the original, you'll likely find satisfaction in this jump-scary follow-up as we come to discover that when it comes to being…

• Matt Reifschneider

★★ Rewatched by Matt Reifschneider 28 Oct, 2015

If the first film lacked a bit on repeated viewings, Paranormal Activity 2 might actually grow a bit stronger on repeated viewings - if only for the fact that they pull off some fun stuff to make it connect with the first film that I might not have caught the first time around. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the film from being un-scary due to its "been there, done that" feeling. It misses out on capitalizing on some fun new elements (dog, baby) but nails the fun twist of being a prequel. So there is that.

• alibrarianslib

★★★ Watched by alibrarianslib 26 Oct, 2015

I didn't realize that this whole series was based on the same characters. I am even more intrigued now! :)

This one was definitely less outright scary, though having a baby and a dog involved in the plot made it much more nerve-wrecking.

I will be watching the rest soon.